• Published 28th Feb 2014
  • 21,394 Views, 3,396 Comments

Tales of the Oppressed - Terran34



Follow the journey of a young cynical man as his world is turned upside down. Without anywhere to turn, can he learn to set aside his preconceptions and learn to accept friendship for what it truly is?

  • ...
156
 3,396
 21,394

PreviousChapters Next
96. Impending Threat

Rubella and Amber remain silent for the duration of our tale, despite how crazy it sounds. I lived some of it, and it's still a little nuts to consider. We're basically looking at the remnants of an ancient civilization and their inhabitants...except they don't know they're as ancient as they are.

“Has it really been a thousand years?” Rubella asks in shock and awe. When we nod, she lets out a disbelieving sigh. “I can't believe it. It's over? King Sombra is...gone?”

“As far as we know, yes. That's partially why we're here,” I reply, not wanting to lie to her. For all we know, Sombra could still be around. “We were hoping you could tell us why you're all back now, after all this time.”

Rubella starts to cry again, embracing her little sister with a joy only a liberated slave could exhibit. I give her a few moments to compose herself, because I think I'd be pretty happy myself in her position. Then again, I don't know what the soldiers did to her family, and I really don't want to.

When she looks at me again, she's smiling. “I never thought Equestria would be the one to save us. We always dreamed, but...we had lost all hope,” Rubella relates, sniffing and rubbing an eye with a hoof. To my surprise, something about her appearance changes. It's so subtle that I first think I'm imagining it, but a second look reveals a slight twinkle in her coat and mane, causing them to look less drab and tangled than before. What the hell is that about? “I'm so grateful...I only wish I could give you more information.”

“Just tell us what ya can, then,” Applejack reassures her. Rubella nods.

“It isn't much. I'm sorry, but I was just another slave...nopony important enough to overhear anything useful,” Rubella admits. I sigh, realizing that we've hardly learned anything from this whole process. Welp, Applejack, we have our work cut out for us. “All I remember is working myself to exhaustion just yester...I mean...a thousand years ago, and then the sounds of the battle. Everything else after that is just blank.”

“So you have no idea why you're free now?” I ask one more time, in hope that she's been holding something back. I end up disappointed when Rubella shakes her head.

“No, I'm sorry, but I don't have any information for you. All I can offer is my eternal gratitude and friendship for coming to us and treating us kindly,” Rubella answers sadly.

“Don't worry about a thing. Ah was glad to meet y'all,” Applejack assures them, even as I sit back and let out a sigh. I should have figured that this wouldn't be too easy after all. “Y'all should thank Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. They're the ones that took care o' King Sombra back then.”

“They...they're here?” Rubella asks in surprise. “Even though it's been a thousand years?”

“Can we go see them? Please, sis?” Amber pleads, tugging on her sister's hoof in an adorable fashion.

“Yeah, they're immortal. No idea how they did that, nor do I particularly care,” I reveal with a shrug. I have no interest in figuring out how they became immortal. That's the last thing I want, to be honest. “But you'll likely find them with our military. I'm not sure where, though.”

“A bit o' sun might do y'all a world a good, though,” Applejack advises them as she stands up from her chair. “Why don't y'all step outside? We'll come with you.”

“Go...outside? Without...I mean, I know they're gone, but...” Rubella stammers, though she does stand up unsteadily as well. “If we went outside without being called...we were...punished.”

“Ain't nopony's gonna punish you. C'mon, it's really nice outside,” Applejack urges them, pushing Rubella gently on the flank with her head. Rubella protests weakly, but steps towards the door, her little sister tagging along close behind her. “Let's go, Seth.”

“I'm going, sheesh,” I reply. As I follow Applejack, I watch Rubella closely. I may have seemed rather callous during this meeting, but seriously I wish I could do more for them. I thought I went through some shit...but that's nothing compared to what these two have gone through.

Rubella nears the door, beads of sweat starting to form on her forehead. Trembling, she presses her hoof to the handle, but doesn't turn it. She hesitates there, gulping nervously. It's only when Applejack rest a hoof on her back to reassure her that she gains the courage to turn the knob and open the door.

She squints as the sunlight falls on her face, unused to the light. As her eyes adjust, Rubella takes her first steps outside in a thousand years. Her eyes light up with radiant joy as she takes in the sights of her home, free from Sombra's corrupted influence. “It's....it's beautiful! The colors are back! It's just like it was before!” she exclaims.

