• Published 15th May 2014
  • 13,626 Views, 698 Comments

Hello Big Brother - Michael_Ravencroft



It's time to meet big brother, Shining Armor.

  • ...
36
 698
 13,626

A Slight Snag

Twilight was busy setting her luggage down and placing a few items in the dresser drawers, her smile beamed as she recalled the meeting she and Trixie had with Cadance and Shining Armor. Admittedly, Twilight was worried that Shining Armor might not take too kindly to the proud and often abrasive unicorn, but as far as first impressions go, she thought it went well.

That was good start, but Trixie still seemed a bit nervous. Actually, “nervous” might be an understatement right now. But we can work with this. Cadance was her usual self. I knew we wouldn’t have any problems there. Although…given that Shiny knows about Trixie’s…incidents, when dealing with me, I hope we can move past this. It’ll help boost Trixie’s confidence for when we have to deal with the real issue.

Just then she heard the doors to her room suddenly slam open. The loud noise spooked the alicorn Princess and made her fly up to the ceiling, holding onto a chandelier. Twilight dared to look down at the floor, but let out an annoyed sigh upon recognizing the intruder.

“Trixie, you could’ve just knocked on the door. You know, like a normal pony,” said Twilight.

“He hates me,” said Trixie, ignoring Twilight’s statement.

“Who hates you,” she asked.

“Shining Armor, I can see it, Twilight! He wants to throw me out of the Empire and into the frozen wasteland that lies beyond this kingdom’s borders!” Trixie, halting her mini-panic attack, looked around Twilight’s bedroom, admiring the spacious bed, and nice view from her window. “How come your room is bigger than Trixie’s?”

Twilight teleported herself back down to the floor, she then brushed her mane down, pushing some stray strands down from her scare earlier.

“Ignoring the room comment, how exactly do you know Shining Armor hates you?”

Trixie plopped herself on Twilight’s bed, covering her eyes with her right foreleg. “I could see it in his eyes. That’s how.”

“Trixie –”

“I know what I saw!” Trixie yelled. “I’ve been on the road a long time Twilight. In that time I’ve had to develop a keen instinct about how to read another pony. A mare traveling about needs to in order to survive, I can tell when a pony is an easy setup for my shows, or if they’re going to be prone to anger, or when they’re going to cheat me out of bits for one of my shows.”

Twilight sat on her haunches, thinking over what Trixie had said. “Alright, far be it from me to question somepony’s instincts. Pinkie’s proven that more than once,” Twilight shuddered upon recalling the memories of researching her “Pinkie Sense”, “Anyway, you can’t just completely have him figured out from just a short talk with him.”

“Twilight…I don’t want to risk alienating him. Also…I don’t want to risk making him mad at you for taking me in,” said Trixie with a hint of sadness.

Twilight put on a warm smile for Trixie. “You don’t have to worry about that. Just focus on making a connection with him, he’s your brother too. Get to know him a little. If you put forth an effort I promise you that he’ll at least respect that.”

Trixie propped herself up on her forelegs. She averted her gaze for bit before closing her eyes and nodding a yes. Trixie then made her way out, but stopped in the middle of the doorway.

“Um, Twilight?”

“Yes, Trixie?”

“Is there any way we can discuss our room arrangements?”

“Go unpack.”


Later, Trixie and Twilight joined Shining Armor and Cadance in the dining hall. Trixie had never seen such grandeur, the sparkling crystal columns, the hanging banners emblazoned with the crest of the Empire. And of course, the long table that seemed stretch on forever. Near the head of the table there was a balcony, at least a hundred feet tall, and fifty feet wide. It extended into the open a good distance, allowing for a clear view of the Empire for miles around.

Sitting at the table were Shining Armor and Cadance. They weren’t seated in any kind of royal, throne-like chairs. They were simply seated in normal chairs like the ones that lined the table on both sides. There was an assortment of dishes, quite possibly delicacies of the Empire. The two sisters then trotted to the other side of the table and sat in the chairs across from the Prince and Princess. They shared some greetings and small talk before starting to eat.

Twilight and Cadance noticed a strong silence within the room. Both alicorns shifted their gazes between Trixie and Shining Armor as they watched them, neither one really making eye contact with other. It was starting to get a bit annoying.

