• Published 18th Mar 2014
  • 970 Views, 28 Comments

Hush now, quiet now. - stained-glass



Fluttershy sings a lullaby. While whispers haunt her mind about kindness and cruelty. It's better to end it quickly then to suffer, right?

  • ...
5
 28
 970

Change

The past few days had passed by in a blur for Fluttershy, she didn't really know what happened. But Twilight was bald now and had gauze around her head. Fluttershy had honestly gone through her days in a daze, habits and routine being the only reason her animals were doing fine. However for herself, she honestly wasn't. She spent all her time at the hospital watching Twilight. She was joined often with Spike, as Spike spent all his time there worrying over Twilight. Sometimes they were joined by her other friends.

But, everyone couldn't spend all their time here in the hospital. Dash had her weather work and just couldn't sit still; unable to do anything, Dash wanted to do something... Anything to help. Which lead her often being in the Library searching for some mystical cure or artifact that could help, even if it was an "egghead" thing to do. But Dash wanted to do something, and not... Not feel useless.

Applejack had the farm and her family to care for, not that she didn't make time to see Twilight, but more often then not the farm and her family took her time and concentration. Though she did lend quiet support to both Spike and Fluttershy when she could. She provided food and honest words to Spike and Fluttershy. Often saying something along the lines of, "Getting through this." Fluttershy's mind noticed she didn't say everything would be better...

Rarity had her sister to care for, as well as the shop. Though she had confessed to Fluttershy in a quiet moment she was only working to both to occupy her mind and ensure Spike had gems so he would eat. As Spike had lost most of his appetite and would only eat when cajoled by gems. More often then not Rarity was the only reason Spike was even caring for himself at this point.

Pinkie, honestly Fluttershy wasn't all that sure what was up with Pinkie. She'd either be frantically planning a "Get well soon Twilight" party, or moping about how sick Twilight was. The rapid bouncing of Pinkie's mood made Fluttershy a bit nauseous. Hopefully once Twilight was better Pinkie would stay cheerful. "If Twilight gets better," Fluttershy ardently ignored the whispers.

As for Spike, Fluttershy was worried for him. His eyes were sunken and red, he was either lethargic or pleading with a silent sleeping Twilight. Fluttershy thought that Spike had lost some of his gleam in his scale, and maybe he was shedding more often. Fluttershy wasn't sure if it was from seeing his mother/elder sister in such state, or his poor health due to focusing on Twilight's. Fluttershy did her best to comfort both Spike and do what she could for Twilight. More then often then not, this meant holding a crying Spike; or fluffing Twilight's pillow seeing as she couldn't really do anything else. "You're so worthless, you can't even help your friend. Some Element of Kindness you are!" her mind whispered.

The whispers were getting worse now. She couldn't quiet them. They were coming more frequently now too. The more she watched Twilight the louder they got. "She's suffering, end her!"

At least Fluttershy had gotten better about not reacting to them. She'd found herself becoming more and more numb to them. She hoped that meant she was making progress with her worries and fears. Honestly they didn't bother her as nearly as they once did. Because, because they weren't right... It was, it's just her nerves. Nothing was wrong, Twilight would recover... After all she was sleeping soundly, right? "Sleep is so peaceful, Twilight shouldn't wake up. She'll just suffer and hurt again. Especially now that she has no magic. After all what is a unicorn without her magic?"

The whispers were wrong... Weren't they? Twilight had her friends... Friendship was magic, their friendship would solve this. Just, just like it solved everything else. "Friendship won't bring back her horn."

Fluttershy whimpered softly, it was always like this. The whispers made her cringe, shiver and fear. It was only her friends that had helped her quiet them. But with all her friends either focusing on Twilight, or actually being Twilight and therefore sick, it was harder to silence those traitorous vile thoughts. Everything was going to be fine. It had to be. "Or I'll make it be," for once the whisper wasn't a whisper anymore, now it was a voice.