• Published 21st Oct 2011
  • 3,407 Views, 30 Comments

A Broken Rainbow - DragynSpire



Rainbow Dash is trying to put a twist on her famous 'Sonic Rainboom', but something goes wrong.

  • ...
4
 30
 3,407

Night of Love

A Broken Rainbow

Chapter 2

It’s been a week since the surprise party for Rainbow Dash getting out of the hospital. She was staying at Sweet Apple Acres, since she knew there was an open room just for her. Every other day, she had gone to the hospital for her quick checkups, and she is going to one now, not knowing that it is her last checkup, and she won’t have to go near the hospital for a long time.

As Rainbow Dash entered the hospital with her friends, who always came with her to hear the news, the nurse at the front desk wasn’t there. “Now where’d she run off ta? Aint she normally right there at this time?” Applejack, Rainbow’s once closest friend, now lover, asked.

“Hmm… Maybe there was something she had to do today?” Twilight Sparkle, the unicorn that brought all the ponies together as friends guessed. “Or maybe the doctor told her to get the room ready for your checkup while he checked on another patient.”

“That may be true. Well, we know where the room is, so why don’t we just go in and-” Rainbow Dash was interrupted by the nurse pony finally showing up.

“Oh, hello there you six. Sorry it took so long; the doctor just had me check on a patient that got really sick last night. But you are here now, so let me get the doctor so we can begin. Come, follow me.”

As she led them to the usual room they stayed at, something was different. They went right past the room without even looking at it. The group looked questioningly at each other, until they got to the back door and into a field. They were all awe struck at the beauty they saw. None of them even knew something like this was in Ponyville, even Rainbow, the once weather pony of the town.

The nurse loudly cleared her throat to get their attention, and then led them on to the doctor who was waiting for them all. “Greetings Rainbow Dash and friends, how are you all doing this fine morning? It has been one week since you were free to roam town, and I just thought you would like a nice change in scenery for this checkup.” As he finished talking, he walked over to Rainbow Dash and started to take off the brace keeping her wing against her body. “Now, I want you to try and fly around for a while.”

They all shot a look at him like he was crazy. “You really think I might be well enough to fly already?” Rainbow, still looking quite confused, stretched out her wings after the doctor gave her a small nod. She slowly flapped her wings, checking for any pain, and slowly increased speed. After about a minute on the ground, she closed her eyes and jumped up and started flapping quicker than a normal Pegasus. She heard a gasp come from her friends, so she opened her eyes to see what it was.

Nothing seemed out of place at first, but then she realized that she was looking down at her friends. She let her jaw drop as she looked back at her wings, flapping at a pace just enough to keep her hovering. “I said it earlier, go fly around.”
Heeding the doctors’ orders, she started to fly in small circles, gradually getting larger until she was flying around the whole field. Hearing all her friends cheering the whole time brought her spirits up. Not long after did she start to get tired, so she flew back to them breathing heavily.

The doctor was writing down a few quick notes before he turned to them to give the good news. “Its official Rainbow Dash, you are now fully capable of flying. Just don’t take it too hard, or you might hurt yourself. ” All of her friends hugged her at the same time.

“Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh! I’m soooooo happy for you Dashie! This is so amazing! You can fly again!” Pinkie Pie, being as loud and hyper as ever. “Oh! I know! We should totally have a party! We should have a party, like, today! And we should invite all the ponies in Ponyville!”

“Why darling, this is just the greatest of news! I did not expect you to recover this fast, but you are a fast healer, so it is not THAT amazing. But I am still very happy for you Rainbow Dash.” Rarity and her fanciness never escaping her.

“Congratulations Rainbow Dash. This is so exciting; you are finally healed after such a long time.” Fluttershy, slightly louder than usual.

“This is amazing Rainbow! You can finally fly again! You must be so happy! I must tell Princess Celestia as soon as I get back to the library!” Twilight said, among other things she should tell the princess.

“Well aint this a great thing sugarcube. Ya can fly again. Always new you would be able to fly after that accident. Congratulations.” Applejack said before giving Rainbow a small kiss on the cheek, completely unnoticed by the others.

“Thanks everyone. I think… you can stop… hugging me now.” Rainbow barely said from lack of oxygen. They all let go, and she took big breaths to get herself back together. “Thanks again everyone.” Looking each of them in the face, looking lastly at Applejack, giving a slight nod, letting her know she felt the kiss.

