• Published 27th Feb 2014
  • 3,719 Views, 162 Comments

My Guardian Angel - RandomHamster33



Ever since her childhood, Pinkie Pie has had a guardian angel.

  • ...
6
 162
 3,719

'Mane'ly Luck

I sigh, letting my head droop sadly. My mane loses a bit of its usual spunk and falls lower, nearly touching the dirt. Of course I messed up. If only I had any idea what to do. I have no shelter. No food. No money. Nothing. . .

"Hello? Darling, are you okay?" a voice says from behind me. I raise my head and look around. Behind me is a stunningly beautiful mare, around sixteen or seventeen. She wears a light purple top with a collar that's turned up slightly against the wind that had started up once the sun went down, along with a pair of dark fashion sunglasses propped up on her head, behind her horn. A set of saddlebags that match her shirt are sitting on her back, seemingly stuffed full of supplies.

"I'm fine. I just don't have anywhere to stay tonight," I respond, my voice sad.

"Oh, I'm sorry." The white mare casts her gaze somewhere else. I turn away again. Next thing I know, she's right next to me. "What's your name?"

"Pinkie Pie." I stand up a bit straighter. "Yours?"

"Rarity Belle, but you can just call me Rarity." She smiles at me. I return it, feeling my usual cheery mood returning.

"Well hiyah Rarity! What are you doing out here?" It has to be around midnight. I can understand why I'm out here, but a gorgeous young mare like herself? Why is she out on a cool night like today?

"Oh, that," she says. "I was just getting back from Canterlot."

"Ooh, Canterlot? Ponies say that place is huge!" I exclaim, my eyes rolling around in my head.

Rarity giggles, putting one amazingly polished hoof to her mouth. "Is it ever! It was my first time on business. I'm a designer, you see."

"Cool! I bet your outfits are amazing, Rarity!"

"Why thank you, Pinkie Pie. It means a lot." She gave me a small smile. "Say, since you don't have anywhere to stay, why don't you come with me to my place? I have plenty of space."

"Oh, I don't know. I wouldn't want to intrude."

"Nonsense!"

"I'd feel like I'm using you. ."

"Now, darling, you are going to stay at the boutique tonight! No ifs, ands, or buts about it." She starts trotting off, her hooves lifting high in the air with each step. She definitely looks like a fashion star. With slight reluctance, I go after her. She's older, and therefore taller than I am. Her mane is beautifully curled, while mine is just puffy and all over the place. For a moment, I feel self-conscious, but it quickly passes.

"So, Pinkie Pie, darling, where are you from?" Rarity asks.

"Oh, just a little town, about fifty miles from Ponyville," I respond. "It wasn't really big enough to have its own name. Most of us just called it the 'Town.'"

"Why'd you come to Ponyville?"

"I wasn't happy there. I wanted to make a name for myself. Not a big name, like a celebrity or anything, just so ponies know me."

"You know, Pinkie, I think your dreams are fairly close to what mine are. I've always wanted to move to Canterlot and become a star. It's been my dream for as long as I can remember." Rarity's eyes shine in the stars above, the brilliant sapphire glinting. "I hope to achieve that goal some day."

"I hope you become a star, Rarity."

"Thank you. Oh, there's Carousal Boutique!" Her gaze lights up and she hurries towards it, leaving me struggling to keep up at the sudden increase in speed. I've always had rather short legs, and I can see that the unicorn's in front of me are long and thin. That's why I often hop places. I begin my swift jumping and catch up to Rarity.

Her establishment is a house and business all in one. Her living quarters are upstairs on the second floor and the first is where her customers are allowed. It's like SugarCube Corner.

"Welcome to my boutique!" Rarity coos as we trot in the door, the bell above ringing.

"It's so amazing!" I squeal. Everything, from her decor to the outfits hanging on mannequins and racks, is glorious.

"Thank you, Pinkie. Although I'm not sure you'll say the same about upstairs." She goes towards a door and we head up the steps. As soon as we reach the top, I see many boxes and generally just clutter.

"I'm still unpacking. I haven't gotten the chance, with me going to Canterlot. I just bought this place. Not quite finished yet." She levitates a few boxes out of the way of a door and strains to push it open. She manages to get a small portion open and then moves the boxes to the side. She slides in and I follow.

"Here you go, dear. Don't mind the stuff in the corner. This is going to be my little sister's room when she gets here. The guest room is actually packed full, so you'll have to stay in here. I hope that's not a bother," Rarity says. There's a medium sized bed with a green comforter on it, along with an array of pillows in all shapes and sizes.

"It's absolutely fine, Rarity! You're already being so generous. I couldn't ask for more. Thank you," I say to her, giving her a quick hug. She pats me on the back and gives me a smile.

"You're welcome. I'm just glad you like it."

"And don't worry, I should be out of here tomorrow. I just need to get a job and a place to stay."

"You stay as long as you need. I just ask you don't have any parties." We share a laugh and she begins to turn around. "Well, goodnight. The bathroom's down the hall on the left."

"Thanks! Goodnight!" I give her a small wave as she leaves and closes the door behind her. As soon as she's gone I turn off the light and hop into the bed. It's really soft and I fall asleep almost instantly.


