• Published 10th Aug 2014
  • 22,447 Views, 842 Comments

Dead/Light - Lord Destrustor



Twilight Sparkle wakes up buried alive. One of the words in the previous sentence was a lie.

  • ...
47
 842
 22,447

Deny/Laugh

I just stared at Applejack for a moment, our bodies’ movements producing a low, ambient scratching sound in my ears as the stethoscope rubbed against the base of my neck. Her green, bloodshot eyes boring into mine, unmoving, unblinking, filled with confusion and fear. Winona’s growls quieted for the time being, apparently smothered by the sudden tension of what I had just been told by my friend. My honest, truthful friend, whom I had every reason to trust, whom I knew I should never doubt for any reason or any circumstance. My trustworthy friend who had apparently gone certifiably, terrifyingly, borderline criminally insane.

“Pfah-ha-ha-ha-ha!”

My laughter pierced the night, quickly escalating to a full-blown, high-pitched, rasping wheeze. I coughed again and laughed a bit more. Sweet Celestia my throat was so dry, I must’ve been a lot more thirsty than I thought.

“Ha-ha-ha… heh, you got me there for a second, A.J., I never knew you were such a good actor!”

She had taken a step back at my outburst, hesitating as I choked, before setting her hooves back down as I had kept speaking. She was now looking at me with a worried yet still subtly terrified expression.

“Twi…”

“I mean, really, ‘You’re dead’…Ha! Good one! I almost believed you for a second! Who knew the element of honesty could have such a perfect poker face!”

“But Twilight…”

“You can stop pretending now, I already busted you! Who put you up to this anyway? Was it Pinkie? No, wait, that sounds more like something Rainbow would come up with. Are they hiding somewhere in here? Come out guys! That was a very funny prank, but playtime’s over!”

I scanned the room, waiting for Pinkie Pie or Rainbow Dash to burst out of the cupboards or something.

“Twilight!”

“Seriously, me, dead? Ha! I’m obviously alive, really; I’m standing right here! Zombies don’t exist, any rational mind knows that!”

“Twil-“

I’M NOT DEAD!

My deafening scream echoed through the house, but I didn’t mind as I forced air in and out of my lungs in a rapid tempo. Applejack stood further back, one hoof raised as if she was seriously considering fleeing my presence, her terror readily apparent on her face. The stethoscope faintly thumped on the ground as it fell from my ears.

“I’m not dead! I’m standing right here! I’m speaking to you! I can’t be dead! I’m alive and moving and conscious, and I’m certainly not a ghost because you touched me just a second ago, and I’m not a zombie because they don’t exist, and I’m not dead because how could I be dead if I’m here and moving and thinking and speaking at this unreasonable pace even when it’s perfectly justified by my most honest friend trying to tell me a blatant lie, because she wants me to believe I’m dead when I most obviously am not. I’m. Not. Dead. I’m not dead, I’m not dead, I’M NOT DEAD!”

The horror on her face slowly melted, morphing into some sort of pained sorrow as her eyes glistened with forming tears.

“I don’t know what to tell you, Twi, I-“

“JUST STOP LYING TO ME! I’m not dead! Why are you doing this to me? What did I do to you? Whatever it is, I’m sure we could work it out without resorting to… whatever it is you’re trying to do here! Aren’t we friends? What kind of sick joke is this? What kind of sick bastard would do this to a friend? Did you build that giant stupid mausoleum?”

“But you’re dead, I saw your body! I-“

“Stop it stop it stop it STOP THAT! I’m not dead! This isn’t funny anymore! How dare you do this to me! What is wrong with you?”

I stepped forward while screaming, making her back up into a wall while Winona took her place in front of me. She was barking freely now, her fur bristling as she shielded her master from me.

“And what is wrong with your stupid dog? Why can’t she shut up? Did you actually train her to bark at me like an insane mutt, barking and barking and BARKING to drive me insane? To make me snap? To harass me into insanity while you lie to me, to weaken and torture my mind while you work your horrible little lies into my head? It’s not going to work because she’s going TO SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT THE HELL UP YOU STUPID VERMIN!”

As I screamed into her face, Winona grew more and more aggressive, her fur bristling ever wider and her posture lowering some more, until I saw her claws suddenly dig into the old wood of the floor. She lunged at me, jaws wide, aiming for my head or somesuch.

I simply grabbed her with my telekinesis, clamping her mouth shut in the process.

“Shut up.”

I socked her in the face with my hoof and shook her magically before throwing her into a wall. A small yelp of pain accompanied a faint crack as she tumbled to the floor.

“Shut up,” I repeated to the twitching dog, before whirling back to face Applejack. I was so angry at her, so frustrated by her stubborn refusal to face the truth. How could she lie to me, straight to my face, and say I was dead? I didn’t care that she had backed up into a corner, still pushing her hooves in an attempt to get further away from me. All part of her cruel, senseless act. She wanted me to believe that she was terrified of me, that I was something to fear; some sort of ghost or revenant or zombie. That horrible, cruel joke had gotten stale about forever ago. It was about time this charade ended.

“Now, Applejack. You’re going to tell me the truth.” I slowly walked up to her as I spoke, closing the distance between us. She tried to kick at me with her hind legs: I held them to the floor with my magic. “Could a dead pony do this? Would a dead pony be talking to you and moving around? The dead don’t come back, Applejack. So, if I’m here, and a hypothetically dead me couldn’t possibly be here, what does that mean?”