Suddenly, her body undergoes a sudden change, taking both Applejack and I by surprise. Life returns to her mane and coat, which then appear to style and groom themselves. That twinkle that I saw within her coat before intensifies until it encompasses her whole body, covering her with a sheen not unlike that of a crystal, except it's constantly moving, giving her a mystical appearance.

“What the...” I emit, giving Applejack a glance. Applejack's only response is to shrug, as she's looking at the transformed Rubella in awe. She looks like she's made out of walking crystal, even though I know that's just an illusion. Maybe this is why they're called crystal ponies.

Amber undergoes a similar transformation, such that she and her sister are standing side by side, sparkling with crystalline magic. The little filly squeaks with happiness and embraces her sister, who reciprocates tearfully.

I can't help but smile, watching them. I only hope that whatever brought the Crystal Empire back is benign, or their lives will go right back to being hell. After seeing something like this, I know that I never want to see them like they were before ever again.

Hearing Rubella and Amber's jubilation causes some of the other ponies to peer out at them. Some of them actually step outside despite their fear of Sombra's soldiers, wondering how one of their own can be so happy. Before I know it, the street is filled with ponies. Some of they eye Applejack and I anxiously, but mostly their attention is focused on Rubella and her sister.

“Well, would ya look at that?” Applejack marvels, taking off her hat and holding it against her chest. “All it took was one nudge in the raht direction.”

“Yeah, seriously. How did you know to do what you did in there?” I ask, turning to Applejack. “I'd never have been able to get anything out of them.”

“It's nuthin special. Everypony responds to a little bit o' basic pony kindness,” Applejack explains, replacing her hat on her head. “These folks jus' needed a bit more than most.”

“Goddamn,” is all I can say. As if I didn't respect Applejack enough already. Now she's managed to get the crystal ponies out of their homes. In fact, the level of conversation is rising as the news spreads from pony to pony. Some of them even undergo the same transformation as Rubella, confirming my suspicions that it's a crystal pony related ability.

“Let's git movin'. We still gotta question some o' these other ponies,” Applejack says to me, deciding to let Rubella and her sister enjoy their newfound freedom. Right. Letting Applejack take the lead, we continue our search for information.


Unfortunately, our search doesn't turn up anywhere near as much as we would like. We get similar stories from the ponies we question. They were all present for the battle, and the last thing they remember is a sudden quake and a flash of rainbow light, then nothing. The only differences between the tales are the positions of the ponies in question. Most of them are in their homes due to it being after curfew. Occasionally we come across one that was outside during the attack and actually saw Celestia and Luna nuking Sombra all to hell with the Elements of Harmony. However, his memory went blank right after that as well.

“It seems like everyone was hit by one massive stasis spell,” I muse once we reach the end of the street. Applejack listens intently, a look of concentration on her face as she too tries to think up an explanation for everypony's collective loss of memory. “A stasis spell so large it took the city and everything nearby with it...almost like...holy shit.”

“What is it?” Applejack questions, raising an eyebrow at my sudden expletive.

“That definitely confirms the curse was Sombra's doing. But it wasn't tied to his life force, as Celestia believed,” I explain. Now Applejack just looks confused. “Sombra sent me to this time as well, using a very similar spell. I remember meeting him, and then calling my friend just seconds before I lost consciousness...and then I woke up three thousand years later.”

“Ya think it's the same spell?” Applejack inquires. I shrug, thinking it's as good an explanation as ever. Still, the experiences of these ponies sound the same as mine, and the spell had the same effect, so I think it's a reasonable conclusion to draw. “So that means there might be no threat at all?”

“God, I hope so. It would be really nice if this was just the stasis spell wearing off,” I express. I lean against the side of a house, sighing at the small relief on my muscles. “But that doesn't explain the wave of magic I felt. Hm...”

“Ah think we should get back to Princess Celestia an' see what the others found,” Applejack suggests. Yeah, that seems like a good idea. We haven't found much more than random houses here, so I think this is a residential district. That, and all of the ponies have practically the same information to give to us.

“That's a good idea. Come here,” I agree, moving towards Applejack. She sees me coming and backs away, eyeing my arms suspiciously. “What the...oh stop it. It's faster if I carry you.”

