• Published 15th Dec 2014
  • 2,096 Views, 27 Comments

Mending the Sun - Twilight Best Pony



It’s been three months, dear sister, three months since you left. Where could you be? I know you’re out there, I can feel it.

  • ...
0
 27
 2,096

Chapter 2

The sun had dropped drastically while Twilight was awake. Golden rays illuminated her hospital room. Half the room was bathed in oranges, reds, and yellows of the day’s dying light, while shadows grew on the other side. A book lay perched upon several pillows on her chest.

The pillows buffered the hardcover and weight of the old tome over Twilight’s injury. While not many things could be accomplished while penned up in the white, sterile room, she did the one thing she was allowed to do: read.

Oblivious to the word, she turned old yellowing pages carelessly as her eyes danced across the ancient ink that each page held. Her injuries were irrelevant; Celestia’s actions didn’t matter. The only thing she cared about was the story held within the weakened bindings of the book in front of her.

Through twists and turns, highs and lows she followed the words from page to page as time ticked away. Her closest friends had left long ago. The slightest thought of them was almost enough to break her out of her reading trance. Their company had made the day easier for Twilight and managed to keep her mind busy.

Now alone in her room, she desperately attempted to keep herself busy with a book as to not think about Celestia. Pinkie’s earlier question had shattered any temporary blocks Twilight had put over the horrific and scarring ordeal.

A sigh left her as she placed a bookmark on a page and gently closed the book. The large tome sat on her lap as she leaned back, closing her eyes and stretching. Any thoughts she had escaped her as she stared up at the white ceiling.

She’d be up well past sunset, silent, alone, and hurt. Into the late hours of the night she’d toss and turn on the hard surface of the hospital bed, desperately seeking some form of comfort.

She’d lay awake and wish it were all a terrible dream and not the grand mistake and misunderstanding it became. Her thoughts would eventually move on to regret and how she’d continuously think of Celestia.

Twilight knew in her heart that the missing monarch was out there. Speculations and ideas of where she was could keep them speculating for months, if not years. Equestria was a big place, and not always the most friendly in some parts.

Even though the damage done by the ruling alicorn could’ve permanently scarred her for the rest of her life or even killed her, Twilight worried about Celestia. An internal argument that had plagued her for days on end left her confused on how to feel about Celestia. There were so many uncertainties that ran through her head daily that she was almost rendered comatose each time.

Twilight took a deep, relaxing breath and pushed away her thoughts for a few minutes. Then, using her incredibly weak magic, she managed to move the book to a nearby nightstand. Even months after the initial damage, she remained weak and feeble as she desperately tried to regain her strength.

Ever so carefully she sat up. No tubes or wires restricted her to the bed; only her weak body. She eyed the door intently, outlined in the soft orange glow of a nearby candle. Freedom was just beyond the door.

A determined look settled across her thin features as she gathered all of her strength to stand up. Shuffling off of the bed’s side came with ease, and so did planting her hooves on the hard linoleum floor. Putting all of her remaining weight down on the other hoof nearly caused her to topple over in a heap.

Her breathing was deep and steady as she stabilized herself by holding on to the bed. A few shaky wobbles passed through her before she stood up straight. Slightly labored chuckles left her as she freely stood.

Like a foal, she set out at a slow and steady pace. One hoof in front of the other as she slowly made her way to the door. A large grin formed on her lips as joy filled her chest. She was actually walking, so close to seeing the outside world again.

She arrived at the door with a slight huff. Her breathing stopped as she silently gathered strength at the door. No sound came from the hallway outside as she used what little magic she had left to open the door.

Noiselessly, the large white door swung open. The hallway was dimly lit, not a soul in sight. Twilight’s smile returned in full force as she set out on her gentle pace down the hall. She didn’t really have a destination in mind, simply following her hooves wherever they took her.

Soon one hallway turned into a second, corner after corner, junction, and split. She crept her way through the familiar hallways. Without really giving it a thought as to where she went, she found herself entering the throne room.

Though there were candles and torches lit along the walls, the room remained relatively dark. It surprised her to see no guards present. A sigh left her as she slowly began walking down the long, red carpet of the throne room.

Pillars, painted glass windows, priceless busts, and artwork passed her as she eventually arrived at the thrones. Upon a large pedestal, there sat three thrones. One gold, one a dark blue, and the other a rose color. Three thrones for three Princesses.

Twilight’s expression fell slightly at the sight of the large, golden throne. The one place she’d always find Celestia sitting at. She turned away, looking to head back when one glass mural caught her attention.

A dark violet and blue tree was pieced together by glass. Two pieces of glass on the trunk held both cutie marks of the Princesses. The center of the tree held a six pointed star. Each point directed a branch. Each branch held a different gem, all in different colors, pink, blue, red, purple, and yellow.

The Tree of Harmony…

The picture instantly registered in her head. The tree the elements came from. Silently she stared up at the massive mural, slightly awestruck as a small inkling formed in her scattered thoughts. Though it didn’t give her more than a slight feeling about the landmark, it stayed with her.

Something about the tree.

The sound of hoofsteps caused Twilight to turn and gasp. From one of the many shadows strewn about the room, Luna emerged. Her emotionless face delicately lit up at the sight of the purple princess.

“Twilight?” Luna asked. “What are you doing out here?”

Twilight blushed lightly and stammered, “I-I just came out to get some fresh air.”

Luna sighed as she brushed against the smaller princess, who began leaning on her for support. “You know you are not permitted out of your bed,” Luna said with a caring nuzzle.

“I-I know,” Twilight replied quietly.

Luna smiled and chuckled, nuzzling Twilight again before ushering her back towards the doorway she entered through. “No harm done, my little star,” she said. “Now come, lets get you back to bed to rest.”

As they slowly trekked back to the hospital room, Twilight looked back over her shoulder at the large glass mural. There was something about that tree she just couldn’t place…