• Published 17th Mar 2014
  • 3,837 Views, 220 Comments

The Lost Princesses - Night--Mist



Twilight is at the library again and notices a book that sparks her interest.

  • ...
6
 220
 3,837

The Discovery

Twilight Sparkle had just finished her latest book on Starswirl The Bearded's spells to keep herself ahead on the assignments her mentor Princess Celestia gave her. "Wow, so that's how Starswirl was able to stop that volcano from going off. Never thought dragons would help him though," Twilight said to herself.

"Hey, what's that's supposed to mean?" Spike asked aggressively.

"Oh, no, I didn't mean dragons like you Spike. It's just he used Neighgerian Sharpsnouts. They're nasty pieces of work, child or adult," Twilight apologized.

"Oh, wow, uh, guess I can't argue there," Spike said. He had done some research recently about all different kinds of dragons, but nothing that gave any hint of what his dragon mother might have been like.

Twilight giggled and nuzzled her number one assistant before heading back to an area of the library only students of Celestia's school were allowed access to. As she put the book away, there was a gust of wind that knocked a book off its shelf. Twilight thought more then likely that another student must have not put it away properly. It wasn't a very large book, in fact, it seemed to have very few pages at all. It was as she was putting it back on the shelf, the title caught her eye. It read: The Lost Daughters of Celestia.

"Strange, I never read this story before," Twilight said.

"What story Twilight?" Spike asked as he helped put some more books away.

"This book called "The Lost Daughters of Celestia". I've never read it before," Twilight admitted.

"Really, but you've read like every book in the library, and wouldn't there be like, a copy of that in that one book about myths and legends, like the tale of the pony sisters?" Spike asked.

"How did you know about the pony sisters myth?" Twilight answered with her own question.

"You're not the only one reads you know," Spike crossed his arms, insulted about his intelligence being questioned.

"Oh, I'm sorry Spike, I didn't mean it like that," Twilight apologized once more.

"Well, care to find out what the story is about, I haven't read it yet," Spike said.

"Well... I guess we could spare the time. It's a short paged book and lunch with the Princess isn't for another hour," Twilight said.

"Well, let's get to reading then, er, you read, I'll listen," Spike said.

"Alright here we go," Twilight opens the book and reads, "Our story begins as so, ever since the banishment of Nightmare Moon, Celestia was reminded of two things, that she had done the right thing to protect her subjects and that her sister would be away from her for many years to come. Her heart was split. On one hoof she was happy knowing her subjects were safe from harm. On the other hoof, it was a painful for her, for she was now alone. Within a year of the defeat of Nightmare Moon, Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns was introduced. To her subjects, it was a chance to study under the Princess of Day herself. To her, it was a chance to find an apprentice, one she didn't need to treat like everyone else."

"Wow, I didn't know it started that quickly," Spike said, interested in the story.

"Well, let's read on," Twilight said, more interested then ever and continues, "Many that she taught aspired to greatness, such as Starswirl the Bearded, who had helped to teach Clover the Clever. Others were less recognized but did do many things for the benefit of all pony kind. Throughout the entire millennium, every one of her students had to move on, and once more her loneliness would seep in. She felt that this shouldn't go on forever. She longed to have somepony to care for, and knew that having a mate and maybe a child of her own would take away her loneliness that was eating away at her, even though she missed her sister all the same. Thus, came a mate who had won her heart, and soon married her. But their marriage was short lived. Not long after their union as a couple, a terrible storm had occurred and claimed the life of her beloved. She was alone once again. Or so she thought. Within months of her mate's death, the Princess of Day came to discover she was with foal. She was overjoyed.

Then came the bad news. One of her leading advisers and an old time friend of the royal family told her that it was urgent she keep it secret. True there was no pony who was against her, but all the same, there were some ponies out there, very crafty in their work, that would see an opportunity to ransom her foal for a heavy price, and if Nightmare Moon was to ever return from her banishment, her foal's life would be in even greater danger if she were to discover their existence. She couldn't afford putting her little one in such danger and let this be known to the public, so it was made known through the castle staff, guards and nobles that her foal's conception be kept secret. Princess Aqua Mane, Princess Celestia's sister in law, and a very kind princess, had promised to keep it a secret, but knew that her newborn son, Prince Blue Blood, would be too innocent, and might accidentally spill the beans, so she kept the secret from him as well. Wait Princess Aqua Mane knows of this?"

"That's pretty deep. Keep reading," Spike insisted, anxiously wanting to know more.

Twilight nodded and read, "After many months of her pregnancy, Celestia soon gave birth to not one, but three foals, all fillies and alicorns. Celestia was overjoyed to hold her daughters in her hooves. The joy once again was short lived. She had only had them for a few months, but knew they could not stay with her. Raising them in secret would be too risky of a decision to take. All it would take was one mistake, and the secret would be known to those who might harm them. Celestia knew she had to put them into the care of others, but they all had to be raised in separate families until the time was right. To this day, the three daughters of Princess Celestia remain hidden in plain sight, unaware of their true origins. They could be any pony, a unicorn, a pegasus, or an earth pony. Of course, this is all said to be myth from all the verbal stories passed around. I write this in hopes that somepony or the lost princesses themselves may find it one day and find a way to reunite the royal family and lift the heavy burden off our beloved Princess of Day."

"Wow, three ponies that are Celestia's daughters, that's amazing," Spike said.

"Yes it is. But we have no idea who they are, where to find them. It doesn't even tell us what they look like or what they may be doing in their daily lives," Twilight said.

"Does it say who the author is?" Spike asked.

Twilight looked over the book and saw that there was some cursive hoofwriting on it, but it read: Unknown.

"It says the author is unknown. Seems they don't want anypony knowing who wrote this. I can't blame them. I mean, if I knew about this, I'd hide my identity too if I was giving out this information. Still wonder how it ended it up here though," Twilight said.

"Who knows? Gosh, wouldn't it be wild if you might be one of the missing princesses?" Spike inquired.

"Hmhmhm, oh Spike, your letting that story go to your head. I couldn't be one of her daughters. I don't look anything like her, and I haven't seen another mare my age that has any similarities to me. I think you need to lay off the emeralds a bit, you know how those affect you sometimes," Twilight said.

"Hey, I haven't had one emerald all day," Spike defended himself.

"Riiight, that's why I didn't see you sneaking some behind your back at breakfast this morning while Chef Apple Dumpling wasn't looking and then munching on them while reading," Twilight said.

"Aw rats, you got me Twilight, but that oatmeal can only do so much, and I had to give it some spice with that amethyst gem when his back was turned. Can you blame me for taking them? I was hungry," Spike admitted in defeat.

"Hmhmhm, no Spike, I don't blame you. I know how dragons get quite an appetite, even baby dragons," Twilight felt a rumble in her tummy and continued, "And speaking of appetites, all this reading has made me hungry, and it's just about time for our lunch with the Princess."

"Then lets go, I'm starving," Spike said.

Twilight giggled and soon turned to leave for the dining hall, with Spike hopping onto her back as he had done on many occasions. Soon the two were off to the dining hall.

Author's Note:

Well, here's chapter one. Hope you all enjoyed it and hope to hear positive comments and constructive criticism. So Celestia has three daughters. Who could they be? Where are they? What do they look like? Only future chapters can reveal this mystery. This story was inspired by a picture a found on derpiboo.ru
I do not take credit for the picture and thank it's original artist for inspiring this idea. Stay tuned for further chapters.