“Ah know, but ya didn't exactly handle me comfortably,” Applejack returns accusingly. As I watch, perplexed, she circles around me and hops up on my back, causing me to slightly buckle under the increased wait. She wraps her hooves around my shoulders and locks her legs around my waist. “Alraht, let's go. Hurry up, this is embarrassing.”

“This brings a whole new meaning to giving somepony a ponyback ride,” I remark, chuckling a little. I leap into the air, which is only a little bit harder due to Applejack's weight. I bet she has a weight button, so I don't mention it.

However, after the first few minutes of flying, Applejack notices how long it's taking to get anywhere. “Why are ya movin' so slow?” she inquires.

“Because I'm trying to hold back. You know what my power looks like, right? What do you think those ponies are gonna think if they see me flying around with dark magic, the same kind of shit Sombra used?” I snap back at her. Applejack falls silent, seeing the sense in that. “I'm trying not to freak them out any more than they already are.”

“Why, that's mighty kind o' you, sugarcube,” Applejack comments with surprise. She then adopts a mischievous grin.“It's nice ta see ya carin' 'bout somepony other than Rainbow.”

“Oh, shove it, I care about ponies other than her,” I grunt, embarrassed. “There's...oh, you're making fun of me. Bitch.”

Applejack's laughter sounds out through the air as the two of us fly across the sky.


From midair, I quickly spot Celestia and Luna standing beneath the base of the tower, inside the massive dome formed by the three “legs” of the building. The two of them seem to have set up an outpost. There are crude fortifications, such as wooden walls, erected in the crystal streets between the legs of the tower.

It also looks like some of the other ponies are already there. I can spot Pinkie and Spike already there, along with Rarity and Rainbow. I angle my descent and head straight there. As I land, I notice the apparatus that held the Crystal Heart that I'd seen in the hologram. However, curiously enough, the heart is missing. Whatever. Like I care where some gemstone went.

Luna steps aside to make room for me just as my feet land on the street with a click. Applejack hastily jumps off of my back, adjusting her hat as if she hadn't just been clinging onto me for dear life. I'm about to say something, but it looks like Celestia is still busy.

“Understood. Perform sweeps at regular intervals and make sure to keep yourselves hidden,” Celestia orders Captain Gale, who is standing here as well along with a few other pegasi with white coats. I'm assuming the other ponies are in the Stealth Corps with Gale. “We do not want to provoke it. It has enough undead to pose a serious threat if it were to attack now.”

“Yes, your Highness!” Gale and the other pegasi chorus. They turn away and take off simultaneously, heading for the outskirts of the city in formation. Once they're gone, Celestia turns her full attention to us.

“Welcome back, Seth and Applejack” Celestia greets us, dipping her head. She casts her gaze across the six of us, pursing her lips. “That just leaves Twilight and Fluttershy.”

“We trust thy search was fruitful?” Luna asks, directing her question to all of us.

“Definitely! I mean, you put me in charge after all,” Rainbow brags, causing Rarity and I to roll our eyes. Rainbow then gives Rarity a pointed stare. “It would have been even better if somepony hadn't been rifling through their wardrobes!”

“That was just once! I couldn't help myself,” Rarity confesses, looking rather guilty. However, her expression is soon replaced with a serious one. “That aside...I just feel terrible. The experiences these poor ponies must have gone through...I can't even imagine.”

“I know the feeling all too well,” Celestia agrees solemnly. “Those ponies that escaped to Equestria were in terrible shape. I have never seen such atrocities done to another living thing. It had to stop.”

In the middle of Celestia's statement, Twilight and Fluttershy arrive. I can't help but notice that Fluttershy looks like shit. By that, I mean that her eyes are reddened and her cheeks are puffy, as if she'd just been crying. When she gets closer, she sniffs, and another tear rolls down her cheek. Twilight is next to her in an attempt to comfort her, despite looking a little stunned herself.

“Fluttershy, darling, what's the matter?” Rarity exclaims, noticing Fluttershy's state just after I do. Her exclamation causes the other ponies to look over at Fluttershy as well. When Rarity approaches her, Fluttershy heaves a sob and hugs her tightly.

“These....these poor ponies....I can't...” Fluttershy stammers, squeezing her eyes shut. Rarity's eyes soften, and she strokes Fluttershy's mane to comfort her. The rest of us exchange glances, knowing what she's dealing with. The implications from our search weren't pretty. It seems like Fluttershy, being as sensitive as she is, is taking it particularly hard. “It's just horrible!”