I was basically over her at that point, looming over her prone form in a corner of the room. She tried to punch me, but I easily caught her hoof in my magic. I pinned it to the wall, doing the same to the other one. She was struggling, eyes closed and muttering ‘no’ over and over again while shaking her head. “Come on, it’s not that hard! A-L-I-V-E. I’m alive! Repeat after me: Twilight, you are alive. Come on, say it. Tell me I’m alive. Stop lying like a jerk and tell me I’m alive. Say it to me! SAY IT! SAY I’M ALIVE YOU BASTARD! SAY IT!!!”

She was openly bawling like an infant while I screamed mere inches from her face, her whole body twitching and shaking under the strain of trying to fight off my magic grasp. I decided that I wasn’t going to stand for her trying to worm her way out of telling the truth by becoming unintelligible. I knew telling the truth always made her feel better, that was something she liked to say sometimes. ‘Telling the truth takes the weight of guilt off your back,’ she would often say. So I just needed to help her out a little. Because that’s what friends do. I extended my telekinesis to grab her jaw and began making her enunciate ‘Twilight, you’re alive’ while providing the words with my own voice. She’d thank me later.

“Get the heck away from my sister!” was the only warning I got before some sort of red freight train rudely shoved me through the nearest window. Well, technically, “Get the” was the warning; the rest came after the impact, just before I was momentarily deafened by the sound of an entire window pane shattering around my barrel. I landed about a second later, rolling freely in the grass.

When I got up, shaking broken glass out of my mane, I could see Big Macintosh glaring at me through the window. He seemed surprised or startled for a moment, before his face settled in a grim, defiant expression.

“Dontcha dare come any closer!” he warned me. He looked at me like I was some kind of monster, some sort of deranged mare.

Couldn’t he see that it was Applejack who was currently clearly demented? Applejack was lying, Somepony had buried me alive, someone threatened or blackmailed Fluttershy with something so horrible that she didn’t even want to look at me or be in the same room, the freaking moon had had its phases tampered with, and everyone looked at me like I was the crazy one? This wasn’t just a prank, it was an outright conspiracy!

I needed to get out of here. I needed answers. I took off, my wings pushing me straight up until the Apple farmhouse was no more than a dot on the ground.

I hovered there for a moment, catching my breath. Where could I go? Who could I seek for help? This… conspiracy ran deep; they could build a mausoleum overnight, they could convince Applejack to lie, they had either done something to the moon or to Princess Luna herself. Everypony in Ponyville was no doubt already under their control, knowing I’d go for my friends first if I ever needed help. I had already fallen for it twice, with two of them, but now I was on to them. I knew better now. I needed to do something unexpected.

What would Twilight Sparkle do? What did I usually turn to when I needed help? My books. Yes, first and foremost, I’d look in my books for a solution. And then what? My friends, yes, obviously. After that? Hmm, maybe the princess. Then I’d be stumped. Good. Those were all very obvious choices I’d make, choices I’d be expected to make.

I just needed to avoid them all, and the web of lies would have no way of catching me. Perfect! If I could just lay low for a while and work on sorting this out, I’d have it figured out in no time. I scanned the horizon, looking for someplace safe and far away, someplace I could hide while uncovering the truth. Canterlot caught my eyes. It was risky, with the princesses so close, but my family was there. They’d never betray me like that, they’d help me for sure. At the very least, they’d help me think of a better place to hide.

I also had to make sure they were safe.

My wings clapped in the silent night as I suddenly thrust myself in the direction of the lonely mountain and the sparkling city hanging on its side. The numerous lights of the numerous streetlamps of the many cramped streets and alleys formed a constellation upon which I could home in, my pace increasing effortlessly as I drew ever closer. I was no longer tired or cramped, no longer sluggish and numb. I had a plan, a goal. A purpose.

I’d find out what was going on and who was responsible even if it made the orange liar’s lies true in the process.

...


I sighed, letting out a breath I hadn’t noticed I was holding. Poor Applejack. I would have some apologies to make once this was over. She didn’t deserve my wrath, the way I had lashed out at her and Winona. She was just a hapless victim of this conspiracy, no doubt convinced of the veracity of her claims by some dark means. She would never have said such awful nonsense if she had even the slightest doubts. She wouldn’t lie to me unless she really believed it.

Which meant whoever was behind this was powerful indeed; to either corrupt or convince the element of honesty of such blatant fabrications, and so thoroughly that she’d defend them in the face of overwhelming evidence was a testament to the dedication of my foes. My eyes narrowed and I accelerated further. No matter who, why or how powerful they were, I would stop them.

I wasn’t made a princess to be everypony’s fool.

The bright metropolis grew closer and closer, until its innumerable dots of light became individually distinguishable and I could begin to recognize the streets themselves. Even from the air, my familiarity with the city guided me towards my destination as easily as ever before. Between the white towers blackened by the night I found my way, silently gliding towards my old home.

My parents’ house.

Not the optimal hiding place, certainly not the most secure haven, and probably expected of me; but still the one place I knew I could feel safe once more. My own family would never betray me; they’d accept me with open arms, tears of joy and relief for their miraculously safe daughter in their eyes, and a warm meal to help me recount the events of the day.

A smile came to my lips as I braced for the landing, the thought of a reprieve from this nightmarish ordeal enough to make me a bit careless. The landing was less than stellar, forcing me into a short gallop past the front door as I struggled to stifle my momentum. I finally stopped nearly dead-center before the living room’s massive bay window, giggling lightly at my own clumsiness and the thought of what Rainbow Dash would have to say about such a landing.

And then I began turning around to head back to the front door.

And in doing so, my eyes traveled across the window and I looked through the glass.

And my smile died.

Author's Note:

Ha ha, silly Twilight; of course zombies don't exist!


Technically you're a lich.


2/5