• Published 26th May 2014
  • 8,858 Views, 117 Comments

To Be A Parent - Pastel Pony



When the desperate tears of a teacher force Filthy Rich to at last see his daughter for what she is, it will be less than easy for him to rediscover what it means to be a father, and uncover the diamond of a filly he hopes exists in his daughter.

  • ...
12
 117
 8,858

Face Our Demons

I think the part I truly enjoy about my job is interacting with other ponies.

As much as I enjoy the quiet of an office and the methodical simplicity of paperwork, it can’t compare to the hubbub and culture one finds out in the center of town. In the quiet of a home with only three ponies living in it, the noise is something I relish.

Saturday mornings are the best days to be out on the streets. The mix of stalls nestled in between the shops, the smell of the fresh bread and flowers out on display, even the murmur of conversation amongst ponies as you pass them only adds to the charm of a weekend market.

In a way, I’m glad Diamond refused to come with me. Perhaps my favorite kind of peace is what I need to fully comprehend the situation with my daughter. There’s no point to spending time with her if I’m not prepared to start dealing with this issue head on.

If only I knew how.

The barrage of noise as I turn onto the crowded main road is all I need to draw me from my thoughts. Here, I don’t need to think or plan, only allow myself to smile and exchange my hellos with neighbors and friends. Everypony knows Pinkie Pie is the best when it comes to being acquainted with… Well, everypony, but I’d like to consider myself a close second.

When I slip into Bon Bon’s sweet shop, the smell of cinnamon tickles my muzzle and I sneeze. Glancing up from a cooling rack of cookies, the beige mare offers me a smile.

“Mr. Rich! I’m so glad you could come! Sorry about the smell, I tend to overdo it on the snicker doodles, Lyra really likes cinnamon.”

I chuckle and walk over to the counter, happily accepting the cookie Bon Bon offers me. I take a bite and, not for the first time, wish I could bake like this. “Delicious as always, Ms. Bon Bon, I think these would sell well in Manehatten.”

The mare actually squeaks and I have to fight back a smile. Did she really think I was kidding when I made the offer to put some of her candies and baked goods in my store in the big city?

“Oh, thank you Mr. Rich! I was so afraid you were coming here to tell me you’d changed your mind.”

“Young lady,” I nose my way into my saddlebags and grab the paperwork I have stored there, placing it in front of her. “I am nothing if not a stallion of my word. I think you will find that arrangement to your liking, but if not, I’m happy to make changes.”

She snorts as her eyes scan the papers. “You do realize you’re only a few years older than me, right?” She glances up just as I open my mouth to respond. “And don’t give me any rubbish about passing thirty suddenly making you old or something, you’re better looking then a lot of twenty-five year olds I know.”

I roll my eyes, but smile. “Don’t let your marefriend hear you say that.”

She makes a face, but her eyes are fond as she reaches for a pen. “Lyra knows she’s safe. Speaking of which, don’t think I didn’t notice those cookies levitate off, get out here you little thieves.”

I blink in surprise as a Lyra’s mint green and rather guilty looking form slinks around the corner, followed by a familiar lilac filly. “Hello Lyra, and… Dinky?”

Lyra offers me her usual enthusiastic smile and ruffles the filly’s mane. “Yup. Derpy has a thing today, so she asked us to watch the little scamp. Luckily, she’s a great partner in crime.”

Bon Bon gives her a half-hearted glare, and slaps away a green hoof that is inching towards the tray of cookies. “You’d better not be filling her head with all your crazy stories about your hunams, Lyra.”

Lyra rolls her eyes. “They’re called humans Bonnie, if you’re going to criticize my taste in studies, at least get the name right, geez.”

I chuckle, but keep my eyes trained on the filly that is now trying to sneak another cookie.

“I... I certainly know I’m right when Derpy writes to me because her daughter is crying about Diamond making fun of her for not knowing who her father is...

Bon Bon returns to the paperwork, signing her name on each page, then gives it back to me, all the while keeping up well-timed slaps to thieving hooves. “I think this all looks perfect., Mr. Rich. Perhaps we can do lunch sometime next week in order to finalize order choices.”

I nod and slip the papers back into my bag. “That sounds fine. Before I leave though, would you mind if I have a word with Dinky? I heard about some goings on at school I’d like to confirm, and I… can’t get a word out of Diamond on the subject.”

Bon Bon offers me a puzzled glance. “Sure. Um, as long as that’s ok with you Dinky?”

The filly offers me a similarly confused glance, but nods, and Bon Bon shoes her marefriend in to the kitchen before following after her. Dinky walks up to me, and frowns. “If there’s something going on at school, I don’t know about it either.”

I sigh. “I’m afraid you do actually, Dinky. Tell me… Does my daughter… What is she like at school?”

