• Published 7th Mar 2014
  • 17,792 Views, 821 Comments

Land of Friendship and Magic - Archmage Ansrit



Who would have thought that dressing up as John Egbert and attending conventions would get me into this mess.

  • ...
88
 821
 17,792

Chapters Next
Rebirth

Present Day

It might, just might, mind you, be because I was petrified while wounded and suffering from blood-loss, but I didn't mind how quiet the gardens were nearly every day. Knowing that all I had to do was 'sleep' or concentrate hard enough helped.

See, unlike many, many others, I only allowed Celestia to think I was stuck inside the statue.

There was way too much air around me for that, and she didn't get all of me.

Discord's little stint was mildly entertaining to see from this side, but the crazy weather made me feel awful. He offered to get me out, thinking that I would have some massive beef with the sisters, a huge bone to pick - no, a whole graveyard of bones to pick... but I assured him I could get out on my own.

He did oh so helpfully point out that he could 'get rid' of my health problem; my old wound was either moments from killing me, or centuries overdue, depending on your point of view on petrification-based stasis. I merely pointed him to the 'bed' I was lying on. He didn't get it, but I convinced him all the same.

It was... nice of Celestia to take the whole thing, pillars and all, after turning me to stone. Oh, she repaired my clothes and placed my ocarina in my left hand, my brush/sword in the right -without taking off any of my things-, crossing them over my heart so that it would look like I was simply sleeping peacefully; only then she had turned my body to stone, whispering something about showing me respect that way - now that I think about it, maybe she believed I was dead already.

It was perhaps the nicest thing Celestia ever did for me.

Funny how it works. I had blacked out just as I crawled over the blue slab of rock, but then I 'regained' consciousness as a statue!

Not that she needed have bothered.

I got perhaps a couple of visitors a year, not counting any of the Wind family. I played the wind and rustled their hair a little, particularly foals. There was a plaque with my 'name' on it - Typhon - and the date of my appearance and my defeat - or perhaps my 'death'. Celestia really disliked me, perhaps even hated me at times, and I didn't make it easier by sneezing tornadoes...

It got to the point that...

'Oh, Wind Whistler, I'm so sorry... I'm sorry...'

'The anniversary of your death is getting close, isn't it? I have always thought of that date as yours more than mine.'

*****

(Celestia)

The sun princess sighed tiredly as she walked through the cemetery. She missed many of the ponies whose names graced the stones, even though most of the ones closest to her had gotten a different funeral than a burial...

Starswirl, stern and smart Starswirl... he designed many spells that, despite being considered cantrips even in their time, laid the foundations to many modern spells and spell systems. He had never been one for crowds, and was now simply a character belonging to obscure history; most ponies only knew his name because of the play of the first Hearts Warming. His last work... ended him.

'He never quite understood friendship.'

He got a funeral of stars.

Farsight The Learned, ditzy yet diligent Farsight. He gave her hope of seeing her sister again, and she considered him a friend - even if he couldn't walk down a hall without tripping over himself.

Another who got turned into lights.

Wind Whistler...

'She shouldn't have died. Not then, not like that.'

She was just in the wrong place. Why would the founder of Las Pegasus be anywhere near Typhon? She and Windstorm had the best and most important pegasus training center in the region, where they learned all about the weather. She shouldn't have been near him. She shouldn't have gotten caught in the blast. For that, she had given her a funeral of stars.

And she... Celestia was ashamed to admit it, but she had fully intended to let Typhon take the blame - after all, it was not like he would have been able to defend his case. Nopony would know of her mistake; nopony would know she was capable of making mistakes, of poor judgement, of making bad choices.

But Windstorm had been there, too, only that she never knew until the funeral. That was the last time anypony saw him; wounded, and enraged that she dared blame Typhon, lie so blatantly, deny her mistakes. He left his foal in the care of Wind Whistler's remaining family, then disappeared.

Perhaps he died from his injuries, quietly, away from Celestia, either refusing treatment or knowing it would do little good. He surely joined his beloved in the next life.

Her version of the story had been the official one for many centuries.

Curiously, each year, without fail, Celestia would find flowers on the grave. Always the same. Just like Wind Whistler's birthday and the anniversary of her wedding. It was a reminder, though whenever it was more for her or the ones who left them was hard to say.