“So, Trixie, enjoying yourself in the Empire so far,” asked Cadance, breaking the silence.

The azure mare snapped her head up, “What – Oh yes, yes I am.”

“Although, we did have a bit of an incident on the way here,” added Twilight.

Shining Armor stopped mid slice of his food and looked to Twilight with a quirked eyebrow.

“What kind of ‘incident’?”

“It’s nothing, really.” Trixie assured.

“Saving a mare and her foal is hardly what I would call ‘nothing’.”

Trixie shot Twilight a death glare, while said purple alicorn merely smirked. Cadance had been taking a sip of tea from her cup and Shining Armor had some food in his mouth when Twilight dropped that bombshell. One nearly choked, and the other spat out the contents within their mouth. After regaining their composure, both the Prince and Princess stared at the mares with wide eyes.

“What, when?” asked Shining Armor.

Trixie clamped up, her normally boisterous and prideful persona was giving way to her sheepish and timid side. Twilight had seen this side before, but only after taking some time to chisel away at that stage persona. Right now though, she needed to get Shining Armor to see that she was indeed a good mare, so she told them what happened.

“A little bit before we arrived at the palace. One of the crystal pillars broke apart. There was a mare and foal that were about to be crushed by the debris, but Trixie used her magic to stop it from crushing them to death. The mare and foal got away but, for some reason, Trixie lost her hold on the debris and I had to save Trixie.”

“I didn’t lose my hold on it! I had a good grip, but something snapped against my magic! Honestly it felt like I had somepony hit me over the head with metal pipe, I still have a throbbing in the back of my head,” said Trixie as she rubbed the back of her head.

“Please tell me you told the Guards,” asked Shining.

“Yes,” answered Trixie.

“Cadance, remind me to have a talk with Clear Skies about getting important information like that to us, ASAP!”

The pink alicorn nodded her head promptly, agreeing that they should have been notified about his kind of thing quickly. But there was one thing that Cadance did notice. Shining Armor had the slightest grin when he looked at Trixie. The Princess of Love knew her husband well, and she knew that that little grin was his silent way of saying he approved of her actions, and was a bit impressed.

“Not bad, Trixie,” said Shining Armor.

The azure mare reacted as if she was physically struck. She never thought she’d hear Shining Armor actually compliment her.

“Um, thank you, Shining Armor.”

Twilight and Cadance looked across the table and gave each other a little wink.


Lunch passed fairly quickly, so Cadance suggested that they should tour the palace to walk off the meal. Although they had a little success during lunch, there was still a great divide between Trixie and Shining Armor. Both the mare and stallion kept to the far sides of the hall, with Twilight and Cadance stuck in the middle.

Twilight had seen much of the palace before, but for Trixie she was acting like herself from when they first arrived. Kind of giddy and curious about everything she was seeing in the palace.

“Oh Twilight, there was something we wanted to show you. We discovered it a little bit after we started to take residence within the
Crystal Palace,” said Cadance.

“Really, what did you find?”

“Cadance, maybe we shouldn’t discuss this right now,” suggested Shining Armor, nudging his head in Trixie’s direction.

“Oh hush Shiny, it’s not like there’s anything in there that’s harmful.”

Trixie and Twilight were both visibly confused about what they were talking about. Instead of telling, Cadance decided to show them. The group of four trotted down various hallways till they arrived at a door, one that Trixie could tell that not even Twilight recognized.

“This place was discovered while we were preparing for the Flag Bearer tryouts,” said Cadance.

“What is it,” asked Twilight as she nudged the door open.

“King Sombra’s private study,” answered Shining Armor.

“WHAT!!?” Twilight and Trixie shouted in unison.

Trixie may have not been there for when her half-sister and her friends encountered the dark unicorn, but she had heard enough stories to know that King Sombra was the most evil of unicorns, a heart as black as night, wielding dark magic so powerful that Princess Celestia and Princess Luna had to work together to defeat him. Trixie also knew, from what she gathered from the Crystal Ponies, that the stallion was a tyrant of the worst sort.