“Well, I guess you have no more need to come back here. Just take it easy and go slow for now, your muscles must re-adjust to flying again. And, congratulations on a full recovery.” The doctor said after everyone calmed down. “One last thing before you leave. If you feel that anything does not feel like it should, you come right back.” With that, he started to leave, followed by the nurse. They all decide to leave as well.

After exiting the hospital, they promise to meat at Sugarcube Corner later. They all went their separate ways, but not before giving Rainbow another congratulatory group hug. The only one that stayed behind was Applejack, with a slightly sad expression, not wanting to leave her side. “Well…I guess ya can finally go back ta your place again. I guess Ah’ll be seein’ ya later.” She finally turns around to leave, but gets stopped by Rainbow Dash. “What is it?”

Rainbow didn’t want her to leave, so she tried to come up with a lie so that they could stay together longer. “Applejack…I don’t think I can make it to my home just yet. Like the doctor said, I should take it easy, and my house is a long way from here.”

Applejack could see right through the lie, but pretended not to notice, seeing as they both wanted to stay together. “Well… Ah guess ya could come with me back ta the farm. Ah bet Scootaloo is gonna be very happy seein’ that ya can fly again.”

“Yeah, that’s right, they had another meeting last night. Won’t they be surprised.” She started hovering, warming up so she could fly for much longer later.
________________________________________________________________________

They walked through town in silence, even when other ponies congratulated Rainbow Dash on being able to fly again. When they made it to the apple farm, Big Macintosh, Granny Smith and the Cutie Mark Crusaders were waiting for them. When they saw Rainbow fly in next to Applejack, they cheered as they ran up to meet then, with the exception of Granny Smith, who was still in her rocking chair.

All three of the Crusaders, Applebloom, Sweetie Bell and Scootaloo said at the same time “Ohmygosh, Rainbow Dash! You’re flying! You’re flying!”

As she landed, they hugged her the best they could, being small and all. “Congratulations on recovering Rainbow Dash.” Was the only thing Big Mac said to her.

They were greeted by Granny Smith, still in her chair, smiling. “I can see that you can fly now. Congratulations on recovering. You can stay at our home for as long as you want young one. That room will always be open for you.”

“Thank you. Thank all of you. Why don’t we go inside and relax? Besides, I’m really thirsty.” As Rainbow Dash walked towards the door, she was stopped by Big Mac.

“Sorry Rainbow, but ya can’t go in just yet. Somepony be settin’ up somethin’ special for ya.”

“What? Oh come on…Wait…Do you mean Pinkie?”

“Eeyup.”

“Huh, figures. She did say that she was gonna invite all of Ponyville, so I guess she would need a pretty big place.” Rainbow said with a sigh.

“If ya want somethin’ ta drink, Ah’ll get ya somethin’ from the cellar.” Applejack motioned for her to follow.

After Rainbow and Applejack made it to the cellar, Applejack put a drink on the table for Rainbow. As she went to go get a drink, Applejack pulled her in for a kiss. Rainbow was taken aback for a moment, but went with it. Their embrace lasted for what seemed like an eternity. They both pulled back to get a quick breath, and started again. They were stopped when they heard a knock on the wall, only to see Big Mac staring at them.

“B-B-Big Mac! How long ya been standin’ there?”

“Long enough. They was wonderin’ what’s takin’ so long, so Ah came to see that.” Both Mares were so red, they almost rivaled Big Mac’s coat. “But Ah don’t blame ya. Ya love each other, and Ah am glad ya got each other. Ya only pony Ah’d let ya do somethin’ like that ta ma lil’ sister, so Ah’ll let ya enjoy it Rainbow.”

“Umm, thanks? But Big Mac, just don’t tell our friends. We don’t want them to know just yet.” Rainbow Dash was almost begging.

Big Mac only nodded and left them in the cellar. “Well…That sure was interestin’ huh? At least Big Mac understands. Let’s just hope our friends are the same, okay sugarcube?”

“Yeah…Maybe we should just go back up and join them and wait for Pinkie’s party to start.”

“Ya, let’s do that. But before that,” Applejack went forward and gave Rainbow another big kiss, but only lasting a few seconds. As they started to leave, Applejack grabbed a bottle of apple juice and a few more cups.

