• Published 7th Mar 2014
  • 17,792 Views, 821 Comments

Land of Friendship and Magic - Archmage Ansrit



Who would have thought that dressing up as John Egbert and attending conventions would get me into this mess.

  • ...
88
 821
 17,792

PreviousChapters Next
Remembrance

(First Class car, private section, train to Canterlot, dinnertime)

Three horns glowed, blue, yellow, and white, while a violet claw held a strip of cloth that burned with green fire.

Several layers and styles of privacy wards latter, yellow and white lights washed over the occupants of the room.

"Your highness; it's an honor." Prosperity said, bowing to the figure that had shone white.

A tall, thin changeling queen with white where Chrysalis had green. Her mane was similar to Fluttershy's, though her wings were rounded like those of a dragonfly, and there were no holes on her body.

Said changeling queen slapped her forehead, although that made her look like she would fall over at any second.

"Must you do that every time?" She asked. "You'd think age would take away the habit of making jabs at everypony."

"Sorry, Flitter, you know what Typhon says - the desire to be an adult is for children, it has no place in the life of an adult." Prosperity said, lifting the lightly-built changeling with ease, and giving her a soft hug. She was, after all, only a little under a foot below Typhon himself (unless one counted her spines).

"I'm glad to see you too." Flitter smiled, returning the embrace. "Even if it's as a duplicate."

"A duplicate?" Another changeling mare, yellow instead, gasped.

"My, that is quite the surprise." Fancy Pants said.

"I didn't expect to run into any of you on the way, or else I might have come in person." Prosperity said, gently placing the frail-looking changeling back on the floor. She turned to the yellow changeling, who also had butterfly wings and lacked holes. "I got a message from your sister three days ago, asking me..."

She fell silent, but started to grin.

"To...?"

Prosperity's grin widened.

"Oh, nothing big, just when the next fashion show was going to be and if you were going to be in it." She said, making the other mare gasp.

"Don't be so surprised." Prosperity said, giving the undisguised Fleur a hug. "She's family."

"I couldn't be there for the funeral." She sniffled. "And I couldn't see my little sister get the crown..."

"Shh..." Fancy calmly stroked her back. "Don't cry, dear Silk."

"I can't wait to see you again, for real, I mean." Flitter said. "We all saw the lights, and..."

"Not you, too." Prosperity whispered. "You're going to make me cry."

"I am aware..." Fancy said, levitating some of the bottles of wine they had ordered for dinner. "... that tradition says 'before the funeral', but I say we honor the memory by holding a wake. I never had the pleasure to meet her; the most I had were Silk's stories... I would love to hear more."

The two whites chuckled darkly.

"Phantasma was very stern." Prosperity said, wiping a tear away.

"... But she hated seeing her friends sad." Flitter added, smiling sadly as the one pony of the group filled four tall glasses. "We met the same day we met Typhon."

*****

Way South of Equestria. A millennium and a half into the past.

Phantasma's mother had been causing trouble. She was getting much too paranoid even for someling in her position, and Phantasma decided to lead patrols as a way to both get away from her and her delusions, and keep her from going crazy.

Well, Prospit's right - crazier. Even if it wasn't nice to say.

She didn't live for much longer, you know - picked a fight with an adult Scorpio, alone, after having wandered into the Desert of Glass Sand thinking that one of ours had infiltrated hers to assassinate her.

I was doing patrols of my own, when, in the middle of the forest that divided our hives, there was a huge commotion.

"Come on!" Typhon yelled. "Your soldiers crashed into me!"

He then burst out of the treeline, wearing what he called his 'ninja gear'. On his hand, he held a large, yellow fan on a sword's hilt - sure, it had an edge and was pointed, but it was not meant to strike like that - the Storm Wand. He was wearing a sort of armored sleeve, with a cloud-like shoulder, a snake's head covering his hand that had a grey glove coming out of it, with scales all over the arm proper - the Storm Snake's Fanged Reach. With the two of them, his wind abilities were strengthened, and they only got stronger as he 'upgraded' them.

