• Published 15th Mar 2014
  • 2,052 Views, 47 Comments

A Day In Ponyville - FelixTheBrony



This is the everyday life of the Elements of Harmony now that they've settled down...But everyday life with them is anything but normal.

  • ...
32
 47
 2,052

Cutie Mark Crusaded Part Two

There was a silence that reigned in the library as the Apple siblings, Soarin and Spike sat in the kitchen, carving pumpkins, piling them in the corner. “...So uh. How many pumpkins do we actually need?” Soarin asked, finishing the one he was working on.

Spike rolled his eyes. “We only needed six, but Pinkie wanted all the additional pumpkin to make, as she puts it, the world's most super duper, really big pumpkin pie!”

“You bet!” Pinkie exclaimed, popping out of the pumpkin that Applejack was about to start stabbing into, causing her to fall back in surprise. “It'll be the biggest most fantastic pumpkin pie ever!”

“...I thought you were at your parent's place?” Spike asked, confused. Applebloom grinned.

“Haha! Plot hole!” Mac rose his eyebrow while helping Applejack up.

“It ain't really a plot hole, more a continuity error...”

“Plot hole!”

“...Alright...” He sighed, slowly carving his pumpkin so the side had the shape of an apple. He blinked and shook his head. “Ah'm hungry...”

“...Gee, Twilight an' Rainbow sure 'ave been in there fer a while...” Applejack muttered.

Almost as if they were cued, Twilight was leading Rainbow Dash to the table, both of them taking a seat silently. Spike looked to Twilight, quizzically.

“So...How'd it go?” Twilight pointed to Rainbow, who's left eye had started twitching. “...So just about as well as I took it.”

Applebloom crossed her hooves. “Just be thankful that Twilight didn't draw any pictures ta help git her point across...” She said, glaring at her sister, who feigned innocence by whistling.

“...Why would he put that in there...?” Rainbow muttered to herself, eyes wide in fear. “He...He pees outta that thing!”

The sound of Twilight's hoof hitting her own face could be heard from all and her groan of frustration soon followed. “I really don't want to explain all of that again, Rainbow, it was awkward enough the first time!”

“...Why...?” She continued to mutter, sending strange looks over at Mac. Somewhere between fear and curiousity...It unnerved him a little.

“Oh hey Pinkie, when'd you get here?!” Twilight said loudly, trying to turn the subject in another direction.


“Thunderlane, please hold still.” Rarity said, wrapping a few linen wraps around his chest and neck. Thunderlane groaned a bit, but complied.

“Sorry Rares, but I really need to go!” He complained, trying his hardest to keep the dams from bursting. Rarity rolled her eyes.

“Thunderlane, this is the fourth time in the last hour you've needed to go to the bathroom. Why did you drink so much water?” Thunderlane rolled his eyes a bit.

“I got really thirsty all of a sudden. My throat is still a little dry come to think of...” The stallion broke his sentence when he had to yawn and blink his eyes back into focus. “Come to think of it.”

Rarity gave him a concerned look. “You can't be tired, dear, you just woke up from a nap.” She said, worry practically dripping off her tongue. “Do you have the Feather Flu?”

“I can't, I already had the Feather Flu.” Thunderlane replied, feeling his legs start to feel quite heavy and another yawn escaping his lips. He then had to quickly clench his legs together before he accidently relaxed too much.

Rarity dropped her magical grip on the wrap, allowing Thunderlane to move. “Right, we're going to the Hospital. Clearly something is very wrong!” She said, trotting towards the phone. “You can go to the bathroom now.”

Thunderlane nodded and stumbled his way into said bathroom.


“We ready to go?!” Scootaloo grinned, lining her scooter up next to Rumble on his Skateboard, ready to start a race to the library.

“All set!” He replied, glancing back at Winona who was happily munching on her dog food.

“Then first one to the library wins!” The orange filly said flapping her petite wings a little in preparation. “Three...two...GO!” She announced, rushing off ahead of a distressed Rumble.

“What happened to one?!” He yelled after her as he took off. She turned back on her scooter, continuing backwards, sticking her tongue out at him.

“Rule one! Always expect the unexpected!” Rumble rolled his eyes at her.

“I don't care how many times you say that, it doesn't mean that you keeping fourty cans of beans in your closet in case of zombie attacks is normal!” She turned back and zoomed off ahead, Rumble trying his darnedest to keep up with her.

“Gee, I don't remember her being this fast!” He thought to himself, turning out of the way of a tree that he doesn't remember seeing before.

