• Published 7th Mar 2014
  • 11,604 Views, 753 Comments

Fangs - Sapphic



Octavia was a very content pony, she had many things, wealth, a small group of friends, a lovely career as a cellist for The Canterlot Royal Symphony. But she never had the one thing she wanted...something wealth could never buy... but it has secrets

  • ...
32
 753
 11,604

And The Night Went On

*~~~*~~~*...Bigs...*~~~*~~~*

"You said you wanted to speak with me?" I asked my "master."

"Ah, Bigs." He said with a clearly, but albeit impressive, faked happy tone, turning around from the window he had been looking out of ever since I had walked, or limped rather, through the doors of the castle.

"So good to see your alright." He said, the smallest smile imaginable gracing his lips, and on top of that it was clearly faked: he never smiles.

I let out a grumble of a response.

"How did the mission go? I expected you back before now. Speaking of which, where is your partner?" He asked, almost feverishly. This time, there was some sound of actual feeling in his voice, but I knew it was only directed towards my "partner" that he had worked so hard to get a hold of.

"The mission went fine," I started. He visibly perked up at that.

"The vampire hunters evacuated the area, and I suspect that they won't be coming around here again anytime soon." I said, he seemed to grow with anticipation as I continued my report.

"And? What about your partner?" He said, clearly anxious.

"She just couldn't drop it, she ran off after them. Saying something about "not stopping until their dead" or something like that." I lied convincingly.

I had thought about a decent coverup for her disappearance on my way back to this castle, going as far as to practice the line over and over again to make sure I didn't stutter when I said it. Heck, I mustered the most truthful voice I had when I said it, even I was surprised it.

"Oh she did?" He asked suspiciously, a brow raised the slightest.

"I tell you, that mare is like a bloody war beast." I boasted, waving my hoof up in the air to try and make the act more believable.

"You should have seen it, she was practically a machine when she was fighting them!" I exclaimed in a tone of fake awe.

He seemed to be more reassured after I said this, visibly relaxing. Hopefully he believed it.

"So, you said she ran off after those hunters?" He said looking up slightly as he pondered whether to believe it or not before letting our a little chuckle.

"You see Bigs, this is why I wanted her. She has raw talent, and a drive to kill based off of just her instincts alone." He said, eyes closed with a smile, the biggest I had ever seen from him, though by basic standards it would still be considered pretty small.

"But imagine, imagine if we could take that raw talent, and sharpen it." He said as he opened his eyes and turned back around to stare out the window once more.

"She would be nearly unstoppable, it would take so much just to bring down her alone. She would not only be a vital asset to our kind, but I believe that we could do so much more with her." He rambled.

I was imagining at that point, and frankly, it was a pretty scary sight. If she had only used instinct before, she might actually be unstoppable if someone like my master honed that raw talent into frightening skill. Heck, she might be able to already rival my master with raw skill alone, but it would be one heck of a stretch if she tried.

"So, when will she be back." He asked.

'Oh no.' I thought.

I stayed silent in rapid thought. I was struggling to think of something on the spot, but luckily; he was still turned, but that wouldn't last much longer.

"Well?" He turned, giving me a piercing gaze.

"I-I'm not sure." I stammered on accident, giving him a stretch of truth as his face sunk to a flat expression.

"I see." He said, turning back to the window.

I felt a spike of panic rear up in the back of my mind, the fear of him seeing through my lie which now seemed paper thin threatening to consume me. I held my calm demeanor as best I could, but I was practically shaking on the inside.

"Well, if she isn't back by the tomorrow, I'll send out a few scouts to try and find her. My plan was to send them off today, but now that I have your word on her actions, I'll postpone them until then." He said, a voice like stone.

I breathed two mental sighs of relief, one for him postponing his scouts, and the other for him not seeing my lie. However, the fact still stood that the scouts would go out, unless by some miracle of a chance Vinyl returns, which I severely doubt that would happen at all.

"Okay." I replied, turning and heading towards the exit of the room, and half expected him to call for me once more, but he never did. He simply stared out the window while I closed the door behind me with a noisy click. I was off to the barracks for some well deserved rest.

*~~~*~~~*~~~*...Octavia...*~~~*~~~*~~~*

I let out a sigh cautiously, making sure not to exhale too fast for the sake of the now asleep guest who lie on my chest, and consequentially, my sake.

Vinyl had fallen asleep, believe it or not, right on my chest. I could tell by the way her breathing evened out suddenly, also the way she became fully relaxed. She seemed to be a very single minded pony, her mind only seeming to focus on one thing at a time and tended to succumb to baser want and needs, such as sleep and eating. Even doing them at the most awkward times possible, such as right now and the first time she tried to bite me.

