• Published 18th Mar 2014
  • 970 Views, 28 Comments

Hush now, quiet now. - stained-glass



Fluttershy sings a lullaby. While whispers haunt her mind about kindness and cruelty. It's better to end it quickly then to suffer, right?

  • ...
5
 28
 970

Mercy

Fluttershy had been watching Spike for a while now. He seemed to be getting worse as time wore on. He had lost his luster, and he seemed faded perhaps even a bit grey. She supposed it made sense in a way. If greed could make him a large monster growing ever so large as the emotion grew. So too would he wither and suffer as his grief and sadness slowly consumed him. Poor Spike. "He's suffering you should... comfort him."

For once the voice had a good idea, Spike was clearly suffering. It wasn't like he should be Twilight was fine... She was just... resting. She would wake up soon and be full of health and vigor. It wasn't like she was hurting or anything... Just still.

Yes for now Spike needed her kindness, and if anything she had plenty to spare. She held him tight, perhaps he wasn't getting enough sleep. A baby dragon needed all the rest he could get didn't he? Plus the hospital was a terrible place to rest, with all the light and noise. Plus it'd be hard for Spike to actually get any rest while here. He'd be too distracted by Twilight.

"Come on Spike, let's get you home so you can rest. Twilight will be here in the morning. She'll be fine you'll see." Fluttershy said, hugging Spike and gently nudging him towards the door.

As they walked to the library, Fluttershy couldn't help but take stock of Spike. Now that she was closely examining him the stark difference between how he normally was and now crashed into her mind. Before she had just noticed him being tired and dull. But now, now she noticed how gaunt he was, the fact he was missing a spine, the absence of the protective layer on his scales . Not to mention his eyes. They told the story all too well. She'd seen the look far too many times on some of her animal friends that were so sick that... That they didn't recover. "He's hurting so bad... You have to help him." Again the voice was right.

It was odd, she couldn't remember when the voice had changed. She had been right earlier, she was getting better with her fears and nerves. The voice was also was no longer tormenting her but helping her. Sure it had made mistakes and may have been misguided, but that was in the past. It was still a part of her wasn't it? So it seemed to figure if she got better so too would the voice. Right? Fluttershy nodded to herself, and decided at the very least she'd hear out the voice. She would no longer immediately ignore it. She wouldn't brush it off and ignore it as her fears and nerves talking to her.

After all she wasn't as afraid before. After all she wasn't thinking about it anymore, that meant she was better didn't it? Yep totally not thinking about how Twilight was going to die, or that she had lost all her horn. Twilight would be fine, she was strong and she had friends right? It wasn't like she was relying only on the fact that she was a unicorn, and being the Element of Magic. She still had being the protege to the Princess going for her. It wasn't like the Princess only picked her because she happened to notice her due to her strength in magic. After all friendship was magic... Wasn't it?

Fluttershy shook off the non thoughts that were distracting her. They were silly after all. Everything would be fine. It had to be. "Oh it will be, we will make sure of it. With a bit of... Kindness," she was glad that the voice was helping now

Spike and Fluttershy entered the Library and trotted up the stairs. Right now Fluttershy had to focus on helping Spike. He needed a bit of kindness right now, and who better to that then her? Fluttershy tucked Spike into his basket, she started to hum quietly then slowly started to sing a soft lullaby.

As she finished she smiled happily as she noticed that Spike had fallen asleep during her lullaby. It was nice that she could help. "He should rest, as long as he can... You should help him."

She nodded as she kissed Spike and hugged him, yes she really should help him... rest. He needed his sleep he was a baby dragon after all, and still growing. Growing things needed, rest, love and plenty of food. She and Rarity had managed to coax him to eat some so now to take care of the other two. "Yes help him rest, after all you don't want him to suffer more do you? He'll just be hurt if he watches Twilight tomorrow."

Fluttershy pondered that as she watched Spike sleeping. He looked so peaceful, as if all his troubles had been washed away. It would be best if he stayed like that, wouldn't it? Fluttershy could help with that, besides it would be a kindness now wouldn't it be? Fluttershy smiled as she hugged Spike holding him still and helping him sleep. Pouring every bit of love into the squeaze, as she covered him in her embrace. She barely even noticed him pushing at her, he was just hugging back wasn't he? Such a cute and adorable baby dragon. Always embarrassed by the girly stuff, that's why he was squirming, wasn't it? He really shouldn't be moving that much, he should be resting...

There that was better now, wasn't it? Yes, yes it was. He was better now. He wouldn't have to wake up and hurt or suffer anymore.