• Published 7th Mar 2014
  • 17,792 Views, 821 Comments

Land of Friendship and Magic - Archmage Ansrit



Who would have thought that dressing up as John Egbert and attending conventions would get me into this mess.

  • ...
88
 821
 17,792

PreviousChapters Next
Zero Gravity

One Month Later

“Hmm, no that won’t do,” Kat muttered to herself as she scratched out her previous writing on the parchment in front of her. She sighed, leaning back against the tree she was sitting in. “Why does this have to be so difficult?”

“What is difficult?” Dash asked, landing on the same branch Kat was, looking down at the reversed mare. “You’ve been at it for a while, Kat.”

Kat looked down at Rainbow. “Oh, hey Dash. I’m working on a little surprise for Typhon, but I just can’t think of anything special to do.” She looked back at her parchment, chewing on the feather of her quill. “I thought that maybe the fresh air could help my thinking, but so far no luck.”

“I’ve talked to the guy - he’d probably say something about anything you do being special or somesuch.” Dash rolled her eyes, but smirked. “Rarity has special, ‘behind the scenes’ stock, you know? Or you could take him clubbing; Vinyl’s been working in secret doing something music-related, and her latest sets are awesome.”

Kat shuddered. “Nope! No clubs, never again. Not after what happened last time.”

“If it’s embarrassing, let me tell you that that duplicate of his has done some weird things without being drunk.” Dash’s widened her smirk. “I’ve seen some of the colts go crazy… but, if you are still not convinced, you could try a fancy dinner or somesuch.”

“Yeah, I thought of that, but it just doesn’t seem special enough. Typhon is the first boyfriend I’ve had since Earth. Which was almost thirteen hundred years ago. I want it to mean something.” Kat glanced down at Rainbow Dash. “And the club thing is not out embarrassment. It’s out of fear of nearly being killed. There are somethings out there that put the fear of dieu in ya.”

“I get it.” Dash shrugged her wings. “You know, I heard that he likes music, but he’s been too worried or sad, and Octavia is also working something secret… maybe they are in cahoots? I dunno, but you could try going to a fancy concert.”

“A concert?” Kat thought aloud, rubbing her chin. She let out a gasp with a smile. “A concert! That’s it! Thanks Rainbow, I know exactly what to do. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some music mares to visit.” Kat floated back to the ground and ran off.

*****
(Casa de Scarlet)

“Whew!” Vinyl slumped against the couch inelegantly, as opposed to her friend’s gingerly approach to resting.

“Made the thing grow a full inch!” Vinyl laughed, making her friend nod. “Not sure if I’m helping that much, but the cloud’s holding together.”

In the space above the table, there was a small sapling on a cloud. Cloud hydroponics weren’t new, but anything that would help them grow strong and/or quickly was a great help.

BonBon made the formula (with help from several references), Carrot helped with the sapling, and now they were trying to tie it all together simultaneously, instead of just stacking things one over the other as usual.

There was a loud knocking at their front door. “Uh, hello? Do Vinyl Scratch and Octavia Melody live here?” a voice shouted from outside.

Vinyl lowered her glasses onto her face, then opened the door from the couch.

“Come on in! Mi casa es tu casa.” She said, only to receive a bowtie to the head from a tired Octavia. “I mean, we’re here.”

“Oh thank you,” Kat said as she walked in. “Ooooh, so you’re Vinyl Scratch. I’ve noticed you before in other worlds, but I never bothered to know what your name was. Didn’t even know you were famous.”

“Hay yeah!” Vinyl whooped, pumping a hoof into the air. “I’m also crazy popular with humans, and my human counterpart from another universe helped save the world.”

Vinyl grinned widely, completely ignoring the balled-up napkin Octavia threw at her head.

“You want an autograph or something?” She asked, still grinning like a fool.

Kat shook her head. “Sorry, techno isn’t my thing. My name is Kat. I was wondering if you could help me out with something.”

“Don’t let the sheer awesome fool ya; my songlist is long.” Vinyl bobbed her head to some inaudible beat. “And sure! What’s on your mind?”

Kat was about to say something, but she just couldn’t ignore the elephant in the room anymore. “First… okay, seriously. Why is there tree growing out of that cloud? I’ve seen flowers, but a tree?! Kind of putain magic is that?!”

“Neat huh? Finest cloud hydroponics outside of Las Pegasus with the finest tree-magic from our resident mad-botanist, all wrapped together with our very own music to make everything simultaneous.” Vinyl leant back on the couch, crossing her legs like she had seen Lyra and Typhon do.

It was uncomfortable, especially on her… others, but dang did it look good.

“Never been touched by a unicorn spell, well, not directly, anyways. Proof-of-concept stuff right there.” She said, trying to hide her grimace - easy thanks to her glasses, but she tried to discreetly return to a more natural position. “What’s on your mind?”

