• Published 23rd Feb 2014
  • 3,385 Views, 155 Comments

We Three Alicorns - zakueins



An attack on Ponyville means that the Cutie Mark Crusaders must reveal a deep, dark secret. And, face off against a threat that would harm all Equestria.

  • ...
4
 155
 3,385

The Decision

Click. Click. Click.

Princess Celestia considered the clock in her office. In, as she thought of it, the office.

Click. Click. Click.

The clock was a present from Princess Luna, about fifty years before the Night That Never Ended. A small thing, barely larger than her leg below the knee, using a tricky little bit of self-winding magic but otherwise purely mechanical. Luna and gadgets...she had built this clock, with it’s odd sound of the escapement that was a high pitched click rather than the more traditional sound...she always smiled when she saw that clock. After that night...she lost it until about a hundred and twenty years later, after a day of blood and nausea and vomit when she found out exactly what the Pigmenters did at the Rainbow Factory.

And solved that problem with a brutality that even made her quiver on occasion.

Click. Click. Click.

The problem was, it made her quiver in lust. For more.

Power was a dangerous drug, even more than any other. So few ponies ever faced how intoxicating the level of power that being a Princess of Equestria meant. Which was why she had found the clock. It reminded her of what power meant.

It meant a lost sister.

It meant the heads of nearly six thousand pegasui, the stumps of their necks still bleeding.

It meant soldiers and sailors that she would send off to war. In Her name.

It meant executions, anonymous “accidents”, and lost families.

And, no amount of cakes, lovers, art, stained glass windows, or other bribes could make up for that.

Click. Click. Click.

Which was why it was here, in what she thought of as the office. Plain white marble walls. Plain but solid-and sturdy-wooden desk. Plain file cabinets. No windows. Two doors, one leading to a bathroom and one leading to a office chamber that many ponies thought she worked in on a regular basis.

The office was where she made the harsh and brutal decisions that being Princess required. No distractions. No trappings. Nothing that boosted her ego. She had to confront her decisions without any buffers, any justifications. Only what she had to do, and why, and how.

Click. Click. Click.

There was a soft knock on the door. “Enter,” Princess Celestia said.

Princess Luna came in, and looked around. “You have never invited Us here,” Princess Luna said, looking around. Her eyes fell upon the clock. “Here?”

“I could not think of a better place for it, sister,” Princess Celestia said softly. “It reminds me of what my duties are and I’m required to be.”

Princess Luna said nothing, but she instantly nuzzled her cheek into Celestia’s cheek. “Sister, please, let Me help with Your burdens…,” she whispered into her fur. She could feel Princess Celestia’s tears, running down her face.

“Do you want this burden, sister?” Princess Celestia whispered hoarsely. “Do you wish to decide if three foals that are guilty of being nothing but pawns must die? To be hated by the student that has become as much your daughter as if she was born of your own flesh and bone? To know that you will make enemies of some of the greatest ponies to walk Equestria, ones that I wish, I wish I could be more than their Princess to?”

“Celestia…,” Princess Luna whispered.

“Do you want that, sister?” Princess Celestia said, hissing through her teeth.

“I am Your sister,” Princess Luna said. “We sit upon the Diarchy Throne, and I know what My duty is. I will not let You, no matter how much You love me, take that from Me. I will not let You do this alone. No matter how much it hurts. Sister...I was lost for a thousand years, You took an insane risk to free Me from the Nightmare. I cannot be anything other than Your sister-and stand beside You, come what may.”

“‘Come what may,’” Princess Celestia repeated. She took a deep breath, pulled some kleenex out of Elsewhere, blew her nose and dried her eyes. “Have you sent the notes?”

“I have informed all of the Bearers,” Princess Luna replied. “They will be brought here tonight, for tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow, stand with me,” Princess Celestia said. “I have made a decision. And, I need to have a choice decided.”

“What is Your choice?” Princess Luna asked, looking at her sister.

Princess Celestia told her.

