• Published 7th Mar 2014
  • 11,591 Views, 753 Comments

Fangs - Sapphic



Octavia was a very content pony, she had many things, wealth, a small group of friends, a lovely career as a cellist for The Canterlot Royal Symphony. But she never had the one thing she wanted...something wealth could never buy... but it has secrets

  • ...
32
 753
 11,591

High Places

The first place I went to check is my apartment, all but shoving an elderly mare out of the way. I'd like to say I was fueled by care for my new friend who saved my life, but the truth was it was more anger and rage that fueled me than care and compassion. I care for Vinyl, but the rules of friendship clearly put Beauty above her, not only have I known Beauty for longer, but she has been there for me in some of the worst situations and I won't stand idly by when one of my few friends hates something that I can contain or control. In this case it was my house guest, that was still a big mystery to me. She could either be a vicious killer that held thousands of bits, or a homeless mare who can't even afford a newspaper, either way she shouldn't have kept all of this hidden from me. I mean, if she was going to be staying in my home she should at least tell me her background. The elevator bell rang and rushed down the hallway to my room and burst through the door, only to find it empty.

"Darn..." I muttered to myself in frustration. Where would she be I thought, running through all of the locations Vinyl might be at and that's when it clicked. The club! I gave myself a mental pat on the back before setting out to The Cozy Colt.

*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*

When I arrived at the club, the lights were on but the door, however, was locked. I gave the door a few quick knocks, I heard a bit of brief shuffling before the door cracked open to reveal a very disheveled Shakes who, upon seeing me, put on a rather disgusted look.

"Yes?" She spat to me, earning a cringe out of me.

"Do you know whe-" I asked before being interrupted by her.

"No Octavia, we don't know where Vinyl is...we haven't seen her since we last left your apartment." She said with a tone that caused my ears to drop and my head to lower.

"Octavia..." She said, I raised my head. "I don't care what you did...but you need to find Vinyl." Her tone was now almost pleading.

"Is there anyone you know who could help find her." She asked.

Well there was...them.

"I think I might know some ponies who would help us, I won't like it though." She gave me a glare and I sighed heavily.

"Fine, I will go search for them, there is no guarantee that they will help." I finally said, making an emphasis on the point that I might return with no help.

"Thank you, Octavia." Her tone was finally non-hostile, though she really never was hostile, she gave off the impression. I nodded and turned on my hooves, setting off to find them.

*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*

I trotted down a large street at a very reluctant pace, I always hated coming here. I turned a corner, leading me up a long cobblestone pathway to a large gate, blocking out everypony from the house hiding behind it. I approached the gate and saw the small box with a buzzer in the center, I reached out and hovered my hoof over the button. Maybe I should just leave...I'm sure I could find her without their help. I quickly shook my head. No, I've come too far to leave now and I made it clear that I would try to Shakes. I was about to press in on the button until, to my surprise the gates opened without me pressing the button. I heard the intercom crackle at first and then I heard a deep voice speak out.

"Welcome back, Miss Melody." I sighed and walked through the gates. Here we go...

*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*

I stood in front of a large oak door, looking at the engravings that covered it, giving it an expensive look. I sighed deeply and lifted my hoof up and gave the door three solid knocks. Not a minute later a broad stallion opened the door, dressed in a sharp tuxedo, giving off a superior aura.

"Yes?" he said in an overly exaggerated accent. I smiled.

"May I come in, Wilfred?" I stifled a laugh, and poked him in the chest, he let out a laugh that I returned as he came in and gave me a quick hug.

"Of course, Miss Melody." He said in a new, less exaggerated accent, as he released his grasp and stepped aside, letting me into a large waiting room. The room itself was in a circular shape with a dome shaped glass roof. It was furnished with a variety of fancy and expensive looking vases and couches, all on top of marble flooring with a large red rug resting in the center of the room.

"Not that there is anything wrong with it but is there any reason that I have the pleasure of seeing you this late Miss Melody?" Wilfred asked in a tone of genuine care. Wilfred was like my distant brother, he had cared for me ever since my birth, and was like my father figure growing up in this house. He had helped me through both thick and thin, no matter what the repercussions were for him, a truly loyal stallion.

"I need to speak with...them..." Wilfred let out a slight chuckle.

"Octavia, I don't see why you have such a grudge with your parents, they are truly kind to you." I cringed. Yes, what he said was true, my parents were probably some of the nicest ponies in Equestria, but that was it, they were too nice, giving out money like they're was no end to it, hosting a variety of events for seemingly no particular reason. I love my parents, I truly do, but whenever I came home to ask for help it made me feel useless and inefficient, because they were seemingly able to solve any problem in seconds that I had spent weeks trying to solve. One thing that made them so powerful was their links with the upper crust, they had contacts in practically everything ranging from fashion superstars to the captain of the guard himself.

"I do not have a 'grudge' against them Wilfred, It's just that I hate asking them for help. If it were under another circumstance, I assure you, I would be in a more cheerful mood." Wilfred raised a brow at this.

"Oh? And what has you in such a stance that you feel the need to seek out your parents help? I know that you are a very resourceful pony, Octavia." Wilfred questioned. It was true, I was fairly resourceful and, might I say myself, frugal.

