• Published 9th Mar 2014
  • 2,690 Views, 65 Comments

Ends of the Spectrum - SpinelStride



Starswirl's unfinished spell didn't swap marks. It merged destinies with other worlds where things happened differently. In a world where it all went wrong, only ponies from the world where everything went right can help.

  • ...
7
 65
 2,690

Chapter 6: Everscream

Twelve and a half ponies (counting Discord) met that evening in front of the cloud-topped tree that still had the ‘Golden Oaks Library’ sign out front. Five wore golden necklaces; one a golden tiara. The gems in the jewelry were dull and listless compared to the ones that the six visitors were used to seeing, but unmistakeably the same gems. Despite the threat of the vines surging from the Everfree, the mood was upbeat.

“We’re gonna zap a monster! We’re gonna zap a monster!” singsonged Rares, bouncing in a circle about the others.

AJ was tuning her fiddle. She didn’t expect they were going to need another round of mocking the monsters, but it couldn’t hurt to be prepared. Besides, if they won, she was going to need some music to celebrate. Twilight lent an ear, helping. Seeing that always-surly purple unicorn smiling made AJ wonder if maybe she should stay a while in Ponyville after all.

Dash and Pinkie were helping each other prepare. Dash’s mane never allowed her to do a single thing with it other than keeping the split ends down; it always flew apart within minutes of styling. The best she could do was make sure that it was artfully wild, trimmed properly to give a spontaneous, exuberant look. She envied Pinkie’s mane, so straight and mannerly, easily curled into simply dashing shapes. The two of them were simply delighted to have somepony with such a simpatico sense of style.

Captain Lyra Heartstrings was busy evacuating the townsponies and leading the Royal Guard’s mustering; if the Elements didn’t do the trick this time, the Guards would see what spears and spells could do against those thorny vines.

Rainbow, Captain Sparkle, Discord and Rarity went over all the information they had, on the Everfree, the vines, and Scootaloo. It wasn’t much. Discord admitted that he’d created the vines, long ago, but they weren’t his any longer; he could affect them with his powers, summoning giant lawnmowers and the like to slice them to bits, but he couldn’t snap his claws and make them vanish. “Something much older and more malevolent than chaos,” was how he described the force behind the vines.

Both Fluttershys kept watch overhead, making sure the vines didn’t come surging into Ponyville any faster than they were already doing.

Pinkamena and Applejack stayed close by each other, flank to flank, butterflies against butterflies. They both knew that this was going to be the ‘hard’ sort of kindness. At best.

And then they headed in.

***

The thick black vines were covered in sharp, oily spikes. Pulling on them or trying to shove them was a useless task. Only cutting worked; none of the ponies were particularly interested in trying to bite, but Rainbow, Rarity, Captain Sparkle, and Discord were able to summon various sharp-edged spells to carve a path and keep the vines from slithering in on the sides. It was slow, careful going, but they knew the path. It was the same path in both worlds that they’d followed to battle Nightmare Moon.

Flying was out of the question. The weather over the Everfree was never reliable to begin with, and the thunderclouds floating around now looked simply wrong, with jagged bolts sticking out and seemingly waiting to attack. At least burrowing through the vines they weren’t being blasted from all sides.

“So… you came down this way too?” asked Rarity, her horn lighting again to slice apart a gnarled vine in front of them. “How did it go for you?”

“Pretty smooth,” said Rainbow, her wings almost constantly twitching as she sent blades of air skimming along the edges of the path to keep the vines from pushing in on the sides. “Manny the manticore showed up in a bad mood, but Applejack had him pinned before he could do more than roar. Steven Magnet was upset about his moustache, but Twilight had her moustache-growth spell ready to go. Spike loves that thing - something about dragons and moustaches, I guess. A landslide, but I stopped it from going anywhere. There was a broken bridge, but Rarity shot herself across the gap and fixed it before anypony could point out that flying’s a lot easier. Oh, and one bit with some trees that were supposed to be spooky, but Fluttershy just pointed out they were just dumb trees and we all moved on. We got to the castle, Nightmare Moon showed up, Pinkie distracted her by creating a coronation gown on the spot, I grabbed the Elements, we got everything fixed. Then the parades. How was it for you?”