“Princess, I...” Twilight says next, looking at Celestia uncertainly. Celestia gives her student her full attention, approaching her with a solemn expression on her face. “I didn't realize it was this bad...we weren't prepared.”

“I don't think any of us were,” Spike adds sagely from his position next to Pinkie. Looking around, I can see Rarity, Rainbow, and the others nodding in agreement. I remain silent, as I had been subjected to the acts of Sombra and his servants before. As callous as it makes me sound, this is just par for the course. Sombra is capable of much worse.

“I'm not a belligerent pony by any means, but...” Rarity continues as she holds onto Fluttershy. “Princesses, I can't help but be glad you dealt with that mongrel Sombra.”

“He was a real meanie! And I don't mean the normal type of meanie!” Pinkie agrees with narrowed eyes, sounding uncharacteristically serious for once. “I mean the worst kind.”

“I understand. I apologize completely for having to expose you to the horrors of Sombra's reign, but I felt I had no other choice.” Celestia responds to our sentiments, looking truly sorrowful. She strides towards Fluttershy, lowering herself down. With her hoof, she lifts up Fluttershy's head such that their gazes meet. Celestia closes her eyes and nuzzles Fluttershy affectionately, surprising her. “Dear Fluttershy, don't be ashamed to cry. To feel such empathy for these ponies...you are truly kind.”

“I am happy despite the grim reminders of the past,” Celestia declares once she steps back from the noticeably calmer Fluttershy. “In the past, when Luna and I went to war with King Sombra, his defeat resulted in the disappearance of the Crystal Empire. At the time, we were distraught, as we believed our war had destroyed the very thing we set out to save. But now...”

“It was not for nothing. Our struggles saved the Crystal Empire and its inhabitants,” Luna rejoins, smiling slightly. “We cannot help but be happy.”

“That's raht! They've gone through a lot, but we kin help them now,” Applejack agrees with more fervor in her voice than I expected. “We gotta figure out how it came back, after all. Seth has an idea as far as that goes.”

“Does he? In that case, let's return to the task at hoof,” Celestia states, returning to Luna's side. “Because you spoke up first, would you present your findings, Applejack and Seth?”

In turn, each group reveals the results of their own investigations, starting with Applejack and I. I give my theory on the curse being the same as the spell that brought me here as well, in addition to the small snippets of information gathered from the crystal ponies.

The other teams reveal similar information. “Nopony remembers anything after you two used the Elements,” Spike explains with a hint of frustration in his voice.

“It's like some kind of collective amnesia,” Twilight reasons. Her brow is wrinkled in concentration as she puts together conclusions in her mind. “None of them have any idea that a spell was even cast on them.”

“That's what we found too,” Rainbow chimes in, visibly showing her frustration by kicking at the ground. “All they know is Sombra went down, and then they woke up now. We also got some details on their previous life...and I think I could have gone without hearing them.”

“Troubling. It does not look like we have much to go on,” Celestia muses with a frown. “I'm not how much time we have. That necromancer won't ignore our presence forever.”

“Um...there is one more thing. I'm not sure if it's important, though,” Spike speaks up, gaining our attention. “One of the crystal ponies – once we got him out of his house that is – said that he felt something was missing. He couldn't tell me what, though.”

“Something is missing...” Celestia repeats, mulling the statement over in her head. Next to her, Luna slams her hoof down in frustration.

“Curses! We simply do not know enough about the Crystal Empire to determine what couldst be missing!” Luna expresses.

Suddenly, I remember something. I look past Celestia and Luna to the strange apparatus in the dead center of the clearing beneath the tower, where that strange heart was. It's not there anymore. It didn't seem important before, but now?

“What is it, Seth?” Celestia asks me alertly, noticing that my attention is focused elsewhere.

“In that hologram you first showed me...the one of the Crystal Empire before Sombra took over...” I muse. I'm not sure if this is anything, but it's worth a shot. I turn and point directly at the apparatus. “I remember a spinning crystal heart that used to be right there.”

My words get the princesses and the others to glance at the apparatus curiously. Celestia seems to know what I'm talking about. “You are right. I did notice its absence before, but I did not believe it to be of any significance. However...perhaps there's more to that gemstone than I previously believed,” Celestia reveals. She spreads her wings and propels herself towards the apparatus, no doubt going to get a closer look.

