• Published 11th Mar 2014
  • 3,952 Views, 249 Comments

To be her Mother... - Mayhew Cullen



What adventures await the intrepid daughter of Celestia, Crystal Dream? Will her Citadel of Literacy stand up to the Enemies of Knowledge? Will she face her fears and strike out against her inner demons or will she be sent to bed without dessert?

  • ...
9
 249
 3,952

Those who Dream

“Now you are certain you understand fully?”

“Yes dear sister, as thou have told us, no sweets unless she eats her supper... hypocrite...

“What was that?”

“Nothing Tia oh wonderful sister of mine.” Luna put on a forced smile in an attempt to show her sincerity... a feat that easily eluded the long since former bearer of honesty.

Celestia let out a heavy sigh as she continued to glare at her younger sister. She then found herself in a giving mood as she gave the princess of the night just one more chance, “Alright, if you think you are ready, then tell me, what are the rules I have given you for caring for my daughter.”

Luna grinned playfully as she recounted, “We must never feed her after midnight, we shall not get her wet, and we must not expose her to bright light, especially that of the sun.” The smile quickly faded as Celestia replied.

“Alright then I guess I’ll just ask Twilight if one of her friends can-“

“Wait sister! We apologize! Crystal will have time to play until dinner, then after dinner, we shall give her a bath. After the bath is quiet reading or coloring time until we raise the moon and set the sun, then stargazing with a snack, bed time story, and then is the time for sleep and dreams. Dost thou not see sister? We will behave and care for her as if she were our own!” It actually only took half of Luna’s speech before Celestia burst into laughter, though Luna only noticed after she had finished.

“Honestly Lulu, I know you won’t let any harm come to my Crystal. You are not the kind of pony who would allow a dream to become a nightmare.”

In an instant the younger princess was holding her sister in a tight embrace. Celestia chuckled warmly before whispering, “Really now Luna, were you not at one time the bearer of laughter?”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In another place, and another time... relatively speaking of course, A relatively out of place changeling and a predominantly timeless draconequus sat around a rather unassuming table enjoying an afternoon tea... At least the changeling was enjoying herself.

“Apologies Master, as much as it amuses me that you have a new daughter, did this not happen before?”

Discord seethed, he hated being reminded of the past by his own creation... slave... pet? Perhaps... tool... yes, while the world was not composed entirely of nails, he did at times need a hammer that came in the form of a changeling, “Silence worm. If I had wanted your opinion on the matter I would have said, ‘Oh Seed, tell me something, should I do something about little Chrysie calling me daddy?’ but I did not say that did I?”

“Of course not master, please forgive my insolence. Still after meeting her, I can see why you haven’t erased her like your first daughter, she was quite pleasant even after being foalna...”

Seed was quickly cut off by the snapping of Discord’s claw in an instant the changeling had become a life sized plush of herself. With reckless abandon the master of chaos began beating and tearing at the stuffed changeling until all that remained was shredded fabric and tufts of stuffing.

Another snap restored the toy to perfect condition and one more turned her back into a changeling. Discord growled when he finally addressed his underling, “Be careful with your words Seed. I might forget to make the process painless next time.”

Seed had experienced the whole thing, but being made of stuffing and cloth she felt no pain. Being beaten and thrown about was not such a terrible experience when one could not feel hurt. However, being torn apart was... terrifying. While she did not feel it, she knew it was happening. Still even with her rattled mind Seed stood respectfully before Discord and spoke, “Of course Master. Do you require anything else this evening?”

“No, just a little privacy while I get ready for my hot date.”

“As you command, Master.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Are you certain your majesty? This seems rather extreme.”

“The filly has an unfair advantage. It is a travesty we will no longer stand for.” Also there were other reasons, but her guards didn’t need to be informed of such things. It was still a little over an hour until dinner, so having the spell wear out after an hour would work just fine.

Crystal however saw nothing of this and busied herself in her mommy’s garden by sniffing every rose she could get close enough to smell. A dark blue aura surrounded Luna and two of her guards leaving two others available if anything should go wrong.

