• Published 7th Mar 2014
  • 17,792 Views, 821 Comments

Land of Friendship and Magic - Archmage Ansrit



Who would have thought that dressing up as John Egbert and attending conventions would get me into this mess.

  • ...
88
 821
 17,792

PreviousChapters Next
A fateful... sneeze?

(Everfree cave)

I appeared as quietly as I left.

Sadly, I forgot to take Void before leaving, so I had to endure this Reality's version of the Horroterrors for however long it took. I could see the Truth of them, and I don't see how could anyone lose their sanity over that.

They were just scaled-up, non-Euclidean versions of anything that can be found in a world. They had their own set of (admittedly, usually very alien) morals (and believe me, if they didn't, there wouldn't be ANY worlds), their own problems, and even their own bullies.

They tried to get me to do them favors... and, I hate to admit, some of them were actually reasonable - namely the ones that simply asked me to prevent the world-bubble from collapsing into itself/being 'blown up'. The problem being that their alien viewpoints made their ideas of payment... strange. They said they would pay me, but most told me were things like they were 'working on it' and that 'the wait will be worth it'.

Hmm? 'Quest Rewards Enabled'? 'Quest: The missing princess - Status: Complete'...

Oh great! I was getting grist for doing stuff, not just battling things! That was going to be useful, since I didn't really have the reserves an endgame player such as a god-tier should have. Although now I felt kinda bad that I kept ignoring those guys, even if they are interdimensional horrors...

Still, if the rumbling in the air was any indication, there were still quite a few hours left in my draconic friend's nap. Her leucism meant that she was white with purple eyes and claws, making her stand out a lot. It was nothing short of a miracle that she lasted all those years on her own before we found her...

And now... it seemed like she took to Clover's "Knowledge is a treasure" thing seriously. Well, I knew that, because she kept in contact for several centuries, but it seemed like she was understating her growth.

I should prepare a shrink spell; at her current size, she'll take a whole bottle of Space (refined, not drinkable) and a ten feet by ten feet sheet of paper even with my smallest shorthand.

*****

(WQ, Ponyville)

The mare, now noticeably less bruised, made her way to a secluded booth in a restaurant.

Her horn shimmered, and a blue sphere appeared for a second before fading from view.

She opened a book, which had runes and diagrams inside.

"WQ-two here, I got- what? Of course I'm a mare!" She hissed, but with the book, the only clue of her displeasure was hidden from view. "Why are you asking 'why'? You are me, we have the same logic! Ugh, because having a male with the initials of WQ would be weird, that's why! And what about you? You are a disgusting shade of green! We don't like green that much, remember?"

She placed her order, face smiling cordially as if nothing was ever wrong, and continued 'reading' her book.

"Oh, that makes sense... continuing with my report, though: I've found Shining Armor, disguised as 'Silver Shine'. No, his disguise is actually pretty good - it seems like he used a hair-growth spell or potion, then used something a little more sophisticated than dyes, probably used some odor neutralizer, gave himself a mud bath close to here, a regular shower, rolled on the park's grass, allowed his little surfer accent to show more strongly, and went window shopping through the market, so he smells faintly of cologne samples and fresh produce on top of his stronger 'local' smell; the only things that gave him away were behavior things - still walks like a guard, uses the occasional high-society word or term, and his reactions at seeing the pictures. Yes, I matched Silver's shape to Armor's anyways, I was just saying that his disguise would be very hard to discover for others."

She smiled politely as she was served. Her vichyssoise smelled absolutely delicious.

"And something new. Us 'clones' can survive getting hit even when our reserves are depleted, even get out of it without suspiciously-serious injuries; I'd go as far as saying that we can take almost as much as a normal flesh-and-blood pony would without their magic, but we will bruise like a soft summer peach. Hurt a lot, however, and to top it all off, it was in uncomfortable spots. I'm sure the original is not looking forward to the unification, or me dispelling... although I got a free milkshake out of it. As such, all clones coming from this variant are to keep enough magic in reserve at all times; Breath and the other Essences are for absolute emergencies only. I couldn't fulfill objectives two and five, but WK-three made successful contact with Whisper Wind's daughter and should be talking with her right about now; possibilities of recruitment for the Pillars are high - which is good; her thing with bubbles is freaking awesome. Heck, maybe we could get Shining Armor to cooperate; I bet that he can do that shield-spear thing at the very least."

The soup really was absolutely delicious.

"And Rarity has agreed to make the dress, and able to work with only measurements, and not weirded out by the request."

She then got another milkshake.

*****

(Typhon, distant past)

It was a day when I was as my waking self in Cloudsdale when it happened.

I finally met Whistler's dad, Storm Shadow.

Yes, like the ninja, and yes again, he's pretty much one. Like lightning - by the time you hear him coming, it's already too late.

Military, because of course he's in the guard, he's the link to Hurricane!

I was really glad that I had gotten down the sensing ability by the time he came back from monster watch duty - thinking him a surprise guest, I snuck around the house, avoiding him. I asked The Breeze, as well as sent some of my 'energy' (or whatever it was that helped me control the air) and I could tell were ponies were; in open air with breezes of its own the range of some meters only prevented someone from sneaking behind my back, but the halls? With their quieter air and all those doors? I managed to hide in a closet which, being barred for him under pain of a really ticked Meadowlark, meant that he would never find me.

Turns out that that really impressed him.

Oh, and that I was strong enough to do all of the woodcutting on my own really helped (there are like three chimneys, four ovens and three stoves in the cloud mansion). And that his 'little baby girl' could now put a full-grown guard stallion in traction if she really wanted to meant that he all but kissed me.

As it turns out, he's really protective of family, and those that would protect family are alright in his book. Again, having superpowers, and granting them to his little baby girl, helped.

