• Published 28th Feb 2014
  • 3,621 Views, 131 Comments

Shadows of the Past - Double Rainbow



(Sequel to A Path Long Forbidden) Flash now suffers from his past choices, and regrets everything he did. Unfortunately, Flash now suffers from depression because of his actions. As Flash struggles, he begins to question his future.

  • ...
11
 131
 3,621

Chapter 7: A Dangerous Deed

Shining Armor led the way up to the amazing castle that had an unusual amount of luster to it. Probably from the crystals in it. Flash concluded as he followed Shining.

"I kind of was expecting you to be wearing your uniform." Shining called to Flash, who turned his head to the side at the statement.

Flash rubbed the back of his neck. "I was, at least until a quarter way through the train ride."

Shining stopped and turned around. "Why, what happened? Flash, is there something wrong?" He got in Flash's face as he asked him.

Flash took a few steps back. "Uh, let this explain it." Flash opened his bag he had brought with him and pulled out his uniform, still bloodstained, and showed it to Shining, who reared back in shock.

"Who did this to you?" Shining gasped. Flash put the uniform away.

"Well. You see, it's not who did it to me, but what I did to somepony." Flash began to explain.

Shining seemed to crept up to Flash. "What did you do?"

Flash took another step back. "I was attacked on the train by a pony with a knife. When he was an inch from killing me a took out my own knife and stabbed him." Flash rubbed the back on his neck in pity. "If I deserve a punishment then do so as you see fit."

Shining sat back. "I don't see any punishment necessary since it was out of self-defense, but when I ask if the train ride was ok, I would like to know if anything goes wrong. Understand?"

Flash nodded, and Shining then shot a quizzical look at Flash. "Where do you have a knife? I don't see one." He said as he scanned Flash's body for a weapon.

"Um, right here." Flash flicked his wrist which extended the blade from under his glove. Shining looked at it with astonishment as Flash lifted his hoof to show him.

Shining looked at the glove and the blade. "Where did you get that? I-I've never seen anything like it."

Flash retracted the blade back into the glove. "I bought it from an engineer who had the design but nopony to back it. I liked it, so I funded him."

"With what money?" Shining asked.

Flash took the glove off. "My own. Want to try it?" He asked. Ugh, I'm delaying the inevitable, but who cares? He may like it. Flash sighed in his mind.

Shining took the glove and slide it on. "Ok now just flick your wrist, gently." Flash instructed, and Shining obeyed. As he flicked his wrist, the blade extended, and a smile grew across his muzzle.

"This is an incredible piece of weaponry." Shining said as he took off the glove and gave it back. "You have to tell me the makers' name sometime."

Flash put it back into his bag. "Yeah, it comes in handy."

When the two ponies reached a room on the far side of the castle, Shining opened the door and allowed Flash to enter, who thanked him and walked on. As the two were in the room and the door was closed, Shining turned to Flash.

"So," He began. "Why did you need to see me? What's the occasion?" He asked.

Flash exhaled slowly, unsure of what to say. "Um Shining, it's about Princess Twilight...She - er - I mean -" Flash was stopped by a hoof touching his muzzle.

Shining leaned in closer. "What has happened to my little sister?" His breath ran across Flash's muzzle.

Flash was almost scared of the tall white stallion. "N-Nothing, but, you see. I kinda think she, uh." Flash felt like he had shrunk, lowering his head, he muttered what felt like his last words. "She likes me."

"She what?" Shining listened closer. "Speak up."

Flash stared at him. "She loved me Shining, and the feeling is mutual. I want to ask if you were ok with it."

Shining sat back, his teal eyes piercing Flash like a laser. He tapped his hoof to his mouth a few times before responding. "Flash." He began. "I respect you, and trust you with full capabilities of the Royal Guard. But, this - this is a whole new thing. Are you sure she feels this way?"

Flash nodded. "Very."

"Explain please." Shining pressed.

What am I back in the court room? Flash sighed at Shining's response. "Well, she kind of told me, a-and kissed me." Flash stared at the floor.

Shining stood up, the great pony seemed to tower over Flash. "I just want to ask for you to allow Twilight's and my love for each other to 'bloom', so to say." He reasoned.