______________________________________________________________________

Several hours passed, along with several failed attempts by Rainbow Dash to try and see what Pinkie was doing in the farmhouse, when ponies from town started to arrive. Rainbow Dash and Applejack were relaxing on the roof when they heard talking and the front door opening and closing. They decided to wait a few minutes until the sound died down.

When they were about to jump off the roof, they heard Pinkie say “Okay, is everypony were? Good. I know that Applejack is with the guest of honor, but they should be showing up anytime now. Everypony get into your places, because this party is about to begin!”

Rainbow and Applejack decided to jump off the back, and take the long route to make it seem that they were walking around and not on the roof. When they made it around to the path, Rainbow saw Pinkie’s eye peeking through a window before being blocked out by the curtain. “Pinkie sure is being serious about this. But it’s Pinkie, she’s always serious about her parties.”

“Ya got that right sugarcube. Ya know, Ah’ll open the door for ya so they see ya first.”

Rainbow nodded as they continued to walk, stopping short so the door wouldn’t hit her. Both of them braced themselves. As Rainbow took two steps in, they heard a very loud “CONGRATULATIONS RAINBOW DASH!!!”

________________________________________________________________________

The party was going on for hours. Ponies started leaving from exhaustion, needing to wake-up early in the morning, and to put their children to sleep. After all the children left, Pinkie decided to change it up a bit by bringing out some alcoholic beverages. After a long time, the only ponies that remained were Twilight, Fluttershy, Rarity, Pinkie, Rainbow, Applejack and the rest of the Apple family, DJ Pon-3, who was packing up and asking if she could stay the night, and two other stallions, both of which talking to either Twilight or Rarity.

The pony Twilight was talking with was Booke, a green unicorn with a dark blue mane and an open book cutie mark. He was Ponyville’s old librarian before she came. After that, he became the manager of the bookstore. They were talking about their likes, dislikes and favorite books, seeming to have very much in common.

Rarity was talking to Arden, a white Pegasus with a light blue mane and an ice sculpture swan cutie mark. He was the one that made the ice sculpture that looked like Rainbow Dash that was in the middle of the main room. Again, they had very similar likes and dislikes.

Fluttershy, on the other hand, was nowhere to be seen, along with Big Mac. Little did anypony know, they were both in Big Mac’s room, getting…busy…But not in a bad way.

An hour after the last pony left, Fluttershy and Big Mac were back and Pinkie called everypony, except for Granny Smith and Applebloom because they were sleeping, to the guest room to play a game.

“So Pinkie Pie, darling, the point of this ‘game’ is to sit in a circle and spin this bottle, and whoever it lands on, you must kiss them?” Rarity questioned while holding an empty bottle.

“Yup! That simple, but it can get really exciting! I haven’t played it in a while, but I still remember that it was fun!”

“If that is so, then I hope you don’t mind if I change one rule, do you?” Pinkie made a big smile at Rarity’s suggestion, wanting to know what it was. “Well, I just want to say that you can’t give a small little kiss on the cheek. It must be a hot, passionate kiss!”

Everyponies eyes widened at the statement, then they looked at the pony they wanted to kiss. “That sounds like a great idea Rarity! Let me start!” Pinkie spins the bottle, and they all tense up, hoping it doesn’t point to them. They all let out a sigh of relief and laughed a little as it stopped.

The bottle was pointing at Pinkie. “Well that was interesting. Oh well! Twilight’s turn!” Pinkie gives the bottle to Twilight, who takes it slowly. “Oh come on, it’s not that bad! We just go until everyone has had a turn or everypony was been kissed! And you don’t have to go if you have been kissed already. Oh! Before I forget, no using magic to make it face a certain pony.” She looks at Twilight, Rarity and the Booke.

“Well…here goes nothing.” She spins the bottle, hoping it lands on her or Booke. She closed her eyes, not wanting to see the result. She felt a poke at her side, so she opened her eyes to see that Rarity was pointing to the bottle. Twilight looked up and saw that Booke was walking over to her. “Well isn’t this a fancy turn of events Miss Sparkle? We just met not one hour ago, and now this. I’m not complaining, but I just wish we could have got to know each other better before this.” He let out a small sigh before continuing. “Well, like you said, here goes nothing.”

Everypony gasped as he brought Twilight closer and started kissing her. Her eyes went wide at first, but closed them and joined in the embrace, kissing him back. Rarity let out a squeal for how adorable it was. After they ended their kissing, everypony started clapping.

“That was so adorable, Twilight, darling! I never would have guessed you two were that close already!” Rarity said, still keeping her smile.

