• Published 24th Mar 2012
  • 2,468 Views, 63 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: Anomaly - Chaotic Dreams



Some things are better left...unexplained.

  • ...
11
 63
 2,468

Chapter 7

Chapter 7

“Tara…Strong?” Twilight echoed, turning to Celestia with about as much confusion as she’d ever felt. The lavender unicorn gasped when she saw that Celestia was…crying? “Princess! What’s wrong?!”

“Oh, Twilight!” Celestia cried, dropping low and wrapping her forelegs around her student in a big hug. Her tears fell on Twilight’s shoulder. “I never wanted you to get mixed up in all this. Not again.”

“Not again?” Twilight wondered. “Princess, I don’t mean to be indelicate, but what is going on? What was Gell talking about? And why are you crying?”

“Sit down, Twilight,” Celestia sniffed, attempting to smile but failing. Twilight followed her mentor back to the cushions by the fire and joined her there. After a moment of watching the Princess gaze mournfully into the fire, Celestia spoke at last. “I never wanted you to know. I thought it would be best if you didn’t. The captain—The Stallion in Black—he puts it so nicely: ‘There are some things that are better left…unexplained.’

“But I’ve kept this a secret from you all these years, Twilight,” Celestia went on. “You must understand, it was only to protect you.”

“Protect me from what?” Twilight asked, getting quite scared. “Celestia, you know you can tell me anything!”

“And it seems that I must,” Celestia said as a final tear slid down her cheek, though she gave her student a knowing smile all the same. “You’re so intelligent, I’ve no doubt you would figure it out on your own if I didn’t tell you myself. To salvage whatever will be left of our relationship after this conversation is over, Twilight, just let me tell you now: I will keep no more secrets from you. I will tell you all I know.”

“Princess…” Twilight uttered, feeling absolutely terrified right now. What kind of information could damage her relationship with the Princess? What had Celestia done that was so terrible it would make Twilight think ill of her mentor? Did she even want to know such a secret? But, if she refused to listen, wouldn’t such a thing haunt her for the rest of her life? Finally, Twilight looked her mentor in the eye again and said “I’m listening.”

“Twilight, do you know why Earth and Equestria became connected?” the Princess inquired.

“Nopony knows,” Twilight answered. “Most magician ponies and scientist humans theorize that it was due to some kind of natural shift in the fabric of the multiverse.”

“That was indeed the cover story we spread,” Celestia admitted. “But a cover story is all it was. The Equestrian government, under my orders, were conducting a research experiment to find other universes. It was a powerful and very dangerous spell, and nopony was sure it would even work. But it did. That is how we found the Earth.”

“I didn’t think pony magic could be THAT powerful,” Twilight breathed in awe. Then, ruffling her brow, she looked back up to her mentor and inquired “But what difference would it make if we did find Earth through a spell? Why cover that up?”

“The reason we went exploring in the first place was to find new resources,” Celestia explained. “As you know, Equestria does not have the best of relations with the neighboring nations. The gryphons aren’t too fond of us, though there is a fragile peace, and most of the zebra nations like us about as much as the gryphons do. Then there are the species that don’t even have a nation, such as the dragons, who are hostile and dangerous if anypony so much as dares to step into their territory. The list goes on…the barren wastelands of the changelings, the ancestral home of the diamond dogs, and the snowbound lands of the old pony tribes where the whispers of the Windigos still rage their blizzards. We are locked in the middle of hostile territory, and we were hoping to find resources that we could use to better defend ourselves against these potential threats. The Elements of Harmony are the most powerful magic in this universe, to be sure, but they only work against true evil. An attack by one of these lands would be for reasons of greed and prejudice, not evil.”

Twilight nodded, understanding what the Princess was saying but still not sure how it had anything to do with her…or that name.

“And so we searched the multiverse. The spell took too much time, effort, power, and most of all, funds, to use a second time. But we had already found one world on our first try. That world was Earth,” Celestia continued. “And upon our first meeting with the humans, we wished we had never connected to that world in the first place. We were terrified.”

“Terrified?” Twilight echoed. “Of what? The humans? Sure, they destroyed their own planet, but they can’t even survive in Equestria! Pony magic is lethal to them in strong enough doses, and it doesn’t get any stronger than being in Equestria. How could they pose a threat to our world?”