It would seem that that was a factor on getting him on our side in my plan to get a more suitable... well, suitor for Wind Whistler. He would usually approve of somepony like Storm Chaser, but he saw the fit that Whistler had thrown after coming back from meeting him.

I had no magic, and, in fact, was always surrounded by a distortion that more or less meant that I was a world of my own. The differences in the rules, or so the Four explained, were not that large per se, but the changes cascaded and meant that, among other things, I was able to 'dodge' the effects of magic if so I wished. Useful. It appeared that my connection to The Breeze was something not quite magic; I would dare call it something more... fundamental, like it was just a fact of reality itself.

And I had chosen the alias 'Typhon'; ain't that a neat coincidence? Now all that was left was to be able to make monsters at will. Wait, in the game 'Lost Magic' it is possible for a magician to make monsters. Hmm... not exactly something I'd like to do, but now it was going to bug me for days.

I was able to teach how to connect with The Breeze, though. It could be done through pegasus magics by regular pegasi, as it had been demonstrated. Storm Shadow was proud that Wind Whistler got it down so quickly.

I had to explain the levels thing, though.

"As a reward for performing difficult tasks, you are granted an increase of ability, so that one would seek greater challenges."

He blanched once he realized that Meadowlark had gotten a few after helping us train... and training herself.

If I was interpreting the barely-there hints correctly, he might have angered her when they met, and she kicked him in the unmentionables. The way his hind legs tensed was a big tip-off.

Her father was a guard, too; who would have guessed? (Oh God, the sarcasm, it burns).

As such, I had the honor of being the first human to watch a pony editing a door out of existence in real time. I had to tell him and point out the door I hid behind just to get him to acknowledge it was there. He then made me swear that I would bear witness that he never came within ten feet of it.

My own training was going along great! I was developing different forms of my Aspect... although that made me wonder. I was both taking control of my Aspect, and allowing it to act around/through me; I was using it to my exclusive benefit and helping others with it.

I was being both active and passive...

I had to hide while Starwirl and Clover did their studies, though.

*****

(Starswirl)

The old unicorn could not help but smile and trot with a touch more pep in his step than ever before. His bells jingled happily, and the runes engraved onto them almost seemed to spark.

Finally, vindication! And he still lived! Ha! Those goats from the castle would be eating their words by the time he finished the day!

Now, Clover was with the two young ponies, talking to them.

That this 'Windstorm' was able to teach his ability to 'Wind Whistler', and that...

He shook his head, the jingle of his bells centering his mind. The overflow of thoughts nearly made him walk into a decorative armor... but it was just so much to take in! It meant that is was actual, honest-to-goodness magic! He knew he was right! But now he had proof!

All birds had certain proportions, a wingspan for their weight. Pegasus ponies would not be able to fly if the rules were the same.

And their ability to manipulate the weather like so? There was something there; now he had living, breathing proof that he was right.

The door to the lab was opened by an intense gust of wind, and a gray colt was propelled out of it. Before the colt managed to hit the wall and, indeed, before the unicorn managed to call upon his magic to stop him, the colt flared his wings and a second gust of wind slowed him down... no that was not the right thing to say; it was more like a cushion of air, which deflated upon impact to arrest his flight.

"Oh my goodness!" A filly cried out. "I assure you it was not my intention to provoke such a-"

"No! That was amazing!" The colt interrupted, laughing. "You've gotten very good with that! And you are so strong!"

It took a couple of moments for Starswirl's brain to start its functions once more, but he grinned after that.

"Young colt, It appears that there is much to discuss." He chuckled, making his bells jingle once more.

*****

(Typhon)

Regardless of the periodic trips to the castle, things continued as 'normal'. I didn't gain many levels, since it seemed that I was still getting the bottom tier of Underlings - generic knights, the occasional troll that just wanted to cause havoc...

Oh, well, there was one thing. Wind Whistler was interested in knowing what was considered romantic in the future, and... other things. I just gave her another pair of glasses - modified for ponies obviously - and let her explore the Net on her own. I had already explained everything to her, and, well, pony society was much, much... actually, I couldn't even describe it. Liberal? The views were way different.

And, again, a good deal of those that made it through Discord's reign were much more open-minded; those who found/were saved from some horrible fate by one of the many new things that were suddenly everywhere more than others.

I couldn't help but worry for whoever wound up being the subject of her affections, though, given the way she made trips to the Alchemiter for 'surprises'.

A couple of phantoms appeared, but we smashed them good in moments. It was such a horrifyingly one-sided event, that I won't release the identities of the invading phantoms as a sign of respect. I made ice-cream bars with the grist, and made myself a little cabin with the overflow. I was accumulating a lot of the stuff, actually, since I didn't have much to work with - the lack of importance of frogs in here meant that things alchemised from them merely had a frog theme... maybe if I started using things like Equestrian flags and the crowns of the princesses.

We were a happy little family, kicking flank and taking names.

Then, when a wolf was attempting to stalk me, I accidentally sneezed it into the forest. The wolf wasn't the problem... it was that princess Celestia was visiting the town whose gates took the young tree I tore off with my sneeze.

Author's Note:

Leucism is a condition where the skin pigments are reduced, resulting in a white animal, but not quite albino. It doesn't generally mess with eyes and such; leucistic pigeons still have normal-colored eyes and legs and some dark feathers, for example.

Vichyssoise is thick, creamy soup made from potatoes, leeks, onions, and usually chicken stock, although vegan variants exist.

If the name Caesar Zeppeli means anything to you, then you know that bubbles are freaking awesome and will totally wreck your **** for mocking them.

And for neat Shield-based tricks, go read Kekkaishi.

Typhon is also called the "Father of all monsters" in mythology.

PreviousChapters Next