Hmm? Well, the full power was used when we went Scorpio-hunting - they hold Special Stardust in their bodies, and are the least intelligent of the Star Beasts; roughly, on par with a normal scorpion of Typhon's homeworld. He swung and swung, blasting 'with the force of a school bus going sixty miles an hour' - of course, by then we had tricks of our own, which was the only reason we did something like that in the first place (not to mention avoiding the adult ones).

Well, of course he had better techniques than just swinging or letting the Wand spin like a propeller; they had the unfortunate side-effect of blowing the Special Stardust all over the place, however. Examples? Sure. There is one where he makes a tornado, by itself capable of grinding through stone, but then he makes another, inside and opposite to the first and compressed by it, focusing all of its power in an area about the size of a pencil meant for humans. Oh- it's about... this much.

Yes. He said 'if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing', and 'there is no kill like overkill, when it won't be inconvenient'. Lessons five and six.

He wasn't that good by that time, and it didn't help him that Phantasma was sharp. She figured out that trying magic wasn't going to get her anywhere, not the way it was used normally, but straight blasts could hit him some of the time.

Her best magics were centered on illusions and manipulating perception, which didn't work against Typhon's sensing ability or his resistance... that... kind of angered her, since she had been trying to get him lost in the forest to capture him.

Our little group... well, we didn't quite stay at the sidelines, and actually got ready for anything, but we didn't get involved, either.

"Look!" He said, twisting out of the way of a charging 'ling. "Can't we be just friends?"

That... surprised me; nopony- I mean, nobody had offered that to us after seeing us in our real forms. Then he flipped a changeling and threw him away - surprising me because he had been invisible for me until Typhon grabbed him.

It ended with Typhon getting Phantasma into a headlock, after fanning the Wand and sending changelings flying over and over until they were too winded to attack again. I didn't know better, so I tried magic.

"Come on!" He yelled, making Phantasma wince. "I just got done with them!"

"Not so loud." Phantasma grumbled.

"Well, excuuuuse me, princess!" He huffed. Then laughed quietly. Then got serious again. "I was just crossing the valley of neither here nor there taking it slow for a change and then I'm being hunted by three dozen changelings!"

Yes, Phantasma wound up liking it, so she named it 'Valley of Neither Here nor There', and filled the air with so much illusion it's part of the natural state of the place. If you don't know your purpose for being there and hold onto it tightly, you will start thinking about irrelevant things, you'll get lost, and wander until you stumble out of it. The forest is worse, but easier to break out of if you know what you're doing.

Before Phantasma thought of that, I didn't think it was possible to get lost in a valley like that without being named 'Ryoga Hibiki'.

That's from something Typhon showed us.

*****

(Library. Present.)

"... and that is the plan!" Pinkie chirped.

"Sounds good." Dash nodded. "Now I just have to find her again."

Prosperity burped out a fireball, which turned into a scroll; she coughed as she reached for it.

"Oh, god... why did Comet Shine have to make that spell?" Prosperity coughed some more, unfurling it.

"Oh... so it's time for Flitter to act. And that was nice of him." She sighed.

"Listen, I'm off to have a drink in memory of an old friend, see you tomorrow." She pointed to Spike. "Remember, more gems in your diet, preferably the ones that have aluminum in them; they might sound like they should be like candy, but that's for the silica-based ones. Sleep well, and make a bed of gemstones often, then eat them before two months are up. And no hoarding like crazy, alright?"

Prosperity was glad that Celestia and Luna were doing their jobs so well - it kept away the Nightmares.

A glass of wine and a yearning heart, preferably well into the night; one of the oldest spells to summon Nightmares.

Nopony knew about it, because they couldn't get through to the World... Luna never knew what she had done that night, a thousand years past.

She made herself vulnerable.

A glass of wine, and a yearning heart, so full of ache and hurt.

Author's Note:

The 'good' changeling looks came from one of the covers from the comics (remember, it's the most access to them I have). In that cover, we see flipped versions of just about everypony - Chryssy is happy and cutesy with her little round glasses and hearts on her wings instead of holes (and Cadence-curls!), Applejack wears a black hat and bandanna (and we all know what black hats on a cowboy mean), and the princesses look like stereotypical goth-y supervillains (well, Cadence's disinterested look and partially-dyed-black mane make her lean more towards apathetic goth-y teenager, complete with four piercings on one ear).

PreviousChapters Next