• Published 26th Feb 2014
  • 1,764 Views, 53 Comments

The Blue-Blood of the Bon-Bon - Duke of Canterlot



Prince Blueblood has decided it is time for him to pick a wife.

  • ...
10
 53
 1,764

Conversing with Blueblood

Besides all the "I can't believe this is happening" thoughts going through Bon-Bon's head, one more thought came to mind.
Could it be possible that Bon-Bon and Prince Blueblood were meant to be?
It seemed stupid. It was stupid. Bon-Bon decided that she would reject Blueblood and hopefully he would be able to take it like an adult.
Lyra had hid away in her room. She didn't want to "ruin the moment".


Bon-Bon opened the door. There was Prince Blueblood in all of his glory. He was dressed in a tuxedo and was carrying a bouquet of roses. The roses admittedly looked nice. They must have been a Canterlot breed of rose.

"For you, my lady."

"Thank you. These roses are very pretty."

"These are a very rare and exotic breed of roses, Ms. Bon-Bon, please take good care of them."

"What kind of roses?"

"These are roses which only exist in Princess Celestia's garden. They are known for their longevity as long as they are given proper care such as water and sunlight."

"Longevity, huh? How old are these roses you've given me?"

"Five hundred years old, 8 months, and 22 days. I made sure to pick roses which were grown by Celestia on your birthday, August 22. Owning a celestial rose which originated on your birthday is supposed to give you good luck, per the old royal legends."

Good luck, huh. Lyra told Blueblood way too much. It was admittedly charming though that Blueblood remembered her birthday.

"Yet again, thank you. I must admit that I am surprised."

"You only deserve the best, Ms. Bon-Bon."

Bon-Bon blushed. This wasn't the Blueblood she saw on television. This wasn't the Blueblood who treated Lyra like she didn't matter.

"Let me put these roses in some water."

"Oh", said Blueblood looking through his saddlebag, "I have a special vase for the roses. The vase is blessed with Celestia's magic."

Bon-Bon smiled at Blueblood. Why was he doing all of this? Was he simply trying to manipulate her? That seemed like the most likely scenario, however, Bon-Bon would take the roses.

Blueblood used his magic to put the roses carefully into the vase and then placed it on the dining room table.

"Oh, Lyra is such a slob. I hope she doesn't muddle with the roses."

"Who's Lyra?"

Bon-Bon chuckled. Blueblood really wasn't paying attention to the ponies his mother picked for him. It didn't surprise Bon-Bon one bit.

"Oh, I think you met her before. She is.. er... turquoise."

"Turquoise! Of course! The human-loving unicorn. No offense to her, but I don't know why mother picked her for me."

"I know why and that is something which I think will be problematic for us if you know.. I.. er.. marry you."

"What is that exactly? My mother already said I could marry you."

"The reason why she picked my friend, Lyra, for you is that Lyra comes from one of Canterlot's high society families. Lyra was raised to understand all of these wacky and outdated customs which only rich ponies would understand. I come from a very modest family. My parents still live in a charming but small cottage on the other side of Ponyville. The only high society functions I have ever been to was to watch Lyra play in a concert."

"Funny. You seem much more high-society to me than Ms. Lyra."

"She marches to the beat of her own drum. However, she understands and is familiar with all the terminology."

"You're a bright mare! I think you would catch on right away. Is that really the only issue?"

It wasn't, but damn it... Bon-Bon wasn't really in the mood to talk about the other stuff.

"Ummm... I... don't know. It's just that.. I don't think we know each other well enough to know if marriage is such a wise decision."

"Oh.. I see", said Prince Blueblood with a look of sadness on his face.

"I'm sorry but now isn't the time."

"I think I understand but.. am surprised. I thought it was every mare's dream to be my wife."

"You can't actually think that."

"I am a prince after all, it is to a pony's benefit to marry me."

Bon-Bon rolled her eyes. Blueblood didn't make a complete 180.

"What? Does that seem preposterous to you", asked Blueblood.

"No, since you're a prince, but it is awfully pompous for you to say that."

"I apologize. I will be better-behaved around you for now on."

Bon-Bon had to feel sorry for Blueblood. There was something kind of pathetic about him. He might have sincerely had feelings for Bon-Bon. Or was this all the scheming of a cold and calculating playboy who wanted to add Bon-Bon to his "ponies I slept with" list? Blueblood was more clever than Bon-Bon had anticipated.

"Hey, it's okay", said Bon-Bon, "it's just that, for me, marriage is a life-long commitment and I really need to be 100% confident that I want to get married to you."

"You are making plenty of sense", admitted Blueblood, "I was wondering though if you would be interested in going on a date with me."

"A what!?!?", joked Bon-Bon.

Blueblood groaned. "Pardon me. I know I must be sounding like an ass and far too forward."

Bon-Bon chuckled. "I was kidding. It's not a big deal. You did bring me nice flowers. I think that's worth a date."

Blueblood grinned. It was the kind of grin Bon-Bon would see on Lyra when she got excited about something or Pinkie Pie on a regular basis.

"Thank you, Ms. Bon-Bon." Blueblood held his front hoof into Bon-Bon's front hoof and said, "I hope to make you proud.'

"I would love to see you try."

"You can count on me, my lady." Blueblood kissed Bon-Bon on the cheek.

"So, what does my knight in shining armor have planned for our date?"

"Oh, so many wonderful things. Does tomorrow night work for you? Even though you look absolutely gorgeous right now, I think you should look your fanciest tomorrow night."

"Tomorrow night is fine with me."

"Thank you, Ms. Bon-Bon."

"No need to call me Ms. Bon-Bon. Bon-Bon is fine enough."

"Certainly. I suppose we are heading to the point where formalities can be relinquished."

"As long as the relinquishment of formalities doesn't mean I have to sleep with you right now, I think it's okay."

Blueblood laughed and commented, "Turquoise told me that you are the Queen of Cynics."

"No one needed to tell me that you are the King of Assholes."

"King? But my dear", said Blueblood putting his forehoof on Bon-Bon's back, "I am the Prince of Assholes."

Bon-Bon smiled, at least Blueblood was self-aware of his personality flaws, that counted for something, right?

"I suppose I should get going. I need to plan this date and make it perfect."

"Are you going to ask your mommy?"

"Mother might offer some good advice."

"Remember though. Your mother is some high-class unicorn from Canterlot. I'm a middle-class earth pony from Ponyville, keep that in mind."

"But you are both mares, that should mean something."

"I suppose. Where should I meet you?"

"How about I pick you up at your apartment at 6 PM tomorrow?"

"Perfect. I will see you then."

"Farewell, my lady."

Bon-Bon watched as Blueblood got into his carriage. The 'engine' started to run on the carriage and it drove away.

Bon-Bon thought to herself, "Am I in over my head here? I could probably turn down Blueblood whenever I felt like it, but what if I can't?"

Probably the strongest motivation for Bon-Bon at this point was curiosity, could Prince Blueblood sweep her off her hooves?
Tomorrow would be the time to find out. She just had to make sure she was fully ready for the date. She would go to the spa tomorrow and possibly to some dress shop in town to buy a brand new dress. Bon-Bon need to ensure that any potential screw-ups were his and not hers, that would allow Bon-Bon to make her final decision confidently.

Author's Note:

I hope all of you are enjoying the story.

The next two weeks at work are going to be nuts, but I will try to add new chapters when I can.