“Heh, thanks? I believe it’s your turn now?” Twilight gives the bottle to Rarity, who puts it down and spins it without a second thought. For almost a whole minute of watching the bottle spin, Rarity was humming a tune and hoping it pointed at Arden.

And that it did.

Rarity let out a squeal of delight as Arden started walking over to her. “Dearest Rarity, it is like sir Booke said to miss Sparkle, but alas! I cannot bring myself to dirty your precious lips with the lips of one such as I.”

“Oh Arden, dear, you speak nonsense! You are such a handsome young gentlecolt, and I am simply amazed that you have not found yourself a mare yet.” Rarity started leaning in closer to kiss him, but was stopped.

“No! I can’t allow you to give the first kiss! It must be the colt that gives the first. Now just let me regain my composure before continuing.” After what felt like an eternity to him, Arden took a deep breath, put his hooves on Rarity’s, looked her in the eyes, then pulled her closer for the kiss.

Once their embrace ended, all the other ponies cheered. But then they went quiet at their outburst. The awkward silence was broken when the door opened to a sleepy pony saying “The hell is going on here!? Some ponies are trying to sleep here.” Her bright red eyes making her annoyance seem like extreme anger.

“Sorry ‘bout that miss Vinyl Scratch, we was just havin’ ourselves some fun. Guess we got a lil out of hoof.” Big Mac was the only pony not laughing at how the DJ ponies’ mane was flat and not having her glasses, almost completely changing her appearance.

“Heh, yeah, sorry. But I know! Now that you are awake, you can join us for the fun!” Pinkie just kept getting more excited as the night slowly dragged on.

Vinyl doesn’t say anything, but tries to find out what they were doing. After seeing the empty bottle, and the fact that they were sitting in a circle, she said “Like hell I’m joining! But I won’t mind watching you all. I needed a good laugh recently.” With that, she went over to the window and sat down on the ledge, ushering them to continue. “Carry on. Pretend I’m not here.”

“Alright, let’s continue!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed. She then proceeded to spin the bottle, but giving it a little too much power, along with a slight twist to it. After a few seconds, the bottle stopped spinning, and everypony laughed again. The bottle was standing straight up. They were all laughing for a good few minutes. Rainbow finally found the breath to say “Well…I guess…I don’t have to kiss anypony.”

They were all disappointed, but still entertained by her display of skill. “I-I think that it is my turn, if you think that’s okay.” Fluttershy carefully went over the upright bottle, laid it down and lightly spun it. She let out a sigh of relief as it pointed at her, and chanced a quick glance at Big Mac.

“Well aint this game goin’ by fast Pinkie. Jus’ me an’ Big Mac left to spin it. Ah well, we can think of somethin’ else. Now, let’s see what pony this lands on.” Applejack spins the bottle, making it move at the same time, almost hitting her leg.

This night never stops shocking these ponies, because they all let out a gasp as the bottle pointed at Big Mac. “Ah no, just no. Not happenin’! Ah aint kissing my brother!” Big Mac’s only response was to turn away from Applejack.

“I guess this concludes the game Pinkie? You said that it was over when everypony went or was kissed, but we are not going to force those two to do it. But what else can we do?” Twilight said with a slight hint of annoyance that the game was over. Then Rarity chimed in.

“IDEEEAAA!” They all looked at Rarity with wide eyes at the volume of her voice. “Oh, sorry.” She let out a small apologetic laugh. “Well, I believe that we could play another game that I have not played since I was a filly. How about some good old ‘Truth-or-Dare’?” There was a pause while they thought about it, then they all nodded.

"Alright, sounds fun. I’ll be right back though, really have to go to the bathroom after my little event with the bottle.” Everypony laughed again about that as Rainbow left the room.

“Yes, now let’s begin. I shall start us. Now…” Rarity scans there faces. “Applejack! Truth or dare?”

“Dare me! Ah aint afraid!”

Well alright then…Let’s see…I dare you to…” She whispers the rest into Applejack’s ear.

“Rarity…now that’s just cheatin’. You should know better.”

“Oh come on, it will be entertaining! Just do it, please?”

“Ah chose dare, so Ah gotta do it.”

They waited in silence. Once Rainbow Dash came back into the room, they were shocked when Applejack said “Ah love ya sugarcube.”