The two soon cleared the orchard and found the path towards Ponyville. Scootaloo grinned and took a detour towards Fluttershy's cottage. Startled, Rumble decided to follow along.


“See, Flutters! There's nothin' ta be afraid of!” Braeburn called from their back yard, throwing some chicken feed to the chickens.

Fluttershy peeked out from behind her curtains, glancing left and right for signs of danger. “O-okay...But just hurry!”

Braeburn chuckled under his breath as he moved on to feed some of the birds that preferred the outside over the inside.

Suddenly he noticed something creating a little dust cloud in the distance. He shook his head, thinking it was just some of the larger animals hurrying back from the forest to get some food.

Then he noticed a flicker of orange in the cloud and the sound of insane laughter.

Remembering many stories of the headless pony who hung a pumpkin around what remained of his neck to see where he was going and who's head he was to take next.

So Braeburn did the logical thing. He screamed in fear, and rushed into the cottage, slamming the door behind him, and grabbed Fluttershy and some garlic, heading upstairs.

Fluttershy, understandably, also let out startled little cries as they got up the stairs. “What's outside?!”

“Headless Pony! Don't worry though, they don't like garlic!”

“That's Vamponies!”


Meanwhile, in the dust cloud, Scootaloo was laughing hysterically as a few of the faster birds decided to peck her mane free of the bugs that had found their way in there from the speed she was going. “Guys! You're tickling me!”

After a while, the birds saw the large bag of bird feed that Braeburn had left behind and flew over to help themselves. She giggled a couple more times before continuing, pulling her scooter up with her as she flew over the fence for a few seconds.

Rumble did the same thing with his skateboard and pulled up besides her. “So why did we go round Fluttershy's place?”

“I wanted to if she was coming out this year, turns out she's not! I heard her scream and run back inside!”

“You think we spooked her?”

“Maybe.”

“Oh well, there's always nexTREE!!” Rumble cried, his skateboard wobbling in panic as he fell off and landed on the ground with a thump.

Scootaloo, on the other hoof, had turned and saw the very large and thick oak tree in front of her.

She knew that she couldn't stop in time to avoid crashing into it, nor could she veer to the side as she'd just fall into it. So instead, she pulled the front of her scooter up, allowing the front wheel to hit the tree bark, before the back wheel propelled her up, vertically.

Rumble watched, amazed as Scootaloo continued to ride her scooter at a ninety degree angle towards the heavens on the tree bark. Though he did get to flying up to catch her once she ran out of tree bark.

Panicked, Scootaloo flapped her tiny wings as fast as she could to fly, but all previous flight lessons she had just vanished from her mind. She was about fifty feet in the air and her propulsion was still heading up, even more so since she let her scooter fall to gravity's judgement.

There was a bright flash from somewhere, but it didn't really matter to her at this point since gravity finally decided to catch up to her and she started falling too.

Rumble glanced around quickly and, as luck would have it, there was a cloud right next to him, so he pushed it down, below Scootaloo, and quickly melded it into the form of a trampoline.

Once Scootaloo hit the cloud trampoline, it tensed up as her weight hit it, before sending her back up in time for Rumble to catch her. She glanced up at Rumble, who was holding her in a bridal style, before wrapping her hooves around him, happily.

Another bright flash overtook the area as he brought them back to the Earth below. “Thanks R-Rumble...I'd be a pancake if it weren't for you...” Rumble rubbed the back of his head sheepishly as Scootaloo got back to her hooves, a little wobbly as the adrenaline in her system was yet to leave just yet.

“No need for thanks. What kinda coltfriend would I be if I just let you fall?” He asked before noticing something off about some of the fur on Scootaloo.

He looked over, causing her to blush a bit. “Um...Could you maybe...not stare at my flank?”

Rumble shook out of his little moment and blushed. “Oh, sorry. I just thought I saw some red on your fur.”

“Red?” She asked, glancing back at her flank and her eyes widened in surprise.

There, on her flank, was a picture of two red flags crossed over each other in an 'X' form. “MY CUTIE MARK!!” She cheered before pausing and looking at it again. “Uh...What's it mean? My special talent isn't falling, is it?”

“I think I've seen a similar cutie mark on some stunt ponies before. Though it wasn't flags, sometimes it was swords and this one time I saw arrows. Maybe performing dangerous stunts is your talent?” Scootaloo thought about that, grinning a bit.

“Well...That does sound pretty awesome...” She then noticed a picture on Rumble's flank and smiled. “Hey Rumble, you got your cutie mark too!”

Rumble glanced back in surprise. His flank had a picture of a cloud with a chisel next to it. “I'm a...Cloud sculptor?”

