• Published 24th Mar 2012
  • 2,697 Views, 30 Comments

Kindness in Dancing - FlutterDash

  • ...
6
 30
 2,697

Chapter One: Why must you imply that, Rainbow?

“I'm not completely sure about this, girls,” Fluttershy, a pastel-yellow pegasus with a flowing pink mane wearing a dress that looked like it was created out of nature itself, said. “Remember what happened last year?”

“Yeah!” Rainbow Dash, the cyan, rainbow-maned pegasus wearing a dress that resembled that of the Roman Gladiator era, replied. “We completely crashed the place, but we had a lot of fun anyways! I mean, just because they were too stuffy and uptight to have any fun doesn't mean we did anything wrong. If anything, we livened this place up to Ponyville standards of a party!” She looked around at the various well-clothed ponies standing and talking in the yard of Gala, drinking purple punch from wine glasses too small to be of much use. She cringed.

“Please, Rainbow, the Canterlot folk are not 'stuffy' and 'uptight.' They are regal ponies of high status,” Rarity, the fancy, white unicorn with an elegant purple mane and tail in a dress that was beyond posh and extravagant, complete with matching crown and gem-stud earrings, said in retaliation. “Personally, I'd absolutely adore to live here in Canterlot! The fame, the fortune, the stallions...” she trailed off, blushing slightly as she began fantasizing. I'm sure we all know which stallion she was most intrigued with. The two pegasi simply stared at her until she came back to her senses. “Oh! Sorry darlings, I suppose this isn't exactly the best time to talk about such things.”

Fluttershy spoke in such a way that it was barely audible, no more than a mere whisper. “Oh, um, it's quite alright Rarity...” She, too, was blushing, for different reasons however. She looked over the area, attempting to maybe find some animals to talk to and befriend, as she highly disliked being in such a congested and large area. Instead, what caught her eye was a convergence of ponies, all crowding around the side of the Gala. “Um, girls, what's going on over there?...” she asked hesitantly, curious yet afraid of going over.

Rarity and Rainbow Dash both looked over, not noticing the congregation of regal ponies until just now. “I'll go check it out,” the rainbow-maned pegasus flew up a bit higher and flew over the crowds, checking out what was happening. She flew back over and looked at Rarity, before saying in an almost mocking tone, “It's your soulmate, Rarity.”
Rarity looked inquisitively at Rainbow. “My... soulmate?”

“Yeah, your soulmate. Awesome, huh? Really though, it's some mare that almost looks like she could be one of the Princesses' nieces. Apparently she's dancing and everybody thinks its awesome.”

“Darling, I am not a fillyfooler.”

“Could've fooled me,” she said, just before breaking into laughter.

“Well, I'd never... Dash... where's Fluttershy?”

“I thought she was right here.” Dash looked over, noticing where Fluttershy once was is now vacant. She began looking around, before she caught a glimpse of the pink mane just above the crowd, supported up by a pair of pastel-yellow wings. “Oh, she's over there...” She took flight once more before flying over to Fluttershy. “Hey, Fluttershy!”

“Meep!” Fluttershy simply squeaked as her wings cinched themselves to her body, falling back down to the ground. “Oh, um, h-hi Rainbow...”

“Hey, what, you think her dancing is awesome too?” She looked down at the crowd in front of her, then up at the dancing mare, before bringing her attention back to Fluttershy.

“W-well, she definitely is, um, magnificent...” She blushed and hid behind her mane somewhat, obscuring part of her face.

“Okay, why are you acting so weird 'Shy?”

“N-nothing...”

“It's something to do with that dancer, isn't it?”

“M-maybe...”

Rainbow sighed. “Well... I'll be back in a few minutes.” She went back over towards where she last saw Rarity, catching her out of the corner of her eye talking to a stallion with a white coat and blue mane wearing a monocle, she quickly made a detour and landed next to her.

“I'm simply applauding Fleur's work! She's magnificently talented at dancing, her pose is stunning and her passion for what she does it just outstanding, Fancy Pants! I'm not sure how anybody could dislike her or her art.” Noticing Rainbow Dash next to her, she put her conversation on hold with an “excuse me for a moment, darling” and turned to her pegasus friend. “Have you found Fluttershy?”