"I need to find somepony." I said curtly, this response only raised his speciousness even more, but I guess he decided not to question me on the matter anymore.

"Very well, I will fetch them and tell them of your arrival; I'm sure will be eager to meet you." He said as he exited through a door in the side of the waiting room. I took a seat on a rather expensive looking white couch in the far side of the room and waited for Wilfred to return with my parents. The door reopened about 3 minutes later and, to my surprise, Wilfred returned without my parents.

"Your father is in his study and is expecting you, you are lucky your mother is out on business." Wilfred said with a slight grin.

That's a relief, if I had to chose over my two parents, not that I want to, I would probably pick my father. He was far more relaxed than my mother and didn't jump the gun on events that required his immediate decisions, in fact he rarely reacted to anything. He has never, in all my 16 years in this house, gotten worried over anything, it was kind of scary if you ask me, but that didn't mean he didn't care, quite the opposite in fact. He has stood with me for nearly every obstacle in my path, only rivaled by Wilfred thanks to his business profession, he was a musician like me of course, but also a fairly big name in stocks as well. In all honesty he probably understood me better than my mother did.

I exhaled and got up from my position on the couch and trotted over to Wilfred, who led me down a long hallway that was overly decorated with many expensive looking paintings and light with dim lanterns. When we reached the end of the hallway Wilfred opened a door that led me into a rather large room, the walls lined with bookshelves packed to the brim with books and a large oak desk in the middle that had two candles burning dimly on each side. Behind the desk sat my father, a dark grey stallion with a black mane, strung with gray highlights, who when we entered, looked up from some paper work with his deep purple eyes and put on a smile that warmed me.

"How are you dear?" He asked as he got up from his position in his chair from behind the desk and trotted over to give me a heartwarming hug that only a father could give.

"Fine Dad, how are you doing?" I asked as I returned the hug, smiling.

"Well your arrival just made it a lot better." He said warmly, releasing me from his embrace. I have to admit, my father was a real softy, and I loved that about him. Not only that, he was actually quite an enjoyable guy when he slacks off, a thing he does frequently.

"Your mother is out on one of her 'girls nights out'." He said, 'air quoting girls night out'.

"As per usual?" I asked jokingly, earning a chuckle out of him.

"Indeed, so what brings you back to my little slice of heaven?" He asked, walking over to a set of comfy looking chairs positioned in front of a dark window. Once he had taken his seat he asked for Wilfred, who had been standing in the door way patiently, to go fetch some tea while I took the seat across from him.

"I need to find somepony father..." I said rather bluntly, he didn't even raise a brow, his smile un-moving.

"Oh? And why might you need to find this somepony?" He questioned, relaxing in his seat.

"Well, she has helped me a lot and...well, I'll just say I'm in a rather bad looking position with her." He remained as cool as always.

"What do you mean by 'bad looking position'?" He questioned.

"Well, do you remember that whole thing about the symphonies new practice building that had Beauty all tore up?" He nodded and chuckled slightly.

"Yes, yes I do." He said, still grinning.

"Well as it turns out, she was the mare who outbid us ." His smile only grew.

"So Beauty blew a fuse on her?" He asked playfully.

"Even more so when she found out I had been helping her." I smiled sheepishly.

"Wait, you said that you helped her...how exactly did you help her? It seems like she could have helped herself with any matter if she possesses such wealth." he asked with a more serious tone.

"Maybe I should tell you the whole story." I suggested, to which he nodded. To my surprise, he never even flinched throughout the entire story, some parts he even laughed at, of course, I did leave a few things. One of them, of course, was the fact that vampires were real, I was trying to make this sound believable. The other was Vinyl's name, I simply referred to Vinyl as 'her' or 'she' instead of saying her actual name, and by the end of the story he was probably curious about her name. I was thankful when Wilfred brought back a tray of tea during the middle of the story, as my throat was hurting from talking so much.

"So what was this mare's name?" He asked with a now large smile on his face.

"Vinyl Scratch." I replied. His smile instantly faded and he visibly tensed, for once in the entirety of my life, I saw panic in my father's eyes, it wasn't much, but it was more panic than I had ever seen from him.

"Father?" I questioned, somewhat concerned about why he would tense up over that. He looked up to me and put on a clearly fake smile and a much practiced look of ease.

"Octavia, why was it you said you needed to find her again?" He asked, his tone void of any emotion in particular.

"I said that I'm in a bad looking position with her, she seemed pretty mad because she thought I was kicking her out but I wasn't actual-"

"I'll get somepony to find her..." He got up from his seat and started out of the room, opening the door to reveal a surprised Wilfred who was about to knock.

"Sir, Madame Melody has arrived." My father made no acknowledgement of the fact and only trotted past him. Wilfred looked in through the doorway to me with a confused look on his face. All I could do was shrug, equally confused about my father's behavior.

"Well Octavia" Wilfred said. "Your mother is home and would 'love to see you'." He air quoted. I groaned and started towards the door to face...My mother

Author's Note:

Done and done! Tell me what you think and how it could improve!