One of those dates was coming up... perhaps she should send some flowers, too.

*****

(Typhon)

Twilight came to visit me today.

I remembered the time when she was a little filly - she kept correcting other ponies, 'I'm not purple, I'm lavender'. The miniature unicorn was really adorable, although she had the awful tendency to agree with everything Celestia said, even if she was wrong... now that I think about it, there was one day they were supposed to train spells here in the garden, but Celestia arrived an hour late - she said she had a meeting that ran longer than anticipated - and said that she would try to send word ahead of her to avoid keeping her waiting.

I think that's the closest to a real apology I've ever heard from her. And with my air powers, I could hear a lot indeed. Not that I habitually eavesdropped or anything, so there might have been something I've missed, but I tended to listen to Celly when she was in the garden.

Whatever.

Twilight's friends and the trio of fillies that had released Discord were not far behind.

"Thank yah Twilight!" The little earth filly said, smiling wide. "We didn' see all of da statues 'cuz someponies decided ta fight in da middle of da trip!"

She glared at her fellow mini-ponies, the orange one raising her hooves defensively.

"Hey! That was Discord's weird magic!"

'He still needed something to work off of, you know.'

"What's this one? It's weird!" The white minicorn cantered over to me.

"That's Typhon the Sly." I discovered that I had an epithet, don't I feel special - wait, how in the blazes of Hell did I not know this in thousand plus years? "He was a fickle being, pretending to help ponies one moment only to cause storms the next."

'Wow, Celly must have disliked me more than I thought.'

"Not much is known of him, but his powers over wind and weather were legendary." And I was holding back the good stuff! I would have smiled, but stone, so yeah.

"I'll say!" Rainbow interjected, a fierce look in her eyes. "Every weather manager worth their salt has heard about him! He could control lightning! How awesome is that?"

'Well, I know quite a bit about the science of weather, so it is not unreasonable to think I could apply it so well. Thanks for the compliment, Dash.'

"It looks like he's sleeping, though." Fluttershy commented, the butter-yellow pegasus was looking at my face with a - what kind of look is that? Concern? Compassion?

"He looks sad." Pinkie commented, pouting. I bet she was upset she couldn't make a statue smile.

'Don't worry about me, I'll get better.' I don't know if they heard me without me moving the air, but I think their mood improved a little.

"I don't know the whole story, but it had to do with his defeat and the loss of a pony because of it." Damn straight, Wind Whistler didn't deserve that; she wanted a large herd and lots of foals. "Tomorrow is supposed to be the anniversary, according to this plate."

"Let's keep going, girls. We might be guests, but there is still much to see." Then she turned around and left to somewhere else in the gardens.

Tomorrow, Wind Whistler, tomorrow I'll fulfill my promise.

I still remember the days before I met you, and how you loved to hear more about my old world. You liked to call it the day I was reborn... well, it's time to do it once more.

*****

(About a millennium and a half ago from Typhon's perspective)

Today was a good day.

A cousin of my mother had overheard me talking about conventions that I wanted to go to, but never quite managed because most were in a whole 'nother city. When he heard about the 'Cons happening right there in his own town, he invited us to stay over! It made me feel kinda bad, since I don't know much about that branch of the family...

Still, I picked my outfits for three reasons. Fast to procure, cheap to do so, and easy to carry. And that one was blue was icing on the cake.

For the first day I was dressed as the God-Tiered Heir of Breath John Egbert, from Homestuck. Yellow tennis shoes, true blue pants, azure shirt with a cyan symbol, and a blue hood that resembled a windsock for being so long. I need glasses anyways so that's that. I also had a golden Prospitian dream-self outfit, which are basically pretty yellow pajamas with a crescent moon on them.

Heck, I even had props, like cardboard captchalogue cards, strife specibus cards, and I changed my usual wallet for a brown leather wallet.

There was a whole menagerie of cosplayers and people in disguise. There was one going as Solaire of Astora from Dark Souls, Dullahan from Golden Sun, Alice in the heart dress from Alice Madness Returns... and others that weren't a specific character, like a guy with a steampunk outfit and the like.

Hm? Oh, there was one dressed as Rainbow Dash! Man, that's bold.

