• Published 20th Feb 2014
  • 1,794 Views, 51 Comments

My Little Dashie: The Cruelty of Man - Never2muchpinkie



Based upon Celestia's comment from the original story, What if the first human Rainbow Dash met after being transported to the human world wasn't a MLP loving brony, but a cruel human being?

  • ...
18
 51
 1,794

Chapter 5: Don't give up, Rainbow Dash

When she came upon the corner area where Henry laid she felt despair at the puddle of blood on the floor. With the exception of Celestia, who had seen what had happened through Rainbow’s memories, all of them gasped.

Rainbow flopped to the floor, unable to stand anymore, looking towards Celestia. “He protected me from those other two, and gave me medical care. He got hurt taking an attack meant for me, and now he’s hurt badly. You have to help him. He saved my life.”

Celestia walked forward, but none of the rest of them wanted to. Her horn glowing, she lifted his shirt to reveal the numerous small holes in his skin.

Rainbow Dash looked intensely at Celestia as she examined Henry. After a minute she looked away and their eyes met, and Celestia closed her eyes, sadly shaking her head back and forth. Rainbow’s whole body went cold. “No!”

“I’m sorry, Rainbow Dash. Even with my great magical power I don’t know much about medical spells. The damage is too severe. I expect he’s only got a few more minutes left in him. All I can do with my magic is to try to nullify his pain and make him comfortable before he goes.” Her horn began glowing, and Henry was moved to a sitting position near the door. As she cast the spell to negate his pain he let out a small groan.

“Henry!” Rainbow Dash cried out.

Henry felt confused at how his pain was fading. He definitely had heard a lot of noise downstairs but he had been too hurt to think much of it. He opened his eyes and a look of shock took over his features as he saw all the ponies suddenly occupying his house. He smiled through the pain that was still there.

“So it really happened,” he said wistfully. “Your friends from another world have come to take you home. I’m so happy for you.” A few tears came down his eyes. “Let’s see… pink mane and yellow coat. You must be Fluttershy, the animal lover.” He gazed over at her, then to each of them in turn. “Applejack, the apple farm owner who loves her family. Rarity, the fashion lover. Pinkie Pie, the party animal. Twilight Sparkle, the recently ordained princess who accidentally sent her here.

"And, of course, you must be Princess Celestia. It’s an honor to meet you. I would bow, but I’m not in good shape right now.”

Though her inscrutable expression didn’t change, another tear came down Celestia’s face. “You do not have to bow to me. You have already served me honorably by your actions towards Rainbow Dash. I saw through her memories the extent to which you cared for and protected her. I am the one who should bow to you.” And she did just that. “I am eternally gratefully to you for keeping one of my most precious ponies safe.”

“Thank you so much, sir,” said Twilight, bowing to him as well.

Henry laughed weakly. "Who would have ever thought that one day I’d be getting bowed down to by royalty?”

Rainbow slammed down her front hoof. “WHY?” she cried out. “Why did you do this for me? Why give up your life for mine, for someone you only met a short time ago? Just for a promise?”

“Rainbow Dash,” Henry said, looking over at her laid out on the floor, surrounded by her friends. Straining, he raised his arm, putting his hand out towards her.

She didn’t hesitate. Forcing herself up as best she was able she crawl-limped over towards him until she was halfway on his lap.

“So this is how it goes, then? It only took three times.”

She looked up at him perplexedly, not understanding.

“The first time I put my hand out it took you many minutes to decide to come over. The second time was shorter. Now you came right away. I guess this means I finally have your trust, huh?”

Rainbow sniffled, her guilt burning inside her at his words. “Henry, I’m so sorry! If I hadn’t-“

“Shhh,” said Henry, slowly petting and stroking her head like before. “None of that now. What happened has happened, and nothing is going to change that. It’s okay. I forgive you.

“You asked me whether it was just my promise to you that made me save you. It wasn’t.” His eyes closed as his head tilted. “I told you that my sister was dead… but it’s more accurate to say she was murdered. She was a lot like you, or so I thought. She was the toughest person I knew.

"When she was younger she was very gentle and soft, always needing to be protected. After we lost our parents she went through a change, and grew strong from it. She never let anyone push her around. She wasn’t just empty words, either. She could go toe to toe with people twice her age. The only time she seemed to be like her old self was when she’d work with animals. She’d always look so happy and unrestrained.

“One day someone broke into our house, and for the first time my sister’s uncompromising nature worked against her. She was shot and hurt badly like you were. By the time I could get any help she would have been gone. As her life faded she told me that, despite her physical strength, she had always felt weak and worthless and had only been putting on an act of invincibility so that no one would notice it. That was why she felt so comfortable with animals. They couldn’t judge or yell at her. They accepted her just as she was.

