• Published 27th Feb 2014
  • 3,719 Views, 162 Comments

My Guardian Angel - RandomHamster33



Ever since her childhood, Pinkie Pie has had a guardian angel.

  • ...
6
 162
 3,719

Surprise Reprise

Hi. My name is Surprise.

You may think you know me . . . but you're wrong. I have a story to tell, and I intend to tell it.

I'm going to tell you what happened. I'm going to tell you everything.


The sun shines brightly down on the small Equestrian town of Moonlight. It's a peaceful town, full of cheerfully smiling ponies and pegasi fluttering high in the sky. Two certain mares, one pink and another white, speed around each other. The pink one races about in flashes of blue, easily outpacing the other.

“Firefly, wait up! I'm not that fast!” I yell, my purple eyes trying to keep track of the speedy pegasus.

Firefly comes screeching to a halt, her mane whipping out in front of her, tail flying up around her body. She wipes a bit of sweat off her brow and blinks at me, a smirk on her face.

“Surprise, you're no fun to hang with when you're so slooow,” Firefly complains. Her wings beat a slower rhythm than mine, which are practically buzzing.

Firefly is a pink pegasus with violet eyes and a curly blue mane and tail. Her cutie mark is two shining lightning bolts matching the color of her mane.

Our two sets of purple eyes meet and she cracks a smirk. “Ya know I'm just kiddin'.”

“Yeah, I know.” We share a laugh. “Hey, it's almost three. We have to meet the others later for lunch. You don't want to be late again, do you?” I ask, chuckling.

Firefly waves a pink hoof at me. “It's all good. I'm too fast to be late.”

I sigh. “Right, just like when you were twenty minutes late to Sparkler's picnic the other day.”

“Heh, heh, well . . .” She rubs the back of her head, her tail flicking a few times behind her.

“That's what I thought.” I turn around and begin flying away. “Race you!” I take off, hoping to get her to come after me. It works.

“You're so on!” she yells, speeding past me in a blur of pink and blue. I laugh as my mane and tail whip around me. I pick up the pace, wings flapping.

A few minutes later, we arrive. Though Firefly has been there for a good minute, idly examining her hooves in order to not brag.

“Let's go in, shall we?” I ask, fluttering down to the ground. She swoops down next to me, a pink feather or two shedding from her wings.

“Yep,’s go,” Firefly agrees. She lets me in first. We're at a little place called The Pudding Cup. It's pretty much where all the cool fillies hang out. Inside, brown tables with cream colored chairs are set up in strategic places around the business. The floor is the same color scheme, the pattern checkered. In the far left corner are our friends.

Twilight glances up, catching us in her violet eyes. She waves a pink hoof, beckoning us to come over.

“They're here,” the white maned unicorn announces loudly. I can hear her voice, even though it's a busy day in here.

“Ooh, finally,” Sparkler sighs, wiggling her flanks in her chair. Her back legs are crossed over one another. The sky blue unicorn runs a hoof through her lavender and red forelock that twirls in several loops around her head. She flutters her eyelashes at us as Posey and Applejack look over as well.

“I'm glad you're finally here,” Posey says. She's a small earth pony with a yellow coat and short pink mane. An earthy green bow sits at the base of her tail.

“Fin'lly. Seems like we've been waitin' forever!” Applejack declares, jabbing an orange hoof into the air. Her blonde mane cascades down her neck in a gentle curl, her tail doing the same on the ground below her. Freckles adorn her cheeks and nose.

“We aren't even late, hold your water,” Firefly retorts. She holds her head high as she strolls confidently over.

“Calm, 'fly. Just relax,” Twilight says, waving a hoof nonchalantly.

“Go read something.” We sit down at the two empty seats. I'm beside Firefly and Sparkler and on the other side of Firefly is Posey.

“So, what's up ladies? Anything new?” I ask. I brush a curl out of my face as I lean back in my chair.

“Well, I read this thing about—”

Firefly quickly stuffs a hoof in Twilight's mouth, stopping her. “Please don't.”

The unicorn yanks the pink hoof away from her face. “Rude.”

Quickly, Sparkler lights her horn in a dark blue aura and she pulls something out of her bags, which are sitting on the ground next to her.

“Ooh, Surprise, I know you've been seeking some extra bits to help pay for a new apartment, and I saw something great that maybe you'd like to do!” the cyan unicorn declares, her voice high and excited. She places a piece of paper down on the table in front of me.

My eyes scan the text.

The Cherry Ring is now hiring! A delivery pony is needed for the night shift. Work hours are eleven P.M. to six A.M. Pay is $12.60 an hour. Apply at the Cherry Ring, downtown Moonlight on Manestreet.

“Oh, wow, Sparkler! That's great pay!” I exclaim, voice high. “But the Cherry Ring? I don't know, it's a more adult place.”

“But you'll just be the delivery mare. Pick up the food and stuff, then bring it to the pony's house. Collect the bits, done. That easy,” the unicorn says with a nonchalant wave of her polished hoof.

“I guess. I'm just nervous about that kind of thing.”

“That's perfectly fine. You don't have to take the job if you don't want to. It was just something I'd picked up when I was out last night.” She levitated her drink in her magic and took a sip.

“That's awfully nice of you, Sparkler. Thanks.” I roll up the flyer and stick it in my curly mane. “I think I'll check it out later.”


I'm standing outside of the The Cherry Ring, apprehension making my pelt crawl. I subtilely twitch my hooves in the dirt, looking down. Should I, or should I not? I need the bits—not only to move out of my parent’s house, but to have a bit of responsibility. I'm kind of a lazy pony sometimes, and a bit messy.

So if I were to get a full time job, I could afford to pay the rent and all that other junk.