Her hoof clipped the table, producing a loud banging noise like she had hit it with a rock.

“Oops… sorry about that, Tavi.” She gave her friend a nervous chuckle - that was her favorite table, and there would be hell to pay if she managed to damage it.

Kat’s eyebrow raised slightly at the sound her hoof made. “That sounded like a rock. I don’t mean to be rude or pry, but is that a false limb?”

“Nothing false about it!” She grinned as she held it into the air, turning her hoof. “Golem replacement - faster and easier than other stuff, and lets me win the inevitable bar brawls that come in my line of work. Plus, I can put stuff inside of it.”

Octavia hid her face behind a hoof, sighing at the antics of her flatmate.

“Installed by the original developer, if you can believe it.” Vinyl threw herself back, laying belly-up on the couch.

“Interesting, but back to why I am here. Well, I was hoping I could ask you to help me do something special for my boyfriend. He’s done a lot to help me lately so I wanted to do something really special for him.”

“Wait, isn’t that Typhon?” Vinyl propped herself up, making her glasses become skewed.

“That’s him!” Kat said with a smile.

“Count me in!” Vinyl cheerfully jumped off the couch; Octavia smiled tenderly. “I owe the guy a lot, too. What’s on your mind?”

“Well…” Kat blushed a little. “I wanted to sing to him. I’ve been told I’ve got a good singing voice, so I thought I’d sing him a song or two about what he means to me. I know it sounds a little stupid, but it’s better than nothing, right?”

“You kidding? See this lovely-shaped haunch?” Vinyl said, turning to show Kat precisely that. “There’s a music note on it. I don’t know how much importance you humans give or not give to music, but here? It’s a pretty big deal - ponies burst into song every couple of days! Of course we’ll help you!”

Octavia nodded demurely.

Kat nodded graciously. “Thank you. It means a lot. Now then, let’s get to work!”

*****
(Ponyville park)

Typhon cantered to a spot next to Rainbow Dash, who he was sure knew something, but wasn’t talking. He shrugged, internally, since being wingless didn’t lend him the flexibility to do so while walking.

He could correct that, but being a unicorn was less troublesome, and allowed him to be more physically-affective without having to consciously remind himself of so.

He was aware that his first trip through the Void had messed up his mind, and Kat didn’t deserve to deal with that.

Prospit was sunning on a roof, but attentive regardless.

Vinyl was placing the finishing touches on her “rig”, similar to the one she used during Rarity’s improvised fashion show. The crowd wasn’t huge or anything, so she didn’t need the… larger sets of equipment.

She was setting up a microphone with Octavia’s help.

Typhon looked at his invitation again. According to it, the pair were preparing a surprise performance... He looked around and saw the girls gathering with Rainbow Dash to his side.

“Boss.” Kenner whispered from behind. “I’m still up for our surprise for Kat... are we sure she won’t freak out?”

“We may not be sure, but who knows? Maybe she’ll be open-minded about it.” He replied. “Do make sure you have the clothing ready.”

“Right away, boss.” The white stallion nodded and slipped through the crowd like water through rocks.

“So many duplicates over the centuries, everything starts blurring together.” He muttered, frowning slightly. “If it weren’t for the Void and all those trips to my own mind, I’d be either crazier, or develop memory problems.”

He looked to the stage in time to see Octavia adjusting the mic to the right height - not that he needed his eyes, or even used them that often outside of using his devices, but it was respectful.

Octavia tapped the microphone to test it, causing everypony to turn at her. Maybe she was going to do an introductory speech? She could get long-winded when speaking…

She bowed to the audience and stepped aside, letting a very peculiar golden mare take the stage.

“Hello everypony,” Kat said into the microphone. “I’d like to dedicate this concert to a very special pony here tonight. He’s been by my side for some time now, the shoulder to which I could finally let my pain fall away. Typhon, this is for you.”

Typhon’s eyes widened, and his heart started beating faster, warmth filling him.

She put this up for him? Whoa…

Kat cleared her throat and, as Lyra and Octavia began playing the music, she began to sing a beautiful song. As she sang, Kat danced and bobbed her head to the tune, smiling as she let her heart out. Though, the whole time, her eyes focused right on the object of her love: Typhon, himself.

He closed his eyes in enjoyment, feeling the beats and the soundwaves and every little bit of emotion in them. It soothed him deep within, and that made the wind itself soothing in return; everypony could feel it, the surrounding air turning pleasant like a Spring breeze…

It was, indeed, the way he loved things and people.

As the song finished, Kat looked out, smiling as the crowd applauded her in her song, a few tears of joy from some. “Thank you! But we’re not done yet. How about something a little more danceable, eh? Vinyl, crank the tunes, my friend!”

The song, were it played to a human audience, might have been considered slightly raunchy, but for a society so accepting of their nature as that of Equestrians, it was merely very forward. Of course, ladies like Rarity or North Star still cringed at the ‘uncouth’ language, but could appreciate the sentiment.