“Not quite so easy,” Rarity admitted. “When the manticore attacked, Fluttershy went into a frenzy to protect us, and mauled him. She got a bit slashed up in the process, but I got her bandaged up so we could keep going. The trees had us frozen until Twilight started bucking them all to bits - she admitted when she was done that she was drunk and hadn’t noticed them until we started screaming. All of us took some hurts in the landslide, but Pinkie was able to get us all bandaged and splinted, even though she’d broken a hoof herself. The dragon - Steven, I assume, though we never got his name - was in a frenzy, but Rainbow Dash talked him into cutting the other side of his moustache short to match, then gave him some feathers she pulled from her own wings to serve as accents. She couldn’t fly with her wings left ragged like that, though. AJ used her lasso to cross the broken bridge and pulled it up behind her. And… well, Nightmare Moon captured us all. We were trapped in her cells for over a week while it got colder and colder, until I finally realized the secret of the Elements. Princess Celestia helped us out of the forest and we spent a few weeks in the hospital, recovering.”

Rainbow shook her head. “Well, nopony’s going to get hurt this time if I can help it.”

“That would make a nice change of pace,” Rarity sighed. “I think we’re making progress.”

“Why do you say that?” asked Captain Sparkle.

“It’s getting harder to push through,” Rarity said. “That should mean we’re getting closer to the heart of it all, don’t you think?”

“Makes sense to me,” agreed Rainbow, her wings now moving well more than a twitch as she fought off the vines. “Just keep going and we’ll get there.”

Rares and AJ both jerked sharpy all over, and cried out together, “Look out!”

Something erupted from the ground underhoof. A hissing noise sounded from all around, a tan fog filled the air, and everypony lost sight of the others.

***

Rainbow found herself caught in the vines. The sharp thorns dug into her barrel, her legs, her throat, her wings. She struggled to pull free, ignoring the pains of the thorns stabbing at her, but they were too strong. Her wings were pulled out tight, not giving her even enough room to flex her feathers to cast a spell.

Then the vines shifted. Rainbow’s eyes turned into circles of pain as her wings snapped at the midpoint, the joint tearing. Blood fell from her torn-off wings as the vines pulled them overhead.

She would never cast magic again. She began to scream, and a sharp-tipped vine plunged into her chest.

***

Dash found herself caught in the vines. The sharp thorns dug into her barrel, her legs, her throat, her wings. She struggled to pull free, ignoring the pains of the thorns stabbing at her, but they were too strong. Her wings were pulled out tight, not giving her even enough room to flex her feathers.

Then the vines shifted. Rainbow’s eyes turned into circles of pain as her wings snapped at the midpoint, the joint tearing. Blood fell from her torn-off wings as the vines pulled them overhead.

She was forever scarred; she would never cast magic again, never fly, never make cloudsilk again just when her life was promising to turn around. She screamed, twisted her head, pulled the scissors from her bag, and began slashing the vines to ribbons.

***

Captain Sparkle strained against the vines. They were curled all around her, almost mummifying her. Her horn was encased in their sharp, stabbing strength; trying to muster any mana at all sent eye-crossing agony through her head and broke her concentration. Her uniform was in shreds around her.

Then the vines shifted. Captain Sparkle’s eyes couldn’t keep back tears of pain as she heard and felt the crack. She tried to cast a spell, to blast her way free, to call down the lightning, but the magic leaked out the side of her horn. Then it ripped all the way free.

She would never cast magic again, never step into the sky, never hear the crowds chanting her name, never be a Wonderbolt again. She began to scream, and a sharp-tipped vine plunged into her chest.

***

Twilight Sparkle strained against the vines. They were curled all around her, almost mummifying her. Her horn was encased in their sharp, stabbing strength; trying to muster any mana at all sent eye-crossing agony through her head, the same agony she’d felt all her life. Her hat was little more than a few bits of leather.

Then the vines shifted. Twilight’s eyes couldn’t keep back tears of pain as she heard and felt the crack. She tried to blast her way free, to use all that wild energy she’d always had as destructively as she possibly could, but the magic leaked out the side of her horn. Then it ripped all the way free.

She would never cast magic again, never feel herself one with Sweet Apple Acres again, never dance with the lightning again, just when she had a chance for the first time. She screamed, and bucked with all her might, yanking her hooves free. She gripped the vines at their base and screamed out an old Apple family piece of wisdom. “DON’T START NOTHIN’ YOUR HOOVES CAN’T END!” Magic pouring from her forehead, she ripped the vines out of the ground with her bare hooves.