"I see a lot of my sister in the way you act, so when I saw you about to die I had to rush in and save you, the way I couldn’t do it for her. I always wanted to find a way to continue down my sister’s path, which is why I started working on my friends farm after she died.

“For the longest time I felt so alone and useless with the loss of my closest supporter and the last person who lived with me. So many times I thought of just ending my life because I felt I couldn’t take the guilt anymore, but Linda literally slapped some sense into me. She told me that it would be a disgrace to what my sister represented, and if I only lived a little bit longer I might find something worthwhile to do with the life I felt had no value. And today I finally proved that right. My life did still have a little value left.

"I’m glad I lived this long, because it allowed me to save your life. Now I can face my sister with pride if I see her again in the afterlife. It’s a shame about Linda, though. She’s going to be coming home tomorrow morning. Not exactly the best thing to come home to after a vacation.”

Looking down at her their eyes met. “Rainbow Dash, I can feel it. Even with this magic keeping the worst at bay I can feel my life fading away. I made you a promise to keep you safe, and I kept that for you. Now will you make a promise to me?”

“Anything!” she said immediately.

“Don’t give up on humans, Rainbow Dash. I won’t lie. We humans aren’t perfect. There are plenty of humans that are scum, like those two. But there are many more humans who are good and kind-hearted like my sister and Linda. I know it was only an accident that brought you here, but accidents happen, and it may happen again. You probably won’t ever come back her again, but nothing is ever certain.

"And if the unlikely happens, if you somehow find yourself here again, then I don’t want you to run away with the wrong idea of how humans are. So please…don’t give up on humans. Give them a chance and you’ll find how great and kind they can be. I’m just sorry that your first impression of our kind had to be with the worst of us, and that was why you weren’t able to fully trust me and decided to go off on your own. But if you keep your heart open and give them a chance… then maybe you’ll find a special someone like me to help you until you can return home again.

"Don’t turn out like my sister, who did give up on others and lived only a fake life. Live a good life full of love and keep an open heart. Please promise me that.”

Rainbow Dash nodded slowly, closing her eyes. “I promise. I’ll do the best I can.”

“That’s all I can ask for.” Henry closed his eyes, slumping slightly. “Now that that’s out of the way, I guess it’s time to say goodbye. I enjoyed meeting you and your friends. Thank you… for bringing one final rainbow over my gloomy skies and bringing the sun out again.”

Rainbow’s body clenched. She wished she could do more. She wished she could heal him like he had done for her, but once again she found herself powerless, and she hated it. She hated it with every fiber of her being. Shaking, she began crying on his lap.

“You don’t have to cry. This is how it is.” But his words didn’t stop her tears.

“Thank you, for caring for our Rainbow Dash,” said Rarity, crying like the rest of them.

“Thanks for caring for Dashie for us,” said Pinkie Pie, her mane drooped.

“Um…thank you, sir,” said Fluttershy awkwardly.

“Thank ya,” said Applejack.

“Even if it was only for a short time, you really were a great friend,” Rainbow said tearily.

“I’m… so… glad,” said Henry, a thoughtful look on his face. “Dashie… huh?” he asked with a pained laugh as he smiled down at her one last time. “Farewell… my little… Dashie.” A few more seconds passed before his eyes faded out. He let out a final gasp, tilting over and hitting the ground, becoming still.

Rainbow called out to him to no avail, and then her crying began again in earnest as she mourned for the loss of an unlikely friend. All of her friends started tearing up at their friends despair.

After a time of crying, her friends all snuggled around her, Rainbow felt like she couldn’t take being there anymore. “I… I need to be alone. I want to go outside and just think things over for a bit.” She tried to stand up, but this time it wasn’t her injuries draining her strength. She just couldn’t muster the energy to fight anymore. She felt so heavy from head to hoof.

“Here, Rainbow Dash. Let me help you,” said Twilight forlornly, her horn glowing as she placed her friend on her back. With a quick glide she headed down the stairs.

“W-watch out,” said Rainbow Dash. “That guy’s dog was at the front door before.”

Twilight used her magic to open the door, ready to attack, but the dog wasn’t there anymore. It had probably run away from all the noise. “Looks all clear. Where would you like to go?”

Rainbow squinted as she looked around, choosing a small hill off in the distance, the highest point in the area she could see. When Twilight placed her back on the ground Rainbow said, “Thank you, Twilight. For everything.”

