• Published 21st Feb 2014
  • 3,091 Views, 562 Comments

Twilight Sparkle, Ace Attorney: Turnabout Smiles - Animegx43



Not only is Pinkie Pie accused of murdering ponies in Equestria, but also attempted murder of the sister of one of her best friends, and only Twilight has enough faith in Pinkie to defend her.

  • ...
3
 562
 3,091

Day 2: Investigation: Shepard's Lab

February 13, 2:44PM
Shepard Pi's mansion
The Laboratory

With the assistance and approval of Pinkie Pie's father, Igneous Rock, Twilight and Sweetie Belle were allowed to enter the home of Shepard Pi, the second victim of the murders. As Igneous brought the mares inside, they shared their story on how they had been protecting Pinkie and why they needed to investigate the second crime scene. Throughout the entire case, Shepard Pi's impact had been left as a mystery to the general public and even some officials. It was time for Twilight to actually learn about him.

The room Igneous brought Twilight and Sweetie was by far the largest room of the mansion, the laboratory. It had many large pieces of machinery and every table was covered in clutter, some of which was simply garbage. Even though the house was so big, one could tell that lab was the most frequently used room.

Twilight was very impressed by the equipment Shepard owned. "Wow. Look at all of this stuff! B-45 hyper thermal scanner. A rainbow-energy gauge..." But as soon as Twilight saw one item in particular, she gasped in awe. "Oh my gosh! A type-40 cryogetic freezer!" Twilight said as she hugged the device.

"Hey, hey, HEY! What did I tell you about touching the things in here?" Igneous yelled, furious that Twilight broke her promise already.

"I don't care. I live here now." Twilight said as she fell in love with the machinery around her.

To talk sense into Twilight, Sweetie Belle walked up to her, grabbed her by the tail, and started to pull her away from the machine she was hugging. "Twilight, we spent a long time getting here. Don't get us kicked out already."

No...why must she be right? Twilight asked herself, realizing that she had to stop going gaga over Shepard's lab. "Fine. Let's start our investigation."

After she used all of her willpower to resist the call of her beloved devices, Twilight began looking for anything out of place, but with all of the high-tech machinery around, it was easy for her to get distracted. Thankfully, she was able to find something of importance, and it was stained on the floor in the center of the room. It was a red spot that had become dry over a long period of time and was something that made Sweetie Belle sick to her stomach.

"I-I guess we know w-where he d-d-died now." Sweetie Belle stammered.

But there's not even police tape here. If there was important evidence at this spot, they would've already taken it. Twilight thought, knowing that her investigation wasn't off to a good start. She took a look around to find something else. "Aha!"

While there was so much scientific equipment that Twilight would want to swipe on her way home, she found a very simple machine that had more importance then anything else. The security camera.

"If I can't touch the freezer, can I at least touch this?" Twilight asked Igneous, referring to the camera.

"I suppose, but when the police came, they took all of the footage." Igneous warned.

Come on! Surely they left something behind. ANYTHING! Twilight thought as she fiddled with the camera. After pushing a few buttons on the side of the camera, a red light started to blink while it began to make a noise. "Oh, no. Please tell me I didn't break it!"

A few moments later, the beeping stopped, much to Twilight's relief. Immediately after, a photo popped out from underneath. Twilight took it and hoped to have been given a useful picture.

"I don't know what I was expecting with my luck." Twilight said as she tossed the picture away. Sweetie Belle managed to catch the picture, laughing at Twilight's selfie.

"We are so keeping this as evidence." Sweetie Belle said with a big smirk on her face.

Selfie was added to the evidence.

I'll be so mad if that's the only thing we leave with today.

Twilight acknowledged that photographed pictures could be very strong pieces of evidence, but the one she took was nothing like that. After further tinkering, she found that there were no other picture she could get from out of the camera, concluding that the police had already taken the important ones, if not all of them.

Twilight then continued her investigation of the lab, keeping her eyes peeled for anything of interest, besides the machinery. The walls of the room was covered mostly in blueprints, schematics, and notes for other inventions and projects. However, there was one area in particular that was special. The section of the wall was covered up entire of photos of the Pie family

"I guess this guy really loved his family." Twilight commented. After scanning at the pictures, Twilight noticed one thing of interest. "Hey...is that...?

"That's Applejack!" Sweetie Belle said as she found the same photo.

