• Published 7th Mar 2014
  • 17,792 Views, 821 Comments

Land of Friendship and Magic - Archmage Ansrit



Who would have thought that dressing up as John Egbert and attending conventions would get me into this mess.

  • ...
88
 821
 17,792

PreviousChapters Next
Intermission: Writ Keeping 2 and Searching for the Star in the North

About me. (Draft No. 3)

As an example of one of the uses I give Message: The movement of a pony disturbs the air, so, if I load the air with my 'presence', it is equivalent of me being there, and the displaced air would be like a touch; the Message I give the air reacts to the pony and his or her actions, and effectively creates a feedback Message. There is no expenditure of magical energy, only mental effort - granted, it can be tiring just the same, and at the time of this writing my influence (without assistance) is neither powerful nor developed enough to make conscious use of the tornadoes that ponies like Storm Shadow can make.

(Draft No. 7)

As I (am intended to) control all that is the air through Message, I am trying to see if I can access the Magic floating in it, just like ponies can touch upon Message with their own Magic; so far, all that I have obtained is problems - the lack of control over the magic makes reigning in the more powerful of applications of Breath difficult, because The Breeze tries to assist me and makes complete containment almost impossible. I can contain cyclones so that only the funnel is the dangerous bit, but trying to pull my punches so that the sideways wind doesn't bore a hole clean all of the way through rock is pretty much a dream at this point.

Ponies, with their magic, simply do not have that problem; if they only intend to hit the target, unless they really overpowered the technique, the use will only affect the targeted area, dissipating quickly. Thanks to the fan Storm Wand and its variations, however, I can now move much more air than a pony - although making precise use of it is difficult as said before; if Ascension is a real possibility, it might just provide me with what I'm missing.

The Alchemiter works based on psychic/space-time patterns, 'data', producing plenty of things that I can use easily; it has trouble working with magical things. I need the assistance of a pony to get magical objects to work (or wait until my own studies in magic have progressed far enough to do it myself). That will have a document of its own - if I have truly failed, then just follow The Breeze back to one of the Alchemiters, there is going to be a document pertaining to its use there - if you have not yet received the card with a computer, a tablet, or Plex-i-Glasses in them (or simply you do not know how to operate them).

Again, if you are a friend, then it is highly likely that you know why I would be so prepared in the eventuality of my demise. If the scenario has occurred, or if there isn't enough time, or simply if speaking of it is too difficult for me, then let me say it simply:

Equestria is in danger.

Before you roll your eyes and say 'when is it not', I meant to say an external danger, outside even Tellus. Right now, the world is still recovering from Discord's influence, and the dragons are getting rowdy... it's going to get worse in the future - some things I cannot explain for fear of interfering with the solution, so I am going to be discreet about it if possible.

And yet, the danger I am speaking of is different in nature.

Remember when I said the three components? Message is the component of thought, and thought and data can travel with much less restrictions than matter or magic.

Much, much less.

By sheer virtue of their existence, ponies have garnered the interest of... things beyond. Nothing new here, we all knew this already. If you have access to my 'Computers', or come from a world similar to my, you know a part of this.

The problem is that some of these spectators aren't content with staying that.

The good news! Thanks to some sources both local and... foreign, I have concluded that this world, and, in fact, all of this reality and those similar to it, have nothing to worry about from winners of the Path of the Conqueror of a Dead Session. Do not concern yourself with the meaning - all there is to say on them is that they obtained unconditional immortality and nigh-unlimited power to destroy what they want... but not here. They might still posses powers far surpassing those I expect to have, and some form of conditional immortality, but I doubt that they would risk themselves like so - Discord should be enough to match them in power, even with their assistants, but he is definitely going to be more devious and refined in battle.

And once you take Discord's mastery of Message and Magic into account? I wouldn't bet against him.

As such, none of them will expose themselves like that. The source of our powers falls outside of the purview of this place's 'regulators', so they will be way too vulnerable. Elements of Harmony For The Triumph!

The bad news is that anyone else won't have to face that sort of risk. The risks for the rewards aren't going to be so disproportionate.

Nightmares, in particular. My 'dream-self' is a dream with physicality, and they want that - badly. They can, if they work together, just about make an astral projetion of another dreaming being, or data beings, too... but they won't last; like a newly-minted Bogeymane, they have no hold on this world save a handful of memories.