Leaning closer, Flash felt like he was going to get a hoof to the muzzle, but instead Shining stopped and stood up straight. He cleared his throat, then sighed. "You have my blessing Flash. I trust you enough to love my Twily." He seemed to smash into Flash's face, bringing him inches to his muzzle. "But if anything happens to my little sister. You're going to get it." He growled at Flash, before sitting back again. "Understand?"

Flash swallowed what seemed like a stone. "Yes sir." He trembled.

Shining dipped his head. "Then you have my blessing." He sighed, accepting that Flash loved his little sister. "I'll tell Cadance, she'll be delighted to hear." He managed to smile a little.

Flash bowed to Shining, holding back a smile. "Thank you sir."

When he rose to his hooves, to two ponies stared at each other for a few moments in an awkward silence. "Is that all you needed Flash?" Shining broke the silence.

"Well, actually I was wondering -" The sound of the doors opening interrupted Flash's sentence. When he looked over, he noticed Princess Cadance walking in.

She looked over at him and smiled. "Flash Sentry. It's so good to see you!" She gleamed. "What brings you back to the Crystal Empire?" She asked him, smiling with glee.

Flash rubbed cross his legs. "I just wanted to talk to Shining about something."

Cadance tilted her head. "About what?"

"Him and Twilight's - love interests." Shining cut in, and Flash's cheeks grew hot pink with embarrassment.

Cadance clapped her hooves. "Oh that's so great! Congratulations to you two! I know you'll make my little Twilight very happy Flash!"

Flash nodded, "Thank you Princess." his fur burning with the comfortably thought of the news being spread.

A guard skidded to a halt at the entrance of the doors. "You're Highness!" He sped into the room where the three ponies sat. He seemed to be out of breath. "Urgent news from Canterlot!" He panted. "Captain Flash Sentry is required to return immediately!"

Flash glanced at the guard, then to Shining and Cadance. "I will give you a ride back to Canterlot. Follow me." Shining headed out of the room, Flash tailing him along with the Crystal Guard.

Flash gathered his things and headed to a balcony of the castle where a carriage with two pegasi waited. Shining gestured for Flash to climb aboard, and he obeyed. Shining leaned on the side of the carriage. "This will take you back to Canterlot as fast as possible." He walked to the two pegasi up front. "As fast as you can colts."

The guards saluted. "Yes sir." One said, and with that, the carriage took off into the air quickly. Flash waved good-bye to Shining and Cadance, who waved back. Once out of sight, he turned around to watch the front of the carriage, he leaned over the edge and smiled. He enjoyed getting to see the Crystal Empire again, even if his "trip" was cut short.

He let his thoughts drift to Twilight. Her perfect purple mane, her beautiful amethyst eyes that sparkled. Flash became very dreamy, and slouched in the carriage. The rest of the trip would be nice and quiet.

~

"Captain! We are about to land!" The pegasi startled Flash from his day-dreams. He sat up., "What? Huh? I right here!" He looked around, and saw the Canterlot skyline. "Oh, ok! Thank you!" He called to them. The 8 hour train ride had become a rather short 3 hours. Flash was impressed at the pegasi's speed.

As the carriage touched down on a Canterlot Castle balcony, Flash climb out and was immediately met by his two friends. Both had panicked expressions on their faces.

Flash lost his smile he had gained from daydreaming. "What's wrong?" He asked in a mildly serious tone.

"It's Twilight, Flash." Night Breeze's tone was shaken. "She's disappeared. We don't know how or where she went."

Flash's heart fell to the pits of his stomach. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. He had just been dreaming about what he could now tell the mare he loved, and next thing he learns, is that she is gone.

In disbelief, Flash looks to his friends. "Let's go." He ordered, and takes off to his destination, Twilight's room.

When they skidded to a halt at the door to her room, Flash told his friends to wait for a second. Flash opened the door to the room, peered around, making sure it was clear, then gestured his friends to follow.

Once inside the room, the ponies turned to each other. "Why are we here Flash?" Dust asked.

"Because nopony just disappears without a trace. Look for clues, anything." Flash told him. "Let's get to work."

