• Published 6th Mar 2014
  • 4,164 Views, 139 Comments

Mail Order Orphan - kudzuhaiku



These days, you can get anything through the mail. Fluttershy orders an orphan. Good things arrive in small, if sometimes, confusing packages. Warning, contents may be flammable!

  • ...
10
 139
 4,164

Chapter 9

Fluttershy stood just outside of the door. It was slightly ajar. Ivy sniffed the door frame. “Applejack?” She inquired.

“‘Shy, that you?” Applejack answered. “Get in here. I’m bored. And lonesome.”

Fluttershy gently pushed the door open and entered. The room was sunny and bright. There were fresh flowers by the bed. A pile of books sat on the bedside table, along with a few magazines. There was also a picture album.

On the bed lay Applejack, sprawled on her back. Her hat hung from the bedpost. Her hair was not tied, and it spilled all over her pillow and bedspread. Her forehooves rested on her enormous bulging stomach.

“You cheated!” Applejack accused.

“I, I, er, what?” Fluttershy stammered.

Applejack chuckled and pointed a hoof at Ivy. “You skipped all the hard parts and got a foal in the mail.”

Fluttershy stood there silently.

“Aw nuts and gum sugarcube, I was only foolin’ around. I was kiddin’.” Applejack chuckled again and this time Fluttershy managed a weak laugh.

“Well, get on over here y’all. I’m lonesome. There’s room for all of us on this here bed.”

Fluttershy nudged Ivy forward.

“Hi hi…” Ivy said, staring at Applejack.

“It’s OK Ivy,” Fluttershy reassured, “go on little one.”

Ivy continued to stare.

“I think my belly is weirding her out a bit. Not surprisin’. I can’t stand to look at myself right now.” Applejack rubbed her stomach.

“Don’t say that!” Fluttershy scolded. “You are beautiful. ALL pregnant mares are beautiful.”

“Aw shucks.” Applejack drawled. She fanned herself with her hoof. “Why in tarnation must it be so goldurned hot in here?”

Ivy cautiously crept toward the bed, stopping at the edge. She slowly raised her body to a bipedal stance, peering over the edge at Applejack, steadying herself with her talons. Fluttershy hoisted her onto the bed with a hoof, causing Ivy to gasp in surprise. Ivy sat on the edge of the bed, studying the orange pony with an enormous belly, her grey eyes wide. Her crest rose slightly, her head cocked, and she slowly advanced forward, taking delicate steps so her claws would not snag on the blanket.

“Oh gosh she’s cute.” Applejack said in a low voice.

Ivy continued forward slowly, finally reaching Applejack’s side. She gently placed one set of talons on the orange mare’s ribs, steadying herself. She carefully rose into a standing position, her body wobbling as she tried to balance on the soft bed. She leaned forward, turned her head, and placed her ear against Applejack’s navel. Ivy’s mouth opened into an “O” of wonder, her eyes growing even wider. Her ears flickered. Applejack giggled. “That tickled somethin’ awful!” Applejack said, her hindhooves kicking a bit. Ivy draped herself over Applejack, her ear pressed against Applejack’s belly, listening, both sets of her talons, claws extended away from delicate flesh, traveled in small circles, feeling movement. Her tail swished and booped Applejack’s nose.

“What the hay?!” Applejack exclaimed.

Ivy gave a half hearted annoyed swipe at her own tail. She frowned at the annoying appendage.

Fluttershy eased herself up on the bed, trying not to disturb Applejack too much. “Her tail acts like it has a mind of its own,” Fluttershy commented, “she gets frustrated sometimes.”

“Winona has the same problem sometimes.” Applejack said. “A tail just does as it pleases in some animals. ‘Spose it can’t be helped.”

Ivy pressed her ear against Applejack’s orange belly again, the look of concentration returning. After a moment, she raised her head and whimpered a cry of alarm. She squirmed, her mouth moving, but no words were forthcoming. A cloud of frustration passed over her features.

“She’s wants to express herself so badly,” Fluttershy explained, “but she can’t. Spike said that the inside grows faster than the outside. Since I’ve learned this, I’ve been watching her and her facial expressions more. She’s smart but she doesn’t know how to make the words yet.”