After a sudden flash of blue light, three foals each appearing to be between five and six stood where the princess and her guards had been only a moment before. One was a midnight blue alicorn foal. The second was a light grey unicorn colt with an almost pale white mane. The last was a lunar Pegasus filly with a dark grey coat and nearly black mane and tail.

The little Alicorn cried out triumphantly the moment she saw the other foals and herself, “Huzzah! We have been successful! Come along fillies and colt, we had a game of hide-and-seek to commence!”

While the now foal-sized Luna giggled with excitement her two small guards answered in unison with equally childish voices, “Yes your majesty!” Soon the guards were overcome with laughter as their new squeaky vocalizations, drawing the attention of the only true foal of the group.

Upon seeing her Aunt Luna now the same size as herself, Crystal ran to her aunt crying out, “Aunty Luna! You are so cute!” Luna barely registered her niece’s statement before she felt the impact of Chrysie’s embrace. The hug quickly deteriorated into a rousing tickle fight and haphazard game of tag.

With hide-and-seek forgotten the shrunken guards remained still until their princess called out, “By royal proclamation! Get your cute little flanks over here and start playing! I didn’t turn you into foals so you could stand around acting like boring old guards.”

While the former stallion was still apprehensive, his partner was more than ready as she dashed toward Luna and Crystal shouting, “Bastion’s it!”

The aforementioned unicorn was stunned for only a moment before replying with his own battle cry, “Not for long Echo!”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Discord.”

“Ah my dear Princess Celestia, I’m so glad you could make it.” Discord wore a warm grin in spite of Celestia’s burning glare.

“I was the one who asked you to meet with me.”

“Oh come now, at the very least we should be civil, besides I managed to get us a reservation at a rather exclusive little café.” Discord was unflappable even in the fiery presence of the sun princess herself. Of course one had to be able to stand a little heat if they were going to spend any time at all at the restaurant he had chosen.

“Discord, I don’t want to go out to eat. This is a very serious matter that needs to be dealt with swiftly and with discretion.”

“But darling Tia, we’re going to one of your favorite places...” One could call Discord many things, subtle was not one of them. So a quick pause for dramatic effect led to a prideful shout and a victorious pose, “Tonight we dine... On the sun!”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a joy filled round of tag, the four foals rolled playfully in the grass, giggling at nothing.

Everything seemed wonderful until one of the remaining adult guards spoke, “Your highness, dinner will be served soon.”

The tiny princess rolled to her back and excitedly threw up her hooves shouting, “Huzzah! Come along Chrysie, we... have...” As Luna spoke she noticed that her voice was still that of a small filly and her shout became softer as it was soon laced with worry, “How long? How long have we been a foal?”

“A little over an hour ma’am... why do you ask?” the guard obviously had no knowledge of age alteration and regression spells, though for that matter Luna had very little.

It had been a foolish decision to use such a spell without careful study and due to the enhanced power of an alicorn’s magic the spell’s duration was exponentially increased from one hour to eighteen.

Of course that deviation was entirely unknown to her and before she could get far in her calculations she heard the excited voice of her dear niece, “Yay dinner! Auntie Lulu, can my new friends have dinner with us?” As if she needed to sweeten the deal not only did Crystal have puppy dog eyes and a quivering pout cemented on her face, but the two guard foals wore the same expression.

After a long bout of joyful laughter Luna agreed to letting the tiny guards join them for the evening meal

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“See, this is why I hate The Sun. The service is terrible, it’s always too hot and my drink boils away before I even see it, and the atmosphere is radioactive. Honestly I have no idea why you thought a restaurant on the sun was a good idea.”

Discord dismissed Celestia’s complaints as the pair sat peacefully under the raging inferno of the photosphere. The still slightly amused draconequus allowed himself a knowing smile as he spoke, “Well at least we don’t have to worry about eavesdropping.”

“I have a spell for that.”

“Right, well... so tell me Tia, what has you so desperate to speak with me that you are missing your daughter’s dance recital?”

Celestia thought a moment before raising an eyebrow; still she had business to take care of. “I would like to speak with you about acquiring the indefinite use of one of your... assets. Also Crystal does not take dance classes so she would not have a recital.”