“Because, Twilight Sparkle, my most faithful student who I value as one of the most gifted and intelligent ponies in Equestrian history—”

Twilight beamed with pride. She knew her mentor valued her, but she never in her wildest dreams believed that Celestia thought this highly of her.

“—you are as dumb as parasprite next to the intellect of a human with a need,” Celestia finished.

“What?!” Twilight asked, dumbfounded.

“The human being is a most curious specimen,” Celestia explained. “They’re not like any beings we’ve ever seen, in this world or their own. The creatures of our world live in balance with the rest of life, be it great dragon or small firefly. So do most animals on Earth. But the humans grow. They expand. They learn, they overcome, and they destroy. If humanity wants or needs something, and if they are given the time to ponder a way to achieve it with even the most meager of resources, they will succeed.

“And when we found the humans, they needed Equestria. Even if they didn’t know they needed it, we knew they would lay their eyes on its rich resources eventually and lay claim to it all,” Celestia continued. “We couldn’t close the connection between Equestria and Earth to stop this threat. We tried. And we knew if they thought we had come to Earth looking for its resources, they would have all the reason they would need to counterstrike and obliterate us. But we did think of a way to save Equestria nonetheless. A rather ingenious plan, really, though The Stallion in Black is the pony who thought of it and the pony I entrusted to execute it.”

“I don’t understand,” Twilight exasperated. “None of this makes any sense—I mean, I know what humans are capable of. War, space travel, the destruction of entire planets. But pony magic is still lethal to them, and they’ve never found a way around it. How could they invade and take over Equestria if they can’t even survive here?”

“Because they would have found a way eventually,” Celestia affirmed. “They had nearly done so when we started to take action. There were no plans for invasion just yet, but a group of human scientists were very close to discovering a way to survive Equestrian magic. There were even other groups all over the world who were on the verge of discovering ways to save their dying planet. They are quite an ingenious species, really. In order to prevent their growth into what would inevitably be Equestria when they finally outgrew their tiny world, we started to take the steps towards setting up their demise.”

“You WHAT?!” Twilight gasped. “But that’s impossible! There’s no way Equestria could ever destroy the Earth, and there’s no way you would allow it to happen if we could! I know you wouldn’t, Princess!”

“True, we couldn’t destroy the Earth,” Celestia admitted. “But the humans could. All they needed to do was continue on the path they were already headed down. So saying, we began to infiltrate their society. We assassinated any human who was on the verge of discovering a way to save the Earth from its environmental collapse. We bought out world politicians and global business leaders with Equestrian goods to ensure that policies and products would continue to make the environment worse. The humans under our control didn’t even know they were destroying their own planet and their species, but they didn’t care so much as we kept paying them.

“And I would destroy the human race if it meant protecting my subjects, Twilight,” Celestia said. “I would destroy the races of a thousand worlds if it meant keeping Equestria safe.”

Tears welled in Twilight’s eyes. How could her own mentor, the beloved Princess Celestia, the most wise and peaceful pony she or Equestria had ever known, be responsible for the coming extinction of an entire planet?

“How could you?” Twilight whispered through her tears.

“It gets worse,” Celestia told her student, tears welling up in her own eyes once more. “Because all our efforts weren’t enough. The more we pushed the humans to unwittingly destroy themselves, the more desperate they became to save their world. Scientists were coming up with new solutions faster than we could keep them quiet and destroy their discoveries. The politicians and business leaders under our control were growing suspicious. A few of them even started to gain a conscience. We knew we had to produce some kind of solution of our own, and so our own intellectual elite devised a brilliant plan: the Conversion Bureaus. If we couldn’t defeat the humans, why not have them join us? A pony cannot think of massive wars and ways to overcome even magic itself. A pony is loyal to its species, and would never think of truly harming another pony. So we opened up the Bureaus to offer the humans a way out of their dying world, and most of them took it. They fled to Equestria as ponies, and the need to save their species became less and less as the scientists realized that even if they did fail at saving the Earth, they could still live on.”

“Then why not just let the Bureaus do their work?” Twilight wept. “Why continue killing innocent humans?”