***

Fluttershy’s hat was on the ground, a vine pulled across her face, silencing her. She tried to bite, but it wouldn’t give. Her wings were pinned behind her; she was effectively hogtied by the thorny mass. She strained, but the stuff just wouldn’t let up at all.

Her eyes went wide as a flash of light went off in front of her. Big Mac jumped through a hole in space, and he gasped up at her. “Flutters!” he called out. “Princess Luna sent me! Said y’all was in some kinda troub…. AHHHH!”

A vine slashed up underneath him and cut his belly open. Vines lashed around his hooves and pulled him onto his back, the red stallion screaming as vines tore at his exposed insides.

He was going to die. Her stallion was going to die, trying to save her. She couldn’t do a thing about it. Fluttershy’s eyes poured her tears, and a sharp-tipped vine plunged into her chest.

***
Fluttershy’s mane was yanked sharply behind her, a vine pulled across her face, silencing her. She tried to bite, but it wouldn’t give. Her wings were pinned behind her; she was effectively hogtied by the thorny mass. She strained, but the stuff just wouldn’t let up at all.

She bit harder, chopping through the vine. “Buck this, I’m awesome! Rarity, I’m coming!” she snarled, ripped the stupid things out of the ground by sheer brute force, and began stomping the vines into tiny piles of shredded salad.

Buck anything else anypony wanted her to think. She knew she was awesome. And she had a mare to save.

***

Rares grunted on the vine in her mouth. It tasted exactly nothing at all like a cupcake, a cake, a brownie, a doughnut, chocolate, or even mint. It didn’t even taste as good as a healthy salad. It tasted awful! Oh, and the other vines were holding her on her back on the ground with her legs pulled to the sides, too.

She heard a buzzing and looked up. Colorful little blobs of fur were swarming overhead. Parasprites, she thought. It had to be parasprites. But there’s nothing here for them to eat…

Then she noticed that these parasprites had sharp little noses poking out and evil red eyes. They descended on her. And her without so much as a harmonica! They bit into her, burrowed into her, and she screamed.

She was never going to laugh again. Her friends would be crying if they survived - which they wouldn’t. Everypony in Equestria was going to die and never smile ever again. And a sharp-tipped vine plunged into her chest.

***

Rarity grunted on the vine in her mouth. It tasted exactly nothing at all like Princess Celestia’s favorite tea. The vines wrapped around her horn and legs, holding her pinned to the ground. They pulled, and she had to arch her neck to relieve the strain on her horn.

The vines kept pulling. And pulling. Her eyes went wide in pain as she felt the crack - and screamed as her horn snapped halfway up its length. The agony was immeasurable - but she felt the magic blasting out of her. And she’d been waiting to feel that again her entire life.

With her horn broken open, she hadn’t the slightest bit of control, but Rarity was far beyond caring about that, or anything else. She had her friends together again, and she wasn’t going to lose them now. The vines burned.

***

Pinkie sobbed, struggling against the vines. They’d surrounded her, encased her in their thorns. Every movement shredded through her fur, sliced open her beautiful, flawless coat. Her mane was being ripped from her head, her tail tangled and yanked out. Thorns were stabbing into her hooves, burrowing into her, crippling her forever.

Thorns drove into her eyes as she screamed, her body spasming as sight fled her forever. She would never see the rainboom or a sunrise again, never admire another piece of art...

The scars would never heal, even if she somehow escaped. She’d never be able to so much as hold a pair of scissors, never create another dress in her life. She’d never have anything to give; she’d be a dry, empty husk. And a sharp-tipped vine plunged into her chest.

***

Pinkamena tried to scream around the vine that was stabbing up through the bottom of her jaw. More vines had burrowed through her legs, right through the ankles, lifting her into the air, crucified. A forest of vines surrounded her, each with its own grisly payload. All the life that should have been wandering the Everfree was there, wracked in pain, showing her what fate awaited her.

Her blood spilled down the vines, nourishing them with her life. The crippled manticore hung limp; the hydra had only a single head left alive. And… there, that was Silver Spoon. The filly came after her and was caught, screaming in silence with her tongueless mouth as the vines sucked away her little life.

Nothing was left alive, nothing cared about her, nothing for her to care about that would survive long enough for her to tend it. She jerked her head around and her eyes narrowed. The vine shook as she Stared. Its grip weakened and she pulled free, ignoring the pain in her limbs. The vine shrank back, and back, sliding down into the ground, smaller and smaller, until it hid within a dark black seed.