“Well there is the old tyrant I know and love, unwilling to let your own daughter dance.”

“She can dance if she wants to.”

“Well at least she didn’t learn the Twilight Two-step from your faithful student.” At that Discord snapped his claw and a shimmering moving image appeared.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crystal happily skipped around the large dining hall table. Her joyful dance done in time with the odd lyrics she was singing with much more than an ounce of enthusiasm, “Eenie meenie miney moe, catch a tiger by his toe, if he hollers put him in a bucket, saddle up your flank and move it and tuck it, my mommy told me to, pick it like a piece of plum, pop it in and chew, Daddy wears a hair piece, so the choice is you!”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I taught her that one!” while the pride in Discord’s voice was palpable, Celestia was far from amused.

“Of course you did.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A unicorn maid carefully placed booster seats in the chair Crystal had chosen and three others close by for the other foals. She wore the biggest smile she had in weeks seeing her beloved princess Luna in the form of a young foal. She along with much of the staff felt that despite her age, the lunar princess had the tendency to act quite foolish in private situations. This was just the outsides matching the insides so to speak.

“Well I think I’m working that night, so I’ll be dressed as a member of the Lunar Guard on Nightmare Night. What about you Echo?”

“Well if you’re working then I’m working so I’ll dress up as a unicorn.” The Lunar Pegasus filly joyfully replied in an attempt to tease her partner. “Oh Chrysie! What are you going to dress as?”

“Mommy is gonna make me a Chryseelisee costume!” The two foal sized guards were silent, they had heard Celestia speak highly of Chrysalis with the filly before, but they never understood why Crystal had any connection to the deceased changeling queen.

However, before they had too long to think too much on the subject Luna shouted, “We will be Batmare!”

While Crystal and Bastion were simply happy with the results of the game, Echo had her own objections, “And what makes the princess think she would make a good Batmare?”

Luna rolled her eyes before laughing. Once the laughter died she put on as serious a face as possible with her youthful appearance and said, “You foal, we are the night!”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“You want what?”

“As I just said, I want to employ your changeling servant as an undercover guard for Crystal.”

Discord growled at the mention of Seed, more specifically he growled at finding out that Celestia knew about her. “Oh dearest Tia, one does not simply employ the services of a slave.”

“Is that so? Well then by the third Lunar Act of Accord prohibiting the ownership of any member of a free willed intelligent species, I hereby free her and grant her citizenship as a free Equestrian. Will you tell her that I am offering her employment or shall I send her a letter?”

“What makes you think I will agree?” Discord was fuming at the meddling of the solar princess, yet Celestia remained calm and collected.

“Because you owe me something worth far more than a simple plaything, you miserable hodgepodge monstrosity.”

Discord smiled, not a fun kind of smile but one that held some dark twisted thought as he reached out to caress Celestia’s chin with his lion paw and replied, “Oh Tia. Very well, you may have my servant, but only because I love it when you talk dirty to me.”

“Remove your claw! Do you have such a short memory to think I would forgive you?”

“A thousand years is a long time to hold a grudge, still I won’t apologize. Nothing you say will ever make me believe I was in the wrong” The infinite regret and self-loathing took care of that all on its own.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The four foals happily splashed about as they played in the large tub in Luna’s private bath. What was normally enough to easily allow an alicorn to have a comfortable soak had become a swimming pool for the four little ponies.

Much to the dismay of the maid who was currently trying to wash them after a particularly messy dinner, complete with optional food fight, “Oh Princess, your hooves are all sticky... Chrysie, how did you get tomato sauce in your ear...? Will you two settle down? You are royal guards for buck’s sake!”

A sharp gasp echoed from the four younglings before Luna spoke, “Constant said a swear...”

The bath was silent as the maid slumped to the floor with her forehooves hanging in the tub and her head resting on the edge with her eyes closed. However the momentary peace only lasted until a bar of soap enveloped in a blue aura floated to Constant Care’s lips.