The sound of birds singing wakes me up. I blearily blink open my eyes and sit up, the sheets clutched in my hooves. I yawn and push myself out of bed, falling onto the floor. As I wearily drag myself out of the room, I hear Rarity downstairs. I smile and head for the restroom with a towel draped over my back and a bottle of shampoo I quickly grab from my saddlebags. Entering the bathroom, I turn on the light and take a quick shower. The water feels good on my fur. As soon as I'm done, I shake my droopy mane and tail, water splattering everywhere, and my hair springs up into its usual style. I quickly get ready and compose myself and head downstairs. Rarity's working at her sewing machine.

"Good morning!" I call out with a wave. She says a quick 'morning' and continues with her work. There are bags under her eyes and I realize she hasn't slept all night. I stop and walk backwards towards her. "Have you stayed up all night?" She mumbles something and I sigh. "You have to sleep, silly! No new friend of mine will do that to themselves on my watch!"

"I got work to do. . ." Rarity sighs, hooves working almost mechanically. I look with doubt at her.

"Work can wait, can't it?"

"No, Pinkie Pie, it can't. Now, if you'd please just let me work." She sounds grouchy, but I don't blame her. I slowly walk towards the door, casting a single, sad glance back at her, but continue on my way.

Today's gonna be a good day. Yeah, good day. I'm trotting down Main Street when I see SugarCube Corner. As I'm about to look away, I see a sign in the window.

NOW HIRING

I leap in the air, hooves flailing, and take off. Perfect!

"Oh, the perfect job for me, the perfect job for me~" I sing, bouncing in through the doors. I land at the counter, stopping. I ring the bell once when there's nopony there. The blue mare appears, her smile bright.

"Oh, hello, again!" she says, chipper.

"Hi! I'm here about the job?" I give her a somewhat sheepish smile.

"Oh, yes! We just lost our only employee yesterday. She'd been unhappy for a while and quit out of the blue. Sad, to see her go."

What a coincidence. Well, not my problem! "So, um, do you need information or something?"

"Oh, yes! Right." The mare slides a few papers over the counter. "If you'd just fill these out."

"Okie-dokie-lokie!" I bounce off to an open table. I dig a pen from my mane and begin filling in the information. My name, easy, gender, easy, my birthday-- easy peezy! When I get to the medical page, I slow down with my writing. I'd never thought about this. What if my schizophrenia makes me unqualified for the job? I mean, I can bake and do anything like that just as good, or even better, than other ponies. I know I have to be honest, so I check the 'mental' under the "Illnesses" section and on the line under it, I write--very carefully-- the name of my disease. It'd always been a hard one to spell. I quickly finish the rest, like the medicine I rarely ever take but am required to list, and sign my name on the bottom. I'm about to get up when I realize there is another page. I shuffle the papers to see it and begin to read. When I finish, I grin widely. If I get this job, I'll have a place to live! It's all part of my contract.

I trot up to the mare behind the counter and set the papers there. The mare takes them and gives each one a brief glance. I wait in anticipation as she skims them. When she gets to the one with my medical needs on it, she furrows her brow. I gulp, my forehead getting sweaty.

"Well, I'll need to talk it over with my husband, but I think you look like a very skilled young mare," she says with a smile on her face. I let out a breath I didn't know I'd been holding and nod.

"Thank you," I sigh in content. She smiles and turns around to walk into the kitchen.


"Pinkie Pie?" I hear. I recognize it as the owner and am over to the counter in a second.

"Yes?" I ask, my heart beating rapidly.

The orange stallion that I saw yesterday at the counter exchanges a glance with his wife. "We've looked over your paperwork, and we decided that we'll hire you."

"Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you! You won't be disappointed! I Pinkie Promise!" I yell, doing the motions swiftly.

"But we'll need to discuss your schizophrenia in more detail before you can begin," the blue mare adds.

"Of course. I understand, I mean." Ears slightly drooped back on my skull, I sigh.

"Will you meet with us after work hours?"

"Yes, definitely."

"Oh, and by the way, I'm Mrs. Cake, and this is my husband, Mr. Cake."


I enter the establishment and see the Cakes waiting for me. I follow them upstairs and we sit down in their living room. I fold my hooves on my lap politely to resist touching everything.

"So, Pinkie Pie, about your schizophrenia," Mr. Cake starts.

"What do you need to know?" I ask.

"Is is bad? Do you have fits, or freak out?" Mrs. Cake asks.

"No, never. I haven't done that since I was small. I've got it completely under control. I mean, yes, I do see, uh, things, every once in a while. But there's really nothing to worry about."

"What kind of things?"

"Well, I always see this one pony. Her name is Surprise. She says she's my guardian angel. That's mostly it, but sometimes I feel like something's watching me. That's pretty much the extent of it. Like, if I don't take my medication for a long time, I'll get really angry or something, but that never happens, either."

"So it wouldn't affect your working?" Mr. Cake asks. I shake my head.

"Good. Well, if that's it, Pinkie Pie, I think you're going to be a great employee," Mrs. Cake says. She shakes my hoof and so does her husband. All the while, I'm grinning.