Which she crushed.

***

Applejack tried to scream around the vine that was stabbing up through the bottom of her jaw. More vines had burrowed through her legs, right through the ankles, lifting her into the air, crucified. A forest of vines surrounded her, each with its own grisly payload. All the life that should have been wandering the Everfree was there, wracked in pain, showing her what fate awaited her.

Her blood spilled down the vines, nourishing them with her life. Manny the manticore hung limp; the hydra had only a single head left alive. Her body sagged.

Nothing was left alive, nothing cared about her, nothing for her to care about that would survive long enough for her to tend it. And a sharp-tipped vine plunged into her chest.

***

AJ shook as the vines pulled her upright, back pinned against a rough-barked tree. Her forelegs ached as they were pulled back into a completely unnatural position. The broken-off stub of a branch was poking into her flank for good measure.

A high-pitched scream came from the side of the path, and Apple Bloom came racing back, vines chasing after her.

“AJ! HALP!” her little sister screamed, and then the vines were on her. AJ felt her breath catch in her throat as the vines caught Apple Bloom’s tail, spun her into the air, and dashed her head against the path. Her little body hung limp as the vines lifted her for another.

She hadn’t been responsible enough, hadn’t checked that her sister was safe before running off into trouble. Granny must surely be crying at her failures right now. The tree cracked as she ripped it out of the ground, splintered the wood, reached into her frizzy mane, and pulled out a party cannon. The vines paused as the mouth of the cannon aimed at them, and AJ grabbed the firing cord.

“Smile, smile, smile, you sonuvabitch,” she growled at them, and pulled.

***

The vines were too powerful. Too strong. Something old and powerful was in them. He couldn’t make them respond. They weren’t order or chaos. They were evil, alien. Discord snapped his claws desperately, trying to escape. Machetes bounced off the vines. Lawnmowers ran out of gas. Lightsabers flickered and died. Agent Orange handed in his resignation.

Pinkamena came into view. A vine was plunged into her chest. Her pink coat was a dull grey. Her head was hanging. Her eyes were open, but there was nothing in them. No caring. No interest. Nothing.

The first friend he’d ever had was gone. It was all his fault. She’d never smile again, never forgive him anything again, never love him again despite everything he did that he knew was wrong and did anyway. His head drooped, and a sharp-tipped vine plunged into his chest.

***

Rarity staggered to her feet. The lack of pain in her head was remarkable. Her hoof went up and found her horn there, intact. Her friends were awakening, too - though Discord and their duplicates were still collapsed on the ground, not moving. She moved to help Fluttershy up.

“Are you all right?” she asked carefully.

Fluttershy pushed to her hooves and stretched. “Oh, yeah. I am awesome,” she said smugly. “Like I’m gonna let some stupid vines hurt you when I’m around.” She paused, and then quickly, anxiously said, “I mean, I’m not gonna let anything hurt you, ever, Rarity.”

Rarity gave her a squeeze and whispered in her ear, “I know.” Fluttershy let out a breath and hugged back.

Twilight stood and reached up to her head as well, finding her own horn intact. Dash looked anxiously back at her wings and stretched them. AJ and Pinkamena looked around, looked to each other, and nodded.

“So… what’s with them?” asked Fluttershy, releasing the hug and pointing at the others, still on the ground.

Rarity leaned closer to look. A dark magical flow was rising from the soil and into their mouths; a thin shimmering strand of light was spilling out the other way. Her horn lit as she checked with a spell, then stood.

“They didn’t get free,” she said quietly. “The Everfree is draining their souls. We have to hurry.”

“What? But they’re so strong,” said Pinkamena, looking down at them. “How could we get free when they couldn’t? They’re… us, but better.”

Twilight found her hat and set it back on her head. “Dunno about you, sugarcube, but Ah have ta push harder ‘n that jes’ ta make mahself get outta bed in th’ mornin’ most days,” she drawled. “They ain’t used to failin’.”

“Well,” said Dash uncertainly. “Hurrah for us, then. Such wonderful failures we are, yes?”

“Not anymore,” said Rarity firmly. “We have our chance to fix this. To fix everything. This Beast has been ruining our world, our destinies, for centuries. Our friends here gave us a spark, a push, to get us together. We can be what we were meant to be - and I am not letting their efforts go to waste! Now - move!”

And they set off at full gallop down the path, dodging and ducking around the vines rather than fighting their way through.