“Because not all humans wanted to be ponified. A few just wouldn’t give in. We knew that eventually the humans left on Earth would get back on their feet, outgrow their world, and come to take over Equestria,” Celestia announced with finality. “Destroying the human race, whether through killing them or ponifying them or causing their environment to collapse, was the only way to ensure Equestria’s safety.”

“You’re wrong,” Twilight sniffed, looking up at her mentor with defiance and fire in her eyes. The Princess looked sorrowful that her student had to know this, but not sorrowful that she had acted against the lives of an entire species. “There would’ve been another way. We didn’t have to kill them. And we still don’t.”

“Twilight Sparkle,” Celestia said. “As your Princess, I assure that this is the only way. If there was any other route, I would take it. But there isn’t. If Equestria is to live, then the Earth must die, and all humans with it.”

“No,” Twilight declared. She rose and turned her back on the pony she had trusted, the pony who had turned out to be a mass murderer…no, a perpetrator of genocide.

“Twilight!” Celestia called out to her beloved pupil. “Please, I had only Equestria’s best intentions at heart!”

“You just don’t get it, do you?!” Twilight raged, whirling around on her mentor. “It’s not about having Equestria’s best interests at heart. It’s about having the interests of all sentient life at heart. And no matter how bad the humans may be, they’re still sentient life. There’s good in them, I’ve seen it, even if I didn’t want to admit it. Lauren is proof of that—there, I said it, she’s a human at heart, and so is Craig. Even though she attacked my friends and I, she only did it to save somepony she loved, just like you. But unlike you, she didn’t kill us. She didn’t even try to.

“You’re a monster, Celestia,” Twilight spat before turning around and heading for the door.

“Twilight, please!” Celestia called out to her student. Her FORMER student.

“Goodbye, Celestia,” Twilight whispered, unable to hold back her last remaining tears.

“Twilight, if you want to leave, I won’t stop you,” Celestia pleaded. “But at least let me tell you one last thing. Let me tell you the truth about who you are. Let me tell you what that gryphon meant about the name ‘Tara Strong.’”

Twilight, not even caring anymore, continued her walk towards the door.

“It concerns your friends as well,” Celestia spoke.

“What?” Twilight asked, her ears perking up, though she did not turn to face her old mentor. Her old mentor may have been right about this conversation severing all ties between them, but her friends were all she had right now. She couldn’t let anything happen to them. Twilight stood still, facing the door, but listening.

“What the gryphon meant about ‘Tara Strong’ is…” Celestia tried to say. “Well…you are Tara Strong.”

“What?” Twilight nearly choked. “But that’s a human name…oh, no…”

“I see you’ve figured it out, then,” Celestia said. “Before we could open the Conversion Bureaus, we had to test out the potion. After the first few disastrous mutations of volunteers, the human government forbid any more experimentation. So we tested in secret, taking humans off the street. One of those humans, the first human who was ever successfully transformed into a pony, was you, Twilight Sparkle. Your old name was Tara Strong.”

“No…” Twilight breathed, tears threatening to choke her. “That’s impossible! I have a family! I’ve lived here in Equestria my entire life! I remember everything!”

“Those memories are all magically implanted after your original ones were forcefully suppressed,” Celestia informed her. “Your family only ever had one child: Shining Armor. All your time together with him and your parents is an illusion; even they were given false memories to believe that you had been with them all along. The same goes for the rest of your friends and their families. Rarity’s name was Tabitha Saint Germain. Either Applejack or Rainbow Dash used to be Ashleigh Ball while the other was her sister; we never kept strict records on those we kidnapped. The same mix-up happened with Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie; one of them is Andrea Libman and the other is her sister.

“The truth is, Twilight Sparkle, that until about two years ago you were a human,” Celestia revealed her final secret. “And so were your friends.”

“No…” Twilight sobbed openly now. “No, no, no…”

“I know it’s a lot to take in,” Celestia tried to comfort her former student, trotting over and placing a foreleg around the lavender unicorn’s shoulders.

“Don’t touch me!” Twilight screamed, galloping out from under Celestia’s embrace and out through the doors. They were flung closed again with Twilight’s magic, slamming in Celestia’s face.

Celestia lowered her head, and wept.

. . .

A lie.

It had all been a lie.

One.

Big.

Horrible.

Lie.