There were some rather good-looking ponies around them, after all.

Ponies moved and bounced to the beat, the couples in particular bumping on each other.

Kat danced as she sang as well, giving Typhon a sultry wink as she ended the song.

“Alright, everypony! That sure was fun! But, before we start our final song, I have a few things to say.” Kat looked out to the crowd, right at Typhon, and spoke from the heart. “When I came to this world, I was expecting just another typical meet n’ greet with a fellow Displaced. Share some stories, maybe some laughs, maybe even learn a thing or two about the Multiverse at large. But what I didn’t expect to find… was love. And that’s exactly what I found. After over thirteen hundred years, I’ve found someone I can truly love. Someone who I know will be there for me, who will care for me, and I know will never hurt me. Typhon, my true love, thank you. Thank you for being with me. Could… could you please come on stage?” she asked, wiping away a happy tear.

Typhon smirked and dissolved into the wind, causing it to dance around the mare for a moment before he reformed at her side.

“I have you to thank, as well.” He said. “I have found many friends along these years, both from this world and not, but I couldn’t find another one to share myself like this with. I could feel their companionship, and their love… but it was not the same. There’s something deeper, a pull, that just makes it so easy to be with you, and around you.”

He leaned on her slightly, letting his body brush against hers. Closing his eyes and just drinking in her presence, he continued.

“I will always be there. I want you to know that you can always find me in the wind, and in words. Whenever you feel the breeze brushing against you, and enjoy it, making you feel alive, that’s me, loving you and loving being around you.”

Kat stared at Typhon, too stunned from his words. Then, she grabbed his neck and pulled him to a deep, passionate kiss right on stage. The audience enjoyed it almost as much as the two lovers did. She broke from him after a while, panting slightly.

“Typhon, I love you. Oh god, how I love you. So, will you do this poor old girl a favor?” She floated another microphone over to him. “Sing with me, big boy.”

“But of course.” He took the microphone, then did something a little unexpected.

He touched his horn to her forehead, leaving a trail of static-like energy run through her body from head to tail. He could feel her, making aligning himself to her intentions nearly instinctual. He breathed like she breathed, he moved in her direction.

Vinyl didn’t let her grin fade as she put the needle to the record. She applied the lights through a well-practiced spell, and kept ready to apply the proper effects. As the two began singing they floated off of the stage, flying above the crowd and performing an amazing aerial acrobatic display, staring into each other’s eyes the whole time as they danced.

The turning of a dial and their voices echoed, or a repeated word became another instrument in the melody.

As the song progressed they held and released hooves freely, floating with a dream-like freedom that few had ever experienced even among the pegasi in the crowd.

As the song came to its end, they slowly touched down on the stage, sharing another kiss as the crowd applauded the performances, both of voice and air.

Kat smiled at Typhon. “Did you like your surprise? I just felt I needed to do something special because of all you’ve done for me.”

“Like it? I loved it.” He nudged her with his nose. “Anything you do is special, and never let anyone else tell you otherwise... and my own surprise might seem a little less heartfelt after all this.”

Kat giggled while blushing. “A surprise for me? You really are better than my exes. None of them ever did anything special for me.”

“Well, while I don’t think much of the passing of time, I’m aware of the… nuances of its use as a frame of reference.” He said, coughing into a hoof. “I like to show little things each day, making sure you know I’m thinking of you... but there are times with more significance than others. It’s been a month on this end.”

Kat blinked. “Oh, so that’s why it felt weird. I’ve been gone for a year.” She leaned closer whispering in his ear. “A whole year without our little… ‘fun’, too.”

“Have I got something for you then.” He chuckled conspiratorially. “If it were up to me, you wouldn’t have to go a day without knowing how much I…appreciate your company.”

“You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention,” Kat gave him a sultry smile. She turned out to the audience. “Thanks for coming out everypony. I’m glad I was able to entertain you! Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got plans with my hunk.” She nuzzled Typhon lovingly.

“I hope you remember what I can do with ink.” He teasingly hinted as he took her in a side hug and floated down from the stage. “And remember the only ponies that call me ‘boss’.”

The gears in Kat’s head began to turn as she thought over what he was planning, her face flushing deep red when she figured it out. She started to stutter a little, before grabbing his hoof. “Lezgo!”

“Somepony is eager!” He laughed all the way home, getting weirded-out glances from whoever they managed to pass.

Opening the door to their little home greeted them with a peculiar sight. Kenner and Questant, wearing something that looked right out of Rarity’s ‘behind-the-scenes’ special catalog.

Kat’s face reddened even more as her breath caught. She kissed Typhon hard on the cheek. “Let’s have some fun.”

Author's Note:

The second song was taken down because the account was deleted, but I've put another link.

PreviousChapters Next