• Published 11th Mar 2014
  • 2,973 Views, 75 Comments

Of Cupcakes and Captures - SomeRandomMinion



Chrysalis decides to punish a cowardly drone by sending him straight into the tender mercies of Ponyville...shrunken to toy-size.

  • ...
2
 75
 2,973

Triple Threat

The two giant mares exchanged bewildered looks, then looked down at Cricket in unison. Neither unicorn said anything for what felt like an horrifically long time to the shrunken Changeling (but was actually all of five seconds. Absolute fear for one’s life tends to futz around with one’s sense of time), but eventually his lavender captress spoke up.

“Well, we aren’t going to eat you--” she winced at that, scrunching up her face; “--but don’t think that means you’re getting off easy, fella.” Twilight leaned in, her face filling Cricket’s view as she glared down at him.

Cricket tried to hide his high-pitched yelp, and he managed to not crouch down completely prostrate: he still had some dignity left to salvage, after all...not that that was much against the lavender goddess of vengeance looming over him.

“I still remember what you guys did at Canterlot, and Equestria has learned a few of your tricks since then,” Twilight added. “So don’t think you can pull a fast one on us again, or that we’ll give you special treatment because you’re...inexplicably tiny. Got it?” She finished the last two words with a scowl, leaning in even closer. Cricket yelped again--this time he didn’t manage to keep it quiet, and made a sound like a stepped-on mouse--and all but fell on his rump as he tried to put as much distance between himself and the looming unicorn. His eyes kept darting to her horn...those bolts she’d fired at him and his comrades during the battle had hurt so much, and sent them flying everywhere! Cricket had even gotten propelled through a window and into a diner, and gotten covered in ketchup and hot sauce when he’d hit the condiment island!

Rarity cleared her throat in a loud, yet very polite and ladylike way. “Um, Twilight...?”

“Y-y-yes ma’am…” Cricket squeaked, Twilight’s face floated above him. Oh Maker above, help me! They say they won’t eat me--well, ponies are herbivores so they wouldn’t WANT to in the first place...not the point, in mortal danger here! ...But they could just feed me to the yellow one’s pet birds, or Death-Sparkle might experiment on me with magic, or Diamond-Rump use me as a pincushion, or make an earring out of me, or even give me to the Princesses!! His mind kept running a mile a minute, crafting more and more terrible fates for him at the hooves of the ponies…

Rarity faked a sneeze--complete with producing a fine silk hoofkerchief, or course! And rose her tone. “Twilight, dear…?”

Finally, Cricket’s vision cleared as Twilight pulled her head back and sat up straight. “Good. Now then, we’ll have to interroga--”

“Twilight!” Rarity broke in, her not-quite-shout forcing Cricket’s near prone form forward. The other unicorn’s glare dropped from her face as she jumped back, looking up at her fellow giant.

“Rarity, what is it? Was the Changeling trying something?” She glared down at her tiny captive once again.

Cricket risked a look behind him, and found his snow-white captress shooting an annoyed look at Twilight. “No, he wasn’t ‘trying something’; I think he’s too terrified to try and escape...and he may be stuck in the icing, anyway. What I was trying to tell you was that you were putting your nose in the icing.” Her eyebrows formed a flat line at the end, her voice matching the expression.

“Wha…?” Cricket watched as the mare who had only seconds before been threatening him went cross-eyed, looking at her nose. He followed her gaze...and they both gasped, at the smear of creamy white icing on the tip of Twilight’s nose, with a thin trail spread over her nostrils.

Some part of Cricket’s brain that wasn’t drowning in mortal fear realized she must have smeared it when she kept leaning in closer to him. Alas, he was too terrified to find it funny.

Twilight managed to salvage things. “Um, whoops; heh-heh…” She zapped the embarrassing confection off her face with a quick spell and gave a sheepish grin. “Um, sorry about that. Is there anything else? I kind of went overboard there with intimidating the Changeling.”

Rarity sighed, her deadpan expression returning to normal. “Well for one thing, there’s the matter of getting our...’unexpected guest’ in a secure place so he doesn’t cause trouble. Or get crushed by a careless pony.”

Cricket whimpered at that, hoping the two giants didn’t notice him.

Rarity lifted her hoof higher, examining the cupcake with a distasteful grimace. “For another...I need a new cupcake. Seeing as how he sat in it, and whatnot…”

And then, a new mare’s voice chimed in from behind Rarity. “Wait, what? You’re supposed to eat cupcakes, not sit on ‘em!” Both unicorns flinched at the new arrival, Cricket’s cupcake perch almost going flying off Rarity’s hoof and taking him with it. Cricket, meanwhile, just crouched lower into the icing, new fear seizing him. He knew that voice...

“That’s what chairs are for, duh! Cupcakes are too small to be comfy, anyway!” With that astute observation, a third giant mare--a pink earth pony--bounced into view, a huge grin spread across her face. She looked between her fellow titanesses as she continued rambling, her poofed-up, fluffy mane bouncing all the while from the motion. “I mean, who would do something that weird? Don’t worry girls, I’ll just get another one for free; it’s just one cupcake after all, no big loss and oh my gosh it’s an itty-bitty Changeling!” With a loud gasp, the pink behemoth sprang over, and Cricket’s vision was once again dominated by the face of a giant who’d given him a thrashing:

Not the Pink One...ANYPONY BUT THE PINK ONE!! He still heard that pink cannon in his nightmares, saw that storm of confetti and balloons coming right at his face...

Grinning like a loon, the pink terror launched into another storm of words. “Wow, he’s kinda cute like that! ..When he’s not invading cities or trying to beat us up with a kajillion of his friends, I mean, but I guess nopony can look cute when they’re doing evil, villain-y stuff. How’d he got sooo teeny-tiny anyway? Did one of you girls shrink him? If you did, why didn’t you use that at the Wedding we could have just made that evil Queenie Meanie all tiny and squished her, but that’s sort of mean too--”

Cricket lost track of her triade as fear engulfed him again. Shrunken to the size of a toy, captured in enemy lands, and utterly at the mercy of three giants he’d personally tried to hurt at normal size (out of six!), the Changeling did the natural thing anycreature would do in such an incredibly strange, fearful situation.

He screamed like a little filly.

Then he fainted.

Author's Note:

By the way, the "anycreature" thing that's been popping up? NOT a typo. It's just a catch-all term for talking about multiple species, a la "Anypony", "anyling", etc.