As the door opened up, the room immediately lit. The modest door belayed the actual size of the room. The room was split into two levels; the bottom level had a table with all sorts of concoctions, opened books with notes scribbled off to the sides on small sheets of parchment. Magical circles were drawn onto different parts of the table, one was red, another aquamarine, and the last was violet, each one containing a different set of runes. Along one side of the wall was a bookshelf, containing grimores, esoteric spell books, and other sources of knowledge. The upper level was a continuation, with a staircase that helped facilitate ponies who couldn’t teleport to the upper platform. The upper shelf ringed around the room. Off to the side was a luxurious couch and fireplace, it was quite the nice setup for a dark tyrant king.

Twilight and Trixie blinked a few times, this couldn’t really be King Sombra’s study.

“You’re joking, you’re joking, right?” asked Trixie in deadpan voice.

“No, this really is King Sombra’s study,” affirmed Shining Armor.

Twilight didn’t enter yet, her previous experience with Sombra made her weary to enter anyplace that he may have roamed.

“We swept it for booby-traps, Twilight, there’s nothing to set off, no illusionary doorways, no endless staircases, and no scary black, jagged crystals jutting from anywhere in the room.” To emphasize her point, Cadance strode into the room, eliciting a twin gasp from the sisters. “See.”

Twilight and Trixie gingerly entered the sanctum of the former tyrant king. Trixie could already see Twilight fidgeting, books that contained magical knowledge, especially ones that had been lost for a thousand years, made Twilight very excited, but the stigma that they once belonged to Sombra made her keep from opening one.

“This isn’t at all what I imagined King Sombra’s private study to look like,” commented Trixie.

“What’d you expect? Skeleton’s hanging from the walls? Jars full of dissected organs? Or maybe you thought there’d be forbidden
spells written on the wall in blood?” Shining Armor asked.

Twilight turned green at the thought of discovering such a sight. Cadance shot her husband a piercing glare. She knew what he was up to, trying to see if Trixie would flinch or seem disappointed that there wasn’t any of the macabre spells or forbidden magicks for her to gleam.

Trixie, thankfully didn’t seem to catch on to Shining’s ploy, instead she had a sheepish grin on her face. “Well...um...yes, in way. I’ve just heard so many horror stories about King Sombra’s rule that I was kind of curious to see what kind of pony he was, well, I guess it’d be more along the lines of a morbid curiosity.”

“You should see her, she practically worships Nightmare Night!”

“Oh, so Trixie’s a buff when it comes to horror,” asked Cadance, genuinely intrigued.

“Ugh, she’s practically read every horror, murder-mystery, and folklore book in my library. She’s even dragged me to some slasher movies that were playing at the theatre! I swear you get some sadistic pleasure from seeing me scream my head off,” said Twilight indignantly.

Trixie smiled and trotted closer to Twilight, she then draped her foreleg over Twilight’s withers and nuzzled against her cheek. “Pardon if I like Nightmare Night, it was a fun holiday for me when I was a filly. Mostly because I liked telling scary stories to the other orphan foals. And as far as you getting all jumpy, well, what can I say? You’re cute when you’re scared, plus it’s fun seeing you jump out of your coat.”

Twilight groaned, but she didn’t pull away from the sisterly affection Trixie was showing.

Cadance had to bite the inside of her cheek to keep her from letting out a “d’aww”. Then she turned to Shining Armor, whose left eye was visibly twitching as he gazed upon the sight of Trixie nuzzling his little sister. Many a thought raced through his mind, he constantly repeated a reminder that Trixie was their half-sister, there was no need to read into this situation, there was no need to shoot a magical energy ray to divide them, there was no need to grab Trixie and hurl her off the nearest balcony, she had wings, she’d be fine. Wait, she’s a unicorn………She can levitate, she’ll be fine.

After noticing the slight death glare that Shining Armor was giving her, Trixie quickly let go of Twilight and put a considerable amount of empty space between them, chuckling nervously as she did so.

“So, why isn’t this place all evil and dark,” asked Twilight.

“The Crystal Ponies believe that this was from before Sombra succumbed to the darkness. Apparently, before he became king, he was a one of few Crystal Ponies born a unicorn. I’m sure you’ve noticed, but the majority of the ponies in the Crystal Empire are primarily earth ponies.”

Twilight and Trixie nodded.

“They were rare back then as well, since many of the Crystal Ponies didn’t travel very far outside the Empire, there wasn’t much diversity among them. But every so often a pegasus pony or unicorn pony would be born to a couple. They relied mostly on traveling merchants and books to learn their magic and flying techniques,” said Cadance.