Twilight nuzzled her friend, a sad smile on her face. “Hang in there. I’ll be nearby if you need me.” Twilight flew off to a space in the distance, keeping a vigil over her friend just in case something else threatened to hurt her.

For a while Rainbow Dash just laid her head on the soft grass, not wanting to move; not wanting to think. Out of it all was the nagging feeling that she had been responsible for Henry’s death. She had let a friend die despite how much she always gave to protect those close to her. That thought was nearly unbearable. She felt a strong emptiness inside of her. Even though she had only known him for a short time she had enjoyed his company and he had earned a spot in her heart for his giving nature.

Mustering a little strength she forced herself to a sitting position, once more staring up into the full moon. “I’m sorry,” she said into the air as tears began coming down her eyes. “I’m sorry!”

All of them had to return home soon and leave this world behind. All of her friends were needed for their respective talents, Princess Celestia had to raise the sun in a few hours, and the Elements of Harmony had to once more be returned to the Tree of Harmony. What was she supposed to do from here? How should she move on?

It was about fifteen minutes later when Rainbow heard hoofsteps approaching. She glanced over to see Princess Celestia coming towards her. Wordlessly she sat down next to Rainbow Dash. “Princess…”

“Rainbow Dash,” started Celestia. “It was a tragedy what happened here today, but no one can blame you for the choices you made. Under the given circumstances you made the best decisions you were able in a difficult position. You are NOT to blame for what happened here today.”

Rainbow turned away, her eyes burning as more tears came down them, trying to deny Celestia’s comforting words. “He put his trust in me! He healed me, took care of me, offered me a place to sleep for the night, and all I gave him in return was mistrust and death! I ran away from him after he promised to keep me safe in a place those two wouldn’t be able to find me. I’m DIRECTLY responsible for it all!”

“No… you’re not. The only ones responsible for what happened today are those two, and them alone. Had it not been for their greed and their evil intentions you would have met Henry under more favorable circumstances, and neither of you would have gotten hurt. Do not blame your good heart for the evils of humankind.

“You tried to blame yourself before, and what was Henry’s reaction? He shushed you, telling you to drop it and that he forgave you. He understood exactly why you did what you did. With his last minutes he told you to live a good life and not give up. If you truly do consider him a friend then do not dishonor his memory by hating yourself for something outside of your control. Forgive yourself, and find a way to honor him with the way you choose to live your life from here on out.”

It was quiet for a minute before Rainbow looked back up a Celestia, a calmer look on her face as she sniffed and wiped her face. “I… I can do that. And… I think I know exactly the way I’m going to do it.”

“What’s that?”

“He mentioned that his friend Linda and her daughters were coming home tomorrow. He told me not to give up on humans and to give them a chance, just in case another accident brings me to this world again. I’m going to meet them and talk with them.”

“Are you sure about that?”

“He gave his life to teach me something important. What’s the point of being taught a lesson if you don’t learn anything from it? Besides… Linda deserves to know why her friend died.”

With a reserved look Celestia asked, “And if Linda is not the sweet person Henry made her out to be?”

With a slight smile Rainbow responded, “I have all of you.”

Celestia smiled down at Rainbow now. “Good answer.”

“I need to sleep,” said Rainbow Dash. “I’m going to have a long day tomorrow. Oh! But I can’t. You need to go home, don’t you? The sunrise.”

“You don't have to worry about that. Just in case this was going to take a lot of time I asked my sister to take care of raising the sun.”

“Really?”

“Of course. I trust my sister. I know she can handle it. So if you need to sleep I’ll keep watch over you.”

“Thanks. Can you help me get to the house? Another lesson Henry tried to instill in me. Sometimes I need to drop my rampaging pride and just ask for help.”

“No problem.” Her horn glowed as she placed Rainbow Dash on her back and began walking towards the house. Twilight joined them on the way there. As they walked into the house they saw all of the rest of their friends waiting by the front door.

“Let’s go upstairs,” said Rainbow Dash, knowing which room she wanted to go in. She directed them to Tracy’s room. She knew what she needed to do.

Celestia sat on the floor, but the rest of them sat around her on the bed. Dropping her guard and pride completely she let herself be “weak” and told all of them about her time in the human world. She held nothing back, being completely open of her fears and worries, and of the pain she had gone through while waiting for them. Every single one of her friends looked heartbroken to hear how so much had happened in so little a time. All of them cried together.

Feeling better after getting her feelings out and being comforted by all of them she felt it was time to rest. Resting her head on her hooves she felt them each snuggle in around her, her protective shield that would not let any harm come to her anymore. She fell into an easy sleep, watched over by Celestia.

Author's Note:

Next chapters the last. Hope you enjoy it. It's almost done.