The ponies sifted through the room, checking everything - under the bed, the closet, any signs of breaking and entering. Finally, Flash went to check under a drawer near the door. As he perks up, he notices a piece of paper hanging from the door. "Night Breeze, Dust. Found something!"

The two rushed over to Flash as he pulled the note off the door. "What is it?" Dust asked, and Flash held up the note.

"A note?" Night Breeze asked in disbelief.

Flash shrugged. "Guess so, listen." He read the note out loud -

"We have your Princess, all we want is a simple exchange. Cooperate, and she lives. Defy, and she dies. It's simple really, Captain Flash Sentry. Come to the old abandoned mill outside of Canterlot for the deal tomorrow at midnight. Bring nopony, or else the Princess dies." Flash finished and stared at his friends wide-eyed, which they were too.

Night Breeze sat back, startled. "What do we do?"

Flash folded up the note and put it into his pocket. "I'll go after her."

Dust put a hoof on Flash's shoulder. "You can't do that. You'll die."

Flash spun around and looked at him, eyes welling with tears. "What choice do I have? Let a humble captain die or a Princess of Equestria?" He almost sobbed. He inhaled with his eyes closed, and then opened them and stared at Dust. "I'm going after her Dust. It's me these ponies want." He looked at the ground. "And it's her I love."

Night Breeze picked his head up and looked at Flash, both their mouths hung open at what Flash just revealed. Thought Night Breeze already knew about Flash's love, Dust didn't causing his reaction to be more, shocking. He merely closed his mouth and stared at Flash for a few moments. "Seriously?" He breathed.

Flash nodded. "It may not be allowed for regular guards to love a pony they protect, but I do know that it is allowed for the Captain to love a Princess. Take Captain Shining Armor for example." He pointed out, and the two ponies glanced at each other and nodded their understanding.

"Dust." He glared at his tan colored friend. "I don't want to hear a word about it."

Dust reared back and put his hooves up. "I'm not saying anything. I think its kinda cool."

Flash nodded. "I just need to think of something. I've got a day to think." Flash almost sounded like he was losing his mind. His voice trembled and he was heaving heavily with each word.

"Flash. I think you need to lie down." Night Breeze put one hoof on and Flash's shoulder and one of his chest. "You're worrying too much. We'll get her back, don't worry." He soothed.

Night Breeze guided his friend out of the room, but Dust stayed behind in the room. When the two ponies were out of sight, he went over to a part of the room, where shards of glass littered the ground. He looked up at the broken window, he knew what had happened here.

A kidnapping, to get leverage at Flash, he was happy that his friend hadn't seen this, for Dust knew that this probably would have made his worrying even worse considering that this group was able to infiltrate the most secure place in Equestria and escape without even being seen.

Dust walked over and picked up one of the shards of glass on the ground. How could somepony get here? He thought as he looked at the shard, then at the broken window. Who was on guard duty at the time? How could they not of heard the glass? Unless... No. He dropped the shard and broke into a full gallop to get to Flash's office as fast as possible.

Flash was reviewing maps of the location that was said to be holding Twilight when Dust burst into the office. Flash calmly put down his maps and looked at his friend. "That was quite an entrance Dust. What can I do for you?" He commented.

Dust was shocked by how much he had calmed down already. "Feeling better so soon?"

Flash shrugged. "Night Breeze got me back to normal."

"Anyway. I think I know what happened for sure Flash." Dust put a hoof on his desk.

Flash leaned in closer. "If you any information as to what happened, tell me."

Dust leaned in. "What if I told you this only happened because two ponies in this guard are double agents?"

"What are you saying?" Flash's gaze grew intense. "Dust. Are you hinting at one of our guards being traitors?"

Dust nodded. "Unfortunately sir, I am. You see, one of the windows were broken in the Princess's chamber, this would have easily been heard by a guard, unless they weren't really keeping watch."

Flash leaned back in his chair and ran a hoof through his mane. "Great." He muttered sarcastically. "Any ideas on who?" He asked.

"Sorry. I don't, but I think we should ask Princess Luna which one of her guards were posted there that night." He suggested.

Flash nodded. "I'll go with you." He stood up from his desk and headed out the door. "Let's go."