Applejack looked down at Ivy, who had returned to listening. “There’s somethin’ in there and you can hear it, can’t you? I bet you can feel it too.” Applejack said, smiling. “There’s two little somethings in there. Makin’ me miserable. I swear Fluttershy, if Stumpy ever gives me that sweet endearin’ look o’ his e’er again, Imma gonna kill him and plant his remains in the north orchard.”

Fluttershy looked at Applejack in horror.

“I was only kiddin’ ‘Shy, take it easy,” Applejack soothed, “Mommy hormones are makin’ me crazy.”

Fluttershy calmed. She stretched her head forward and rested it on Applejack’s stomach, pressing her cheek into the orange pelt, the top of her head pressing against Ivy’s jaw.

“Doctor says the twins are going to have to come early. They’re too big and healthy. We grow ‘em big in this family. And they’re both little applebuckers, tryin’ to kick a harvest out of my kidneys and my liver. It hurts ‘Shy, it hurts.” Applejack groaned.

“I’m scared ‘Shy. They’re ‘spectin’ complications. I’m healthy as a horse, and so are these twins. They’re big. Doctor is worried I’m going to have trouble birthin’ ‘em out. They might have to cut me open. Somethin’ called a ‘C section’ he said.” Applejack shuddered. “I don’t want it. Nope.” Applejack paused. “What I do want, is you ‘Shy. You’ve helped all kinds of critters and ponies to give birth. You’re the best midwife I know.”

“I’m not a midwife,” Fluttershy said softly. “I’ve never been trained. Every time I’ve been there for a birth, it’s been an accident. I just happened to be there by chance. At least for ponies. I do know a lot about little forest critters though.”

“And you’ve never once lost a foal or a mother.” Applejack said in a firm voice.

“That is only by luck,” Fluttershy protested, “I don’t know what I’d do if I lost somepony. Or a foal.” Fluttershy began to sniffle a bit, and quieted when Ivy grasped one of her ears and gave a gentle tug.

“I want you there, ‘Shy. No excuses. Doctor’ll be there too. I need ya, ya gotta understand that.” Applejack stared at her friend, her eyes narrowing. “I can’t do this by my lonesome, and nopony else in our circle of friends has the sorts of skills you have.”

“I’ll be there, I promise.”

“I don’t just want ya there, I want ya there and doin’ what you do, ya understand? I’m scared.”

“I understand. I’ll help. I’ll be there.” Fluttershy closed her eyes and nodded, her cheek rubbing against soft orange shag.

“Ya promise?”

“Yes Applejack.”

“Pinkie promise?”

Fluttershy’s eyes opened. She looked Applejack in the eye. “I promise.”

“OK then,” Applejack said, sighing. “it ain’t easy for me to ask for help. That was real uncomfortable.”

“Ivy, get over here so I have somethin’ to squeeze.” Applejack gestured with her hoof. Ivy looked at her, her eyes glittering. She climbed over her mother, causing Fluttershy to giggle from the ticklish movement.

“It’s cider makin’ time!” Applejack hooted, taking Ivy into her forelegs. She squeezed. Ivy squealed in joy, hugs being just about the best thing in the whole world, and the orange pony could squeeze. It was warm and satisfying. Mama was entirely too gentle.

“Don’t squeeze too hard!” Fluttershy cried out in alarm.

“Oh, right. I heard about that.” Applejack eased off a bit.

“‘Shy?”

“Yes Applejack?”

“I’m gonna need your help rollin’ over and gettin’ up on my hooves.”

“Shouldn’t you stay in bed Applejack?”

“Well, yeah, Sugarcube, but that don’t stop nature from callin’ and I need to pee somethin’ awful. One of those little applebuckers keeps kickin’ me in my bladder. I’ve got some rotten little apples in me.”

Applejack moaned. “I hope I make it,” she said, “there’s been some close calls so far. Gettin’ up causes a lot of strain. An’ after I go, I’m going to go downstairs and eat us all out of house and home. If I can get down the stairs. Might be time to ask somepony to set up the guest room downstairs for me.” Applejack scowled. “Nuts and gum.” She muttered. “An’ I wanna a pickle somethin’ awful.”