The foals burst into laughter as a sputtering Pegasus writhed on the floor in her attempts to remove the taste of soap from her mouth, “You little tyrant! I should give you the spanking of your life for that.” So with renewed vigor Constant resumed her cleaning of the still giggling foals.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“You never told me why you wanted to use Seed.” The pair now sat on an immense asteroid floating through the depths of space with the best possible view of the universe that reality altering chaos could provide

“No I didn’t.” Celestia winced slightly as she watched a pair of smaller asteroids crash together with Discord’s head in between. There was no cause for concern as to his wellbeing; after all he was like a cockroach in more ways than one. “It really shouldn’t be a surprise that I want my daughter to make as many friends as possible.”

“So she can channel her inner Twilight?”

“So she can be safe from loneliness and despair when she finds out what she is.”

Discord chuckled as he thought about the creation of Seed. He had never planned to use her for anything beyond simply wanting to find out if he could. The wondrous magical construct had spread more than enough chaos among the changeling hives, perhaps it was time to release her into the wild to see what would happen. “If she is to be Chrysie’s friend then I imagine you will use an age spell.”

“Age spells have limits. I will need you to alter her mind and body to make her an appropriate age for a foalsitter.”

“And what of her origins? Ponies don’t just come out of nowhere anymore.”

“She will be an orphan; I already have a wonderful family lined up to adopt her. They have been looking to adopt for years and were more than happy to let me give their daughter employment as Crystal’s foalsitter.”

“Pegasus? Or are you going to want another Cadence?”

“She will be a Pegasus; another alicorn coming out of nowhere would be too problematic.”

“Who will know what she is?”

Celestia smiled, she had wondered when this question would come up. It made sense that he would want to know who the liabilities were going to be when he set out his creation on the world, “Only you, Luna, and I will know that she is little more than an animated doll. Twilight and her friends will know that Seed is a changeling. The rest of Equestria will know that she is a Pegasus filly named Maple Seed.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four glisteningly clean foals had arrayed themselves in a circle facing each other on the soft carpeted floor of Crystal’s room. In between them all there was a pile of strewn papers, crayons and a plate that had been recently emptied of the cookies it held. Even the shrunken guards had happily joined in the coloring and after dinner snack.

It was actually quite a pleasant change from their earlier rowdiness with only soft giggles when one showed their latest picture to the group and the occasional instance of Crystal hugging a drawing she made of her mommy or one of her aunts and uncles.

It took a little time, but Luna eventually saw a trend she just had to make an inquiry about, “Chrysie, why have you not made a drawing of us to hug?”

“Because I can do this!” In that instant Crystal jumped at her aunt embracing her. It was an act that might have caused the foals to become excited and noisy once more were it not for the chimes of an old grandfather clock in an adjacent room.

Luna jumped in quiet excitement as she began chanting, “Yay! Moon rise, sun down! Bedtime story time!” As she sang the princess ran out of the room leading her niece and the two guards to the nearest balcony to watch the sun make way for the moon.

Then as darkness swept over Equestria a look of concentration took hold on Luna’s face and her horn began glowing bright. The light of the moon was swiftly revealed just as the stars began to appear in the night sky. As the grand lunar orb settled in its place the now fatigued princess fell on her side with a tired cheer, “Yay...”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It’s getting late.” Celestia observed while the she and Discord sat in a small row boat in the middle of the western sea.

“Well I had a good time; perhaps you would like to come back to my place?”

“Don’t be disgusting Discord.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luna grinned; she and the other three foals had curled up together on a makeshift mattress made of blankets and pillows as the lunar princess prepared to tell her bedtime story.

After taking a deep breath Luna began.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria two princesses lived together in harmony. They were born to rule over the ponies of Equestria, protecting them from harm and misfortune.

The elder sister was destined to control the sun and her younger sister who was much more lovely would hold sway over the moon and stars. But soon the elder princess grew jealous and demanded that her sister be covered in mud to make her less lovely.

The moon princess refused, instead showering mud all over her older sister’s room and books. Retaliation came swiftly and the first great mud war came full bore through the castle they shared with their parents.

The princesses’ mother and father were filled with anger at the mess and sent the sisters to bed without cookies or cake. Weeping at their misfortune they promised to never fight again so they would never again miss out on cake or cookies.

