• Published 5th Mar 2014
  • 2,706 Views, 65 Comments

Celestia and Luna Have A Staring Contest - magicman123



Princess Celestia and Princess Luna challenge each other to a staring contest.

  • ...
5
 65
 2,706

Extended Edition

Princess Celestia and Princess Luna Have A Staring Contest: Extended Edition

By Magicman123

Inside of Celestia's room in the royal palace of Canterlot, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna sat across each other. Every few seconds they would pass a single sheet of paper back to each other after drawing either a circle or an x onto it. When Luna passed the piece of paper back to Celestia, the sun princess quickly scanned the paper again before groaning in frustration.

"How could you possibly win again?!", Celestia exclaimed. "You have to be cheating! There is no possible way that you could have won again!"

Luna smirked condescendingly at her sister. "Maybe, dear sister, it's just that you emit a foul stench at Tic-tac-toe."

"What?! How dare you!"

"Tsk tsk tsk, would you kindly remind me of how many points I have now."

Princess Celestia regrettably looked at the score sheet that sat between them.

"Ugh... Fifty-two....."

"And how many points have you claimed in this trial of wits, dear sister?"

The older sister snarled at her before replying in a voice that was close to a whisper, "Zero."

Luna brought a hoof up to her right ear and bent towards her sister before she said, "I'm sorry. I didn't catch that! What was your score again?"

Once again she softly said, "Zero."

Luna leaned in closer to her and said smugly, "Could you repeat that to me again?"

She could practically hear her sister grind her teeth together in frustration. She would remember this moment of victory for the rest of her life. Celestia sighed a breath of hot air and said, "Zero, nada, zilch', the number that comes before one!"

She leaned back and crossed her front hooves together with a pout on her face.

"There! Happy?"

"Very much so", Luna replied with a happy smile on her face.

Silenced filled the room as neither of the sisters spoke a word to each other. Both ponies just stared at one another competitively. A few more seconds passed by before Celestia finally broke the silence with a sigh.

"Wanna play again?"

"I apologize, I fear that your constant failure at bringing me a challenge has led me to being tired and bored of your attempts at victory."

Celestia frowned at her, one of her eyes twitched in annoyance.

"... How about Hide and Seek?"

"Tia. Aren't you a little afraid that your large posterior would give away your hiding spots?"

The princess of the Sun just shook a hoof at her in anger.

"Hmm... How about a game of Card Wars?", Luna asked excitedly.

"That game's so boring. It has way too many rules", Celestia said in reply.

"How dare you besmirch the name of that amazing game!", she shouted.

Celestia whispered to herself, "Amazing my flank."

"What was that?!", she asked with a hint of venom in her voice.

"Nothing", she quickly replied.

"You're just jealous cause I'm the cool one."

They continued staring at each other again. Thinking of more games and activities that they could possibly play together.

A moment had passed before they both smirked at each other competitively. They leaned towards each other, their muzzles just a couple centimeters away from each other before Celestia said, "You thinking what I'm thinking?"

"Oh I do believe I am dear sister", Luna replied.

"Staring contest!", they both said at the same time.

"Okay! What are the rules?", Luna asked.

"No use of magic and no touching of any kind. Especially around the eyes! Remember what happened last time?"

"Oh please, that hairbrush didn't even graze an eyelash!"

"Yeah, you didn't graze an eyelash. Cause you got me right in the eye!"

"Accidents happen, sister!"

"From all the way across the room?!"

"Well you should be more careful with hairbrushes then."

"What?! I wasn't doing anything with it! Plus that hairbrush was in my dresser the last I had checked!"

"Please sister, will you just let bygones be bygones and forget about that whole incident?"

"I was blind in my left eye for over a week!"

"Well was it really as bad as when you accidentally fractured my hind legs right after that, leaving me in a wheel chair for a month?"

"And whose fault was it?! If it wasn't for you throwing that hairbrush at me, I wouldn't have accidentally knocked you over then fallen on you!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flashback

A few hours after Luna and Celestia began their staring contest, Luna let out the tiniest smile on the corners of her lips.

She stealthily magicked a hairbrush out of one of Celestia drawers. She was amazed at how her sister still hadn't noticed what she was doing. All she was going to do was throw the hairbrush at her but miss ever so slightly so that it would surprise her enough for her to shut her eyes.