"Ah! I remember that party." Igneous said as he felt a sense of nostalgia from the picture. "That was Pinkie's 18th birthday, which was when she became old enough to drink cider."

"What do you mean?" Sweetie Belle asked. "I've drank cider before and I'm not even half of Pinkie's age."

"Some cider is only for grown ups, Sweetie Belle. You'll understand when you're older." Twilight explained to the confused filly. "And Applejack was invited?"

"Of course. She was one of Pinkie's best friends. It was a great party. Pinkie herself was the one who took that photo." Igneous explained. "Please don't ask me how she pulled that off."

I forgot. I've only lived in Ponyville for a few years. Pinkie and Applejack have probably known each other for a very long time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight began to remember back at the trial, when Applejack became the most hostile towards Pinkie, when it seemed that their friendship had ended completely. The Applejack Twilight remembered at the trial looked nothing like the Applejack in Shepard's photo.

"Heck, if I could, I'd go into jail and snap her neck myself. In fact, let's end all of the doubt now by doing just that! Is that what you want?"

"Calm down Miss Applejack or I'll have to treat you as hostile." The Doctor ordered.

"It's worth the risk! Pinkie! Over here!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, Applejack. Twilight thought as a tear began dripping down her face.

"Twilight? Are you alright?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"Y-yes. Yes. Yes, I'm fine." Twilight stammered, wiping her tear off so nopony could see her cry. "Mr. Rock, Applejack has a rather big role in this case. Would it be alright if I brought this photo with me?'

"Of course. I'm sure Pinkie would even need it now more than my brother right now."

Birthday Picture was added to the evidence.

Twilight had managed to find a picture that she knew was going to be useful, but it was still nothing that would help her defend Pinkie, so it was a rather hollow victory. After taking the picture off of the wall, she noticed another picture that stood out. One that wasn't even a photo.

"What's this one?"

"Huh. I guess its a painting Pinkie made for my brother." Igneous guessed. "Judging by the hoof print painted on it, Pinkie would've drawn this when she was young. Must've been back when she lived with Shepard."

"Wait...WHAT!?" Twilight asked as her jaw dropped. "Pinkie actually lived in this place?"

"Sure did. For a couple of years actually."

Great. Now I can't deny in court that Pinkie and Shepard had a connection. Twilight thought. "Wait. Your house can't be that far from here. Why did Pinkie have to live here?"

Igneous had an answer for Twilight, but it was difficult to explain, not just because it was a hard subject for him to talk about, but also because of the complexity. After failing to think of a proper answer to give to Twilight, he gave himself an idea. He thought of something that Twilight could actually use as evidence.

At the nearest bookshelf, Igneous rubbed his hoof across the book covers until he spotted the one he was searching for. He didn't want to hand over something that belonged to his brother, but he knew that the book was genuinely important to Twilight.

"Oh my gosh! I never he thought about what kind of books this guy could have." Twilight said while she clapped her hooves as she got excited again. She loved books far more then scientific equipment, so she didn't even hesitate to grab the book from Igneous with her magic. "What's this book about? Quantum physics? Astronomy? Maybe a combination of both?"

Igneous shook his head at Twilight. "That there is Shepard's most important book. It's his research notes and diary from studying my daughter."

"Research...on...PINKIE PIE!?" Twilight asked with a gigantic grin.

Twilight once spent a long time trying to understand the mechanics on what made Pinkie Pie tick. The entire ordeal ended in failure. With a book all about Pinkie in her presence, Twilight wasted no time to open the tome up to learn something she was guaranteed to not know about.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, I made the biggest blunder of my life. I made a blood donation to help some young who got hypervolemia due to an injury, something about a party howitzer or something, I don't know. I'm just glad Pinkie settled for a cannon.

Anyway, I somehow got a sample of my blood mixed up with a sample of Pinkie's and sent it to help the injured kid. Pinkie's blood type is fortunately double O negative, and this is also a suitable donor, so it won't hurt the patient, but now I fear that there will be another pony out there with something similar to the Pinkie Sense.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Well, that at least explains something about another pony I know." Twilight said, who was surprised by the first page she had read, but after rereading the last two words, her smile returned. "AH! He really has been studying the Pinkie Sense! And I bet he even found out more then I ever could've."

"Shepard didn't just study the Pinkie Sense." Igneous explained. "He mostly studied the condition that caused it."

