• Published 14th Mar 2014
  • 3,721 Views, 126 Comments

Wonderful - Closer-To-The-Sun



Big Macintosh and Rainbow Dash have a night of drinking, which leads to a string of events involving the two ponies.

  • ...
7
 126
 3,721

Chapter 4: Real World

Chapter 4: Real World

8 ½ MONTHS UNTIL DUE DATE

Two weeks had passed since Rainbow Dash had been let out of the hospital. She was given a clean bill of health and a list of precautions that she was to follow for caring of her unborn infant. Despite all of the attention she was getting about being pregnant, Rainbow Dash seemed to be her same old usual self; brash, reckless, bold, and competitive. She seemed to not slow down for any reason.

One evening, Rainbow entered the Salt Lick. Trotting up to the bar of the tavern, she ordered a drink.

“Barkeep! One hard cider, please!” her voice was loud to get his attention.

The pony behind the counter knew better, “Nice try, Rainbow Dash, but you aren’t supposed to have any alcohol.” He pointed down to Rainbow’s belly.

Letting out a groan of frustration, she retorted, “Fine, just give me something that isn’t alcoholic but taste like apple. Like normal cider or something….”

As the bartender left to fill the order, the blue pony put her head down with her front hooves supporting it, keeping it off the bar surface. She sighed with annoyance.

A low voice spoke up, “Ya feelin’ okay, Miss Rainbow Dash?”

She could recognize that voice anywhere. She looked up to see that Big Mac had taken the seat next to her at the bar, “Oh, hey Big Mac.”

“Aren’t you supposed to avoid alcohol?” he asked concernedly, “Ya know, because of ya bein’ pregnant?”

“Geez, thanks. I never would have known that if you hadn’t told me. Thank you so much, Big Mac!” the pegasus’s sarcasm dripped from her words, “What are you, my mom?”

Big Mac was a bit flustered by Rainbow’s bitter reply, “No….ah’m just makin’ sure that yer okay, an all so that….um….”

Rainbow laughed as she watched Big Mac struggle to find the right words to say, “I’m just kidding, Big Mac, it was a joke. Seriously, ya gotta lighten up. I know what I gotta do a lot of stuff for….whatever I’m gonna call this pony. This little annoyance is already making me sick almost everyday,” She looked down at her stomach. It was apparent she was pregnant at this time; a slight bump had grown on her stomach.

As she was talking, her drink had arrived. She was quick to grab it with her hoof and take a drink. Exhaling, she spoke, “Apple juice? Come on, that’s the best you can do? There’s gotta be something better than just having just juice!” She was not happy with the selection the barkeep gave her. However, the bartender ignored her as he went to help some other customers.

“Ah think he’s tryin’ ta help ya out, Miss Rainbow Dash,” Big Mac commented.

“And that’s what’s really ticking me off! Everypony thinks they know what’s best for me. I assure you that I can think for myself and I know what I can and can’t do,” Rainbow Dash started to vent, “Take work for example! All of the pegasi think I can’t fly as fast as before or something, and they insist on giving me all the boring jobs that I can’t stand! They won’t even let me do my morning exercises with them anymore for fear it might hurt the infant or something. I’m not some rookie who can’t fly, I’m Rainbow Dash! The Rainbow Dash! The one who did the sonic rainboom!” She took another drink of her apple juice as she was done with her rant.

Big Mac wasn’t exactly sure how to reply, but nevertheless he tried his best, “Ah’m sure they are just tryin’ ta help ya out. Ya know, wantin’ ta make sure that ya don’t do somethin’ that might hurt the baby.”

Rainbow scoffed, "Ugh....this baby is just getting annoying. I really wish I didn't have it so I could just have my life back. Flying at sonic speeds, eating whatever and whenever I want, basically doing whatever I want. Now, I'm stuck to listening to Twilight Sparkle tell me all the science of birth and hearing everypony say what I can't do now."

"We're just worried 'bout yer safety, Miss Rainbow Dash," Big Mac commented

The pegasus sighed, “I’m not that stupid. I know what I can and can’t do. I kinda wonder what it would be like to just get rid of this thing now, ya know?” Rainbow Dash looked at Big Mac who had a shocked expression on his face. The mare’s face was deadpan as she continued, “Kidding, I’m kidding. It was a joke. I’m not going to do anything like that. I just wish everypony would just stop hassling me.”

Still in a bit of shock of what she said, Big Mac continued, “Well, we’re all jus’ lookin’ out fer ya because we care ‘bout ya.”

“Please, you just care because it might be yours,” Rainbow Dash laughed as she took another drink.

Big Mac’s face turned a slightly darker red, “Th-That’s not true….ah really do care-“

“Look, Big Mac, you’re a sweet colt, I’ll give ya that. But ya don’t have to worry about me. I’m a big pony, I can handle myself just fine,” Rainbow interrupted, “This isn’t some real big deal. It’s just something I gotta handle.”

“Ya don’t gotta handle it by yerself, Miss Rainbow Dash,” the stallion insisted.

Rainbow Dash couldn’t contain a laugh, “Oh sweet Celestia, do you actually like me? Haha! Oh, this is rich. You actually care for me like that. Haha, this is so freaking funny! You care about me!” Pulling out some coins, she placed them next to her empty glass of apple juice, “Haha, I’m just joking with ya, big red, don’t think too much of it.” Hoping off the barstool, Rainbow headed towards the door, still amused, “Big Mac actually liking me? Haha!”

Left alone at the bar, the red stallion watched as the pegasus exited through the door. Quietly, he mumbled, “Ah do care ‘bout ya, Miss Rainbow Dash….ah really do….”