After a moment of steadying and aiming the brush carefully, she launched it at her sister.

Turns out that Luna wasn't the best shot.

The hairbrush crashed into her sisters face, she shot up in panic and in the process knocked her sister over and onto her back. Luna shrieked in surprise as she her back hit the ground and then in pain when Celestia tripped on said hairbrush, causing her to fall over and a loud cracking noise echoed throughout the room as Celestia landed on Luna's hind legs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It took a second before both sisters calmed down from their heated argument of past events.

"Okay fine. We'll both let bygones be bygones for now", Celestia then continued, "Are you ready to do this thing or what?"

"I was and always am ready!', Luna said smugly. "Now prepare to have your flank beaten once again!"

"Bring it on!", Celestia shouted as she put on a fighting stance, thrusting her hooves forwards and back.

Silence filled the room once again. Both princesses glared at each other. Sweat already began beading from their foreheads and dripping down their faces, nostrils flaring and their eyes trained on one another in a heated battle of the unblinking.

Then there was a knock at the door.

Celestia then turned her head for a second towards the door and shouted, "What is it?!"

They heard a light squeal before the door opened slowly, revealing a white maned grey unicorn. He had a black suit on and monocle on his left eye.He looked on at the two of them nervously.

"Erm. Princess Celestia? Am I interrupting something?"

Celestia smiled apologetically at the servant.

"My apologies. I'm sorry for raising my voice at you"

"Everything's fine. Please, go ahead", Luna said.

"Uh, I'm afraid that you're needed in the royal courtroom, your highness."

Just then, realization hit her. Her eyes grew wider than they already were as her mouth opened up in shock.

"Oh no! I completely forgot! Luna, I'm afraid I'll have to put a hold on our competition?"

Luna gave a sinister smile.

"Oh really? Well I'm afraid that our little game won't be ending so easily."

"What? What do you mean?", Celestia looked at her questioningly.

"Oh nothing. I'm saying, that you can go."

Celestia sighed in relief before saying, "Thank you sist-."

"IF. You admit that I am better than you!"

Celestia's face hardened as she glared at Luna.

"NEVER!."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The brown hoof of an old stallion hit the top of the courtroom table causing both Celestia and Luna to wince slightly at the sudden noise as they continued staring at each other.

"And that horrible horrible noise! By the gods, the laughter of children! Ponies having a good time! Blergh! It all makes me sick!"

Celestia and Luna sighed in unison. This stallion wouldn't stop talking for the past few hours, complaining about everything around him that would normally put a smile on a pony's face. From the flowers in his garden that overtook his weeds to the laughing of foals playing together.

Luna strained her eyes and forced one of her eyes to look away from her sister (Which caused Celestia to gag slightly because it looked like her bulging eyeball was about to pop out of her skull. The squishing sounds didn't help either.) and glanced at the clock. When she realized what time it was, a smile broke open on her face. She reset her eye and poked Celestia on the shoulder with a hoof and pointed towards the clock.

Realizing the time, Celestia quietly cheered to herself with glee before speaking up to the pony before her.

"I'm sorry Mister Tightwad but it seems that this meeting has come to an end", the solar princess said with a smile.

"Ah! It seems so. Well, I shall be taking my leave then. I do hope you take my order of banishing the families around my home out of Canterlot into consideration, Princess Celestia!", the old pony said as he placed a sheet of paper in front of her before heading towards the door.

"Yes Mister Tightwad, I will look into it deeply", she said as she crumpled the piece of paper and tossed it into the nearest trash bin.

"Now. Where were we?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Celestia and Luna continued staring into each others eyes. Their eyes were bloodshot and circled with dark rings. Their eyes had long since dried out, leaving behind a crusty substance where there would normally be liquid.

Luna's horn glowed as she magicked a bottle of eye drops towards her. As it drew nearer however, a pillow that glowed gold crashed into it. Sending both items flying out a window.

"Tia!", Luna shouted angrily.

"No eye drops", was all Celestia said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few more hours went by and the two sisters were still at war with one another. They were in the dining room eating dinner. Both Celestia and Luna glared at each other as they ate their salads. Most of the staff around them just stood around awkwardly as they watched their beloved leaders butt heads with their eyes.