"The....th-th-the...." Twilight stuttered. She couldn't even finish her sentence. Instead, she went back into the book and continued to flip through the pages.

"Are...are you alright?" Igneous asked.

"She can't hear you." Sweetie Belle answered. "She's too far gone."

After tuning out her surroundings, Twilight glued her eyes onto the journal. She found a number of bookmarks that pointed out the more interesting pages and began looking through those ones first. It had been a long time since Twilight was excited as she was. Fortunately for Sweetie Belle and Igneous Rock, Twilight read the journal out loud so they could follow along.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have finally deduced the cause for Pinkie's illness.

Pinkie claimed that she first started to feel like she did when she saw a very large rainbow. Based on her description of the event, it nigh-impossible, but still very possible, that the rainbow she saw was a sonic rainboom, something I'm still convinced is just a myth. But, theoretically, if it was real, it's possible that she absorbed some of the energy into her body, thus making her contain more magic than an ordinary earth pony is supposed to.

I will need to run some tests to confirm this theory. Either way, it wasn't a natural occurrence. I'm confident that I have everything to handle this though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem has turned out to be far worse then I could possibly imagine. Something like this is so far from my predictions that I'm more than willing to accept the existence of something as silly as a sonic rainboom. In fact, the rainboom is crucial to my new theory.

It's common knowledge that all forms of ponies have a degree of magic. Some forms, like unicorns or alicorns, have much more magic then others. Pinkie Pie, however, is appears to be gifted with more magic then the average pony. It's very difficult to describe one's level of magic, but a comparison is easy in this scenario. Princess Celestia's alicorn magic, if possessed by a fully grown unicorn, could destroy them. Pinkie Pie, a filly who hasn't even had her cutie mark for a year, has magic that rivals the princesses.

The sonic rainboom appeared to have unlocked the hidden potential within Pinkie Pie. If she was a unicorn, the excess magic would've simply of blasted its way out through the horn in the form of a massively powerful spell. In Pinkie Pie's case, it rebounded back into her body with no place to go. This is very unhealthy no matter what kind of pony you are.

I will write down the effects this has on Pinkie.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading the second interesting chapter of the journal, Twilight lowered it down to process everything that she read. A few minutes prior, she was extremely excited to read it. It was no longer the case when she stopped reading.

"Wow. Pinkie Pie was really sick as a kid, wasn't she?" Twilight said with a frown as she felt bad for her friend. Actually, she might still be sick.

With her magic, she used her magic to take out a piece of evidence: the bottle of pills that Pinkie Pie had been taken. After reading the journal, Twilight finally realized why Pinkie Pie had been taking medicine meant to weaken unicorn magic. Pinkie Pie had more magic then even an alicorn like herself.

"Such an addicting drug, but this entire time, it's been saving her life."

"So does this mean Pinkie is an alicorn princess?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"No, but if she was, I'd be afraid of how strong she could...actually, I've always been a bit scared of her."

"And I was scared when Shepard told me some of the things he said to me." Igneous said. "He wanted to keep Pinkie by her side at all times so he could monitor her conditions. That's why she moved here at the time.

"But she still seems sick. I think." Twilight said unsurely. "Was Shepard not able to cure her?"

Curious to know how Shepard's story ended, she started to flip through more pages to find something else of interest. After finding one of the last entries written, she began reading again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have outdone myself with my genius once again.

With my newest invention, Pinkie Pie may no longer need those pesky Anti-Magic-Purger pills, which is good because smuggling those has been very tedious and expensive. Fortunately, my friends have been the ones doing the leg work. I've already sent a letter to Pinkie to come here as soon as she possibly can so I can test this out.

All these years, I've been giving those pills to Pinkie and making her suffer from the occasional withdrawal symptoms to keep her magic on par to an earth pony rather then beyond that of an alicorn, but with this device, she'll not only be able to stabilize herself, but become able to control her insane amount of magic. The and design of my creation will be drawn on the next page, as well as the rest of the entry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight turned the page to see what the invention was and how it worked, but it was the last page of the journal with nothing anything written on it. She was upset that she couldn't find anything, but then she became horrified by a new discovery. The reason she couldn't find the next page was because it had been torn out from the book.

"Where's the next page?" Twilight asked with concern.

"There's no reason for my brother to do that, but I don't remember the police finding that journal either." Igneous said.