The two trotted down the hallway back to the Royal Chambers' section of the Castle. When they reached their destination, which was Luna's chambers, they were greeted with Luna leaving her chambers.

"Excuse me, Princess Luna!" Flash called out, and the Princess turned around to see them.

She waved. "Greeting Captain Flash Sentry. What can I do for you?" She greeted him.

Flash cleared his throat. "I was wondering if you could tell me which one of your Night Guards were posted outside Princess Twilight's bed chamber last night."

Luna tapped his chin with a hoof, then returned her gaze to the two ponies. "I don't remember, I have the papers in my chambers. Follow me Captain."

She turned around and opened her door, Flash and Dust followed into the chambers. It was lined with a few books and was colored a navy blue on the walls. Luna levitated a book over to her with her magic, as she opened it and flipped through the pages until she reached the page she was looking for, but gasped when she reached it.

Flash stared at her. "What is it Princess?"

She showed them the book. "Someone has been in here. For the page for that date has been removed from this book." She looked at it again. "This book holds the names of my guards who guard every position each night, and that night the names of the guards who guarded Princess Twilight's chambers have been removed from the book."

Dust and Flash exchanged a nervous glance, Flash returned eye contact to Luna. "Princess, we have reason to believe that some of your guards are double agents, or traitors in total." He told her.

Luna reared back. "What! 'Tis a lie! Thy guards wouldn't dare betray the sacred oath they have taken!"

"But they have." Flash interrupted. "You see, on that night, the pony infiltrated the bed chambers by breaking into a window. Then even left a note on the door. Any normal guard would have heard the glass, but if they were a traitor, they would ignore it and act like nothing happened."

Luna stared at the ground. "I suppose you are correct Flash Sentry." She looked up at him. "How are we suppose to find the traitors?"

Dust stepped forward. "There really isn't a way, but what we can try, is when the Captain goes to the "exchange" location, we can send along a team to capture the leader of them. Whatever her name was, Kingfish or some stupid name."

"Are you proposing we put the Captain's life in danger?" Luna stared at Dust.

Flash cut in. "Princess, if that is what we need to do to save Princess Twilight, then that's what I'll do. I'm willing to take my life to save her's." He admitted. Luna sat back and looked at Flash.

"I have much respect for you Flash Sentry. If you are willing to go along with Dust Storm's plan, then you may." She accepted his decision. "If thou should need anything, please do not hesitate to ask for such." She told him.

Flash nodded thankfully. "I appreciate it Princess, but we can handle this. I need you to try to find out who the traitors are. Don't announce it to your guards, or the traitors will know their cover is blown, and they will leave."

Luna nodded. "I understand. Now go, prepare your troops for battle. Best of luck Flash Sentry." Flash and Dust then turned around and left the Princess alone as they exited her room.

Flash looked at Dust with worried eyes once out in the hallway. "Dust." He breathed.

"Yes?"

"Get Night Breeze, and meet me at my office as soon as possible." He ordered. With those words Dust took off and Flash headed in the oppsite direction back to his office in the HQ.

Flash was already in his office and had 3 maps of the area where Twilight was up on a bulletin board when Night Breeze and Dust walked in.

"Flash." Dust began. "I got Night Breeze."

Flash was drawing circles and lines corrisponding to each other on the maps. He turned around to see his friends. "Good." He turned back around and continued working.

Dust walked so he was adjacent to Flash. "What are you doing?"

Flash tapped the pen on his chin. "Mapping out possible entry points, ambush locations and other stuff." He explained.

Dust nodded. "Hmph. Good idea." He pointed to a circle on the map. "Are we staging here?"

"Yes." Flash nodded. "From there we will split up and have two teams on each side of the compound." He slid a hoof across the map, indicating the directions they would be going in. "When we are all in position I will move up to the warehouse." He turned to Dust, his looked stern and serious. "This is when you two will be most important."

Flash gaze grew intense. "When I am taken inside of the compound, I need you to signal the Wonderbolts to silently take out the outdoor guards."

Night Breeze's eyes went wide. "The Wonderbolts are going to be alongside us?"

Flash nodded. "They will be. This is the Princess we are talking about. We're going to make these ponies regret their decisions."