"Are you going to quit yet Luna?! It looks like you're getting tired."

"Oh you'd like that wouldn't you?!", Luna spat back causing bits of lettuce and saliva to fly out of her mouth.

They growled at each other before continuing on with their meal.

"Psst!", one of the waiters called out to a maid.

When he got the attention of the mare he asked, "Uh, should we be worried about them?"

The maid looked back at their two rulers glaring at each other with a deadpanned expression.

She could see Luna struggling to stick a fork of food in her mouth caused by the tiredness and lack of attention. She watched as Luna repeatedly jabbed herself with the fork and saying "Ow" before finally succeeding and moved on to another piece of food.

She turned towards Celestia to see her levitating a jug of water and trying to pour herself a cup of water. But she missed her cup by about a good meter or so, leaving part of the table cloth drenched in water.

After another moment passed, she turned to the waiter that was still looking at her expectantly for answer. A bead of sweat dripped from his brow. He was worried about what to do about the seemingly crazed state that the two princesses were in.

"You must be new here."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They were back in Celestia's bedroom. Both of them were dead tired and both of their eyes were threatening to close shut from exhaustion.

"Hey... Tia", Luna panted tiredly.

She didn't give a response and just sat in front of her in a frozen state.

"Tia", she called again. But still, no response was given. It looked like she didn't even realize she was even being talked to.

"Hey. Hey. Sunbutt. Hey", she called out to her one more time before she finally went and tapped her on the shoulder.

"..... What?", Celestia said groggily.

"Are you... Ready to... forfeit yet?"

"Not... In a million..... Years!"

They both leered silently at each other. Just waiting for one another to give in and throw in the towel.

Suddenly, to their dismay, the desire to yawn overcame them.

"Oh no...", they both said at the same time.

An unseeable force caused both of their mouths to open. They struggled to keep them shut but were failing miserably.

"How about we call it a tie?", Luna spat out quickly before she could no longer pronounce words properly.

"Why... Are you afraid to lose?", Celestia retaliated before her words had started becoming all garbled up.

"Eeyah! Eeease!(Tiaa! Please!)", Luna said with her mouth almost fully wide open.

"Urhh. Aineh! (Urgh. Fine!)", Celestia finally conceded.

Then they both yawned, which caused there eyes to shut.

After a couple seconds, they opened their eyes and looked at each other and blinked at each other a couple times before they both collapsed onto the carpet floor and began screaming in pain.

"Ahhhh! My eyes! They burn like the Sun!!!", Celestia screamed.

"My eyes feel like they've been ripped wide open and then dripped on by lemons!!! The horror!!!", Luna wailed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside of the royal palaces medical centre. Celestia and Luna laid on their individual beds. Both of their eyes were bandaged up and every few hours a nurse would come in and administer some eye drops. Turns out that all that staring severely dried up their eyeballs, even causing certain parts to crack from the dryness.

The room was relatively quiet, other than the beeping coming from the two heart monitors.

Luna broke the silence.

"Hey Tia."

"What?"

"Let us never do that again."

"Deal."

And that was the last time Celestia and Luna ever had a staring contest.

THE END

Author's Note:

One fine day, I looked back onto this story and realized how short it was and whatnot. So I thought to myself in the shower, "Eh. Why the hell not", and decided to make an extended version of this story. Some people may wonder, "Why didn't you just edit the original?". Well to answer that question, people may like the original more. But people may also like this more. Either way I'm keeping the two.

Anyway. Tell me which me in the comments which version you preferred more.

Thanks for reading!

P.S
And as always, please report any errors you find in the story in the comments.

Comments ( 14 )

4666370

Fear not! For I have fixed this glaring error to fit the people who liked this story for odd and even reasons.

Also thank you for taking the time to read this :)

luna must have been employing the never lose strategy for tic tac toe...

4666456

Yes, it seems so. A wise choice!

4666671

Okay and?
You're not the first person to have told me this.

...Okay, so ponies are idiots. Good to know.

4666680
Fair enough then, I glanced at the comments but I musn't have looked hard enough.

I like this version better. The flashback makes it funnier!:pinkiehappy:

4866024
Glad you liked it!

You must be new here.

Also the flashback made me think of somebody unable to see anything but the princesses and all the sudden Celestia is jumping everywhere

Login or register to comment