I snapped pictures of any costumes I really liked with my tablet; I like collecting them and showing them off.

But there was another objective...

I bought lots of stuff! A beautifully-styled fake calligraphy brush, an ocarina pendant, a life-size Ocarina of Time replica... then I saw it.

The place had no line, and everyone else seemed to ignore it, so I - being so naturally curious - gave it a visit.

There was a ring... kind of of like an abstract bird with a tiny ruby-red stone, an onyx/obsidian (it was hard to tell) turtle shell pocket watch, a tiger pin with some white stone, and a pendant of a golden dragon (eastern type, whiskers and all) coiled around a blue jade(?) marble. A steal - one hundred and fifty bucks for all.

I attached the chain of the watch and... I felt weird. Heavy. I slipped the ring and placed the pin and then it was a little hard to breathe, but nowhere near as bad as how strange it felt to move; the air felt like it was molasses, thick and sticky.

I saw that Solaire guy strike the ground with a staff and disappear, and the guy in steampunk and Dullahan vanished too. My brain felt like mush, so I thought I might be imagining things, even though I had the sneaking suspicion that I wasn't.

I looked at the pendant, put it around my neck for some unfathomable reason... and saw how my hands slowly turned transparent and vanished into thin air.

*****

(Current era)

Today was the day. Everything was in place.

I knew something weird was up ever since I arrived wearing a black shirt, green jacket, dark denim pants and red shoes, instead of my blue or even yellow clothes. My suspicions were confirmed pretty much the first night, and now I am about to gamble my life on a legendary nap.

I drew the wind onto myself.

I woke up the magic of the guys... they were rather lazy, preferring to leave me to fend for myself or simply channel my powers through one of their aspects, but there were a few things that I quite simply couldn't do without them. They would help with this.

Air. It's presence, absence, everything in between.

I drank deeper from the vastness of the sky. I connected with that which wasn't encased in rock, and absorbed what floated through the air.

The stone cracked.

Immediately, I felt the pain from having had a sharp rock lodged in my chest.

Luckily, blood-loss kinda make everything black...

*****

(With Celestia)

Once more, there had been flowers on Wind Whistler's grave. They were not alone now.

Celestia was conversing with Luna about the flowers as she lowered her own.

"That is quite-" Whatever Luna was about to say was lost as a guard rushed over towards them.

"Your Highnesses! Something has happened! There is light coming from the statue garden!" He said as he bowed, quickly returning to an upright position. Both princesses nodded, then he turned around and led the way.

The source of the light, the four orbs atop each spire of Typhon's resting place, went largely unnoticed itself; the gardens had been vacated as soon as the animals scattered. There was something in the air, and even non-pegasi could feel it, even see it! Blue lines moving through the air!

Celestia and Luna remembered quite well what they meant.

They saw the lights, they saw circles rise up into the air as the blue lines gathered, creating powerful gales that threatened to tear leaves from trees and topple anything that was not safely attached to the ground.

The light coming from the garden intensified to the point anypony would be excused if they thought a star had been born, while smaller motes spread through the land.

In Cloudsdale and other cloud cities, the production of weather stopped for a moment as the strange lights appeared anywhere with a large open space - particularly in the cloud-making chambers. The ponies descended from the Wind family recognized the lights from the stories they had been told to guard.

In Ponyville, Twilight Sparkle gazed in wonder at the sheer magnitude of the phenomenon, managing to see miniature stars as far as her eyes could see.

In Canterlot, the princesses gaped at the display. Typhon's symbol, which he liked to show everywhere, was floating in the air as the winds converged upon it.

The light flared one last time before disappearing, taking the stars and winds with it. The princesses rushed to the place where Typhon had been placed only to find a pool of blood on the stone slab.

"Missed me?" A voice said from behind them.

The princesses turned around and saw him. Typhon, the human, clad in blue and floating in mid-air.

Author's Note:

I was bitten by the League of Humans Acting Villainous bug that's going around spreading like wildfire and more infectious than a cold. Doesn't help that I already had some ideas like this one just sitting around - I wanted a Homestuck reference without having to actually use one of the characters.

Feel free to contact me or anything so that we may engage in jolly cooperation.

Chapters Next