But anyways, she had fallen asleep on my chest, a smile still on her face and the bare edge of one of her fangs gently pressing into my chest, thankfully it wasn't enough to penetrate my skin. There was also this thing she would do every so often that made that fang all the more fearful. You see, she wasn't exactly the most "motionless" of sleepers in the world, the occasional twitch and unexpected shake taking me off guard and scaring me a little.

It wasn't hard to go to sleep, my eyes felt heavy and even drifted shut on their own occasionally, but it was the fact that I was actually kind of scared to go to sleep with Vinyl on top of me like this. I mean, she was probably still thirsty, it's just that her sleep deprived and single headed mind had saved my blood.

But there was one problem:

I was getting cramps.

'Maybe I should try waking her up.' I thought to myself, remembering something she had told me earlier. Something about vampires being easy to persuade, if persuaded properly, and frankly I think that Vinyl might just so happen to be the type is easily persuaded.

I debated it with myself for a few seconds, about half a minute, until coming to a conclusion that was heavily influenced by a set of growing pains in both of my hind legs.

I steadily and slowly twisted a hood out of her own, just in case it took a bit more than some talking to get her out of her sleep.

Hopefully, it would only take my voice, but I had to be mindful of both Shakes and Sweeps who were only a few feet away. If they came in and saw us like this, there would probably be two possible outcomes. One would involve a lot of embarrassment felt by me and a laughing Shakes, the other would involve Shakes getting a head of herself and thinking Vinyl was trying to bite me.

"Vinyl." I whispered, getting a twitch out of her and a little grunt, but eventually a dilated red eye popped open and seemed to focus in on me, smiling as she found me.

"Hm?" She responded, nuzzling into my chest and getting a slight shiver out of me.

No biting yet; so far so good.

"Would you mind moving off of me?" I asked quietly.

Her smile faded as I asked that, turning into a face of groggy concentration.

"I don't know Tavi, you make a pretty good pillow." She cooed, another smile already formed.

"I'm getting a cramp Vinyl, please?" I pleaded.

"Oh fine." She said finally with a huff, sliding off my body and sinking into the side of me, a hoof still slew across my body, but I didn't mind that, I was too focused on the feeling of my cramp fading and letting out a content sigh.

I heard the light sound of a sniff.

"I can still smell the blood on your breath Tavi." She said as she curled into me, her lips close enough to my ear for me to feel the heat on her breath.

She didn't say it, but I could tell she was looking for a round two, and this time there was definitely going to be some sort of blood sucking involved.

I didn't have much time to react before a felt two small pricks in my neck, and an overcoming feeling of drowsiness come over me. I turned my head to face Vinyl as I tried to fight the weight in my eyes, but they were just too much and my eyes closed, the last sight being a joyous look growing on her face.

*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*

A pitch black scene was the start, nothing visible in the distance, and nothing visible in front of me. I knew I was there, for I was still breathing in and out in a clam pace. I realized that there was a familiar weight resting on my body, along with the fact that I was stood upright on my hind legs; a position that was all to familiar with me.

Just as I began to wonder where I was, a sudden burst of light pierced the blackness and shone down upon me, revealing to me my surroundings.

I was on a wooden floor, a stage from what I could tell, standing upright with my cello resting against my body. In front of me there was a crowd of figures, each seemed to be too far away for me to make out there faces but I could tell, for some reason or another, that all of their eyes on me. I stiffened under the pressure; the thought of all those gazes making my hairs stand on end.

Then I realized what they were doing; they were waiting.

"Tavi..." I heard a small voice speak off in the farthest corner of my mind, somewhere where their voice was muffled and too far away for me to give it any form of concern or thought.

I brought the bow up to my cello, my mind racing to settle on a song to play for the silent crowd. My mind landed on one, the most recent song that was left in my mind: Cello Suite Prelude.

I quickly began the melody; starting off a bit too fast, but quickly reducing the pace back down to its appropriate rhythm.

There eyes seemed to burn into me the longer I played yet I couldn't see them. The attention was becoming a distraction to me; the occasional note played a little flimsy. I had never succumbed to pressure, I usually thrive silently in it, but this time was different; this time the attention was a problem.

"Tavi..." This time the voice caught the slightest part of my attention, making my ears flick in the slightest way, but, for the most part, it was drowned out by my playing.

The song winded to an end, just as the first bead of sweat began to form on my brow. I was panting a little as I let out a breath I hadn't realized I had been holding.

I looked up to the "audience" to see if they were doing anything but found that the stands were empty; every featureless face gone and in their place was nothing but a blackness.

"Tavi..." I heard the voice say, sounding like it had come behind me, I turned around just in time to see something white bite down hard on my neck.