“Well...You did make that trampoline pretty fast.” Scootaloo responded, nuzzling his chin. “We'll figure it out later but for now, we have a race to finish...”

“Uh Scootaloo.” Rumble interrupted. “Where's your scooter?”

Scootaloo looked like she was about to respond before said scooter fell out of the tree and slammed onto the ground next to them, the wheel falling off and the frame bending at a very awkward angle.

The two stared at it for a while, before Scootaloo grinned at him, sheepishly. “Um...Can I trouble you for a lift?”


“A little to the left!” Pinkie ordered Mac as he pushed a large, cauldron with green punch inside with several apples bobbing in the concoction. He grunted, but complied. “Okay! To the right!”

Mac moved to the other side and pushed it back a bit. “A little more to the left!”

After he did that, Pinkie declared. “Actually I liked it where it was!”

Mac sighed and dragged it back. “Perfect!” Mac nodded and left the room, bumping into Rainbow.

“Oh, hey Rainbow.” Mac said cheerfully, nuzzling the top of her head. Dash immediately recoiled and looked a little scared.

“Uh...Hey Mac...Um sorry got to talk to penis...I MEAN PINKIE!” She corrected herself, before rushing into the room and diving into the apple bopping cauldron. Mac sighed again and left to find his sister.

Pinkie shook her head and pulled Rainbow out of the cauldron. “Rainbow...” She said in a disappointed tone.

“I know...” Rainbow replied, looking down. “It shouldn't bother me that much and Mac has never pushed me to have sex with him before, why would he now?” Rainbow shook her head. “Yeah, maybe I'm just over-reacting.

Pinkie blinked as Dash started talking to herself. “Uh...I was just going to say that the apple bopping is supposed to be for later!”


Thunderlane squirmed as he and Rarity sat in Doctor Stable's office. Rarity glanced at him. “Do you need to go to the bathroom again?”

“...kinda...” Just as he said this, Doctor Stable walked into the room with a somewhat tight frown on his face.

“Okay, we've taken a few tests and we finally found the problem.” Rarity sighed in relief.

“Oh thank goodness, so you can prescribe him something, can't you?”

“Unfortunately this isn't just a quick fix medical problem...” The doctor replied, turning to Thunderlane. “I'm sorry to have to tell you this, Thunderlane, but you have Diabetes...”

Thunderlane gasped, then started coughing as the air rushed down his incredibly dry throat. Rarity decided to carry on the conversation. “What's Diabetes?”

Doctor Stable's horn lit up and a book was moved in front of him. “Diabetes is an illness that affects the pancreas. That's the organ that regulates our blood sugar levels by secreting a hormone called insulin.”

“A pony with Diabetes has a problem with their pancreas which means that insulin is not being secreted and it raises their blood sugar levels to extreme heights. This can cause trouble for water regulation in the body since the water in their muscles will be drawn into their bloodstream to try and regulate their blood sugar levels.” He continued, noticing Thunderlane taking a big drink of water from the cooler he had in his office.

“Not to worry though. Diabetes is one of the diseases that is very manageable.” He said, using his magic to levitate two devices towards them. “This device here is a glucose monitor. It's used to measure a pony's blood sugar levels. All they need to do is use this pricker to get a small amount of blood out of the pony's arm, then they use this strip to absorb that blood while in the machine and the machine will tell you your blood sugar levels.”

Doctor Stable then held out his hoof and Thunderlane decided to allow the doctor to do his job. He felt a light sting as the small needle jabbed his skin.

There was a beeping and Doctor Stable showed the result to the other two ponies, showing a 23.4 mmol/L (millimol per litre). “Now a pony's blood glucose levels should be between 5 and 6. So this is when you would use this.”

Thunderlane gulped as he noticed the doctor place a needle on top of an injector pen. “Since your pancreas can't release insulin, you need to get it into your bloodstream manually. The easiest way is to inject it into your thigh, shoulder or stomach.”

“...” Thunderlane responded, staring at the needle. “Just get it over with!”

Rarity looked at him in sympathy. She knew that he had a very big fear of needles, but it's these needles that were now needed to keep him alive. She cringed a bit when she heard him yelp when the needle pierced his shoulder and a set amount of the fluid entered his system.

“Now it should be mentioned that it'll take a few minutes for the insulin to take effect, but you should be fine after it does. I should also point out that doing exercise will burn off energy and thus, your blood sugar levels will go down, so you'll need to eat something with sugar in before hand. You take an injection before every meal and just before you go to bed.”