Our group follows her, hooves clopping along the crystal pavement. When I near the apparatus, I leap up and fly to it as well. Celestia stops me from going any further by moving in front of me. “What is it?” I ask curiously.

“Don't get too close. This is a powerful magical device. Do you see these grooves?” Celestia informs me, directing my gaze to a set of barely visible grooves in the crystal. They emanate from the pedestal at the top of the apparatus, trace all the way down its side, and even spread across the entirety of the clearing beneath the tower. “These are usually used to direct the flow of magic from a particular object. From what I have seen here, these grooves channel the magic native to the land into this apparatus here, collecting it all into one point.”

“Fascinating,” Twilight murmurs from her position on the ground. She too is closely observing the base of the apparatus, following the grooves with her eyes. “What do they use it for?”

“I am not certain, but if I were to make a guess, I would say that the heart amplified the magical power in order to enrich the land. It would explain how such beautiful plant life grew in the wastelands of the north,” Celestia hypothesizes.

“You know, I was wondering that myself. We're in the middle of the fucking north. Why is there grass?” I question, rubbing my chin.

“We should try and find the Crystal Heart. I want to help these ponies restore their kingdom,” Twilight suggests as she steps back to give Celestia and I room to land next to her. “If you're right, without the heart this place will freeze over.”

“Certainly. I intend to help this city get back on its hooves, so to speak. In fact, it may well be within our best interests to take the Crystal Empire as a protectorate under Equestria,” Celestia decides. Once again, it hits me that I'm practically watching history being written. Heh, I'm more important in Equestria than I ever was at home. “What do you think, Luna?”

“T'would require us to divert troops until such time that they can adequately protect themselves,” Luna reminds her sister. She continues before anypony can protest. “But they art without leadership, and the crystal trade wouldst profit us greatly.”

“Indeed. At the very least, we can care and provide for them,” Celestia finishes. She looks around at all of us, looking for our opinions.

“That sounds good to me,” I respond with a shrug. I'm not one for politics, but I figure that anything that helps Celestia get more influence is worth the effort. If anything, she and Luna have proven that they are sensible and benevolent rulers. You know, since one of them fucking took the time to deal with my bullshit back during my early days in Equestria.

“Oh yes. I'll do anything to help these poor ponies,” Fluttershy agrees eagerly. The others express their agreement as well.

“Excellent. However, I cannot just ignore the city's sudden reappearance,” Celestia states seriously. “It may be a stasis spell similar to the one used to transport Seth to our time, but if so, then why did Sombra choose this time for it to dissipate? Just as Seth arrived in this time as he planned, there must have been some reason for the city to return now.”

“But what if it is just the stasis spell wearing off?” Twilight asks, looking troubled by Celestia's words.

To be fair, I'm feeling a little unsettled by that as well. I haven't really thought about it because Sombra is gone forever, but I never did find out why he sent me to this time. Vanta said Sombra was looking for negative individuals, but I killed him before I could find out why. I'm starting to regret that I didn't grill him for information first.

“Whether it is or is not, I will leave nothing to chance,” Celestia determines sternly. “I will keep our troops stationed here until such time that I am sure there is no malignant intent behind this city's appearance.”

“Princess!” A new voice interrupts our discussion, coming from the other side of the clearing. All of us turn to see Shining Armor and Cadance emerging from a door in the base of one of the tower's legs. Upon seeing her brother, Twilight gasps, letting a bright smile cross her face.

“Brother!” Twilight calls out before Shining Armor can continue addressing Celestia. She runs up to meet him, as Celestia chuckles beside me.

“Twily!” Shining Armor returns her greeting just as enthusiastically, meeting her halfway and giving her a loving nuzzle. He shoots Celestia an apologetic glance, but the princess doesn't seem to mind that much, considering how she's smiling fondly at the display. “Good to see you, sis.”

“You too, Shining Armor,” Twilight responds, pulling back. The next thing does is move over to Cadance. “Cadance!”

The two of them then proceed to do that strange as hell dance that they always do when they see each other...which as always makes me cringe and wonder what the hell those two are smoking.