Her eyes go wide, and suddenly looks nervous, “I… She’s ok. We, uh, we don’t really spend much time together. Not that I avoid her or anything! But… um…”

I suspect cutting to the chase is the only way I’m going to get answers here. “She picks on you, doesn’t she?”

A tremor of what I shakily recognize as fear travels through her body. “How did you…?”

“Cheerilee told me.” I say softly. “And I’m so sorry, Dinky. I had no idea. But right now, I need you to tell me what she’s really like, because Celestia knows I’ve ignored the signs for too long.”

Dinky chews her bottom lips anxiously, but after a moment opens her mouth to respond. “She’s… awful. She's absolutely awful. She teases me about my father, and Berry about her mom. She and Silver spoon call us and the Cutie Mark Crusaders blank flanks. They made fun of Scootaloo for not being able to fly. Diamond steals Twist’s glasses all the time and hides them. She even pushed me once, and… I… Oh, I just hate her!” She freezes and clamps a hoof over he mouth. “I… I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine.” I tell her, though I am actually rather shaken by what she has said. Are things truly that bad?

The filly shakes her head. “It’s not. Mommy says you should never hate someone, even if they’re mean, ‘cause eveypony, unless they’re evil or Discord, do bad things because they hurt somewhere, even if they don’t know it, and they need help, not hatred.”

I stare at her, and in spite of myself, feel a small smile tug at the corners of my lips. “Thank you, Dinky. I’ll leave you to enjoy your day now. Tell Miss Bon Bon and Lyra goodbye for me.”

I turn to leave, but stop when I feel a hoof on my shoulder. Turning back, I see Dinky looking up at me, a stoic expression on her small face. “Bad things can hurt, Mr. Rich, but ignoring them just makes it worse. Sometimes we blame ourselves for things that aren’t really our fault, but there’s no point to that, because it doesn’t solve anything. The best thing to do is face our demons, and hope for the best. More often than not, things that seem impossible to do can be done quite easily, and the result can be good, better than things were before. You should remember that.”

I study the filly in front of me, and inexplicably feel both incredibly sad and much better. “When did the little filly I knew grow up so fast, huh?”

Dinky shrugs. “I’m just speaking from experience. Besides, we all have to grow up sometime.”

I smile. “Yes, that we do. Goodbye, Miss Dinky.” With that, I turn and walk out the door.

I need to see my daughter.

Author's Note:

Well, took nearly six months, but here's a new chapter for you!

I'm so terribly sorry this took so long, if you've been following my blog posts, you're aware of my rather meager explanations for my lack of work getting down...
On the bright side, the next chapter is just undergoing revisions, so should be up sometimes later this week... Friday or Saturday, probably.

Oh, p.s.
I’m just speaking from experience.
Yes, this is totally a reference to The Hooves Family Tree.

Have a nice day. :twilightsmile:

Comments ( 48 )

Well, that was certainly intriguing.

That was a wonderful chapter. I loved it. Go Dinky. Speaking wisdom beyond her years. Good luck with future chapters. This is going to be great.

Well damn, that's some wise stuff coming from Dinky!

Dinky might have hit the nail on the head. Diamond may be acting out because she never really let go of her pain (from her mother's death). Plus, Filthy dealt with his own grief by burying himself in his work. It's time for father and daughter to finally try to reconnect.

Dinky sounds like an old soul

Whoa ... an update! And a darn good one too. Dinky is wise indeed for her age ... hopefully her wisdom can make a difference here.

Heh, I just had a strange thought after reading this chapter. What would happen if Filthy Rich and Derpy/Ditzy got paired up? That would be an interesting ship.

What's the deal about Dinky's father? Did I miss something?

5263169

Derpy kinda had a wild period when she was young... Dinky is the product of a one-night stand, and thus doesn't know who her biological father is. (In this story canon, at least)

5262919

Actually, Filthy Rich and & Diamond's mother are divorced, her mom's just... really not present very often. I actually plan to have her make an appearance in the story once or twice.

Nice to see that you portray Dinky as I see her. Sweet and innocent but with wisdom beyond her years.

I've known a few kids that were like Dinky. Their lives were shit. And I don't just mean "sometimes didn't have anything for dinner" or "parents were too harsh," I mean "grew up in a literal war zone."

Seriously, one told me that he will always be happy to be alive because he woke up one night to find a hole in his ceiling and a dud mortar shell stuck in the floor next to his bed. He said that every minute of his life that went on from that point was undoubtedly a gift from God.

Anyway, good chapter. Can't wait to see more.

5263579 Sorry, I forgot.:twilightsheepish: There are so many different scenarios with Diamond's mom, that I get them confused.:facehoof:

Dinky suddenly became a guru.
New headcanon acquired.

As always, great chapter, Pastel.

I don't want to know what Dinky had to race to grow up that fast.

And geeze.

Diamond Tiara, you need a spanking and freakin' professional help! For goodness shake she does!

And Silver Spoon, IMHO isn't truly a toady or nasty herself, she's imitating Diamond TIara.