The Wonderbolts and the Royal Guard are going to be a formidable fighting force against the clan. Flash went back to his desk and sat down.

He folded his hooves across his chest and looked at his friends. "Now both of you get some sleep. It's late. Rally the guard and meet in the prep room at 2100 tomorrow night for debrief." He ordered them.

Night Breeze and Dust saluted and fled the room quickly. Flash leaned forward and pulled out a drawer from his desk and pulled out a picture. He held up the picture, "I'm coming for you Twilight." The picture was Twilight on the day she became a princess. Flash ran a hoof over the picture and sighed, then put the image back into the drawer and put it back in the desk.

Flash then took a piece of paper out and a pen and wrote to his allies-

Captain Spitfire,

I request that you and your Wing Commanders meet me and my Senior Royal Guards in the Canterlot Castle debrief room at 2100 tomorrow night to discuss the missions outline. This is an absolute necessity.

Captain Flash Sentry

Flash folded up the letter and put it into an envelope. He stood up and walked out into the lobby and up to the desk mare, Moonshine.

"Moonshine, could you do me a favor and mail this to Cloudsdale? Wonderbolts' HQ please." He told her.

Moonshine stood up and took the letter from him. "Of course sir." She walked out from behind her desk and trotted out of the room to the mail room of the castle.

Flash looked at the clock in the lobby, he noticed just how late it was, for it was 11:15 PM. He yawned, exhausted, he began to drag his hooves as he walked out of the Royal Guard HQ and down the corridors that seemingly went on forever.

Passing one of the Night Guards, he was stopped by the unicorn. "Sir, are you alright?" He asked Flash in a groggy voice.

"I'm -" Flash's sentence was cut off by another massive yawn. "Fine, thank you."

The guard shook his head. "I'll escort you back to your room sir."

Flash was too tired to respond, let alone complain, so he accepted the guard's help. Flash continued to drag his hooves on the soft red carpet as he trekked back to his room with the guard.

Finally making it to his room, Flash unlocked and turned around to the guard, thanked him and went into his room. Ever since he was accepted back into the Royal Guard, he didn't need the hotel that he had previously used anymore, so it was returned.

Flash flopped onto his bed with the last bit of energy he had. He yawned, covered himself with a blanket and fell asleep in a matter of seconds.

Outside his room, two of Luna's Night Guards were whispering while patrolling.

"You learned anything?" One asked in a carefully quiet voice.

The other shook his head. "Nothing yet. Flash Sentry doesn't share any of that kind of info with Night Guards, only the day ones."

"That's ridiculous, we should nab him just like the Princess."

"Don't be stupid, our cover would obviously be blown, you know they doubled the patrols at night after that." The stallion swept a hoof over his friend's head playfully.

The stallion's friend corrected his now crooked helmet. "Yeah, yeah. What do you think Kingfish is gonna do with the Princess after Flash turns himself in? Because we all know that he won't leave her there."

The first stallion shrugged. "Who knows, but she is probably going to keep the Princess, and use her for even more leverage against the rest of Canterlot, and maybe even the rest of Equestria." He suggested.

"Maybe, just maybe."

The voices died down as the stallions continued down the hall until they were inaudible. Little did the guards know that their cover had already been blown, and Flash was hard on their trails, so were the Royals.

One thing is clear though, if Flash were to be killed in the tomorrow night attack, then traitors would be running wild with no remorse, for the most revered pony would be out of the way. The plan has to work. Flash thought as he continued to dream. If we lose, what will happen to the guard? Or worse, what will happen to Twilight?

Author's Note:

Oooo, next chapter is going to be fun. I plan on adding romance by the masses next chapter. This chapter was fun to write, because it consisted of my favorite aspects of any book/story. I'm also happy to include Luna and the Wonderbolts in this story finally! So anyway, I do hope you all enjoy and I'll get to work on the next chapter ASAP. Also, I am looking for anyone who could possibly do some cover-art for me? Maybe I'm jumping the gun on this, I don't know, but cover-arts do draw attention. Message me if you are up for it. Either way, enjoy the chapter, and keep on the look-out for Chapter 8!