"Somepony must've stolen it." Sweetie Belle said. After thinking it over, she thought of something else. "Maybe it's that pegasus we're after!"

"If we honestly think he's the real killer, then he must've." Twilight said, agreeing with Sweetie Belle.

As Twilight and Sweetie Belle brought up their favourite suspect, Igneous raised an eyebrow as he got interested. "You girls already know who framed my daughter?"

"We think we do." Twilight answered. "There was this suspicious grey pony back in Ponyville who practically confessed that he was the killer."

As soon as Twilight mentioned the color grey, as well as remembering hearing that she was talking about a pegasus, Igneous's eyes opened wide opened. An image of the pony described popped into his head and it was one he didn't want to have.

"Was this a stallion? If so, did he have weird looking wings?"

"How did you know?" Twilight asked. "But yeah. Most pegasi wings are the same color as our coat, like mine. This guy's wing color matched his black mane."

It was his worse fear. Twilight's description of the pegasus matched the pony Igneous was thinking of. He became really stressed as he began to sweat up a storm. The look on his face alone caused distress to Twilight and Sweetie Belle as they stared at the scared old stallion.

"Mr. Rock, do you know about this pony we're after?"

"I...have a good idea as to who you're looking for." Igneous answered. "He was an old neighbor of mine. He worked near my farm as the local blacksmith."

A blacksmith? If he was a blacksmith, it would explain how he got his hooves on such weird daggers. Twilight thought as she thought back to the murder weapons. Believing that it was the breakthrough she was looking for, she made an order to Igneous. "Tell me everything you know about him!"

Igneous tipped his hat down to think carefully about what he could remember about the mysterious stallion, but even somepony like Igneous, who was familiar with him, had limited knowledge. He was only able to tell Twilight what he knew.

"He was a smiling pony, way back when Rocky Road Village was gloomy. He was the only pony who had a consisstent smile on his face. He was like that for many years, giving me and my family the creeps." Igneous said to his listeners. After talking about the scary pony, he began to smile as he thought of something much more pleasant. "But that changed. The day Pinkie got her cutie mark."

"I remember that story." Sweetie Belle interrupted. "When she saw the sonic rainboom, it made her want to throw her first party, which made her whole family smile."

"That it did, little girl. I suppose I would smile from time to time for a job well done, but Pinkie showed me how to smile just for the sake of smiling. It was a good feeling." Igneous explained, which gave him the urge to smile, but it was short lived. "Eventually, she made the entire village smile regularly. All had a smile here, except for one."

Twilight didn't need three guesses to know who the one exception was. "The black and grey pegasus."

"That's right. It's without any question. The pony you are after is Masquerade!"

So his name is Masquerade, huh? Twilight thought as she learned the name of the evil pony who had been framing Pinkie Pie. The name alone made her clench her hoof in anger. "I won't let him get away with this."

As he saw the determination in Twilight's eyes, Igneous made a decision. One that he didn't originally intend to make. "I trust that you'll be able to protect my daughter and avenge my brother. For that reason, I will allow you to do what you may in my brother's lab. Good day and the best of luck."

After tipping his hat to Twilight and bowing his head, Igneous granted Twilight complete freedom over the lab and took his leave, putting all of his trust into her. Twilight and Sweetie Belle didn't entirely know what had happened, but they knew that a great opportunity was given to them.

"I guess this means he won't mind if we were to take this journal with us." Twilight said. "Actually, I'm going to take this painting Pinkie made too. I'm sure she'd love to know that her uncle had kept it after all of these years."

Shepard's Journal was added to the evidence.

Hoof Painted Drawing was added to the evidence.

Having officially acquiring two new pieces of evidence, Sweetie Belle made a comment. "Okay. So we got a picture of you, a picture of Pinkie and her uncle, and now journal. What's next?"

"To be honest, Sweetie Belle? I think we're done." Twilight answered, but neither she or Sweetie Belle liked it. "I know we haven't been here long, but I already predicted that the police would've picked this place clean. I'm thankful for learning as much as I have already. I especially would like to read more of this book."

"Well that's a bummer. I guess Mr. Cestus might've found some evidence for you while we were gone. Maybe he even knows something about this place."

"That's the spirit. I'll bet the information of the crime has already been declassified. I'm sure he can disclose it to me now. In any case, let's get going."