*~~~*~~~~*~~~*~~~*

"Tavi?" I heard a voice say almost frantically as the feeling of being shook began to annoy me.

My eye's cracked open to see Vinyl looking at me with a fearful expression.

"Vinyl?" I said weakly, the exhaustion could literally be heard in my tone.

"Are you okay Tavi? You were jerking around in your sleep." She sounded serious.

"Uh..." I was at a loss of words. Did she not remember last night? She was probably the cause of that dream considering what she had told me thus far about the bites, specifically the venomous ones that were supposed to induce some from of suggestibility.

She had also added "hallucinations" onto that list, but claimed that they would only occur if one was injected with enough of the venom. I assumed that, based off that dream, that I had.

The tent fold opened suddenly, letting a bright orange shine into the tent. Shakes peaked in and looked at us both, a few thoughts visibly crossing her mind before she decided to speak up.

"You two ready or do you plan on saying her name a few more times Vinyl? We still have to find wherever it is this guy you guys are after is at." She said, clearly expecting an answer.

I looked to Vinyl and she looked at me, we seemed to have a silent understanding that we would have to talk about this later. She scrambled off of me and got up, I followed soon after but decided against walking out, letting her go on ahead and past Shakes.

I was a bit more hesitant to go; I was beginning to reconsider this whole trip. I mean, I wanted to help, but when the one you trying to help is also somewhat of a constant "threat" as well, it's a bit hard and confusing at times.

"Octavia." Shakes's voice shook me from my thoughts.

"You coming?" She asked. I hadn't realized she had still been standing there. Or had she? Had she just been staring at me this whole time?

"Oh...Yeah, sorry..." I said softly.

She seemed to pick up on my attitude. She took a quick look behind her and then walked into the tent, walking up to me with a look of concern on her face.

"Is something wrong?" She asked.

"Well..." I stopped and began to debate in my mind whether or not to tell her.

"Well what?" She asked, eyes narrowing into an intense stare of suspicion that sped up my mental debate.

"It's just that...last night Vinyl..." She seemed to be able to connect the last pieces of the verbal puzzle for me.

"Fed?" She said almost fearfully with growing eyes.

I nodded silently.

She quickly looked behind her once more, taking a moment to go and poke her head out the tent's flaps, before returning her attention back to me.

"Did you do anything to provoke her? I noticed she was a bit weird before we went to bed. She's flirty, but she's doesn't do it so blatantly like how she was last night." She asked feverishly.

"Well, I think that it was a cut on my hoof." I said, raising my hoof for her to see. Her head jerked up and looked at it closely before letting out an annoyed huff.

"Why didn't you tell me? Or anyone?" She almost yelled, clearly getting worked up about this, but she kept her voice hushed so no one outside would here.

I was at a loss for words; I didn't know. While I was stammering to come up with an explanation, she seemed to give up her annoyance.

"Look," She sighed again, putting a single hoof up to her head, running it through her mane lazily.

"Don't ever hide things like that unless you're trying to hide them from Vinyl. Got it?" She said, regaining a tone of scolding.

I nodded quickly.

"Good. Vinyl and my sis are probably done packing everything else by now and waiting for us being unicorns and all, so help me roll up the tent and sleeping bag so this doesn't start to look suspicious." She said, grabbing one end of the bedroll.

I started helping her quickly, first helping her pack up the bedroll, and then helping her take down the tent. After all of that was done, we joined back up with the rest of our group, packed up everything into the bags, and then pulled out a few of the snacks that Shakes and her sister had brought with.

They each ate some sort of bars while me and Vinyl split a dry, smashed, and beat up sandwich. Despite its abused appearance, the taste if it was quite good.

Afterwards, Shakes got up; trotting in front of me, Vinyl and her sister, eying me and my hoof specifically before turning her gaze back to Vinyl.

One thing I noticed when I was showing my hoof to Shakes was that the cut had turned into a hardly visible mark; I wondered briefly if that was Vinyl's doing, but decided to drop it for now. At least it was healed up and not dripping blood anymore.

"Well, Vinyl, are you ready to lead the way?" She said expectantly.

It took both me and Vinyl to catch onto her reasoning but when it hit us, it made both of us feel kind of dumb. Vinyl was really the only one that knew where exactly the castle was, therefore it was pretty much all up to her to lead us to the castle. All thought I'm sure that Shakes and Sweeps could probably find the castle with enough time and resource.

After that explanation, Vinyl took the lead with an unsure look on her face. She took what seemed to be a random path that led down the darkest trail of the forest, going through the certain areas that would make most who saw them make a note to avoid them at all costs.