“According to some of the Crystal Ponies, Sombra was one of seven highly skilled unicorn mages in service to their queen. Since they were the only ones who could use magic, they were given high status and prestige within the Empire, and were allowed to live within the palace,” added Shining Armor.

Twilight, while perusing the books on the shelf, caught something in the couple’s explanation. “I thought the citizens didn’t like recalling the times when they were under his rule? How come they sound so forthcoming?”

“Guess you can call it therapy. Repressing memories doesn’t really do them any good, it’s part of the Empire’s history, their lives. They can’t repress something that big, it only does harm to them and future generations. Besides, we’ve been able to gather some interesting history from before his rule.”

“Who’s this stallion,” asked Trixie.

The azure mare had splintered off from the group and found her staring at portrait further back in the study. It depicted a unicorn stallion, his coat a brilliant sheen of black diamond, gentle emerald green eyes, and a flowing, well groomed mane. Beside him was a unicorn mare, her coat was like a sparkling ruby, with light pink eyes that rested on the stallion to her right. She seemed intelligent, and lithe, with a happy smile on her face.

Trixie squinted as she read the plate at the bottom of the frame. “‘Sabio the Wise, Seventh Pillar of the Magical Arts.’ and the mare is…’Graza the Elegant, Second Pillar of the Magical Arts.’ That stallion looks a lot like Sombra.”

“That’s because it is him, or rather, what he used to be,” said Cadance.

“Apparently he took the name ‘Sombra’ when he became king. According to the Crystal Ponies, Sabio was a ‘mage of citizens’, constantly looking for new ways to help his fellow Crystal Ponies. You two actually some things in common he was also a bit of a…entertainer…to the foals and citizens, putting on magic shows for their enjoyment.” Shining Armor noticed how Trixie flinched when she heard that part about being an entertainer.

Trixie’s mind flashed back to the memories of when she was possessed by the Alicorn Amulet. Yes she wanted its power to best Twilight, she didn’t lie about that, but she never thought that it would twist her mind and drive mad with power. That’s when the thought entered her mind.

“Are...are you comparing me to Sombra…?”

Twilight noticed the sad tone in her voice and immediately tried to diffuse the situation.

“No, no, Trixie. That’s not what he meant! Right, Shiny?” asked Twilight giving him a sideways glare.

“Um, y-yeah, I was uh, comparing you to who he was before he went all shadowy and dark, you know, Sabio the Wise,” he said nervously.

“……I uh, need to use the little filly’s room,” said Trixie.

She turned from the group and trotted out the door. Twilight quickly went after Trixie, leaving Shining Armor and Cadance alone in the study. The pink alicorn then came up to her husband and smacked him upside the head, barely holding back her alicorn strength.

“OUCH!!!”

“Are you kidding me?! Did you have to say that in front of her like that?” asked Cadance indignantly.

“It’s the truth, what?! He was a bit of a stage performer,” said Shining Armor in his defense.

“Yeah, but you didn’t have to make it sound as if she was Sombra reincarnated! You probably hurt her feelings, Shining!”

“I wasn’t trying to! I just, ugh!” Shining Armor slapped his face with his hooves, dragging them down and groaning the whole time he did
so. “Alright, maybe that was a tad insensitive –”

“A tad?!”

“Okay it was insensitive. I really didn’t mean it though...”

Cadance sighed heavily, “I’m going to go and track them down. Think about how you’re going to apologize to Trixie and maybe I can convince Twilight not to drop kick you between your hind legs.”

Shining Armor watched as his wife left the study; he then let out a long sigh as he scuffed the floor with his hoof.

“Smooth, Armor, real smooth. Why not just call her the embodiment straight to her face, would’ve been more cordial?! Great…now I have to apologize…”


Trixie was making her way down the hall, she didn’t really know where the hall took her, and she just needed some distance from Shining Armor.

“Trixie!”

The azure mare turned her head and saw Twilight cantering towards her. Trixie didn’t really stop walking. She just kept on going despite hearing her half-sister call her name. Eventually Twilight came up next to her, and gave her a concerned look.

“Trixie, you alright?” asked Twilight.