With a very important book in Twilight's possession, she and Sweetie Belle began to make their way out of the mansion and return to Ponyville. They didn't learn much about the case itself, but they did learn a lot about the ponies involved in the case. They learned the name of the real killer was Masquerade, and that he had a history with Pinkie, they learned what kind of pony Shepard Pi was, and of course, they learned about Pinkie's past medical history which still needed to be questioned.

But, everything was still linked to the case, So Twilight knew she would be able to use everything she acquired in the long run. She just had to be prepared for anything that would come her way.

"Twilight..." Sweetie Belle said as they reached the door. "Put it back."

With the unamused Sweetie Belle blocking her path, Twilight knew she was busted. Lifting up her wing, Twilight revealed a small gadget that she tried to smuggle out.

"But...it's evidence!" Twilight lied.

"Put it back."

Twilight still couldn't get over the technology that was within the lab, and thanks to Sweetie Belle, she wasn't allowed to steal a thing. It was probably best in the long run since it allowed her to focus entirely on the case and not on some toy.

Author's Note:

Wow. I'm glad that there will be an evidence organizer happening soon. Now I can see why the game does it. -.-

Twilight Notes:

Profiles:
Sweetie Belle: The little sister of my friend, Rarity. She wants to proves Pinkie Pie didn't try
to kill her friend, Apple Bloom.
Star Cestus: Former Chief Commissioner of Canterlot's police force, but still holds the rank of Inspector. He's the head of the investigation.
Pinkie Pie: One of my best friends and the defendant. She's a very crazy party pony, which is arguably bad for her case.
Apple Bloom: The latest victim and sole survivor of a series of murders. Currently on life support. No child should ever of gone through what she's been through.
Applejack: One of my best friends and the older sister of the victim. Being as stubborn as she is, she seems certain that Pinkie Pie is responsible.
Masquerade: A pegasus who used to live near Pinkie Pie when she was young. He has a strong hatred for Pinkie and is most certainly the true serial killer.
Hope Ray: A prosecutor from Canterlot. Wanting to do everything he can do to keep Equestria safe, he wishes to prosecute Pinkie Pie.
Copycat: The first victim of the murders. Bares a striking resemblance to Pinkie Pie.
Granny Smith: Applejack and Apple Bloom's grandmother. She's surprisingly active for a pony her age.
Shepard Pi: Pinkie Pie's deceased uncle and the one who gave her the A.M.P medication. He was the second victim of the murders. He was some sort of scientist.
Coltaire: The lead singer of the Jersey Devils. He seems to know Pinkie Pie, but on what level is a bit of a mystery.
The Pony of Doom: The daughter of Coltaire and violinest of the Jersey Devils. She's friends with Pinkie pie.
Igneous Rock: PInkie Pie's father.


Evidence:
Attorney's Badge: My Equestrian Attorney's badge, decorated with the symbols of the Elements of Harmony.
Black Dagger: The weapons used in the crimes. The dagger from the first murder has no hoofprints. The one used on Apple Bloom sas her blood and Pinkie Pie's hoofprints.
Hoofprint Records: Contains a list of hoofprints from every pony involved in the case. Only useful on ponies I've already met.
A.M.P Bottle: Pinkie Pie's illegally acquired medicine, Anti-Magic-Purgers. A highly addictive drug meant specifically for young unicorns.
Apple Core: A potentially poisoned apple. Was eaten by Pinkie when the poison was brought up.
Barn Diagram: A picture of the inside of Sweet Apple Acres' barn.
Copycat's Autopsy Report: Cause of death was blood loss. Caused by a fatal stab wound on the left of the victim's neck.
Pesticide: Ursa Flatline brand pesticide. Highly dangerous to anything. Was used to poison the apple.
PInkie's Photo: A picture of Pinkie and Copycat at a Jersey Devil concert. Their positioning proves Pinkie couldn't of killed Copycat.
Selfie: A picture of me I accidently took at Shepard Pi's lab. Click for the picture
Birthday Picture: A picture of Pinkie and Applejack at a birthday party. Pinkie's whole family was there. Click for the picture
Shepard's Journal: Contains entries regarding him and Pinkie Pie. I've marked the interesting pages that I've read so far. Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
Hoof Painted Drawing: A crudely made picture of Pinkie and her Uncle Shepard Pi. It was signed by both of them. Click for the picture