"Have a good night, Mr. and Mrs. Cake!" I cry as I trot out of the shop. I decide to take a night out on the town, as a little treat for me successfully working at SugarCube Corner for three months. I visit Rarity often, but sometimes she's busy. I never see Fluttershy. I've made friends will everypony in Ponyville now, though. I know everypony, and everypony knows me. I just met a new friend about a week ago, too. . .


"Right. Apples. That's the last thing on my list." I stare down at my shopping list that the Cakes gave me. It was not my first time out shopping for them, but it was my first time visiting the apple stand. I know all the other vendors.

The young orange mare standing behind the booth is wearing a cowboy hat. Her blonde mane is tied into a ponytail, along with her actual tail.

Heh, a double ponytail.

"Howdy, partner!" she greets with a southern accent. "Haven't seen you here before." She tips her Stetson, shadowing part of her face. Her nose is dotted with a few fading freckles, while her cheeks still have very clear ones. She looks as old as Rarity, but actually a little smaller. She must be a year younger than her. Probably closer to my age and Fluttershy's, though the pegasus is older than me by a year.

"Hello," I say, grinning. "I work down at SugarCube Corner. I've only been here a few months--three actually. I think you're one of the only ponies in Ponyville that I haven't met yet. I'm Pinkie Pie."

"'s good to meet ya, Pinkie Pie. Ah'm Applejack." She is leaning heavily against the wood. "Ah'm guessin' there's a reason ya came down to my stand."

"Oh, yeah. I need three bags of apples, please." I drop my bits, ones that I had gotten from the Cakes, onto the wooden box. Applejack quickly sweeps them into a chest with one hoof and reaches down next to her, craning her neck. She lightly tosses three bags onto the counter and looks back at me.

"Here ya go. Need any help carryin' 'em?"

I shake my head. "No, I got it. Thanks, Applejack!" I hit my flank against the wood and the bags bounce and land on my back. I start trotting off, a hop in my step. "I hope we meet again soon!"

"Ah'm hopin' that too, Pinkie Pie!" She waves as I go off.


A little place just on the edge of town is the hottest place in Ponyville. They serve alcoholic drinks, so that's why, if you were wondering. I've never been, but I decided it was time a few days ago.

As I approach, I can already hear the cheering and music playing from within. I tentatively step through the doors, nearly expecting everypony to stare at me. Thankfully, I make it up to the bar without a casualty. I order a cider and am waiting for it when I hear a loud ruckus, scaring me out of my dazed state.

"I win again! In your face!"

The yelling dies a bit as the initial shock wears off. I see a pair of wings, and that's pretty much all. There are too many ponies to see clearly. I grab my cider and jump off the stool, going towards the crowds, then push my way to the front.

A light blue pegasus is arm wrestling with anypony willing to go a round. At first, I'm a bit shocked, but as I finished my drink, I find myself enjoying it more. The little blue mare hits yet another hoof against the bar table, earning a loud cheer from the crowd. I find I'm yelling along, my voice raising high.

"That'll be ten bits," the mare says cockily to the loser, a large stallion. I snicker at how he could lose as he hands her the money. She's demanded a fee if they lose every time. She must be making a lot of money. After around five more rounds, she backs off and shakes her hoof. "I'm done. Barkeep, get me a round of triple ciders!" she yells, one hoof raised in the air as she pushes her way through the crowd.

I smile and follow her, wanting to talk to her. I find her at the bar, downing shot after shot. I plop my flank down in the seat next to her, watching as she finishes.

"Hello!" I yell loudly.

She takes a breath and looks over at me. "Wassup." She spins her chair around to face me. Her mane has all the colors of the rainbow, and is mussed up. Her multicolored tail flicks idly behind her as she gives me a confident grin. I can see she's older than me, too. When she sees my smiling face, she blinks. "If you think the colors mean I'm gay, you can go ahead and leave." She catches a cider tossed at her from the bartender, and takes a long drink.

I shake my head, still smiling. "No, no. I just wanted to talk. I can't help but notice you're new here. Staying in Ponyville long?"

"Just moved in from Cloudsdale." She finishes her drink and tosses it off to the side. I watch.

"Cloudsdale, huh? Sounds cool."

"Yep. But I wanted to know more than just air, so I moved down to Ponyville, got myself a job as captain of the weather team, and here I am, on a celebratory night on the town." She shuffles her wings. "You?"

"I moved from a little town a ways from here to earn a living." I stick out my hoof. "I'm Pinkie Pie. What's your name?"

"Rainbow Dash." She roughly shakes my stuck out appendage and then scratches the back of her head. "It's been nice talking to ya, Pinkie Pie. Hope we see each other again soon. You seem pretty cool." She snaps her tail at me as she spins around, opening her wings and taking flight.

Author's Note:

I heard somewhere that Rarity and Applejack were the oldest, and I think Rarity would be the oldest of the group. Here are the ages so far:

Rarity: 17
Applejack: 16
Fluttershy: 16
Rainbow Dash: 16
Pinkie Pie: 15