The End!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“Do you want to hear the story of how Tia and I started a pie war?” Luna smiled as she quickly added.

However by this time the other foals were happily asleep curled up together in a friendly pile of foals. Deciding to not argue with the inevitable, Luna quickly joined them in soft filly slumber.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Discord, go home. I don’t have any patience left and you have a changeling to prepare.” Celestia stood proudly on her balcony still trying to get the lord of chaos to leave her alone.

“As you wish dearest.” With a snap Discord was gone leaving Celestia to shake the old thoughts and feelings from her mind. In her eyes he was a monster with no regret for his actions.

Celestia gracefully stepped into her chambers immediately continuing toward the guarded door to her daughter’s bedroom. However just as she reached the door a guard stopped her, “Your highness, you may wish to prepare yourself...” The princess silenced the guard; there was nothing her sister might have done to Crystal that she had not already prepared herself for.

Except of course for the pile of foals she saw as she entered. Unable to hold back her emotions upon seeing Luna she stifled her laughter into a soft giggle that only roused one of the foals. A small unicorn colt that she immediately recognized as one of her sister’s guards.

Fear filled his eyes on seeing the mother of the filly he was sleeping with, but as he opened his mouth to defend himself Celestia again raised a silencing hoof as she spoke so as to not arouse the three fillies still asleep in the pile, “Shush now my little pony. It is quite late, you must be quite tired. I can see your intentions are pure, so please go back to sleep without fear in your heart.”

The guard colt quickly gave a respectful bow as he reset himself and quickly fell back into a peaceful rest pressed firmly against Echo. Celestia however drew upon her magic casting a spell that washed a soft light all over her body.

When the light was gone Celestia found herself much shorter, about the size of an average mare. Her long flowing mane had also shortened and now rested stagnant in a soft hue of pink. The once again teen aged Celestia smiled warmly as she laid herself down with the foals curling her body and wings around them in a show of protectiveness and love. Her heart sang at feeling the heartbeats of so many of her ponies. As the music filled her she began to sing softly. A lullaby for the four foals she was now cuddling with.

“Hush now, quiet now. It’s time to lay your sleepy heads. Hush now, quiet now. It’s time to go to bed. Drifting off to sleep. Exciting day behind you. Drifting off to sleep. Let the joys of dreamland find you. Hush now, quiet now. It’s time to lay your sleepy heads. Hush now, quiet now. It’s time to go to bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Within the dreamscape, Luna stood once again tall and proud as a nearly full grown alicorn, but as with many of the dreams she helped foals with she was not the focal point. Instead the focus was on the warm embrace shared between Crystal and an entirely different alicorn princess.

This princess stood as tall as Celestia with a cobalt blue mane that seemed to flow ethereally like Luna and Celestia’s. Here piercing blue-green dragon-like eyes were a striking contrast to her shining black coat. Tears of joy and regret poured down the alicorn’s cheeks as the filly she held in her embrace spoke, “Please don’t cry Princess Chryseelisee, I love you so much, I don’t want you to be sad.”

Chrysalis only wept harder as she replied, “Oh Crystal, I’m not sad. I love you so much that I wish I could always be with you. Please know that I am so proud of you and I will always be watching over you.” The former changeling queen looked up to see Luna smiling at the heartwarming scene playing out before her. Chrysalis smiled as she softly spoke, directing her words at the princess of the night, “Thank you Luna... thank you for letting me hold her again, even if it is for only this night.”

Author's Note:

Yay another part happily published. This release guest stars Princess Luna, Stalwart Bastion, Starfall Echo, and a delicious rack of ribs. The really bad bedtime story was brought to you by the folks at your local library... so be nice to Luna, in my headcanon she is really bad at telling bedtime stories.

Okay Updates for the grand pet for Crystal project, I got a few last time but I would like at least a couple more. So far we have... Bat suggested by DollyisBestPony, Phoenix suggested by Ulrezaj, Monkey suggested by SoulBroney, and Raven suggested by Rootbeer Dew. Voting will commence upon the release of the next part regardless of how many suggestions I receive.