Rainbow nodded. “Yeah, she's like, totally blushing over that one dancer. I'm not sure what's gotten into her but she seems too embarrassed to say anything.” She looked over her shoulder, seeing Fluttershy was once more airborne, watching over the crowds. “It's like she's all over her. Even I'm not like that when I'm around the awesome Wonderbolts!”

Rarity laughed and looked at Fluttershy as well. “Darling, what you just explained to me are the indications of a crush.” She laughed again, this time at Rainbow's dumbfounded look. “What?”

“You're telling me this... dancer...”

“Her name is Fleur de Lis.” Rarity said, interrupting Rainbow's sentence.

“...You're telling me Fluttershy has a crush on this Fleur de Lis character?”

“It seems about right, darling.”

“But... what? 'Shy has a crush on some dancer from this uptight town? Why?”

“I don't know, Rainbow, but then again who does? Ponies fall for ponies and there's no real explaining it. It simply happens, sometimes with time and sometimes, like now, spontaneously.” She looked back over to the crowds, seeing they were slowly parting now. “The show must be over... come on, Rainbow, perhaps we can get Fleur to associate with us long enough to propose something.” Rainbow Dash nodded and the two of them began walking (and flying) towards the parting crowds, seeing Fluttershy still there.

“Oh, poor thing, she's so lost in her own thoughts that doesn't realize it's over with...” Rarity murmured to herself, shaking her head in sympathy. “I know what that's like.”

The two went around Fluttershy, through the now-parting throngs of ponies and ended up in front of a wooden stage, about half the size of that of a theatre stage. On there, however, was a unicorn. Just not any unicorn though, it was Fleur de Lis. The dancer. The sleek, tall, slim, pink-maned, white-coated unicorn with purple eyes and purple eyeshadow.

Dash hovered next to Rarity and whispered in her ear, “I told you she's your soulmate,” which earned a stern glare from Rarity. This simply caused Rainbow to laugh, almost obnoxiously.

Rarity motioned towards Fluttershy, and with Dash taking the hint and going to her, she began her ascent up the wooden stairs and towards the lavish unicorn.

“Excuse me, darling?” Fleur turned around, glancing down at Rarity.

“Oh, hello there. Did you enjoy my show?”

“Honestly, darling, I wasn't able to voyeur your act. However! There is something I must talk to you about...”

This received a raised brow from Fleur.

“And that is?” She asked, curious.

“See the pegasus over there, with the pink mane?”

“Ah, yes, I noticed she was one of the most intrigued watchers.”

“Quite.” Rarity paused, glancing back to see Dash talking to Fluttershy. “Well, what I wanted to ask you is... well, dear, I'm just going to say it. Her name is Fluttershy, she is a meek and shy pony... and I believe she has a crush on you.”

Fleur giggled. “A crush? On me?”

“Yes.” Another giggled was admitted from Fleur, interrupting Rarity. “I wanted to know if you would possibly take it into consideration to go on a romantic affair with her?”

“You mean a date?”

“Yes!”

“Well, I don't have another show for a while now... I suppose I could go on a date with this... Fluttershy.”

“Oh, thank you darling!” Rarity was gleaming with pride. “You haven't the slightest clue how ecstatic this makes me, or her! Please, follow me, I'd like for you to meet her.”

The two unicorns descended from the stage, walking towards the two pegasi that were now on the ground. Their presence was made known by a small 'meep' from Fluttershy as she hid behind her mane once more. Rainbow, on the other hand, just sighed and looked at the two unicorns.

“Fluttershy...” Rainbow Dash nudged her. “Come on, 'Shy, you gotta see this.” Fluttershy peeked through her mane with one eye, seeing the tall, slender unicorn.

“Darling,” Rarity began, “this is Fleur de Lis. The dancer.”

Fleur de Lis smiled, extending a hoof out to Fluttershy.

“Pleasure to meet you, Fluttershy,” Fleur said as Fluttershy gingerly took her hoof, helping her back up.

“Um, h-hi...”

Fleur giggled. “She is so shy! That's so adorable.” This caused Fluttershy to blush, but still she smiled all the same. “So, I'm here to take you on a date... how does tomorrow night sound, Fluttershy?”

Fluttershy paled instantly, before blushing immensely. “T-that'd be nice..”

“Meet me here, at the gates tomorrow night. Until then, adieu.” And with that, Fleur walked away, back to the stage.

“G-girls... um, did she...”

The two others nodded.

Fluttershy squee'd softly.