And Twilight, for as long as she’d been in Equestria, was at the heart of it all. She was nothing more than the byproduct of a tyrannical reign of genocide and falsehoods. She could see it all now. The Princess hadn’t taken her in because she was special; Celestia had taken her in because she was a human—the first real ponified human—and she needed to be kept under observation. What better place than under the eyes of the Princess?

Twilight galloped back to her room and almost walked in. She paused with her hoof inches from the door. She hesitated. Finally Twilight—Tara—whoever she was—slumped down outside the door and wept.

She couldn’t tell her friends. That much she knew was certain. If this information had all but broken her, then what would it do to her friends? The free-spirited Rainbow Dash, having been a wingless human? The gentle Fluttershy, having been born on a world where wildlife was all but a thing of the past?

How would they take it? Well, for one thing, they wouldn’t. Twilight would see to that. None of her friends would ever know.

But she knew. And there was no un-knowing that. Wait, was there? If Celestia had suppressed Twilight’s true memories, then couldn’t the same be done for what she’d just learned? Twilight’s horn instantly began to glow to try and find out, but stopped just as quickly. There was a whole other life locked away inside her mind, and she wanted to forget that forever? Did she really want to lose who she had been before she came to Equestria? Wasn’t she who she had been as well as who she was now?

Twilight’s horn began to glow again, but she had a different idea this time. Closing her eyes, the lavender unicorn took a deep breath and cleared her mind. Then, she began searching, poking and prodding the different parts of her thoughts with her magic, turning the powers of her horn inward instead of outward.

The ponified human had almost given up when she felt something she’d never even noticed, despite it being inside her mind all this time. It was small, battered, and bent, but it was still unbroken. It was cold and filled with hurt and loss. But it never ceased to give out a faint light of hope, even if until now Twilight hadn’t been able to see it.

With much trepidation and a swiftly beating heart, Twilight squeezed her eyes even tighter, touched the barrier that had been secretly holding back the truth all this time, and broke through to unleash her hidden memories.

They all came rushing back like a tidal wave that threatened to drown her. Twilight tried to swim up for air, to gasp at the surface, but the more she kicked and flailed the deeper she sank. And then, just when Twilight thought the memories would overwhelm her, it all clicked into place.

Her name had been Tara Strong. She had been sixteen during her last year on Earth. Blonde-haired (though she dyed it), pale-skinned, two-legged and hornless. But she didn’t need the horn—hadn’t even considered it. She had never seen an equine before the ponies came, as most animals were a rarity in that day and age. There had never been any sunlight; it was all artificial electrics and boiling poison in the sky. When the weather was particularly bad she and her fellow humans would have to wear gasmasks on the street in addition to protective coating to guard against the acid rain. School was torture; they plugged wires into the student’s heads and downloaded the information right into their brains.

Tara had hated it. Hated it all. Hated that there seemed to be no future. Hated that the experts said that without the natural environment human society would be destroyed in a matter of decades, as well as all life on Earth save the cockroaches that licked the waste off the dead rats in the chemical plants. Hated that all her brilliance in the fields of quantum mechanics, something that the schools had seen her take a gifted interest in at a young age, was expected to account for nothing as she wouldn’t be alive long enough to do anything with it. Hated that her parents had to cry at night because they thought their child had no future to look forward to. Hated that at the end of the day, nobody (not nopony) had any hope left for humanity anymore.

Except…Tara DID have hope left for humanity. She had refused to believe that thousands of years of triumph over the elements and disease and the hatred of each other would amount to nothing. She refused to go quietly into the vast void of stars, to wink out of existence like her entire species had never even mattered.

She refused to die.

And so, defying all the expectations of the world and those who inhabited it, Tara had planned. She had studied. She had built. And, after years of experimentation and countless failures, she had succeeded. Tara had utilized everything she knew about quantum physics, everything humanity had ever learned about the field and thrown a few of her own discoveries on top of the pile.

But human technology wasn’t enough to save the dying planet, despite Tara’s best efforts. Thankfully, she had more than just human technology at her disposal. By now the ponies had arrived, claiming the rift was a freak occurrence, and introduced their wondrous yet lethal world to the humans. Most humans saw Equestria as a way out of Earth, but Tara had seen a way to save the world.

