• Published 14th Mar 2014
  • 3,878 Views, 121 Comments

Blueblood's Just Zis Guy, You Know? - NemoSpecific



What if there are perfectly good reasons for how Blueblood acted at the Gala?

  • ...
1
 121
 3,878

Chaotic Cop-out

Prince Blueblood carefully adjusted his bowtie, making sure it was juuuust right.

“Getting ready for the Gala tonight, hmm?”

“Absolutely! I love going, every year! Meeting new ponies, mingling, sharing stories, the music, the food… ooh! I can’t wait to see all my old friends.” Blueblood stamped his hooves in excitement. Only a little though, since he had to maintain a certain level of royal dignity.

“Hm, hm, yes. So… everyone will be there? Everyone you like, everyone you know, everyone you want to impress and make friends with?”

“Indeed! Why, I’ve even heard from Auntie that the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony will be making an appearance! I can’t wait to thank them for everything they’ve done for Equestria!” Blueblood squinted and carefully smoothed down a stray hair in his mane.

Reeeeally? Oh, that’ll make this even better!”

“I know! Actual, honest-to-goodness national heroes! Oh, I hope they’ll let me… hang… out… hang on. Who are you?” Blueblood finally turned from his mirror as it dawned on him that there shouldn’t be anyone else in his room. He didn’t normally make a habit of inviting ponies to watch him get ready for a party, after all. “And what are you doing in my AUGH!!

Towering over the poor prince was an impossibility. Impossible for what it was, and impossible for what it meant. A mish-mash of body parts, mammal, avian, reptile… no. No! The statue! The kingdom!

“Y-y-you! You’re Discord! How did you get free?!”

“Oh, don’t get your cravat in a curl, Princelington. I’m not getting out of my little stone away from stone for another 4 months. Fun fact though: with my Official Chaos Membership Card™, and if I keep one foot back where I’ve been set free, I can poke my nose in any time I want. It’s a little hard to balance, though…” The currently three-legged draconequus hopped towards the cowering unicorn and grinned. “Like I said, don’t worry! I’m not going to be here for long, and I’m going to do you a favor! I’m going to make you, and this Gala, remembered for the rest of history!”

Blueblood stared up at Discord in terror. He’d studied history. He knew the sorts of things that got remembered the longest. “Please… please, no. I don’t want to be a monster! I don’t want to be responsible for the Bloodiest Night Ever! Nooo!”

Discord rolled his eyes and blew a raspberry. Then he blew a bubble. Then he blew a fuse. Once the lights came back on, he reached down and twirled the Prince’s bowtie. “I’m not going to turn you into a monster! No no no no.” A brief look of hope flashed across Blueblood’s face. “I’m going to do MUCH worse than that!” Blueblood cringed as Discord’s smile stretched even wider.

“I am going… to turn you into… a jerk.”

“... wait, what?”

“A jerk! A snob! A boor! A rude, priggish, stuck-up meany-head! Ooh, they’ll be cursing your name until the cows come home!” For a split second, unworldly voices could be heard chanting Iä! Iä! Moothulhu fhtagn.

Blueblood could hardly believe his luck. The old stories had mentioned that Discord was by definition unpredictable, and so sometimes his rewards were worse than his punishments and vice versa, but… really? “I’m not going to grow fangs or claws or hurt anyone? I’m just going to be… impolite?”

Discord nodded his head so quickly it flew off and ricocheted around the room, before landing back on his neck. “Yep! And for that, you’ll be remembered as the greatest monster to ever blight the face Equestria. And don’t think you can make excuses by claiming ‘oh, no, Discord made me do it’ either! After all, I’m still a statue out there, you know. No one would believe you.”

Blueblood exhaled in relief and wiped some sweat from his brow, and Discord noticed.

“Wait, do you think I’m letting you off easy? That I’m exaggerating? I’m completely serious. I’ve had a chance to look around, and you know what I’ve seen? Sympathy, compassion, and endless understanding. Everyone is forgiven, and everyone is befriended.” Discord started counting off on his fingers. “Insane goddesses who tried to take over the kingdom. Insane love-eating bugs who tried to take over the kingdom. Insane mares who find evil artifacts and tried to take over a town. Insane con-artists who tried to take over a farm. Insane diamond dogs who tried to kidnap a pony. Insane dragons who hit puberty and tried to kidnap a pony. Insane dragons who’d want to live near you little squirts. Insane little squirts who were bullying other little squirts. Fun-loving and wacky draconequi who were just stretching their legs.”

Discord paused, counted his fingers again, and shook his paw to get rid of the extras.

“I probably shouldn’t know about a few of those… eh, whatever!” Discord shrugged and poked Blueblood in the head, causing the unicorn to go cross-eyed. “The point is, no matter what nasty thing any of us does, no matter the scale, there’s some pony out there willing to give us the benefit of the doubt. To sympathize and love us, who can see things from our point of view. To give us the chance to explain and say we’re sorry.”

A wicked grin flitted across Discord’s face and out the window. “But not you. You’ll never get that chance. You’re going to do something far, far worse than hurt anyone, or take over the kingdom, or betray your loved ones or abuse and manipulate those around you for your own amusement…

“You will be despised and shunned for the unforgivable crime… of not living up to someone else’s expectations. After all, you never get a second chance to make a first impression!”

Although it wasn’t his usual style, Discord used a light touch and… ugh… restraint. Not a full personality overhaul, just a low-power tweaking. Not even enough to wash out the colors of his mane!

Discord stuck out his tongue and squinted in concentration, making sure all the mental furniture was where he wanted it. “Maybe a little more entitled… a little less empathetic… ooh, alliterative! I like it! A dash of cowardice to round out the evening… and oh, why not? Irrational fear of cakes. Flying cakes! Ideal!”

With a quick ruffle of his mane, Discord shooed the dazed Prince out of his room. “Go get ‘em, slugger!” Discord wiped a tear from his eye. “Ah, the grow up so fast...”

Discord looked around the small room, whistled a few bars of some pretty old song and checked his watch. “Well, I suppose I should get back to the maze, see how Sparkle and her friends are doing. Can’t expect a leg to do the work of an entire draconequus, after all!”

A snap of his claws, a flash of light, a whiff of cinnamon, and the spirit of chaos was gone.

Author's Note:

Short, and thin as broth. Not the chapter I was hoping for, but I was having trouble getting back into the flow of writing and needed to do SOMETHING to bust the block. Hopefully I can get back to slapstick and hallucinations now.