Thus, they are trying to kill me with these phantasmagorical things so that they can overtake my hold - but they need to be the kind of things that would fight me - irrespective of the reason, just that I lose consiousness/my life to something channeling Nightmare power.

It doesn't work like that, though, so all they are doing is wasting energy. Still, I don't think that letting the likes of 'Griefers' and 'Trolls' gallivanting about Equestria is a good idea no matter how temporarily, and doubly-so when the gryphons from the north-east country are getting... antsy.

Hopefully, I'll be able to refine some kind of psychic power by extrapolating from my current powers - that should help with magic casting as a human.

*****
(Middle of the Dock of Nowhere, West of where the Crystal Empire is supposed to be)

'Bluey' was checking his compass for the hundredth time that day, waiting until he had his fill of 'exploring' the blizzard that had made them stop and set up camp for the night. They were under a dome of magic, courtesy of the unicorn that insisted on travelling with the lithologist he had been recommended.

Then he appeared. Just there, but a few paces into the snowfall.

"Hello." The faceless bogeymane spoke, with that voice of mashed-together glass and tearing things. "You seem... stressed."

No kidding. The only way to be a hunderd-percent sure he was still there was because of his crazy-stupid height and his black suit with a red tie standing out.

"I don't fancy having to look over the rest of our sleeping partners all by myself, during a blizzard that doesn't let me see past our shelter." He replied, making sure to not react too visibly to Slender's (actually quite decent) attempt at walking as if he had a real skeleton.

"Hehehe, then I have good news!" The sounds were less violent, so Blue knew he was speaking jovially. "There used to be some creatures of frost near our little party... the fear of predators has a great taste."

The cheeks bulged slightly, like he had an actual smile underneat that blank skin.

"You are in a good mood for somepony who spent three whole nights grumbling about stopping." Blueblood gently placed his compass inside on of the many pockest of his belt, thanking the thick cloth for the thousandth time. "Speaking of that, I never had the chance to ask you: How can you stay out during the day?"

"Oh, I am far too strong and real for simple sunlight." Slender's smile started doing... something. A thin, black line was revealed, like drawing his smile onto his 'face'. "Most of my kin are content with simpler hauntings, jump-scares, things of that nature."

He started leaning forward, and Blueblood stood his ground even as the smile widened, revealing sharp teeth of the blackest void and a thick, forked tongue.

"Filling, I admit, and quite delicious." He grinned, his jaw closing in such a way that Blueblood saw only a black wedge sharp as a cutout on a white face otherwise blurred to indistinction by the swirling snow.

The thick coat stopped the chill before it made it to his head, and Blueblood swore to send something nice to Rarity once everything was over. He thanked the clothes once more.

"I, however, go for something a little... stockier." He said, and he moved. He was gone, but Blueblood could feel him standing just beside. Slendermane aligned his head next to Blueblood's, whispering with the sounds of rustling leaves and silky curtains. "Respect is far superior, and the fear of predators is exquisite."

"You stalk criminals." Blueblood stated, with a calm he didn't know where he was drawing from.

"So, so many ponies and bogeymanes think of power as an end, or as something big and flashy - long lists of spells, large amounts of cash, military might, raw physical strength..." Slendermane chuckled as he walked away and turned back to face Blueblood. "I just need to be there, when I need to be. A glimpse, that odd sense that I do not 'belong' in the picture they see, but gone if they stop to look more closely... minotaur and gryphon smugglers and robbers stand out, and all I need to do is appear at just the right spot."

Two black tendrils stretched to the air.

"My stories have been spread far and wide, and part of it is that I can be out in the sunlight..." That black wedge of a smile was back. "The showmare has heard quite a few of them, I'd wager."

"Well, it's almost time for Beloved and Dagger to start their shifts; I'd better get my rest - don't want the navigator to be to tired to tell north from south, after all." Blueblood changed the subject - he had heard a few himself, and he had dismissed a few as 'convenient accidents'.

Convenient, maybe. Accidents... not so much.

Author's Note:

Slendermane and Slendermare are like Nurarihyon, but with tentacles. His best powers are 'to be there', 'to be noticed', 'to not be noticed' or 'not be there', and he rarely needs anything else.

It makes far too much sense.

PreviousChapters Next