Doing what nobody and nopony had thought was even possible, Tara had combined human technology with pony magic and created…the device. A device that could change reality, regardless of the laws of physics that surrounded it. A device that could reverse the collapse of the environment with a simple keystroke.

And that’s exactly what Tara had planned to do. To save her family, to save the future, to save the world, Tara typed in the words that would undo centuries of environmental destruction and prove that humans WERE worth something after all. With the single press of a button, Tara would show the world that they didn’t need the ponies to save themselves, that their own world could be just as good—if not better—than Equestria any day.

And that’s when The Stallion in Black showed up. When his team of ponies had burst into the Strong household, grabbed Tara and her parents in their telekinetic grip, and proceeded to squeeze the life out of them. But…there was a problem. Something didn’t make sense. All the other targets who had attempted to save humanity had been adults; Tara was but a child.

The ponies killed the parents just to be sure, but Tara they didn’t know what to do with. The Stallion in Black had contacted Celestia herself, who upon seeing the child quivering with fear and crying over the blood-splattered corpses of her parents, had felt the last bit of mercy and conscience in her demand that she be taken care of another way.

The Stallion in Black had dragged Tara, who was screaming and attempting to break free of his telekinetic grip so that she could beat him to death with nothing but her fists or die trying. Had thrown her in the back of their vehicle. Had paid the human working for them to take them back to the portal station. Had slit open Tara’s clothes and sprayed her with that purplish-pinkish goo. Had watched with amazement as she transformed successfully right in front of their eyes, bucking and thrashing as her humanity was stolen from her. Had finally put her under with a spell after she had become, cutie mark and all, the first ponified human in the history of two worlds.

Her family, the device, her world, and her humanity had been taken from her.

Early the next morning in another world, Twilight Sparkle had been placed in a room at the royal palace in Canterlot, a city she would believe she had lived in all her life.

. . .

Twilight awoke to the sound of wails.

The former human jerked her head up, looking around in terrified confusion. It was if the sound of her parents’ death had escaped her memory and been released into reality.

But it wasn’t her human form that was crying. It was five ponies, her closest friends, all pounding the ground with their hooves and sobbing as if the world had ended.

“What’s going on?!” Twilight demanded.

“Oh, Twilight…Tara…Whoever you are!” Rainbow Dash wept. “It was all a lie! Every one of us!”

“W-what are you t-talking about?!” Twilight gasped. “How did you—”

“We didn’t mean to,” Applejack sniffed. “We heard you talking to yourself out here in the hallway and you sounded awful upset, so we came out to investigate. Your horn was all glowin’ and when Rarity tried to snap you out of it with her own magic…”

“The spell infected us all!” Rarity bawled. “We know everything. We know the truth. We know what Celestia told you, and we know who we used to be.”

“No…” Twilight whispered. “No! I didn’t want any of you to know! I didn’t want any of you to go through that!”

“It weren’t your fault, Twi,” Applejack tried in vain to smile at her friend. “But…I just don’t know how to go on after this…”

“I…I don’t either,” Twilight admitted. “It was all a lie. I just…I just wish there was something we could do…Celestia can’t be allowed to do this anymore! It’s not fair!”

“You're right! Celestia has to pay!” Fluttershy demanded angril through her tears. "But...what can we do?"

“For one thing, you can help me figure out how to work this stupid device of yours,” commented a voice Twilight had never expected to hear again. “It’s been giving me nothing but trouble ever since I found it. But if it does all that stuff you thought it could do, then it can put Celestia in her place AND save humanity in a heartbeat.”

. . .

Comments ( 18 )

so you did enter the trap.....

now.... please explain the cutie marks and how they have affected the Mane 6's abilities as well as how ponified humans could use the Elements of Harmony.... unless of course those were part of the fabricated memories but then, you'd have to explain how come said memories included the 3 Major vilains....

Sisters of the actors?
Kind of seems like a cop-out.
Although that was a pretty darn epic flashback.

Take all my wats.

You deserve 'em.

I'm going to have to call bull-honkery. Celestia would at least try diplomacy first. Or encourage humanity to look to their own universe's untapped bounty. Or harvest all of those resources next door. Or, you know, something that isn't a genocide conspiracy.

