• Published 8th Mar 2014
  • 769 Views, 15 Comments

Love is Power II: Crash and Burn - ThaStrangr



After one year together, Twilight appears to be having misgivings about her relationship with Fluttershy. Will their love survive the fall or will it crash and burn?

  • ...
8
 15
 769

A Perfect Day

The sun poured in through the windows, gently cascading over the faces of two sleeping mares. The yellow mare slowly opened her eyes, taking in the tranquility of another beautiful day. She stepped down at a snail’s pace, ensuring she didn’t disturb her still sleeping partner. She stretched and walked toward the opposite wall, stopping to appreciate a nearby calendar. A nostalgic smile graced her lips.


“One year,” Fluttershy recalled pleasantly, “One year we’ve been together. It feels like only yesterday we were huddled together, sheltering from that storm she planned.” Fluttershy closed her eyes to recollect that moment. The roaring thunder. The warm bed. The beautiful violet eyes staring deeply into hers.


That memory always put a smile on her face. She turned back to her love, still stalking the realm of the night princess. She walked over and gently placed her lips on the unicorn’s head before heading downstairs.


The smell of fresh blueberry pancakes and hay bacon strips drifted through the air. Fluttershy entered the kitchen to see two little figures swiftly moving to and fro. For a moment, she simply watched her family bustling about the kitchen. Eventually, she decided to make her presence known.

“You two sure got an early start today.” The other two turned and frowned at the mare.

“Awwww,” sighed Nyx, “We wanted to surprise you two with breakfast in bed. To commemorate your year as a part of our family.” Fluttershy walked over and pulled the two into a warm embrace.

“How sweet are you two? Thank you, Spike. Thank you, Nyx. Sorry I ruined your surprise.” Spike waved her apology off.

“Don’t worry about it, Fluttershy. We can surprise Twilight. Go ahead and sit. We’ll have breakfast ready in 2 minutes.” She eagerly seated herself at the table.

“So, are you gonna be here for dinner tonight, Fluttershy?” Fluttershy sighed at the little dragon’s question.

“No. I need to be home tonight. I’ve really been neglecting the animals lately. I hope they’re not too upset with me.” Spike nodded silently in understanding and flipped a pancake over his head, landing it perfectly on the mare’s plate, eliciting a small giggle from her.

___________________________________________________________

The unicorn stretched and let out a rather large yawn. As she did so, she felt something pressing down on her. She opened her eyes to see a small bed tray positioned on top of her. On it sat blueberry pancakes, several hay bacon strips, a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice, and a card. Ignoring her rumbling stomach, she reached first for the card.


The front cover stated simply “To Twilight and Fluttershy”. She gently pulled the flaps apart to reveal the inside panels. A copy of the first photo she and Fluttershy took as a couple was taped on one side. On the other appeared to be some type of text.


To celebrate a year of laughs
Ringing throughout this tree
To appreciate all of the love
Shared in our family
For the care that you’ve shown both of us
And that you show each other
We’ll take a moment to say thank you
To Equestria’s greatest mothers

-With love,

Spike and Nyx


Twilight wiped her eyes and placed the card in her dresser, where she would see it every day. She quickly scarfed down her food and trotted downstairs. She snuck around the corner to see the others enjoying a delightful family breakfast together. Without warning, Spike and Nyx were encompassed in violet auras and pulled into the waiting forelegs of a nearby lavender unicorn mare. She gave the poor drake an onslaught of pecks on his head.

“Twilight! What’re you doing?” He playfully attempted to retreat, but the grin on his face showed he loved every second of it.

“I just wanted you both to know that I love you.” He smiled up at her.

“We know.”

“Good,” she stated as she renewed her assault.

“Come on, Twilight. Nyx is here, too.”

“Right you are,” Twilight agreed as she redirected her attention to the filly in her other foreleg. The mare at the table giggled like a school filly at her family. Upon hearing this noise, Twilight turned and cast a menacing grin to the pegasus.

“Oh, don’t think I’ve forgotten about you.” Fluttershy gulped as the unicorn pounced on her, pinning her down and kissing her all over. The room’s two younger occupants feigned retching and attempted to step out, but were once again pulled into the embrace of the mares. The four simply lie on the floor, laughing. Another perfect beginning to another perfect day for this perfect little family.

Author's Note:

The major delay with this story was that I couldn't for the life of me think of an appropriate title.
Anyway, this story's gonna be a short one. Maybe three or four chapters.