“Well, it's now or never,” I mumble, bracing myself as I pad forward. The inside is dim and there's music playing, but it's not too loud. A bar sits along one wall and ponies of all kinds are sitting there. I cautiously trot up to the front desk and see a young cream colored pegasus, about 21, with her messy maroon hair tied back in a bun.

“H-hi,” I greet her. She glances up at me from where she is writing in a reservation book with eyes the same color as her mane.

"Hello. Would you like a table?” she asks me.

“Oh, no. I'd like a job application please. I'm here for the delivery mare position.” I see her eyes light up quickly and she digs in the lower parts of the desk. She returns with the paper in her mouth. I take it from her grasp.

“Thanks,” I say.

The pegasus picks up her pen once more. “No problem.” She begins writing. I watch her for a slight moment before turning away, application in my hoof.


“I got the job!”

Sparkler clops her hooves together, eyes bright. “Darling, I'm so glad you did! I knew it'd be fine,” the unicorn goes on.

“Heheh, yeah. The manager really seems to like me. I also met a new friend. Here name’s Cherry Piper. She's the one who gave me the application when I first went in.”

“Oh, that's great.” I can't help but roll my eyes as Sparkler unattaches herself from the conversation, now only concerned in her mane, which she’s doing in the mirror. We’re inside her house, which she's transformed into a salon on the first floor.

“Uh huh. Well, I'm gonna go. Don't wanna be late for my first day of work, now do I?” I quip as I stroll towards the door. She hums in response, fluffing her red and violet curls with her hoof. I exit her salon—which she's dubbed as Mane Sparks—and take off into the air. The air is getting slightly cool as the sun’s warmth leaves the earth. Stars glitter idly above my head, the moon shining brighter than any of them. I allow a smile to flicker across my face.

“Hey, Surprise,” I hear a voice call as I land. I look around to see Cherry Piper walking from The Cherry Ring.

“Oh, hey, Piper,” I greet, calling her by the name she prefers—since she doesn't like the same names of her and our place of work. I fold in my wings. “Why are you leaving so early? I thought you had the night shift on odd days.”

She shrugs. “I got the night off—Mimi is taking my spot as of now.” Piper flicks her flowing tail casually. “Have fun on your first night.” She spreads her wings and flits off, vanishing into the low layer of clouds. I watch her go for a moment. Then I face forward and trot inside. The lighting is the same and nothing seems out of place. Although it does seem more subdued then last Saturday, when I came in for the interview. Mondays. I shake my head as I think of all the ponies who hate it.

“Surprise! There you are,” comes a voice. My boss, Snow, comes towards me from her office—that's the manager’s office—and she looks stressed, sky blue eyes wide.

“Oh, hi,” I reply.

“Quick! I know you're new and all, but I've got a delivery for you.” She uses her magic to place a small scrap of paper in my hoof. “We just got this huge order and they say the faster we get it there, the better.”

I blink at her words. “A-are you sure I have to do it?”

“Of course!” she declares. I flinch back. Seeing the look on my face, she softens. “Look, dear, I apologize. I'm just worried. Why having a party on Monday is a good idea, I don’t know, but it was dropped on us last minute. We’ve prepared the food and it’s ready to go. We’ll load your bags and you just go to the address, get paid, and leave.”

I nod quickly, swallowing. “Yeah, okay. I get it. Seems simple enough.” I give her a weak smile.

Snow pats me on the back. “That's the spirit! Come now—we've got some delivery bags for you.” She turns and trots off, hooves clopping on the floor. I follow swiftly after.


I’ve been working my job for nearly a year now. I'd gotten my own apartment, and even a pet hamster! His name is Almin, and I swear, his sole purpose in life is to annoy me out of my own place of residence. That chewing that goes on all night long (well, when I'm home, at least)! It'll drive me batty. Anyways, as of right now, I'm getting ready to go to work. After my first day on the job, I'd gotten a uniform to wear—a shirt with the name of the restaurant and a hat that matched it—along with the saddlebags. I place my hat on my head of curly hair and make sure my official name tag is properly set. I spare a glance over at Almin’s cage—it's really big. I can't lie; I've spoiled him.

“Alright, I'm off to work. See you in the morning, hammy!” I declare as I turn to walk out the door. He doesn't respond—he’s most likely eating—if I listen carefully, I can hear the nearly nonexistent noise of him chewing on a kernel of corn or sunflower seed.

I trot down the street with a spring in my step. My wings bounce along at my sides—I have no want to use them. I live fairly close to my place of work. Kicking a small rock that's in my path, I turn down another street and see The Cherry Ring up ahead. I stroll in the front doors.

Piper is waving off a young couple. Her voice is cheery and bright, and as she sees me, her smile becomes really genuine and she waits for me to approach her.

“Hello, coworker,” the cream coated pegasus teases.

“Hiyah, Pipey!” I greet.

She narrows her eyes playfully at me. “Touché.”

I laugh, “So, busy tonight?”

“Yeah, of course. It is Friday, after all.” She rolls her eyes as I head towards the employee’s room. “You ask me that every day.”

“Just wondering!” I yell back. I hear a snort of amusement from her and I walk into the room. I clock in and go to the kitchens, where another coworker, Fox, is waiting.

“Hi, Surprise,” he says to me.

“Hi, Fox,” I say with a smile. “What's here for delivery?”

He points a red hoof to a few styrofoam containers. “Those need to be delivered to the outskirts of town.”

“What are you going to take?” I ask.

Fox jerks his head back towards the kitchen. “Raspberry’s bringing me out an order.”

I nod. “Alright. Well, I'll just load up and be on my way.” I situate the containers of food in my company saddlebags and look at the address listed. It is located outside of town. I don't think I've ever been that far out. I shrug to myself and set off.

Author's Note:

Birthday update!!!! Also, yes, there were a lot of time jumps, but there always is.

Stay tuned~