I was beginning to loose some of my faith in Vinyl about thirty minutes in but, with Shakes behind me, I knew going back wasn't going to be an easy option, if it was an option at all.

*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*

"Are you sure we're going the right way Vinyl?" I heard the voice of Shakes ask from behind me.

"This is the way I remember coming from and going through; it's literally the only way I know Shakes." She said from in front of me, her voice slightly annoyed by the protesting and constant questioning that Shakes was giving her. She had been doing it for quite awhile now, along with complaining about her legs getting tired.

"Sis, why don't you be quite." Sweeps said from the very back, speaking just about everyone's mind in one simply sentence. Maybe not the 'sis' part though.

Vinyl took a sudden left, going off onto a trail so unused it was almost invisible. She pushed aside a few branches and bushes, letting them go and come back to nearly hit me in the face.

As much as I hate to admit it, I was beginning to side with Shakes's thoughts. You would think that someplace holding a castle would have a trail that was more worn out, not one that had patches of grass covering most of it. I decided to hold my tongue and not begin to protest; Vinyl was getting edgy enough as is, something seemed to be agitating her other than Shakes, and she didn't need twice the amount of pests bugging her.

Another thing that I shared with Shakes was an aching in my hoof, but that might be because of that cut from earlier considering it's mainly all in the hoof alone. Not to say I wasn't sore, I definitely was.

Vinyl began to lead us up a rather steep hill, and that's when Shakes began to loose it. She didn't complain, just groaned really loudly and obnoxiously over and over again until something gave her some form of attention; a rock wrapped in a bright blue haze of magic.

"Ow." She said upon impact, reaching up and rubbing the spot where she was hit.

"Groan again and I'm throwing a tree limb. After that is the whole tree." Vinyl said threateningly, snapping her eyes back for a quick second.

Shakes tried testing that threat, most likely thinking it's a bluff, but as soon as she heard the sound of a branch being snapped by Vinyl's magic, she went silent.

We finally reached the top of the hill and walked over to a seemingly random large pile of brush. Unlike all the other turns Vinyl had made, there was no path here; the grass actually came up about a foot off the ground.

"Well," Said Shakes, cautiously testing and waiting for the sound of breaking tree limbs before continuing.

"Is this it?" She asked, staring at the pile of sticks and vine before turning to Vinyl and giving her the most dead pan of looks.

Vinyl nodded and stepped forwards, wedging one of her hooves under the base of the pile of brush and pulling upwards. The cloak of heavy vine and wood lifted, revealing a clearing that was accented by a stone walkway lined with dimly lit torches. It was odd, the scenery around here seemed more brighter than the rest of the forest; it gave off the look of a setting sun, but red. In the distance, I could make out the faintest outline of what looked like a black castle; it's true color could have been anything in the light.

"Whoa." Sweeps was the first to break the silence; breaking it with a single word that summed up all of our thoughts collectively.

"So..." Shakes stuttered, ending it with a gulp. "T-that's the castle."

"Yep." Vinyl answered simply.

"A-and were supposed to raid that?" Shakes added in, now stuttering as well.

"Yep." Vinyl answered again.

I probably would have added in some mutter or question of disbelief, but I was too awestruck at the scene that presented itself in front of me. It was menacing, no; scratch that, it was evil looking.

"You weren't kidding when you said suicide huh?" Shakes was more calm now, but still audibly frightened.

"Actually, it might not be that suicidal." Sweeps spoke up, catching all of our attentions with her claim.

"How so?" I asked, brow raised.

A devious, even somewhat unnerving, smile graced her lips; a smile of that akin to a genius with a foolproof plan. She raised a hoof and pointed down the stone path.

All of our eyes followed and landed on a pair of, what looked like, guards who were resting on the ground near one of the posts that held some of the torches. Leaned up against the post were two long, black spears with a pair of helmets sitting on the tips of them. The helmets were black as well, the fronts of the faces were open but had a plate that was able to slide down to cover the face if needed.

"I have an idea." Sweeps said with a wicked tone, her hooves rubbing together while she let out a creepy laugh.

Shakes turned her head to face her sister with a face of contorted confusion and a raised hoof. She sent it forward and nearly knocked her sister of her hooves, but she did manage to get her to stop her maniacal laughter.

"Really?" Shakes asked.

"Sorry." Her sister said sheepishly

"But I really do have a plan that might work." She added at the end.

"Really?" Vinyl dropped the bags to the ground with a thump, followed by her own body landing on top of them.

"Let's hear it." She said.

Author's Note:

Took a little break (The reason for no chapter last week) and played a little Destiny, great game by the way, but I decided to churn through this chapter. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, maybe two, three or four chapters, but I can barley see the details on the way to get there. Anyways, tell me what you think, you guys are the best.