Finally, Shining Armor approaches Celestia and I. He gives me a light stare, enough to acknowledge my presence, and then he focuses on Celestia. “Princess, we've secured the tower. There's no sign of any hostiles, but we've disabled several traps,” Shining Armor reports. “In addition, we've discovered a library adjoining the throne room, but it's heavily guarded by enchantments. We're working on cracking it now.”

“Good job, Captain,” Celestia responds officially. Next to Shining Armor, Twilight's eyes grow as wide as dinner plates, and then she smiles widely and practically starts bouncing in place out of excitement.

“A LIBRARY!?” Twilight exclaims, her voice rising in pitch to practically a squeak. “Princess, may I help in working through the enchantments? There might be something in there about the Crystal Heart!”

“Of course. In fact, why don't you take Spike and do just that?” Celestia replies with a knowing smile.

Spike gives Celestia a look that clearly says, “really?” right before Twilight picks him up with her magic and dashes to the door with excitement. “Oh, thank you, princess! Let's go, Spike!” Twilight declares, and then she gallops into the tower. Seconds later, she pokes her head back out sheepishly. “Um...which way is the library?”

“I'll go with you,” Cadance promises her. She first looks at Celestia. “Is that alright?”

“Go on. I know you're just as excited to see what's inside as Twilight is,” Celestia remarks, indicating the door with her head. Cadance grins and gallops off to go join Twilight as well. “Is there anything more to your report, Captain?”

“Just that we're giving it another look. The tower seems to have too few rooms in comparison to the size of this tower. We believe there may be hidden passages,” Shining Armor reveals. I wouldn't be surprised myself if that were the case.

“I see. In that case, I want you to keep me posted on your findings. Dismissed, Captain,” Celestia responds. Shining Armor nods and departs without saying a word to any of the rest of us. I guess he's busy. Not like he wants to talk to me anyway. I'm lucky I even got a look out of him. “Now then, I suppose you are all wondering what to do.”

“Yeah. Right now it looks like we're just waiting around,” Rainbow comments.

“We're just waiting on standby until something happens, right?” I determine. By that, I mean we're just waiting around until Twilight finds out something in the library. “Besides, if there's nothing wrong, there's no reason for us to be here.”

“That is true. At the very least, I would like you all to stay for at least a week. If by then no threat rears its head, I will assume that the Crystal Empire is safe, and I will send you all home,” Celestia compromises.

“That's reasonable, I suppose,” Rarity decides, nodding her head. “Where should we stay in the meantime? I'm afraid we weren't given much time to pack before leaving Ponyville.”

“Hm. I believe there is some room in the Crystal Tower, if you would like,” Celestia offers. “I have appropriated most of the rooms for my soldiers, but there should be enough room for you all to have your own rooms.”

“Okay good. But before that, can we eat? I'm starving and didn't have breakfast!” Rainbow complains, her stomach letting out an obnoxious growl. You know, she has a point. I'm feeling a little hungry now myself. I don't think I've eaten since the party last night.

“Ah agree. After today, ah feel like ah could eat fer days!” Applejack expresses. Celestia chuckles when she sees that all of us are essentially in agreement.

“Fair enough. In that case, feel free to go to any of the military camps and ask for a meal. They will prepare one for you if you tell them I sent you,” Celestia informs us. “Thank you again for all of your help.”

“It was no trouble, princess,” Rarity assures her. She and Pinkie are the first to start strolling away, heading to where the nearest camp is. Fluttershy and Applejack follow her close behind, leaving Rainbow and I alone with Celestia.

We're not alone for long. Just as I'm about to leave with Rainbow, Captain Gale returns by herself, landing on the crystal street and moving to meet Celestia. “Princess! I have an urgent report,” Gale calls out. Rainbow and I halt, turning around curiously to see what the Stealth Corps has to say.

“Proceed, Captain,” Celestia answers promptly, moving to meet Gale without wasting any time. “What have you found?”

“When we returned to do a sweep as you commanded, we discovered a surprising lack of activity in the Crystal Mountains,” Gale reveals. Uh oh. This doesn't sound good. “We believe the necromancer is on the move. The caverns in the mountains are completely devoid of undead. I even sent in scouts to confirm this.”

“You told me those cave systems were filled with undead,” Celestia states, looking alarmed.

“Hordes of them. I believe you can understand my haste to deliver you this message,” Glare confirms, her eyes narrowed. “It might be prudent to prepare for battle.”