“Yeah, fine, anypony’d be fine after being compared to a dark overlord,” spat Trixie.

“He didn’t mean it. He was just making an observation. I’m sure…”

Trixie stopped and gave Twilight a serious look.

“Oh wake up, Twilight! He practically said he hates me! What more proof do you need!?”

“Look…maybe…maybe he didn’t mean for it to come out that maybe he – oh who am I kidding that was so wrong!” Twilight facehoofed herself and groaned loudly. “I can’t believe he just said that! But, Trixie, we talked about this, we both knew that this wasn’t going to be easy. It’s going to take a while for Shining Armor to accept this whole situation, you know as well I do that this wasn’t going to get settled in less than a day.”

Trixie scoffed, “And you think a week is sufficient? Maybe we aren’t meant to have the same tight bond that you and he have, let’s face it, you two grew up together, we didn’t. You can’t expect us to just click.”

Twilight sighed in frustration, “I don’t expect you to ‘click’. I just want you two to get along. And really, you have to stop being so...so...well, not you!”

Trixie couldn’t help but quirk an eyebrow at that.

“And what do you mean not me?!”

“I mean you aren’t normally this reserved or timid! Where’s the proud Trixie, where’s the brash unicorn mare who made the past year a near living Tartarus for me!?”

“Are you trying to get Trixie mad?

“Yes, see, that! Don’t act like the sister you think he wants to you to be, just be you!”

Trixie grunted and started to walk off, “You don’t understand.”

Twilight furrowed her brow; she quickly got in front of Trixie, making her stare her in the eye.

“What don’t I understand, Trixie?”

“If I were to ‘just be me’ then I’d have to deal with the buried resentment I have for you and him.” Trixie stated.

Twilight blinked.

Seeing that the alicorn wasn’t getting it, Trixie explained. “I’ve mostly gotten over the whole ‘beat Twilight and prove you’re the better daughter’ thing.’ It was a waste of energy anyway. I…I want to have that bond that you and Shining Armor have, I grew up with no one to call brother or sister, not even the other orphaned foals. ’Cause I knew I had a real brother and sister, and I hoped that one day my father would come waltzing in with my big brother in toe and take me away to live with them.”

Twilight felt a stinging sensation in her heart. Now that she thought about it, all those years she spent bonding with Shining Armor, becoming closer, were years that they all three could’ve spent together as well, becoming just as close, forming an even stronger bond than what two ponies shared.

“Sorry, Twilight, one week isn't going to make up for years…”

Trixie didn’t wait for Twilight’s reply. She simply walked around her and left the purple alicorn standing there.

“That seemed bad.”

Twilight’s head snapped up to see Cadance walking towards her with sympathetic eyes.

“Not...too bad,” she replied.

“I’m sorry about that Twilight, I should’ve told you that Shining Armor wasn’t...completely one-hundred percent about meeting Trixie,” said Cadance.

“To be honest, neither was Trixie about him. But she needed this, Cadance. If she can feel accepted by Shiny it’ll help her in the long run.”

Cadance placed a hoof on Twilight’s withers as she looked down at her sister-in-law. “It may not be just Trixie who needs this, Twilight. Shining Armor...” Cadance stopped, wondering if she should tell Twilight about her brother’s inner struggle.

Twilight noted her hesitation and looked up at her curiously. “Cadance...?”

“You know what, never mind. It’s something Shining Armor needs to tell you...”

“Guess we’re both dealing with stubborn ponies, huh,” said Twilight chuckling.

“Pfft, ‘stubborn’ is putting it mildly.”

The sisters-in-law shared a hug, and a giggle or two at the situation that they found themselves in. Thinking that both their respective ponies needed space for now, the two alicorns opted to just meander around the palace, with Twilight regaling Cadance of tales Trixie’s first arrival, and Cadance telling her of all the things they were doing to get ready for the eventual Equestria Games.

Meanwhile, unbeknownst the royals, a thorny, vine-like darkness crept through the crystal walls. It slithered about till it happened upon Sabio the Wise’s study. The black vine shot towards the open door only to halt a mere few inches from the doorway. Magical rune and sigil markings appeared on the floor and around the doorframe, forming a barrier, forbidding entry to darkness.

A low disembodied growl echoed within the hall.