I'm going to keep reading, but you've definitely lost points with me. Sorry, but this is a pretty nasty blow to the ol' suspension of disbelief.

You hear that? Do you hear that noise!?

That is the sound of angels singing, as I read this chapter!

history.com/images/media/slideshow/teddy-roosevelt/theodore-roosevelt-laughing.jpg

You get 1x Teddy Roosevelt.

505644 You have to remember, this is TCB!Celestia, and TCB!Ponies, who are misanthropic as fuck.

MY MIND = (FUCKING BLOWN)^infinity :pinkiegasp::pinkiegasp::pinkiegasp::pinkiegasp::pinkiegasp::pinkiegasp::pinkiegasp:

If M. Knight Shamalamadingdong was a brony, I think he would've had a TWEEST-gasm right about now!

505644 Dude TCB is always mianthropic. It just varies from author to author how much you want to get back at the ponies. Be it a mild smack upside the head from disappointment or wanting to fill Celestia's veins with billions of tiny, rabid, pissed off wolverines. And she's my favorite.


As for this fic, Chaotic Dreams.....

cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/17629722.jpg


That got dark...and sad. I mean I hope there can still be pony-human relationships afterwards, but yes Celestia has to pay... but how? I mean as bad as this makes her, I'm still a Celestia fan....Ignore my avatar. :unsuresweetie:


Not too mention, as much as I want Equestria to pay, the HLF should not be the ones to do it, because that type of organization just needs to go kiss the grill of a fleet of speeding trucks. They wouldn't make those guilty pay, they'd go after every pony.

Keep it up. I'm looking forward to seeing how turn out now......Was Luna in on that? What about Cadence, her supposed babysitter?

Calling it now: Celestia WANTS Twilight to betray her. It's all part of her master plan.

you're lucky.... I can't call the trap out......

507360 I, for one, have the perfect argument against TCB's misanthropy:

inquisitr.com/wp-content/2012/03/mr.-rogers.jpg

Any additional words would be overkill.

CDR

You broke my brain, you elegent wordsmith you, good job.

Now, what happens next, cause I'm hungry for some good story.

“No,” Twilight declared. She rose and turned her back on the pony she had trusted, the pony who had turned out to be a mass murderer…no, a perpetrator of genocide.

Hnnnnnng! Must....resist......pet..peeve! Oh damn it all. Genocide is the willful destruction of a race or religious sect. What Celestia is doing is xenocide, the willful destruction of an entire species.

My brain is full of billions - no, trillions upon trillions upon trillions of pure weapons-grade fuck now. Well-played, sir.

514944
He's pretty much the perfect argument against any misanthropy at all anywhere, so...

and it was all a lie! luna wosent sent to the moon because she was gonna make night eternal she was trying to stop celestia from commencing her plan of dimensional portal and resulting committing genocide but then forgot about it when hit with the elements :trollestia: its.. its all so clear now

if i was ponifyed i would like to be a Pegasus OH! also AUTO FAVORITED STORY

1330140 Hmmm... While I find that idea to be interesting, what if there's a different reason for why she forgot?

As shown in "Friendship is Magic, Part 2", when Nightmare Moon was hit by the Elements, it 'purified' Luna, thus removing Nightmare Moon's 'taint'. However, if what you say is true, then it could be that the Elements instead removed the memories and replacing them with false ones, thus making Luna become like her 'pre-abduction' self. But if this is true, does that mean that the Elements of Harmony are nothing more than a weapon for Celestia to use?

... Actually, this might not be true. If it's true that Luna was banished because of the abductions, she would've had to been banished roughly 10 years ago at the most. Ergo, it could be that Celestia was never able to actually able to use the elements to their full extent, but was only able to create them. Because of this, she needed something, or rather, somePONY, who could use them for her. And who better than a brainwashed unicorn/alicorn who's loyal to her without a doubt? That is, of course, until Tara actually remembered everything.

Because of this, we'll most likely have a schism in the Equestrain hierarchy, with Tara and Luna leading the 'pro-human' side while Celestia is the head of the 'pro-Conversion' party. However, where will this place the others, such as Spike, the Apple Family (Though the majority of the Apple Family is probably pro-Celestia), and the CMC? Will they ally themselves with the Mane Six or with Celestia?

Login or register to comment