But they were even more shocked when they heard her reply with “I love you to AJ” And sat next to her, forgetting that the others were there. She was brought back to reality when she heard Rarity do another excited squeal. She looked at all their faces, then realizing what she had said, turned a shade closely resembling Big Mac.

All but Rarity and Big Mac were staring, jaws dropped at what just happened. The tension was broken when they heard laughter coming from the DJ pony. “That is just rich! I did not expect to see a third lesbian couple in Ponyville! Hahaha, this is great!” Nopony noticed that she said ‘third’.

Applejack and Rainbow looked at each other, both quite red. Applejack had expected Rainbow Dash to be surprised by the statement, but she was wrong.

Twilight piped in after a long silence. “Is this really true? If so, when were you planning on telling us?” All the other friends agreed, questioning them.

“Sorry ya’ll, Ah didn’t want ta hide it for too long. Ah guess ya also want ta know when this started?” They all nodded. “Well, it was actually the night Rainbow escaped from the hospital. It’s been crazy since then, but Ah believe it will work out now that she’s healed.” She nuzzled Rainbow, who returned the action.

“Yeah, it has been a while, hasn’t it… But this is not something to throw a party about Pinkie.” Pinkie Pie let out a small giggle and smiled. “But why don’t we continue with the game? And don’t dare either of us to…do anything…” She glanced at Rarity, who looked away at the glance, getting some color.

“Sounds like a plan sugarcube.” Applejack saw that Twilight was fidgeting, like she had a thought. “Twilight! Truth or dare?”

“What? Wha- oh…uh, truth?”

“Hmmm…Where you thinking about daring Rainbow ta kiss me?”

“No!...well…yes…” Twilight looked away, ashamed.

“Ah thought so. But Ah don’t blame ya.” Twilight looked at her, eyes wide. “Ya probably jus wanted ta see it ta believe it.” Twilight sighed, closing her eyes and nodding. “Don’t worry, ya’ll will see it soon enough. It’s your turn now, so go ahead.”

“Yeah, I guess your right…Well, uh…Fluttershy?”

Fluttershy let out a squeak. “Well, uh, I don’t know. I guess truth, if it’s okay with you.”

“It’s okay Fluttershy. Now, what to ask…Aha! Where were you and Big Mac during the party?”

Fluttershy squeaked again, and her face turned a light shade of red. “Um, well, uh, we were…” Her voice got quieter as she spoke, to the point that nopony heard her, along with her face now being able to blend in with Big Mac’s coat. She noticed from all their looks that they couldn’t hear her. “We w-were, uh, in B-big Bun- I mean, Big Mac’s r-room.”

“Doing what exactly?” Rarity’s interest in the love life of others got the better of her.

“Th-that wasn’t part of the q-question. A-and it isn’t your t-turn.” Fluttershy was turned so that nopony saw her face through her mane, although they all knew that she was extremely red-faced.

After quite some time of silence waiting for Fluttershy to calm down, there was a knock on the window, making everypony jump. When they looked at the window, all they could see was a dark-blue cloudy substance floating right outside, which then proceeded to pass through the window. When the cloud was together, it took shape, becoming Princess Luna, bringing everypony to bow to the princess of the night. “Hello there my little ponies.” She wouldn’t normally say that, but she thought it would be funny using the little phrase she heard her sister say many times over the years since her return. “May I ask why you are all still awake at this hour? It is not long until my sister raises the sun, you know.”

All of their eyes went wide, realizing that they have not felt tired at all. “Fret not young ones; there is still plenty of time for you to get enough of rest for the coming day. I want you all to be happy and awake in my sisters’ day, because that is when you are happy. I do like that you are enjoying my night, for not many ponies do. But I must go now, for we have an important meeting early morning, and I was just making my last rounds watching all the sleeping animals and ponies. Farewell, my little ponies. I will see you all again soon enough.” Luna nodded to all of them as one last good-bye, and then left through the window.

After a long silence, everypony looked at each other, and they all yawned in unison. Applejack finally broke the silence. “Alright ya’ll, Ah guess we are pretty tired. Let’s do what Princess Luna said and get some rest.” They all agreed and went to the room that they decided to sleep in for the night: the mane six in Applejack’s room, Big Mac, Booke and Arden in Big Mac’s room, and Vinyl taking the living room, preferring to sleep on a couch. It took them all some time to fall asleep, thinking about the night.

But little did they know, that is not where they will be when they wake up in just a few hours…