“Sister, one of the problems with bait...is that it is sometimes eaten by what You wish to catch,” Princess Luna said after a moment.

“Can you think of any other options? SI Banks report...if the Order thinks it is close to summoning the Nightmare,” Princess Celestia said, “And, they let their hook dip into the demon-haunted void, what they pull out will only be one thing-something we dare not allow into Equestria.”

“It is a danger,” Princess Luna replied. “And, I cannot think of any other options. Not for lack of trying, My sister!”

“If you can find a solution, let me know. I wish for a different one,” Princess Celestia said simply.


The chariot had arrived outside of the Ponyville Library promptly after sundown, and the five of them climbed into it.

Pinkie Pie was her enthusiastic self, trying to drag a bag twice the size of the chariot of what had to be party favors with her. Fluttershy was nervous, but something about her expression suggested that she was going to hold onto her courage with all her hooves. Twilight Sparkle looked a touch frazzled, but it was the “intense curiosity” sort of frazzled, not the “going mad” frazzled.

Applejack and Rarity had just looked at each other, said nothing, and retreated to opposite corners of the chariot.

Rarity’s expression was blank.

Applejack’s was ashamed.

About an hour into the flight, Applejack cleared her throat. “Got something I need to say to all of ya,” Applejack said without preamble. “I’ve been an awful friend and pony the last few weeks.”

“Oh, really,” Rarity drawled, but Twilight Sparkle gave her a solid bump with her flank to stop the sarcasm.

“I’m serious,” Applejack said, ignoring Rarity’s sarcasm. “Had my whole world turned upside down a month ago, and still trying to figure out all it means. But, I do know something and it shouldn’t matter what else happens-you’re all ma friends, and I should have been nicer to ya all. Shouldn’t have had to vent my anger on ya all because you were handy.”

“Applejack,” Rarity said, coming up to her friend. “I forgave you a long time ago. Thank you for saying that you understand.” And then Rarity gave Applejack a huge hug.

Of course, Fluttershy had to join in, then Twilight Sparkle, then Pinkie Pie trying to hug them all at once…

The pegasus flying the chariot realized that this was going to be one of those interesting flights.

And, kept their eyes looking forward.


When the chariot landed, Kibitz was there, checklist in hand. “Ah, Princess Twilight Sparkle,” he said. “I have word from Princess Celestia.”

“Oh?” Twilight Sparkle asked, watching as her friends got out.

“Yes, your Highness. Your friends will all be quartered in the West Tower tonight, and will see Princess Celestia before Dawn Court,” Kibitz replied. “She also asked me to inform you that she wishes to see you for tea when you get settled in, in the Lotus Gardens.”

Twilight Sparkle looked at Kibitz and sighed. “Is everything in my room?”

“Yes, your Highness,” Kibitz replied. “And, I will lead your friends to the West Tower.”

Twilight Sparkle trotted off, as the rest were lead towards the West Tower. “Hey, where is the sugarcube going?” Applejack asked.

“Princess Celestia and Princess Luna have requested that Princess Twilight Sparkle meet them in the Lotus Gardens,” Kibitz said as he signaled off to the staff to carry the luggage (and Pinkie Pie, who was hiding in a box) to the West Tower. “It is...let us just say that for the Princesses, it is probably the only place that they can truly let their hair down with companionship.”

“Beg y’pardon?” Applejack asked, looking confused.

“It’s where the Princesses meet with ponies that they need to see them without a whole layer of court formality and such. It’s like being an honorary Apple and invited to the big family reunion,” Rarity translated.

“Ah. But, ain’t Twilight her important student and such?” Applejack asked, being lead by the rest of the ponies towards the West Tower.

“I suspect that the Princesses need to say something to Princess Twilight Sparkle in a way that there is...a buffer?” Kibitz mused. “And, the Lotus Gardens are the most private portion of the Castle short of the Princesses’ own bedrooms. The scandal if Princess Twilight Sparkle was in the Princesses bedroom would be terrifying!”

“I suppose that would be an issue,” Rarity mused…”But, regardless, shall we be on our way?”


“Apple Bloom,” Applejack said. “Can I speak with ya before I get settled in?”

“Sure,” Apple Bloom said, letting Applejack into her room.

Apple Bloom hadn’t heard a thing from Applejack since the night of the Liger Diablocus attack. She had sent scrolls, but…

“Could ya…,” Applejack was about to ask, but Apple Bloom released the body change spell the moment the door closed. Applejack stopped, sighed, and looked at Apple Bloom’s flank. “Y’got your Cutie Mark.”

“I did,” Apple Bloom said.

Applejack looked at her Cutie Mark. “Kingston Black,” she said, remarking at the apple that was the head of the hammer. “Good cider apple, bit tart otherwise. You look good, Apple Bloom.”

“Thank you,” Apple Bloom said, and took a deep breath. “Applejack…”

“Wish you had been, damn it, wish you could have been honest with me up front,” Applejack interrupted. “It’s looking back at the years we spent, and I know ya didn’t want to screw things up.” Applejack sighed. “Look, sugar plum, y’screwed up bad. But, Big Mac and I...if you want to come home, you’re welcome to. Apples don’t turn away foundlings, and you’re family.”

Apple Bloom looked at Applejack. “But, why…”

“I was angry,” Applejack said, holding her temper in check. “Two years, Apple Bloom, that I thought Big Mac was ma brother. That I knew that ma angel was near me, the one I loved...and didn’t even know his name!”

Apple Bloom looked at the floor. “I can’t say any more than sorry, and be better,” Apple Bloom said softly. “What more do ya want?”

Applejack looked at Apple Bloom, tilted her chin up with her hoof, then hugged her. “Ma sister to come home. Can ya do that?”

Apple Bloom started to cry, tears of joy. “Yea, I think I can do that.”


“I’m glad to see you,” Rarity said.

Her and Sweetie Belle were looking at each other in the bedroom they were sharing that night.

“Letters are nice, but the personal touch...always important,” Rarity said, walking around Sweetie Belle. “You have grown out very well...Mom and Dad would be happy to know that.”

“Are they my parents?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“I got a letter from them. They’re...not happy as to what happened, but they’ve always wanted another daughter,” Rarity replied. “Once the issues are resolved here, Mom and Dad want to get the paperwork filed. As Applejack so aptly put it, ‘we don’t turn away foundlings’.”

“What about…,” Sweetie Bell started to ask.

“Me? I’m angry, yes. But, Sweetie Belle...remember, I was the Nightmare Rarity for a while,” Rarity interrupted. “I know what that kind of power does to a pony’s soul. And, I know how that would scare a foal to do...desperate things to avoid.”

Rarity looked around...and saw the rose that she had sent to Sweetie Belle, floating over the dresser, without a drop of water around it or a vase or anything. “Sweetie Belle, what is going on with that rose?” Rarity asked.

“Oh, that,” Sweetie Belle blushed. “It’s an experiment-well, besides the long-term levitation spell. If you can see the bottom, near the cut, there’s a very, very small teleportation portal around the base of the rose. It’s connected to one of the garden ponds, and the angle of the portal is very tricky, but when done properly the flower is still watered…”

“Sweetie Belle, this is…,” Rarity looked in shock at the work.

“Twilight Sparkle helped me with a lot of it!” Sweetie Belle blurted out. “She worked out most of the calculations! I just...made them work…”

Rarity looked at Sweetie Belle and sighed. “I’m almost feeling silly having brought this…,” and she brought the bundle of roses that she had been working on out of Elsewhere to show Sweetie Belle.

“Wow…,” Sweetie Belle gushed, “I mean, the symbolism alone...purity, innocence, grace, and charm...is...this how you think of me?”

“How else should I think of my sister?” Rarity asked.

Sweetie Belle began to tear up near the corner of her eyes and lunged at Rarity, hugging her without mercy. “I’m...I’m glad to be your sister, Rarity.”


“And, you should have seen her diving,” Rainbow Dash said to Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy, using her hooves to demonstrate what Scootaloo did that day. “WHAM! Huge splash, she grabs the foal, makes it safely to the bottom, and dragged her and the foal to the shore safely. Easily the most awesome thing that I’ve ever seen.”

“Hey, if you’d seen the foal first, I’d be diving in after you, Rainbow Dash,” Scootaloo blushed.

“And, hey! You got your Cutie Mark!” Pinkie Pie said, noticing Scootaloo’s side. “But, what does it mean? I mean, big wings and a halo don’t seem to scoot around a lot and…”

“Princess Luna just smiled and said that ‘Mom had a sense of humor’ when I got it,” Scootaloo replied. “I’m hoping they’ll explain it to me one day…”

“I am glad you got your Cutie Mark,” Fluttershy said, looking at Scootaloo and her wings. “And, I’m glad you can finally fly. You look very, very happy.”

“I am,” Scootaloo replied. “But, I’m worried about tomorrow-Princess Celestia just said she ‘came to a decision’, and we don’t know what it is yet.”

“Come on, this is the Princess,” Rainbow Dash said. “She’s gonna let you come home with me tomorrow.”

“How do you know that?” Fluttershy asked.

“Okay, I’m guessing...but, I’m still serious about what I said that night, Scootaloo. You need a home, I’m willing to give you one,” Rainbow Dash retorted.

“I hope that Twilight learns something from Princess Celestia,” Pinkie Pie said. “I tried to find where they went, but I can’t find her or them.”

“So?” Fluttershy asked.

“But...but…,” Pinkie Pie began to tear up a bit, “I always know where they are! Except, right now, I don’t!”

“Pinkie Pie, she’s probably just with the Princess,” Rainbow Dash tried to comfort Pinkie Pie.

“You don’t understand,” Pinkie Pie began to sob, “I always know where my friends are, but I don’t know where they are now. I don’t know where they are, but I know they were here and they’ll be back, but I don’t know where they are right now…”

Fluttershy hugged Pinkie Pie. “She’ll be back, soon enough.”

“Oh, no,” Pinkie Pie said, stopping her tears, “I know exactly when she’ll be back, and we won’t see her until tomorrow, at the meeting about what happens to the CMC.”

“How do you know this?” Rainbow Dash asked, raising an eyebrow in confusion.

“I stole a look at the script. There’ll be a transition, then Twilight Sparkle’s going to meet with the Princesses, and then it’s tomorrow,” Pinkie Pie smiled gleefully.

“Pinkie Pie,” Rainbow Dash face-hoofed herself, “sometimes, you are so random.”

“Occasionally!” Pinkie Pie agreed. “But, it does make for a great scene transition!”


Twilight Sparkle sighed. Princess Celestia’s entire concept on protocol could be summed up as “only as much as needed, otherwise to Tartarus with the rest.” Oh, there were rules to the Day Court, and you broke them and protocol at your own risk. But, Princess Celestia didn’t demand the impossible or the implausible from ponies. She was more interested in the substance of ponies doing well, over the formalized dance of court protocol.

One of the few exceptions to this was the Lotus Gardens. And, here, Princess Celestia’s rules were cold-forged from a steel billet, hammered into shape by relentless Gods. Which was why she had spent nearly an hour under the ministrations of the various hoofmaidens and why she was walking down this anonymous hallway in a full kimono. The kimono was a deep silk purple, embroidered with the symbolism of the Element of Magic and Twilight Sparkle’s Cutie Mark, formally tied with a full obi. Her hair done in the full style that the outfit demanded, with hair sticks of bleached lacquered bamboo and woven ribbons. Her tail intricately braided and tied behind her in the same pattern. Ribbons woven into her wings, perfectly prepared so that she could open or close her wings without issue. Jewelry hanging from a horn ring and her ears in silver and rubies. Her hooves tapped in the shoes that she was wearing, a soft wooden sound on stone. Oh, and a cloth-wrapped package in her mouth, as well.

She stopped at one spot along the hallway. Counted bricks. Counted again, and then her horn glowed slightly. The wall...did not so much open as merely the massive bricks in the wall seemed to move aside, like soldiers in a formal drill. The opening was barely larger than Twilight Sparkle in her full regalia, and as the very end of her tail passed the threshold, the doorway closed again. She lit her horn again, and walked carefully down the hallway that she was in.

A few moments later, she turned the corner, and her hooves stepped onto the grass of the Lotus Garden. Somehow, despite Twilight Sparkle’s efforts to map the Castle, she never quite understood where everything was kept, at times. And, the Lotus Garden was one of those things. By any conventional three-dimensional map of the Palace, the Lotus Gardens should be a foot under the surface of the middle of the Eastern Moat. Yet, she strode out onto soft turf, maple and cypress trees carefully organized around a number of small nooks and tables. The entire area was under a circular dome of stone, but lit within and around by soft fairy lights. If needed, the dome could glow to slightly less than daylight, but the lighting here was only slightly brighter than “normal” night-time, the stars perfectly recreated and flowing on the ceiling. She looked around, and saw that the main house, near the center of the eight square acre circle that was the Gardens, was lit.

More calmly than she felt, Twilight Sparkle walked carefully towards the main house, stopped at the porch to remove her shoes, and walked carefully across the wooden floor to the main area of the house. With her front hoof, she opened the sliding wooden-and-paper door, and saw that Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were waiting for her there. Both were fully, and formally dressed in kimonos as well-Princess Celestia in eggshell white and Princess Luna in a dark blue that was only slightly offsetting her own fur. Between them, sat an iron teapot and four cups. Twilight Sparkle bowed at the door, and waited.

“Please, come in, Princess Twilight Sparkle,” Princess Celestia said formally. Twilight Sparkle rose from her bow, and came around to the opposite side of the table, putting down her package beside herself. Princess Celestia set out the tea cups, and Princess Luna poured all three cups with tea. They all waited, lifted the cups with their front hooves, took a sip, and set them down again.

“A gift from Tsukuyomi-no-Mikoto, Princess Celestia?” Twilight Sparkle asked.

“Yes, Princess Twilight Sparkle,” Princess Luna replied. “Do You enjoy it?”

Twilight Sparkle considered this seriously. “I am not usually a fan of green teas, Princess Luna. This one is good for a green tea,” Twilight Sparkle said, considering. They took another sip of tea. “I’ve gotten a letter from Princess Cadence, Princess Luna.”

“And, what does Our sister have to say?” Princess Luna asked.

“She wishes she was here, of course,” Twilight Sparkle nodded. “Her and Shining Armor are working hard to get the capital ready for the Equestrian Games. And, they hope to be ready in plenty of time.”

“Princess Cadence was always the sort that would make sure everything was perfect,” Princess Celestia said. “Which was one of the reasons why I did not suspect the Changeling Queen was her just being a nervous Bridezilla.”

They all took a sip of tea.

That was what they did for an hour, polite and calm conversation, then the last of the tea was finished, Princess Celestia put away all the items-the cups, the pot, and the mats the tea cups rested on-they had used, leaving the table clean. Twilight Sparkle lifted her package to the table. “A gift, Princess Celestia,” Twilight Sparkle said.

“Thank you,” Princess Celestia replied, unwrapping it with her hooves to reveal cinnamon-dusted gingerbread cookies. They all had two of the cookies, then Princess Celestia set the rest aside. She sighed softly, and looked at Twilight Sparkle. “Princess Twilight Sparkle, before we speak further, I must ask for your confidence-and discretion-until tomorrow morning. May I have that?”

Twilight Sparkle looked taken aback at this. “You always have that, Princess Celestia,” she said, getting over her shock.

“This moment may strain that,” Princess Celestia sighed. “I have kept you away from the investigation into the Order to concentrate on your friends. Despite that, I have allowed you to gather information on what has happened so you might be ready for what might happen next. And, what happens next is...dangerous.”

“During Our investigation,” Princess Luna said, “We have found that three of the ponies that had the list of potential Element candidates have vanished or died in the last three years. We have no way of determining which one released the information, if any of them did. The remaining seventeen have passed truth spell examination-they have not shared the list outside of those that have been cleared for the information. In addition, the Guard had found one of the ponies responsible for the summoning on Ponyville. After her capture, she committed suicide by unraveling herself.”

Twilight Sparkle winced at that thought. A unicorn using unraveling to power their spells...the act of unraveling itself was one step short of suicide, but to get that much power meant she was planning on doing as much damage as she could during her death. “Are there any other leads, Princess Luna?” Twilight Sparkle asked.

“None,” Princess Celestia said simply. “And, we may be running short on time. There is an unconfirmed report that the Order is ready to move soon. If this is the case...we must gamble on the foals.”

“I don’t like the sound of that, Princess Celestia,” Twilight Sparkle said. “What is your gamble?”


Which was why she was standing in the throne room, the day after, as her friends, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle were standing there before the Day Court officially began. Princess Celestia and Luna looked out across the crowd, and nodded. “DCS Banks, I’m glad you’re able to make it here.”

DCS Runny Banks and DS Misty Drops came from the main hall doors, DCS Banks still wearing some bandages from his injuries. “Downed, but not out, Your Majesty,” DCS Banks smiled. “How may I help you today?”

“First things first,” Princess Celestia said, looking at Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle. “Your greatest fear is relieved-I was never going to execute or put you in a prison cell or anything else for just being...well, you. Mind you, some of your stunts to get Cutie Marks…” Princess Celestia shook her head. “And, I can tell you something else-who your parents are, in a genetic sense.”

“The hair samples,” Apple Bloom said. “So...who are we related to?”

“Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, you are, well...my daughters. Mine, and Applejack’s, in the case of Apple Bloom, and mine and Rarity’s in the case of Sweetie Belle,” Princess Celestia said. “They contributed half of your genetic material, which means in a sense, they are your parents, as much as your sisters. Which makes getting the adoption paperwork properly settled only required me to glare at some of the ponies in charge.”

“And, what about me?” Scootaloo asked.

“You are My daughter, Scootaloo,” Princess Luna said. “And, the daughter of a pony named Comet Tail. I am sorry to say that you cannot meet her-she died two years ago, stopping a major storm system from hitting Trottingham. Without her sacrifice, thousands would have died.”

“Oh…,” Scootaloo said softly. Then, she perked up a bit. “That’s why you were able to be in my dreams so easily!”

“Yes, because you are My daughter, we share a link that I did not understand at first, but now I do,” Princess Luna replied.

“So, does that mean you’ll be adopting her, Princess Luna?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“No, it means that WE will be adopting her,” Princess Luna looked at Rainbow Dash with a raised eyebrow. “You have helped to raise her more than I have. That I was on the Moon at the time does not quite excuse my lack of care.”

Everypony in the room gave a low, soft sigh of relief. Princess Celestia smiled. “Next, DCS Banks-I need you back. Now.”

DCS Banks looked around, and sighed. “I suspect you’d wanted me back in when you asked me to take the case. If I say no?”

“If you say no, I will honor your sabbatical,” Princess Celestia said. “I am sorry about your wife and her death, and I would never ask you back to duty unless I truly needed your services.”

“‘Back to duty?’” DS Drops asked, looking at DCS Banks. “You were on the job the entire time your wife was suffering from horn rot, I know ‘cause I was a patrol colt at the time. What does she mean?”

“What she means,” DCS Banks said with a sigh, “is that besides being one of Canterlot’s finest, I’m also a Special Investigator. When Dream Valley got horn rot...I asked for sabbatical time, as you can never leave the SI. You can retire, you can take a sabbatical, you can be sent to prison, you can be executed, but you can’t just quit. And, as it turns out, I’m back on that job again.”

DCS Banks firmly squared his jaw, stood straight on his hooves, and saluted in the style of the Royal Equestrian Army to his horn. “If you can use one worn out investigator, your Majesty, I’ll do my best at the job.”

“Runny Banks, you are a well polished and well tuned investigator, with a most sardonic sense of humor,” Princess Celestia corrected gently, and pulled out of Elsewhere a simple sheet of black metal, about as big as one of her eyes. She used her telekinesis to float it over to Runny Banks, whom took it in his telekinesis. When he did...the metal seemed to change, and to the ponies looking at it.

In his telekinesis, the black metal sheet had a picture of Runny Banks, as he was right now. Also, in formal words, written in softly glowing golden calligraphy under the picture-”This Pony is my servant and trusted right front hoof. Extend all aid and comfort to him that you would to me” and the official seal of the Diarchy Throne.

The metal did not change color. It did not change shape, and the black metal could clearly be seen where the picture and the writing and the seal were. Neither were covering each other, but one could somehow make out the metal and the words at the same time.

It was a badge of authority that very few ponies were given.

It was the badge of the Special Investigators, Princess Celestia’s ghostly corps of spies and truth-seekers. And assassins.

And, Runny Banks looked at his badge and made it vanish into Elsewhere. “Well, what is my assignment, your Majesty?”

“That will depend entirely upon what Our children decide,” Princess Celestia said, looking at the three foals.

“Um, yes?” Apple Bloom asked, looking up at her.

“I am confronted by a problem, and I need your help to make a decision. We have been trying to find any evidence to lead us back to the Order of the Eternal Night and have failed. All we know...all we suspect, is that they plan upon moving soon. This leads to what I must ask you. First of all, as long as you are in Canterlot, you are safe. You are as protected as We are, and as long as you wish to stay, you may.

“Or, you can return to Ponyville. This will, I am afraid to say, make you into a target. But, while you are there, we have been making preparations in case there is another incident of this type,” Princess Celestia said.

“The Guard is being expanded from a reinforced platoon to a full company,” Princess Luna said. “In addition, members of the Night Watch have been moving into position and have established a caern near Ponyville. You may get your wish very soon, Apple Bloom, to meet thestrals. There are other forces, that Runny Banks will be in charge of, to keep you safe.”

“By placing you back in Ponyville, openly as alicorns,” Princess Celestia said, “You will be in danger from the Order. But, by your return, they must come into the open to strike at you. By doing that, they can be captured and their threat ended.”

“It is risky,” Princess Luna said, “and, if We had any other option, we would take it. But, We must ask now-will you aid Us in this?”

As the Princesses laid out their plans, Twilight Sparkle listened with half an ear. She had heard all of this last night. And, she remembered the last part of the conversation between her and Princess Celestia. The part that they weren’t going to tell the three foals. “And, in the event that we cannot prevent them from carrying out their plans...you will have to do what is necessary. The Nightmare cannot return to Equestria, Princess Twilight Sparkle. Without the Elements of Harmony, we lack a way of defeating the Nightmare and permitting it’s power to fuel whatever dreams of horror the pony that possesses it has.

“If worse comes to worse...you may have to destroy them, Princess Twilight Sparkle, to keep them from being used. It is a cruel burden, but one that you must take if they say yes.”

The three foals looked at each other, and considered silently. “I want to know,” Apple Bloom said, “why they killed Mama. We all do. And, more. We agree, Princess Celestia.” Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle nodded in agreement.

“Then,” Princess Celestia replied, “we will send you home today, with your families. But first, today, all of you will stand with us and face the Day Court. For, I will not let my daughters be hidden anymore. And, for any reason.”

Author's Note:

Yay! Family trees for the CMC have now been established!

Next up, watching Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon pucker up as if they swallowed a whole shipping container of lemons...