“Hold on,” I interrupt, because the necromancer they're talking about is likely the one I saw in the ruins of my college. Celestia and Gale look at me in surprise, not expecting me to butt in. “Celestia, can you still sense the necromancer?”

Celestia pauses, and then she closes her eyes. It only takes her a second before she opens them again. “I can. Its exact location is uncertain, but I can feel it...” Celestia suddenly freezes mid sentence. “It's gone. I cannot sense it anymore.”

“What? How is that possible?” I gasp, suddenly starting to get worried. If she can't sense it, then we have no idea where it's going or if it's going to attack.

“I do not know. I have never been unable to sense a being with power such as that,” Celestia responds anxiously, looking uncertain for the first time since I've met her. Her eyes suddenly narrow, and when she next speaks, it's in a voice as hard as steel. “I will prepare for the worst. Captain, I want you to spread this message to the other captains and commanders. Double the patrols on the perimeter, and increase security on the interior. If the caverns are empty, then I believe they are using the underground.”

“Understood. Anything else?” Gale responds with a nod of affirmation.

“Tell Gilded Skies to relocate all of his airships to the Crystal Tower, and then make sure each camp has an escape route to the Crystal Tower. We will escape from there if the worst case scenario occurs, and we cannot defeat them,” Celestia continues. I blink, and then my eyes widen. She's laying out a retreat plan just in case? What the hell is she scared of? Or is she just being thorough? My thoughts are cut off when Celestia turns her head to me. “You sensed animosity from this necromancer towards you in particular, did you not?”

“That's right. I could practically feel it,” I stammer, not used to seeing this side of Celestia.

“Stay on your guard. Should we fall under attack, I will be depending on you to protect the civilians, including Rainbow Dash and her friends,” Celestia warns me. I gulp nervously.

“You don't have to tell me to do that,” I promise, flashing my gaze briefly to Rainbow.

“That is all. The both of you are dismissed. I have other preparations to make,” Celestia orders. Gale nods and takes to the sky to spread Celestia's orders. I step back as well, noticing Celestia move to speak with her sister. “Luna, can you rally your personal guard? The two of us may have to go into battle once more.”

“Of course, dear sister...” Luna says, and then the two of them move out of earshot.

Rainbow and I are left alone for the first time since this morning. Rainbow immediately moves over to me, looking worried. Of course, she heard all of that as well. “Are we gonna get attacked?” Rainbow asks. I sigh and shrug.

“I don't fucking know. I have no idea what's going on anymore. Just as I thought this was just a simple spell wearing off, now it turns out that fucking necromancer is moving,” I tell her, frustrated and anxious. “And now Celestia can't even tell where it is.”

“Maybe it's not going to attack us. Maybe it's headed somewhere else?” Rainbow suggests hopefully. I scoff, unsure if I should trust that kind of thing to luck. “Maybe...ugh, I'm too hungry to think about this. Can we eat first, and then worry about dead things?”

“Yeah, I'll agree to that. The last thing I want to do is go into battle against undead on an empty stomach,” I respond with a dark chuckle. “Let's go. The others are far ahead of us.”

“Are we going to tell them? About the undead, I mean,” Rainbow inquires as the two of us leave the clearing beneath the tower and follow the path the others took.

“Maybe not everything. I don't want to freak them out. But we should definitely warn them. That way they'll be ready to move if necessary,” I decide. Rainbow nods in agreement.

With that, the two of us move down the streets towards the nearest military camp. I can see other members of the Stealth Corps flying through the air, spreading the message of the possible impending attack.

Hell, I should have fucking known that this wouldn't be that simple.

Author's Note:

Well now, is the plot finally starting? Maybe. I don't know. Depends on how off track I get when I write this stuff. I'm lying. It's going to happen soon, though definitely not in the way you all expect. I can guarantee you that.

In addition, I finally have some artwork. It's not custom, but it's better than the image I stole off of the wikia. It'll serve as a placeholder until such time that I get some custom.

Okay, so after writing this chapter, I found my old story outline that I threw together when I first thought of writing this story. It's a bit...uh...different than what the story is now. Then again, I have a ton of dumb things that didn't make it into the story. I'm considering posting a special chapter for chapter 100 that has all of that put down for you all to laugh at. What do you all think?

Thanks again to Triage for editing this, and make sure to leave your comments and tell me what you think!

PreviousChapters Next