“Here, this book shoulder have the answers to any questions you may have, but if you have anymore, don't be afraid to ask me.” The Doctor finished, giving them a book as well as the BM (Blood Measure) machine, injector pen, some needles and a prescription for more.

“Thank you very much Doctor Stable.” Thunderlane said, feeling some moisture return to his throat.

“Yes, we are very grateful.” Rarity concluded as the two of them left. Thunderlane immediately rushing towards the bathroom.


“So...uh...” Applebloom paused, looking over the newly arrived Button and Sweetie Belle. “...Ah give up, what are you to supposed ta be?”

Button was wearing a green tunic with a green hat and a plastic sword in his mouth while Sweetie Belle as wearing a blonde wig with a crown, a pink gemstone in the centre, while also wearing a white dress with a purple corset.

Button smiled and put his sword down to reply. “Ah'm Link and Sweetie Belle is Princess Zelda!”

Applebloom's eyebrow rose. “Who?”

“C'mon AB! We're only two of the most well known video game characters ever!” Sweetie Belle stressed. Applebloom just shrugged.

“Ah wouldn't know, Ah only play Farmin' Simulator.”

“Hey guys!” Scootaloo called out into the library, her costume hanging on her back to parade her cutie mark a little more. “Check it out! Me and Rumble got our cutie marks!”

“Wow!” Sweetie Belle responded, giving Scootaloo a hug. “That's so great! We got our cutie marks too!”

“All three of you?” The orange filly asked, only to receive three nods of confirmation. “Sweet! Cutie Mark Siblings!”


"Are you okay now Rainbow?" Rainbow rubbed the back of her head, sheepishly.

"Yeah Mac...Sorry I kinda freaked out on ya like that." Mac shook his head and grinned.

"Nah, it's okay. Ah pretty much reacted tha same way when Ah first learned about tha birds an' tha bees. Couldn't look at mah Ma fer about a week without gettin' a bit scared."

"Yeah...It's just that...I don't think I want to...I just...don't think I'm ready to..." Mac just wrapped a hoof around her.

"Hey now, Ah ain't gonna make ya do nothin' ya don't wanna do." He then shrugged. "Besides, Ah wanna wait until marriage."

At the word marriage, Rainbow blushed and looked at her hooves. "Yeah...Um...That..." He rose an eyebrow at her behaviour.

"Are you alright?" Rainbow just nodded, mutely, and nuzzled herself into his larger frame.

But in her head, was a different story. "When is he going to pop the question anyway?" She thought to herself, glancing at her hoof with a form of longing in her eyes. "I mean we're pretty much married anyway and we have a kid, so what's he waiting for?"

Unknown to her, Mac was having simular thoughts. "Just one more day, then Ah can git that earring."


Soon, Rarity and Thunderlane had arrived to an already started party. “Um...We aren't late, are we?” Thunderlane asked, a bit worried. Rarity glanced at the clock on the wall to the left.

“I don't think so...” Just then, Pinkie jumped in front of them in her customary chicken costume.

“Hey guys! Glad you can make it! We decided to start the party early as a little celebration since Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, Button and Rumble got their cutie marks!”

“Rumble got his cutie mark!” Thunderlane replied, shocked.

“Yup!” She said, popping two cupcakes out of her mane and stuffed them into their mouths. “So c'mon!”

Thunderlane, in panic, spat the sugary treat out of his mouth and rubbed his tongue free of the icing. “AH!”

Pinkie saw this and pouted, her mane flattening in sadness. “You don't like it?”

Rarity grunted and swallowed the cupcake, with a lot of difficulty, and was about to explain the situation, before she was cut off.

“Hey man! Not cool!” Soarin said, looking a little mad. “If you didn't like it you could have at least been a little more polite about it!”

“But...” Thunderlane tried to explain before being cut off again.

“There ain't no but about it, ya just hurt Pinkie's feelin's.” Applejack continued, giving the upset pony a one armed hug.

“Applejack, Soarin! Please calm down!” Rarity stressed, standing in front of her coltfriend. “It's not that he doesn't like, he could love the taste. It's that he can't eat it.”

Pinkie gasped. “Did I use too many eggs?! Or not enough sugar?! I knew I should've listened to Cheese!”

“Pinkie, I assure you, the cake was...well I didn't really get to taste it, but I'm sure it was great. What I'm trying to say is that Thunderlane has Diabetes.”

She sighed as the three tilted their heads to the side. “Looks like this'll be a long night...”

Author's Note:

I know it ends kinda abruptly and it was kinda short, but the next chapter should hopefully have a little more going on.
Thanks for reading! :pinkiehappy: