• Published 23rd Feb 2014
  • 3,387 Views, 155 Comments

We Three Alicorns - zakueins



An attack on Ponyville means that the Cutie Mark Crusaders must reveal a deep, dark secret. And, face off against a threat that would harm all Equestria.

  • ...
4
 155
 3,387

The Revelation

Dear Princess Celestia,

As you can see in the second and the follow-up reports, somepony summoned a pack of six Liger Diablocus in Ponyville a few hours ago. Our rough assessment is that they did the summoning in a stolen, fully enclosed cart that they had wheeled up to the middle of the Ponyville Square.

The chariot pegasui were flying for all they were worth. The magic bubble that kept Princess Celestia from being blown away by the wind was definitely being tried to it’s fullest.

Another scroll appeared in a belch of green fire, forming a small pile at her hooves. All of them were unopened.

She had started to wear the corners of the scroll she had opened a bit raw.

All six of the Liger Diablocus, I suspect, were targeted on the Bearers of the Elements. Reports from other ponies indicated that they chased after Bearers to the exclusion of all other targets, including small foals and pregnant mares. To summon so many of them and to control them so well probably required at least four to five very skilled unicorns. Probably more, but from the size of the cart the upper limit is six unicorns.

Princess Luna stopped reading over Princess Celestia’s shoulder a while ago. She picked up the second scroll and started to read it. “Twilight Sparkle is very complete,” Princess Luna said, “But, anypony that could pull off this kind of summoning-assuming they were not suicidal-would be very certain to cover their tracks against magical and forensic tracking. Perhaps we will be lucky.”

Princess Celestia ignored Luna’s distraction. She kept reading the same words over and over again.

During the attack, a few ponies were injured. Most will recover shortly, with even the worst injured being out of the hospital within a few days. Our preparations and planning helped with this, as they ran for the shelters as soon as trouble started.

Princess Celestia said, “I thought Twilight Sparkle was a bit paranoid about this and her testing. I am happy she was as paranoid as she thought she was-and she was right.”

“Yes,” Princess Luna said.

However, during the attack, something else happened. Three ponies revealed something that nopony had known previously. They saved lives, but there is a story behind it.

One you must hear as soon as you can get here.

Thank you.

Your Faithful Student,
Princess Twilight Sparkle

Princess Luna tugged at the letter with her telekinesis. “Sister, she is all right. We would know if she sent that letter under any kind of duress or compulsion.”

“But,” Princess Celestia asked, “what happened there? And, why will not Twilight Sparkle tell us by letter?”

“We will find out soon,” Princess Luna replied, and nodded out of the chariot. Princess Celestia looked over the rim of the chariot as well.

They were coming in for a landing in front of the Ponyville Library.


Ponyville was very, very good at picking up the pieces after a major disaster. Ponies were clearing up messes, measuring for damages, doing emergency repairs, and in general getting things done. A few carts of debris were being taken out of town, boards and bricks and windows were being brought in. Ponies were filling out insurance paperwork, soon to be the bane of insurance adjusters all across Equestria. Mostly because they had to be processed and paid for rather quickly. Nopony wanted to be Manehattan Mutual, that tried to delay payment on a Ponyville claim and was on the wrong end of two Royal Canterlotian Voices.

And, some entrepreneurial pony had set up a muffin-and-coffee stand, which quite a few ponies were using.

Princess Celestia saw the town square where the summoning happened, and mentally approved that the area was cordoned off and Crown Investigators were searching the remains. As she came in for a landing, she could feel the trickle of active magic around the Ponyville Library, magical reinforcing spells built into the structure of the tree itself.

And spells so powerful that even if the rest of Ponyville was blasted clean off of Equestria, nothing in the library would even be disturbed. Princess Celestia smiled and sighed to herself. So like Twilight Sparkle, she thought, and carefully dismounted from the chariot.

The guard ponies were waiting by the door, and one of them let her and Princess Luna in. “Twilight, are you all right?” Princess Celestia asked, coming in.

“We’re all fine,” Twilight Sparkle replied. She looked a bit nervous and looked around. “The problem is...well, this.”

Twilight Sparkle stepped aside, and saw the three alicorn foals. All of them stood there, looking sad and trying not to cry. Princess Luna stepped forward, and looked at them, stopping when her eyes found Scootaloo. “Scootaloo, is that you?” she asked.

“Yea, it is,” Scootaloo replied, her head down. After the fight, Twilight Sparkle had insisted that they get showers in-and Rarity had fully groomed them. “I’m sorry, Princess Luna. We all are.”

“For what, my children?” Princess Celestia asked.

“For everything we’ve done over the last two years. Just, if you’re going to execute us or exile us to the Moon...can we say goodbye to our friends first?” Sweetie Belle replied, looking beaten.

“What have you done that would make you fear that?” Princess Celestia asked, looking across them all. “I will not believe that you have done anything except be as good as you can be.”

“Y’might want to pull up a cushion,” Apple Bloom said, “this is gonna take a while.”


The first memory they had was of a old unicorn mare, playing with wooden blocks above them. Her fur was so black as to almost suck in light and her mane was short and white.

The pony that would later call herself “A” remembered those blocks, and how she liked to assemble things out of them. Palaces of dreams, towers set so precariously that even a slight flutter of wing could knock them over, houses and homes...all of them were in the domain of A.

B, on the other hand, first remembered the fuzzy little doll she got. It was a stuffed unicorn doll that was almost as big as she was, with a very impressive horn. That, and lots of ice, were what helped her to get through her teething time.

C was in love with a set of small toys, My Little Wonderbolts, and she still smiled when she thought of Bitty Dash and all of her friends.

“Hey!” Rainbow Dash said, with bright, smiling eyes, “did you get the ones that had the full wing articulation action?

“Yep! And, the Training Center playset, too!” Scootaloo said, with bright and smiling eyes as well.

Both of them had the warm glow of nostalgia over some of the best toys of their foalhood.

“Ahem,” Princess Celestia said. “Shall we continue with the story?”

Princess Luna whispered to the two of them, “I think I still have my Shadowbolt Babies collection, you can see them when we are done.”

The unicorn mare would feed them, play with them, and take care of them. One day, B learned a word.

That word was “mama”. The unicorn mare looked shocked, then smiled. “Well, yes. I am-as much as any pony could be-your mother.”

Then, she used her magic to lift B up and hugged her close, whispering into her fur, “I won’t ever let you be lost again.”


The next memories they had were of some time later, when they had just started to walk, fly, and the unicorn mare was starting to teach them how to read. All three of them called her “Mama”, and they asked her many, many questions.

“Why can’t we go outside, Mama?” A asked.

“We promise to be really, really quiet and everything,” B said.

“And, not show off our wings and such,” C said.

Mama smiled, and said. “Another year or two, I promise. We can’t let any pony see you yet.”

“Why not?” B asked.

Mama thought about it and said, “We’re spies.” She smiled. “We’re hiding out in the big mean city from big mean ponies and when you know enough and can go out without the big mean ponies finding us, we’ll go out to the park and play.”

“Yay! Spies!” The three fillies cooed and hugged their Mama tight.

“And, tomorrow, we’ll start to learn how to do magic,” Mama said.

All three of the fillies knew that magic was a Very Important Thing and that Mama wanted to teach them, and they were starting to get the sparks out of their horns that means they could learn it now. It was only a slightly better thing than apple tarts and flying!


“I’m surprised you believed that,” Twilight Sparkle said, absolutely deadpan.

“We were two years old,” Apple Bloom replied in a huff. “If Mama had told us that the moon was made out of cheese, we’d have sliced some to make sandwiches!”

“Twilight,” Princess Celestia said. “They are right. So, you were hidden in…”

“Manehattan,” Sweetie Belle said. “We figured that out about two years ago. After Mama got in that argument with the men that came by. And, somepony killed her.”

“She was murdered?” Rarity said. “Who would do such a horrible thing!”

“All I know is that the day before she died, two unicorns came by where we were living. Apple Bloom snuck down and listened to their conversation, and…”


“Are they ready yet?”

There were two unicorns sitting in the chairs facing Mama’s chair. The only thing that they could tell was that one was tall with a long horn, and one was short with a medium-length horn. A had snuck down because Mama didn’t have many ponies come by to visit. Next year, they’d be starting school and Mama was happy that all three of them could do body-changing spells, and hold them even through their sleep. It was very important to Mama that A could keep looking like an Earth pony, B could look like a unicorn, and C look like a pegasus all the time. They were very, very good with their magic, and Mama was very happy.

But, the two ponies that had come in? They scared Mama, and all three of them could tell.

“We don’t even know who the Pegasus bearer of the Elements is,” she said. “Yes, the time is coming close, but that doesn’t mean we should accelerate the time-table.”

“You were given them to raise, because you were the one who could teach them. They are the servants of our Mistress’ will, as are we,” the tall pony said. “We will find the Pegasus bearer in time. Our brethren have the spells ready to prepare their bodies and minds to be the proper servants.”

“We can’t...not until we know who the Pegasus is!” she almost yelled at them. A was starting to get scared, Mama never yelled. “If we can’t insert one in, it will be as bad as if we don’t have any to replace the Bearers. I just ask for confirmation that we know who the Pegasus bearer is, so we can prepare properly.”

The tall unicorn rolled off the chair, and nodded to her. “I will take your objection to the brethren. I expect to have a reply within two to three days. For the last sunset, sister.”

“For the coming of the eternal night, brother,” Mama said, and escorted the two ponies out the door.


“Apple Bloom, are you certain that was what they said?” Princess Celestia asked.

“Yes,” Apple Bloom said. “Ah got photographic memory, probably like you do.”

“And, it has been as much a burden and a blessing for me, as well,” Princess Celestia replied. She face-hooffed and shook her head in anger and sad frustration. “The Order. Why did it have to be the Order?”

“Um, Princess,” Fluttershy asked, “but, what is the Order?”

“The Order of the Eternal Night,” Princess Celestia said, getting settled into lecture mode. “According to what the Order believes, I am a ruthless tyrant that killed her sister Luna when she became powerful enough to end my dominion over the world. I used the Sun to hide thetrue Universe, keeping the power of everything under my own control. But, before the Nightmare Moon came and attacked me, she left her eight disciples information and spells so that when a thousand years had passed, she could be resurrected and resume the war so they could claim the power I had stolen for their own.”

There was a shocked silence, and Princess Luna looked at Princess Celestia, a pleading look in her eyes, “Sister, I did no such thing! My fight against you was mine alone, and nopony else! I told nopony else, had no disciples, and this creation is...is...horribly wrong!”

“Luna, I know,” Princess Celestia raised a hoof in a “peace” gesture. “I also know where the Order comes from, and if there is anything I am disappointed about, it is this. There are so many ponies out there that when given a choice between a complicated and difficult to explain truth or a simple and easy to understand lie, they will pick the lie. And, it did not help that Emperor Gustav Grimorus helped push this...this pack of travesties upon us!” Princess Celestia nearly rose from her cushion in anger, paused, took a deep breath, and settled back down.

“Emperor Grimorus?” Twilight Sparkle asked, not sure where the non sequitur came from about one of the historical emperors of the Griffin Kingdoms.

“Emperor Gustav Grimorus, he was Emperor about...209 ANM, Twilight Sparkle?” Princess Celestia asked.

“Yes, 209 ANM to 244 ANM,” she replied. “I heard we had a lot of problems with him during his reign.”

“Heh,” Princess Celestia laughed mirthlessly. “‘Problems,’ Twilight Sparkle, is a massive understatement. Between border incursions, provocations, planting stories in newspapers and libraries and very nearly causing us to have a Rainbow Factory-scale incident, I have absolutely no idea how he managed to sire no less than sixty-two potential heirs to the throne and keep up with all the other conspiracies that he was involved in. And, the Order of Eternal Night was him written all over it.

“He hid books in libraries all over Equestria, hired some ponies to serve as mouthpieces, forged documentation, and soon enough, we had a ‘Order of the Eternal Night’ ready to try and bring back the Nightmare Moon sooner. And, they were all waiting for his command, through his puppets, when he died of a heart attack plowing his newest concubine. One, I would note, was only a year younger in developmental terms than you, Twilight Sparkle, when we first met. Sour Time’s History of Winged Madness is a good book on him, and he pulled no punches in his description.”

“So, what happened to this Order thing?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“What happens to most cults that survive its original leadership-it mutated and went fractal. The outer church-the ‘causal’ believers-drifted away, but the hard core inner church went into the mystical underground. I suspected they were going to be a problem when Nightmare Moon came back, and I thought I had prevented it about...oh, fifteen years ago,” Princess Celestia replied.

“Now I knew where I’d heard those phrases,” Applejack said, her head and ears picking up. “Miss Pearbottom and the Church of the Black Worm! Big radio drama and everything, Granny Apple has the tapes still.”

“Yes, I worked with the writers of Miss Pearbottom, and we created the ‘Church of the Black Worm’. But, used all the phrases and theories of the Order of the Eternal Night, with the serial numbers filed off. The goal was to expose them, and make a mockery of them,” Princess Celestia replied. “How did you like the story, Applejack?”

“Shucks, one of the better Miss Pearbottom stories out there,” Applejack smiled. “Loved the pacing.”

“I wrote most of the dialog for the radio adaptation,” Princess Celestia beamed with pride. “Under a pseudonym, of course, but I was very happy with my results. And, I thought I’d made them into a joke. But, clearly, I did not.”

She looked at the three foals in the room. “I apologize for interrupting. What happened to your mother?”

The three foals looked at each other, and Sweetie Belle said, “After those ponies came by the house, Mama was scared. She had…”


A, B, and C had full saddle bags. These were the “in the event we have to run” bags, and Mama had given them instructions. “Go to the park. Stay there at least four hours. If I don’t come to pick you up, come back home. Don’t let anypony follow you home. If, for any reason, you can’t find me when you come home-run. Head for the train station, and open the notes in the bag.”

“Mama, everything will be okay!” A said, hugging Mama tight. “You’ll be all right!”

“I know,” Mama said, sadly. “But, it’s like having an umbrella when they say it might rain-you may not need it, but it’s nice to have when you do.”

So, A, B, and C went to the park. They could make themselves look like older foals, so it wasn’t too hard to go and play. They were there only two hours when an explosion rocked the park. A, B, and C looked, and B gasped.

“That’s near home!” B said, and all three of them ran home.

They were good girls-they make sure nopony followed them home. But, when they got home, their house was a smoking hole in the ground. City Guard and the Fire Department had the entire area blocked off. And, ponies were gathered around, looking at it.

“What happened?” some pony asked.

“Big fire at the house,” another said. “Gas leak, from what the firemares said.”

“Wow, anypony hurt?”

“Yea, unicorn by the name of Midnight Bloom,” one of the observers said, “main roof beam collapsed on her and crushed her instantly.”

As they watched, the paramedic pegasus brought out a sheet-wrapped stretcher. The three fillies could see one of the legs of the pony on the stretcher-and Mama had those scars on her leg.

They snuck back out of the crowd, and ran for the train station as soon as they were clear.


They cried in a bathroom stall together. They needed to cry now, so they could be stronger later. Mama needed them to be strong, they needed each other now.

A remembered the letter, and took it out of the bag with her telekinesis. She opened it and let all three of them read it with her.

The letter read-

My lovely daughters, if you are reading this, the worst has happened. The Order has learned of my betrayal of them, and I cannot let them use you as weapons in a war that was a lie a thousand years ago.

In these bags are enough bits to get you to a town called Ponyville. In Ponyville, there are three ponies. One is a Unicorn named Rarity, a dressmaker and fashion designer. One is an Earth pony named Applejack, a farmer of apples. And, in Ponyville, there is a third pony, a pegasus, whom you will know when she reveals herself.

She, like the other two ponies, are the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony, a powerful magical artifact that is capable of many beautiful things.

Find a way into their lives. Stay with them. Princess Celestia has been preparing for the return of the Nightmare Moon for a long time and she will have prepared the Bearers with a great deal of magical power to win the battle she could not a thousand years ago.

They will protect you from the Order.

Please, with my love and blessing, live.

With love,

Midnight Bloom (aka Mama)

A rolled the letter up again, and put it in her saddle bags. They finished crying, and figured out how they should look.

And, three foals-a pegasus, a unicorn, and an Earth pony-walked out of the bathroom.


“So, you took the train from Manehattan to Ponyville. And…,” here, Twilight Sparkle’s voice trailed off.

“Did...did you...kill Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle? Snuck yourself into their places?” Twilight Sparkle asked very softly.

“No,” Apple Bloom said, sadly. “An’, here and now’s where we get to the point where you start hating us. Especially you, Applejack. Here’s the first part. There never was a Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle before two years ago. None. We made ‘em up the same time we figured the best way to hide a pegasus was one with wings that didn’t quite work.”

“Now, just hold on there,” Applejack said, confused and angry. “We got photos and papers and all that! You were here more than two years!”

“And, Sweetie Belle, Mom and Dad write letters asking about you on their trips all over the place, after they…,” here, Rarity’s voice trailed off, “after they left you with me…”

“Yea, that…,” Scootaloo said. “This is the part where it gets interesting. We got into town, and we figured that we’d best start with Applejack. I mean, a farm on the outskirts. If anything went wrong, we’d have time to fix it.”

“And, of course, we said the exact wrong words,” Sweetie Belle said.


“What could possibly go wrong?” A said.

They were in Sweet Apple Acres and tracking down all the pony inhabitants took only a few minutes. A few sleep spells, some levitation to get them all into place, and the three of them were ready to get to work.

“Yea, but I was thinking…” B said. “I mean, you can still sort of smell Applejack on Big Macintosh, can’t ya?”

“So, they’re big huggers,” A retorted. “You got the script ready?”

“Yea. I don’t like doing this, A,” B replied. “It feels wrong to mess with their memories.”

“Better start calling me Apple Bloom from here on out, Sweetie Belle,” A, no Apple Bloom, said. “And, we can’t just show up. We gotta be their siblings, else they won’t have reasons to keep us around.”

“Yea, I know, Apple Bloom,” Sweetie Belle said with a sigh. “I still don’t like doing this.”

“Neither do I,” Apple Bloom nodded. “But, y’got a better idea?”

“If I did, I’d be telling you, not having Scootaloo pretend to be a deformed pegasus. We could have made the story work with working wings,” Sweetie Belle said, looking at the three Earth ponies.

“She’ll let them ‘grow in’ in a year or two,” Apple Bloom said. “Now, let’s get to work.”

The two of them concentrated, and started to work on the memories of Applejack. Memory modification was a very dangerous thing, and they didn’t want to rush-or have any of the steps go wrong. Carefully, they inserted the three of them as foals into the lives of the Apple ponies. Other siblings that came by the farm would need only slight manipulations, easily done by alicorns.

Even alicorn foals.

With a sharp inhale of breath, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle sat down on their flanks and rested. “Scootaloo should be done, and…”

Scootaloo came running up. You could see that she was trying very hard to not pop her disguise magic and fly. “Did you modify their memories? We need to alter the script!” she whispered insistently.

“Why’s that?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Applejack and Big Macintosh! They’re not brother and sister, like we thought. They’re…”


“WHAT!?!?I”Applejack yelled. “Me and Big Macintosh, married! We’re brother and sister, how does that work?!?!?”

“Big Macintosh was a foundling, nopony knew who his parents were,” Sweetie Belle said sadly. “Your parents adopted him. He fell in love with you, and after you went to Manehattan and got your Cutie Mark, he came after you to bring you home. At some point, the two of you gushed at each other, and he admitted that he was going to ask you to marry him. And, the two of you did before you came home from Manehattan.”

“We got there three days after the two of you came home,” Apple Bloom continued, sadly. “And...we caught Big Mac out of bed, you weren’t wearing any wedding rings, ‘cause you wanted to have Mom’s ring resized to your leg. For what it’s worth, sis, you went to the altar a virgin and you weren’t one when we got to the farm.”

“I’m not your sister,” Applejack hissed angrily. “Y’nothing but a nest-stealing cuckoo bird, lying about me and Big Mac to confuse us. You three mixed up that Love Poison stuff to get Big Macintosh and Cheerlee together!”

“It was a stupid mistake!” Sweetie Belle replied, trying not to cry. “We were hoping to keep things confused and get our Cuite Marks!”

“You’re lying! We can’t be married!” Applejack yelled.

Scootaloo hung her head between her legs. “Twilight Sparkle, behind the ‘Mythology’ section, fourth row, third shelf, is a loose board. Behind it is a saddle bag. Could you bring it over, please?”

Applejack glared angrily at Apple Bloom, Apple Bloom was trying not to cry, Rarity didn’t know what to think, Fluttershy was as nervous as she could be without wetting herself, and Pinkie Pie was starting to look a little grey and grim. Rainbow Dash kept looking curiously at Scootaloo, and the Princesses didn’t know what to say.

Twilight Sparkle left, found where Scootaloo told her, and brought back the saddle bag. Scootaloo opened up one of the compartments and spread the contents out in front of Apple Jack.

Wedding invitations for the whole Apple clan. The marriage license from Manehattan. Mom and Dad’s wedding rings. A cheesy photo of Big Macintosh and Applejack kissing. Love letters, in Big Macintosh’s and Applejack’s hoof writing. Applejack fell onto her haunches in shock, and looked at the pile, her mouth open.

“We couldn’t mess with the memories any more-I mean, we’d gotten dangerously close to doing real damage from what we did. So, yea, it was easier to keep the lie going. After that, that was why we formed the Cutie Mark Crusaders. We made a promise that the day we got our Cutie Marks, whatever else happened, we’d tell you all the truth,” Apple Bloom said. “And, we kept trying because it was wrong for us to mess with your heads and make you think we were family.”

“It was easier with Rarity. We worked on her memories, kept my history vague,” Scootaloo said in the silence, “and we kept working really hard and fast to get our Cutie Marks so we could...well, do what we’re doing now.”

“Applejack,” Apple Bloom said, “I’m very sorry. Ah hated doing what I did, but...thank you.”

“What?” Applejack asked in shock, looking at Apple Bloom.

“Whatever else happens, I’had a sister and brother for two years that loved me. Couldn’t ask for anything more than that,” she said, sadly.

“Well, our Cutie Marks,” Sweetie Belle said, “but that’s about it.”

“Some more stuff, but family and Cutie Marks, yea,” Scootaloo said.

A stunned silence filled the library.

“Did you keep a list of what modifications you performed?” Princess Celestia asked, breaking the silence with a calm voice.

Scootaloo opened up the second saddle bag and handed the huge scroll to Princess Celestia. “We kept very complete notes,” she said, “we knew that one day we’d have to fix our mess. And, while we’re scared of how it’ll all end, I’m glad we can fix it now.”

Princess Celestia took the scroll and looked at the three alicorns. “Twilight, do you have a bedroom they could use for tonight?”

“Yes,” Twilight Sparkle replied. “Spike, can you take them up there?”

“Children,” Princess Celestia said to the three, “We will leave tomorrow for Canterlot. You are not under arrest right now. If you try to escape, however, you will be. But, until a decision has been made, you are my guests. Now, go with Spike, and I will talk with you in the morning.”

“Come on,” Spike said with forced cheer. “Made some hay and raisin muffins for you to have before bedtime.”

As they left, the ponies looked at each other, and waited until the bedroom door closed.

Then, the argument began.


Before the argument even started, Princess Celestia said, “Applejack, Rarity, I will have healers over to Sweet Apple Acres before dawn tomorrow to undo the memory alterations. They cannot be erased, because that would do actual damage. But, they will be repaired so that the hidden memories are revealed and you know which memories are false and which memories are real.”

“Thank you,” Rarity said. “But, what will we do about them? My own sister...is she my sister?”

“She ain’t family,” Applejack ground out through clenched teeth. “Family don’t do this to family. If she’d asked…”

“And, what would you have said if she had asked, AJ?” Rainbow Dash retorted. “‘Oh, hi, Applejack, an evil cult out of radio dramas gave birth to me and my two sisters and they think you’re going to be an important pony, so can I hide out with you, pretending I’m your sister?’ You’d have called for a doctor and a cart to the nuthouse!”

“And, you aren’t upset about this?” Fluttershy asked quietly.

“Damn right I’m upset-Scootaloo’s been hiding how good of a flyer she’s been for years. She’s a natural, almost as good as I am now-and a damn sight better than I was at her age,” Rainbow Dash nodded at Fluttershy. “I’m wanting to train her, ‘cause she’s going to be one of the greats.”

“But, what about this ‘Order of Eternal Night’?” Twilight Sparkle asked. “Did they do the summoning, to lure the foals out of hiding? And, if so why?”

“You’re all missing the most important thing,” Pinkie Pie said.

They all looked at her.

ALICORN BIRTHDAY PARTY!” she exploded in a shower of confetti from behind her.

“Pinkie Pie! Do you know what they did?” Rarity very nearly stood up and wanted to hit the pink pony across the face with a hoof. “It’s not material for a party!”

“Well, of course not, we’ll have to figure that out later, but they were so scared and so afraid of what happened to their Mom and if you thought some big mean and nasty ponies were out to get out and you could hide like they did, wouldn’t you hide and make sure nopony knew who you were, so that nopony else would be hurt and…” Pinkie Pie ran on with her mouth, starting to turn slightly blue.

“Pinkie Pie!” Princess Luna commanded, “BREATHE!”

Pinkie Pie stopped, and took a huge gasping breath. “But, yea, they might have to go to bed without cupcakes for a few weeks because they did a bad thing, but they didn’t want to hurt anypony.”

“What they wanted,” Princess Celestia said, “and what they did are two entirely different matters. But, their intentions should be factored into our decisions, whatever they may be.”

“I’ve got a decision that I’ve made,” Rainbow Dash said. “How do you adopt a foal? ‘Cause, there’s no way I’m letting Scootaloo not have a family anymore. I've been thinking about this for a while-and now makes it more important. And,” she glared at Applejack and Rarity, “if they won’t take their family home, I’ll adopt the rest of them, too.”

Applejack looked ready to jump at Rainbow Dash-anger, frustration, shock, whatever was the trigger-but Rarity stepped in front of Applejack and said, “I don’t care where she came from. Sweetie Belle is as much my sister, even if she was not born of my parents. Tell me what paperwork needs to be done, Princess Celestia, so I can keep my sister.”

“I will look into the paperwork immediately,” Princess Celestia said. “But, there are three questions that we have not had answered.”

“Which are?” Rarity asked.

“Why do Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom look so much like their 'sisters', how did they become alicorns in the first place, and what was the Order of Eternal Night planning to do with them?” Princess Luna replied.

“There’s a fourth and most important question,” Twilight Sparkle said. “What is the Order planning on doing now?”