• Published 2nd Mar 2014
  • 1,282 Views, 11 Comments

Sunset Lodge - TheOtherSideOfFluttershy



Worried about Spike, Twilight decides it's time for a winter vacation at Sunset Lodge. But when she leaves him in the care of a cousin he never knew about, things get complicated.

  • ...
2
 11
 1,282

Chapter One

Twilight Sparkle had worked hard to plan it all very carefully. She planned everything carefully, from daily activities to even planning itself. It was not a surprise that the purple alicorn kept her mane as neat and straight as everything she did. She spent that night, the night Spike had torn up his bed in a furious rage, screaming names Twilight hoped he didn't learn from her, planning the next two weeks.

The whole plan would probably throw her schedule off, something she hated as much as being late with an assignment (we all know how that went). But the fact that it was winter and the pegasus were often whipping up snowstorms that trapped you in your home for days, Twilight concluded that it would be only a minor problem. Just last week, the pegasus created an impressive storm that buried them in snow that reached Twilight's hips. That drove Twilight crazy, for she was supposed to meet Fluttershy at a cafe for lunch, then go help her tend some sick animals. The snow not only made it impossible to walk through, but it also shut down the cafe. This was also a great opportunity to write next month's schedule and do some book organizing. Unfortunately, that was also the week Spike got cranky from Cabin Fever and the constant cleaning of already cleaned things. All that amounted up to last night, where he had his tantrum. This got Twilight thinking.

Twilight had heard of Sunset Lodge before. Her cousin went there every year. Every year, she invited Twilight, who always denied her. The lodge was located in Stallion Mountains. It was a distance from Ponyville, but a train would get them there in no time. The lodge provided a ski resort, half pipe, and more snow sports. There was also a snow hiking trail, a community center, and a diner. You spend the nights in the local cabins, a building consisting of four rooms and a lounge area for ponies to chat with their temporary neighbors. Her cousin was always sure to offer a room in her same cabin. Twilight would never have time to take a winter vacation. This year was different.

Spike woke up to the smell of home made food, something Twilight almost never did. Automatically, he knew something was up. His backed ached from sleeping on his less cushiony bed. He regretted tearing apart the one thing that guaranteed a good night sleep. Stretching, Spike took in the smell. The food was not burnt, as far as he could smell. It probably wasn't the best food, but it wasn't ruined. Spike grabbed part of his blanket, the part that hadn't been destroyed. He dragged it along as he trudged down the stairs. He rubbed his tired eyes and took in the even stronger smell. It was probably pancakes. It was a simple recipe, something that Twilight could do just fine by following the instructions. He walked through the library to the kitchen dining room. Twilight sat, a plate of pancakes laid in the middle of the table. Bags hanged under her eyes. She had been up too late last night. Twilight was reading the newspaper, oblivious to Spike's entrance. He wasn't looking forward to what might be coming after last night. Reluctantly, he sat down on the oak chair. Placed in front of him was a tiny dish, perfect for a baby dragon. He waited for Twilight to start her lecture on how dragons should not use such language, or that she hoped he learned his lesson about destroying his bed. It was a while before Twilight actually noticed he was there (perhaps a side effect of lack of sleep). She smiled at him.

"Good morning, Spike. Want a pancake?" Spike nodded. She was going to feed him, of course. While he ate, she would lecture. She would have him stuck on listening to her lecture, for it was rude to leave the table while someone was talking to you. Twilight levitate a pancake to him, then, to his surprise, two gems. Spike stared at the smiling pony. Her purple mane was easier than usual. She smiled gently to him.

"Um, thanks?" Spike was confused. For a pony who had just been called unspeakable names, she was awfully calm.

"You're very welcome Spike." She went back to reading her newspaper. The front cover said something about more snow. Spike didn't take much interest in the newspaper. He began munching on his breakfast, starting with the large green gem. He was halfway through and a bit more relaxed when Twilight began speaking again.

"You are such a good helper, Spike." Spike nodded, concentrating on savoring his gem. Twilight continued on.

"It says here that the reason for so much snow is because of an over production. They need to get rid of it all. They plan a huge snowstorm next week. Maybe even worse than last weeks." Spike nodded, again not fascinated with weather details, except maybe the fact they might be isolated again for an even longer amount of time. He let out a little sigh.

"Yeah, it's frustrating. Lucky for us, we'll miss it completely." This caught Spike's attention. Since when did the storm miss just them?

"What do you mean, miss us completely? We live in Ponyville." Twilight smiled.

"I mean, we won't be here for that snowstorm. We'll be some where else."

"In Canterlot?"

"Did you ever get a letter from Celestia asking for us to be in Canterlot?" Spike shook his head. Twilight returned to her topic.

"My cousin has asked us to come join her for a vacation at Sunset Lodge." Spike had never heard of this cousin. Then again, he didn't pay much attention to her relatives. As far as he knew, Twilight had a brother, sister-in-law, and parents. She had mentioned some aunts and uncles before, but they never really meet, so it never stuck in his mind. Twilight wasn't finished chatting though.
"She offered us a room in her cabin she stays in. She goes there every year. I usually deny the invitation, but recent events have changed that." Twilight clapped her hooves together.

"This Saturday, we'll be taking the morning train to Sunset Lodge. We'll be staying in the room next to my cousin's. It'll be two weeks of snowy adventures and of making new friends!" Spike stared at Twilight, processing what happened.

"You mean, we're going on a vacation?!" Spike had never been on a vacation. They were always too busy for one.

"Yes!" Twilight squealed like a filly. Spike jumped out of his chair.

"Awesome! Your the best Twilight!" Twilight embraced the little dragon's hug. "I'll start packing right away!" Spike started off to the bedroom. Twilight stopped him, though.

"I have just one question for you, though."

"What?"

"Where did you learn those words?" Spike's face fell from excited to embarrassed.

"Rainbow Dash."

Author's Note:

This probably turned out terrible, so try to make the best of it. Helpful comments are helpful, so please feel free to comment. You won't hurt me.

Comments ( 11 )

Don't worry about it dude. This is a pretty okay story. Though looks like RD is going to get a lecture soon.:rainbowlaugh:

one mistake i noticed

face fell from excited to embarrass.

"embarrassed"
:twilightsmile:

Not bad.:twilightsmile: I am curious about what words, Spike, used though, or why they were directed at Twilight.:moustache::facehoof:

4147584
Some backstory. I'm not repeating the words that come to mind :twilightsheepish:

RD's in trouble.

Will you continue this?

4723609 I really don't know. I want to edit the next chapter, but I have other things to deal with.

When spike said "rainbow dash", I could just picture that one scene from a Christmas story. You know the one...:rainbowlaugh:

About the thing that says "need editor..." I would be interested, I would even work for free! I just kinda want a bit of acknowledgment so I can get my name out there as a fanfic editor.

4730224 if you send me the chapter, I could edit it! Free of charge!

I’d like to read this but it isn’t complete

Login or register to comment