• Published 9th Mar 2014
  • 5,239 Views, 155 Comments

The Princess and the Pirate - Sirjadan13



When Twilight Sparkle winds up in the 18th century West Indies, can she find a way home, and keep her feelings under wraps, while under the Black Flag?

  • ...
26
 155
 5,239

Chapter 4: Swordfights and Concerns

Chapter 4: Swordfights and Concerns (written by yours truly)

With the final calculations written, Edward made his way to the wheel and gave the orders to set sail. “Let’s head home lads,” he said to the crew. With that, the Jackdaw headed south to the Caribbean, with every intention of making some much needed repairs to the ship.

-------------------------------------------------

Two weeks had passed since Twilight was rescued for the middle of nowhere, and there was no sign of land yet. Everyone on board the Jackdaw was getting restless, waiting for something to happen. The captain noticed this near uprising of Cabin Fever, and knew what he had to do. After having one of his crew members take the Helm, Edward ventured into his cabin to find his guest sharing one of her stories to Jenny.

“...Just as it seemed all hope was lost, my loyal assistant Spike returned the Crystal Heart to its rightful place. At the same time the Heart filled with all the praise and joy from the Crystal Empire Ponies, the evil Lord Sombra’s power was eradicated from the face of Equestria. And so, with the rightful ruler of the Crystal Empire back on the throne, the kingdom ventured into a new era of peace, all thanks to the bravery of my friends and me.”

“That was amazing,” Jenny exclaimed. She then noticed her father standing in the doorway. “Father! Did you hear Twilight’s story?”

With a chuckle Edward replied, “Only bits and pieces my darling. If both of you would join me on the deck, there’s something I want to show you.”

A bit confused by the former Assassin’s request, the two girls followed Edward outside. But unbeknownst to them, the captain brought out two pairs of his finest swords. His unique swords that were buried off the south beach of Great Inagua, and the Golden swords that he accidentally found off the coast of Florida. While on the deck, the crew took notice of both of the girls exiting the cabin with the Captain in tow with the swords.

After clearing his throat to gain Jenny’s and Twilight’s attention, he placed the blades on a nearby crate and said, “Now, where we’re going is no paradise. The West Indies is filled with sick men that despise pira-privateers like myself,” he corrected. “That is why I will teach you how to defend yourself, should you find yourself in trouble with Spaniards or British.”

He then grabbed one of each Golden Blade and handed them to the girls as he continued, “Sword fighting is essential to combat on the sea. Now I’m going to teach you the basics of dueling, so that you’ll be prepared for the worst in the Caribbean.” With that, he raised his sword in a riposting pose and gestured for Twilight to do the same.

"Are you sure about this," Twilight asked him.

"Of course Twilight, you're going to need to know how in order to defend yourself," Edward replied. He took a swing of his sword and Twilight managed to dodge it. Edward swung his sword again and this time Twilight blocked it with her own sword. "That's very good," Edward said to Twilight. "You catch on fast." Each time he swung his sword, Twilight barely managed to block them all.

"I read a few books on sword fighting back in Equestria," Twilight said as she pushed Edward and his sword away. “It’s way easier to use a sword with hands than your mouth.”

He just chuckled after her comment, then continued with the match. After a while Twilight started to get the hang of using a sword. In fact, she started to observe how Edward was fighting. He seemed to be slacking on purpose, for what reason she knew not.
Suddenly, Twilight managed to land a lucky shot that disarmed Edward of his sword. Seeing her chance, Twilight began to swing her sword towards Edward...

...Only to have her attack blocked by a hidden blade attached to the Assassin’s wrist, causing her to lose her momentum. Before she knew what happened, the former pony tumbled head over feet into some nearby barrels. Dazed and confused, she felt Edward pick her up from the mess. “Are you alright Twi,” he said with a hint of worry in his voice.

“Yes, I’m fine,” Twilight replied, as she woosley stood up. “What just happened?”

With a chuckle the Pirate Assassin said, “The first rule on the sea lass. Expect the unexpected.”

Suddenly one of the crew members shouted, “Land hoe!”

Hearing this, Edward made his way to the front of the ship and looked through his spyglass. Sure enough, they made it home to Great Inagua. Seeing that they were almost home, the captain made his way back to Twilight and Jenny.

“We will continue our lessons another time,” he said. “We’re almost there.”

With that, the girls gathered their things and re-entered the cabin. Edward retook the wheel, and said "Alright Jack, sing."

Now we are ready to sail for the Horn,
Weigh hey, roll and go!
Our boots and our clothes, boys, are all in the pawn,
To be rollicking randy dandy-O!

Heave a pawl, 0 heave away!
Weigh hey, no! and go!
The anchor's on board and the cable's all stored,
To be rollicking randy dandy-O!

Soon well be warping her out through the locks,
Weigh hey, roll and go!
Where the pretty young girls all come down in their frocks,
To be rollicking randy dandy-O!

Heave a pawl, 0 heave away!
Weigh hey, no! and go!
The anchor's on board and the cable's all stored,
To be rollicking randy dandy-O!

Come breast the bars, bullies, heave her away,
Weigh hey, roll and go! .
Soon well be rolling her down through the Bay,
To be rollickinq randy dandy-O!

Heave a pawl, 0 heave away!
Weigh hey, no! and go!
The anchor's on board and the cable's all stored,
To be rollicking randy dandy-O!

------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile in the Captain’s Cabin, Twilight thought on how her friends were doing. “I hope they aren’t too worried about me disappearing...Oh who am I kidding, Pinkie or Spike probably noticed and started a search party for me. I just hope they’re alright.” With a shrug of her slightly aching shoulders, she decided to rest her eyes a bit. It would be awhile until they docked, so Twilight decided to get some shuteye.

As she drifted off into the Dreamworld, one last thought crossed her mind, “I wonder if Princess Luna can find me here?”

To be continued...

Author's Note:

Sorry for the wait you guys. Many things came up for me this past week, but I managed to get this out to you all.

Again thank you all for your support, and I will see you next time.