• Published 13th Mar 2014
  • 2,098 Views, 25 Comments

A Rainbow in the Dark - Sparky Brony



Rainbow Dash is the pony that everything bad happens to. And this is no exception. Shifted into a world she doesn't know, and has no idea of what's going on, all she wants is one thing, to get home

  • ...
1
 25
 2,098

Epilogue

"Twilight, did you ever find out what was with that storm?" Rainbow Dash was lounging on a cloud she had pulled into the library. She never understood why Twilight didn't like her doing that, she made sure the clouds behaved themselves and never rained on her precious books. Well, except for that one time.

Twilight looked up from her writing. "I told you after you were hit, I pulled the energy of the storm into myself and dispelled it. Well, by doing that, I destroyed any way to tell the origin of the storm. I was able to track it to the west side of the Everfree forest. But I have no idea why it was magically charged the way it was. It almost felt like chaos magic, but it wasn't Discord." Twilight put down her quill and looked at her friend, "I don't think we will ever know what caused that storm, it's not the first time we've had a magically quickened storm crash into us from the Everfree."

"I think I know why, Twilight."

Rainbow heard Twilight grumble under her breath, it sounded like her saying, "This ought to be rich." but her friend looked at her expectantly.

"While I was on that Earth, I noticed they had city names similar to ours, Baltimore to our Baltimare, the city of New York was on Manhattan Island, compared to our Manehattan."

Twilight looked utterly shocked, Rainbow continued. “We know there are literally an infinite number of different worlds in different universes. What if the barrier between those realms gets thin or frayed from time to time, and energy from one universe bleeds off into another, as long as the two universes are similar?"

Twilight spent a moment picking her jaw up off the floor. She lit her horn and magicked her glasses off of her muzzle. "I never expected to hear magical theory from you Rainbow Dash."

Rainbow Dash grinned at her friend, she jumped off the cloud, dispelling it at the same time and landed next to her friend. She grabbed Twilight's reading glasses off the desk and put them on. "Maybe I should apply to be a student at Celestia's school for gifted unicorns…hey!" she shouted as the glasses were whisked off her face and placed quite firmly back on the desk.

"You wouldn't last a day."

"Oh yeah, try me. I could do it. I was able to perform magic over there."

"Channeling magic to send a letter is simple."

"Not for pegasi!"

Rainbow Dash noticed that they were muzzle to muzzle, growling at each other. She smiled, then had to laugh. She laughed so hard she ended up on her back kicking her legs feebly.

"Oh, Twilight, I can't tell you how much I missed arguing with you!"

She found herself being picked up with Twilight's magic, and brought to the purple mare's arms. She hugged her friend back. She heard Twilight sniffle into her mane, "I did too."

Twilight pushed her friend away and galloped over to a drawer. "I almost forgot, I was supposed to give these to you when you got back. I kept them here for safe keeping." Three envelopes whisked from the drawer into Rainbow Dash's hooves, she recognized Merle's handwriting. Her face fell.

"I miss him, Twilight. He was a good friend."

"I know he was, and you should read his final words to you."

With a practiced flip, she opened an envelope and drew out the piece of paper.

Dearest Rainbow Dash,
Not too long after you sent these to your friends, I would eventually have had to tell you my horrible secret, that I was dying. Pancreatic cancer is never an easy diagnosis, according to my doctor. And I would have drank myself to death if it weren't for you. But for this letter, I can tell you what I could never tell you in person.

I have never had a friend like you, Rainbow Dash. I had buddies, I had comrades in arms, but never a close, true friend. You told me about those elements of harmony that you guys used to defeat your foes. And you told me you bore the element of loyalty. In the time I have known you, I have never known anyone who was so perfect to carry such an honor.

I know you miss me, and every day without me will cause you pain. My only consolation is that time heals all wounds, the pain will lessen. Wherever I am when you get this, just know that my heart is in as much pain as yours for missing you. Cherish your friends Rainbow Dash, every one of them you told me about, Pinkie Pie, the crazy party pony, Fluttershy the kind hearted lover of everything, Rarity, the lover of all things beautiful, Applejack, the honest, hard worker, and Twilight Sparkle, the bookworm princess. They have always been, and will always be, the source of your strength. Never forget that. Though I know you won't. I know you will never forget me as well. And I consider myself lucky to be included in your list of friends.

You are an exceptional pony, Rainbow Dash, and I will always love you.

Your friend,
Merle Baker

Rainbow Dash put down the letter and sat there, not looking at anything. Her mind was reeling from what Merle had written to her. She looked over at Twilight, who had just finished reading another copy of the letter. Twilight looked back at her.

"You met a very special person, Rainbow Dash."

"I know." She was able to hold back tears. The ache was there, but she could live with it. She placed the letter back in its envelope and hoofed it over to Twilight. "Please keep these for me, Twilight. I don't want them to ever get lost."

Twilight silently complied.

Rainbow Dash sat and watched her friend get back to her writing, but was interrupted by the door to the library slamming open. All of their friends poured into the library along with all of their pets. Rainbow Dash perked up, seeing Tank hovering above their friends, he quickly zipped over to her.

"Are you ready to go play with our pets girls?" Applejack said.

With a loud hoot, Owlowiscious flew down from his perch in Twilight's room and joined the rest of the pets. Twilight moved to join them, she looked back. "Are you coming Rainbow?"

Rainbow Dash nuzzled her tortoise. Since she had gotten back, he was nearly a constant companion, although today was the exception. Fluttershy had been getting him all cleaned up for playing at the park today. She was happy to see Tank again. "You bet!"

And Rainbow Dash went and did what it turns out is her favorite thing in the world, spend time with her friends.

Comments ( 10 )

4682745 I'll let you in on a little secret, you aren't the only one crying for that scene. I cried as I wrote it. I really liked Merle.

4683197 Glad you liked it. That specific scene was a bit part of the reason I started writing this story. I wanted RD to be the one to give Faust the inspiration to do the show.

4691591 That scene was planned out before I wrote a single word of the story. Well, it and the alternate plan where Rainbow died. But I decided to go with the more uplifiting version, but it was a close one.

just wow you really hit this version right on it is perfect:rainbowdetermined2:
I just wish there was more??
harts fire

5449508 I've long since subscribed to the theory that RD hits hypersonic speeds when she does a sonic rainboom. So just under hypersonic would be possible for her. But then again, that is my opinion. But remember, you don't have a Mach cone around you if you aren't already over the speed of sound.

I've had an idea of doing a Pony-on-Earth story set in the 1980's, but you seem to have beat me to it, even if it was set in 78.
This was quite a unique story to read, and enjoyed it very much. Would love to read a sequel, maybe set in modern times? Who knows.

Great story! Keep up the good work! =3:twilightsmile:

Hek

If you have something specific in mind for cover art, I’m an ok artist (pfp example art) I’d be happy to draw something, or if I come up with something when I get a chance to read this through

8973070
If you have some inspiration, I'd be happy to see it!

8/10 very good story you wrote here. I'm in agreement that I someday hope there's a sequel featuring a more proper first contact scenario featuring a more permanent gateway.

Discovering A Rainbow in the Dark is like finding a glimmer of hope in unexpected places. Just like how a reliable commercial cleaning service brings clarity to the chaos, this poetic metaphor reminds us that even in the midst of challenges, there's always a chance for brightness and cleanliness to prevail.

Login or register to comment