Well, took nearly six months, but here's a new chapter for you!

Here's my reply to that. "WORTH IT!" Lyra and Bon Bon's interaction was well written and that combined with Dinky's words of wisdom earned you a place in my inspirational section. :twilightsmile:

A short but powerful chapter.

More glorious words. And Sage Dinky.

Also,

hunams

lol Spathi.

There seems to be spate of Tiara reform fics at the moment... and this update is a welcome addition to the list. Keep up the good work!

Yeah! Tell 'im, Dinky!

that's a lot for a little kid to just come up with on the spot

Dinky (and by extension Derpy) now confirmed as givers of sage advice.
This is a really great story and I am truly excited to see more of it.:eeyup:

Dinky always was a filly wise beyond her years. Growing up with Derpy gives you a pure heart, but a look into the cruelty that others can use. She's the perfect mix of innocent and wise. Still subject to all the vices of a child, but able to see past them when needed and know how to rise above it. Someday I hope I have a daughter like Dinky.

Loved how you stopped by Bonnie's sweet shop, her and Lyra are so much more than "that one couple". Bon-Bon is very mature, straightforward, and a bit of a hard flank. Which makes it all the more awesome when her filly-in-a-mare's-body mare friend Lyra gets up to her antics. Was a little surprised to see Dinky instead of Toostie Flute, but it reinforced the close friendship between the Background Six.

Can't wait for the next chapter! This is one of my favorite interpretations of Filthy Rich so far! I wonder how you will portray Diamond Tiara? What demons lie between this cruel filly and her distant father?

(Do you beileve that Suri Polomare is DT's mom? It makes SO much sense! They share color schemes, personalities, lack of concern for others, get ahead at all costs, and EVERYTHING! Suri would be the kind of mare to worm into Filthy's life, have a daughter to lock him in. Until he decides she's a bad influence on his daughter and life and kicks her out. It's so perfect.)

5270043

It would make a good story... it helps that in canon, Suri lives in Manehattan, and Diamond Tiara's mother has never been seen, despite Babs' threat in One Bad Apple.

5270272 I think Bab's threat was more towards both Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara, not referencing that she knew Diamond's mom. Still... Babs having dirt on Diamond Tiara's broken parents gives me a certain evil thrill. >:)

Probably a little too late, but you could always thrown in hunts onto who her mother is. We can assume she moved to Baltimare after the divorce to start anew, away from her ex-husbands direct influence. They wouldn't talk about her in Ponyville. Plus, it provides a realistic and relatable reason that DT is a jerk.

But it's your story, don't let me interfere! I'm still not that good :P


5270043
5270272

While she would make an interesting choice, I'm afraid Suri isn't DT's mom in this story.

If you recall, I originally referenced the former Mrs. Rich in Numbers...
She actually ran away to Prance with another stallion, not Manehatten. (She's moved around a bit since then, though.)
While she is a canon character, she's not one we see a lot of in the show.
However, she seemed the right age and had the kind of air I'm going for: Not necessarily a bad pony, but one that's a bit flighty, shallow, and a tad self-centered.

Since she'll make an appearance in a chapter or two, that's all I'm gonna say. Have fun speculating till then!:raritywink:

5270448

I think that bit of information just gave her away... she's totally Coco Pommel.

5270448 Photo Finish? Dare I say Octavia?

Normally I don't wait six months for the next chapter on a story to come out. I just... let it go.
But I waited here. I will keep waiting because I know that this story is worth it.

unless they’re evil or Discord,

Discord just doesn't know any better.
fimfiction-static.net/images/story_images/185927.png?1399511326

Ah Dinky, so wise yet so adorable. That filly, no matter what fanfic I am reading, never ceases to amaze me.:twilightsmile:

Just popping in to reread this.

5305330 "Oh, look at that. A [blank] that doesn't know any better." Sorry, I just had to. But could you imagine TFS Popo meeting Discord? And fill the blank with whatever you want.

As for the story, it's good so far, and I can't wait for the next chapter.

5723565 I just hope I'm still alive by the time it's published...

When is the next chapter of this story coming out?:twilightsheepish:

Well, I'm tracking this until further notice.

I'll be tracking this.

just wondering if there is any word on the next chapter of this story

I forgot about this...hope it's still a thing.

Will there be a new chapter anytime soon?:twilightsheepish:

Is this story going to be continued?:rainbowhuh:

YOU MUST CONTINUE IT!!!

7381779

Hopefully I'll continue it someday, but I'm currently on an indefinite hiatus from fimfiction, apologies!! :twilightsheepish:

7386402 Well, let's hope this hiatus will end some time in the future. This story is good, and we would like to know more :twilightsmile:

18 months and what?

Happy post-Thanksgiving 2019, lovely story so far, I hope you come back to it eventually. Best wishes for success in this and all of your future endeavors.

Login or register to comment