• Published 28th Feb 2014
  • 1,672 Views, 19 Comments

Garble The Not So Bad Dragon - ph0enix



Garble is tired of being a reckless irreasonible teenage dragon, he seeks the help of spike to try and control his greed

  • ...
2
 19
 1,672

From The Dark

Author's Note:

Garble was really hard to characterize because he was only around in one episode. And please note that it was rushed at some points because the contest rules state that you cant have over 3000 words, so i did what I could.

Thanks so so much to flame5768 for fixing my terrible grammar and editing

Also thanks to MoltenXKid for prereading / Proofreading

One shot (I have no sequel intended)



Hope you enjoy :)

Greed,

Greed is the thing that can consume the best of us, it can be the thing that tears families and friends apart. It can be the thing that takes over. Some can control their greed, and others simply can't.

In equestria greed is something that is very common among dragons. Their desire to hoard jewels and gems often times take over, eliminating any kindness the ever once had in them. They turn into the greedy monsters in their teenage years, this is the last chance in their life that they will get to turn themselves around, and change for the better.

This was the very reason i was going to ponyville. The warm spring air blew through the tree branches, causing them to sway.

My name Garble; before this, I was a greed filled teenager who wanted everything around me. Once I learned that most dragons are bound to be monsters their whole lives, well, it got me thinking, and I mean really thinking. I immediately brushed it off as nothing more then a passing thought, and tried to reason with myself on why greed was a good thing. But the more I tried to ignore this thought the more it kept coming up. Did I really want to grow up to be a monster?

After tossing the idea around in my head for a little while, soon I had my answer, and here I am now, approaching ponyville, with nothing but my thoughts to keep me company,no idea if I'll get the help I need or if I’ll be chased off by an angry mob with pitchforks. One thing I did know was today, I would make a change for the better, with or without help.

------------------

Spikes point of view

------------------

I had just finished my daily chores, and stood in the middle of the freakishly clean library before giving a satisfied smile. Now that all of my chores were done, I would have the rest of the day off. Usually I wold spend it sleeping or playing outside, but today was going to be special. Today would be the day I told Rarity how I felt.

I quickly sprinted out the the door. The door made a thump behind me as I continued down the streets of ponyville. The streets were packed with ponies, thanks to the sunny weather and the soft wind blowing through the town. The food vendors were selling produce while the shop keepers were advertising. This was just a regular day in the town of ponyville. I however, was going to make this day special.

soon I reached the boutique and knocked on the door. Moments later rarity appeared from behind the door adorned with a worried look on her face. She had bags under her eyes from a lack of sleep. I peered through the door to see her 'organized chaos' surrounding the room. I brought my gaze back up to the distorted pony in front of me.

"Is something wrong Rarity?"

I got a little worried looking at the disheveled mare in front of Me. And for her I would do anything to help her out. In fact my feelings for rarity aren't exactly secret, all my friends know, and heck maybe. Even the whole town knows about my crush. She may even know, but may just not have the heart to tell me.

"Oh spike, you won't believe the orders I have to fill by tonight!" She said in a panicked tone, and giving me a desperate look.

I knew what this meant for me. I would most likely become a pincushion and retrieve supplies for the rest of the day. But I could never say no to her, especially when she uses her sad eyes. Soon I knew that there was no getting out of this.

"Oh well, if you need any help, then I'd be happy to assist." He said perking her to attention.

This seemed to brighten rarity's attitude a lot more.

We continued into the building were I followed her into the main room were she was working on a purple dress that was only half made. After a few guide lines we started t work.

------------

As I walked into the town, ponies started to turn their heads towards me. As I passed by them I could feel the dirty stares that they were giving me. They think I don't belong in this town, and they're right. I don't belong here that's why I'm only here temporarily.

As I slowly walked down the street, the amount of buildings increased and with them, so did the number of ponies that were staring at me with disgusted expressions. As the sun was beginning to rise over the horizon I became lost. I couldn't ask for directions because I was a dragon, and had no prior knowledge of the town.

I remembered Spike talking about how he was raised by ponies in a hollowed out tree. My best bet would be to look there. Before I could finish my thought I was interrupted by a blast of magic hitting the back of my head. I was knocked over in an instant.

When I managed to stand up, I was staring at the angry face of a purple unicorn. The rage that built up inside me was almost unbearable to try hold. I decided that if I did something to harm her it would look bad for me, due to the fact that we now had some bystanders watching.

"Why are you here??!?" She said in an aggravated tone

I quickly decided that the less she knew, the better. I decided to come with the most simple approach I could think of.

"I'm here to speak with spike." I said in the calmest voice I could muster.

She gave me a suspicious look, before making her next move. She was obviously feuding with herself on whether she would let me see him or if she should chase me out of town.

"What do you want with him?" She kept her attacking stance with her horn lit up aiming it at me, probably just in case I tried anything that she saw threatening.

I saw that this conversation was going to go no where, and decided that the only thing left was to tell this pony the truth about why I'm here. I gave out an audible sigh and began to explain.

"To tell you the truth..." There was along pause.

"I'm here to conquer my greed in the way spike has.. and..." Another long pause

"make some friends" by the end of the sentence my face was red with embarrassment as the realization of what I just said hit me. She let her guard down a little.

"R-really..?" She said in a disbelieving tone.

"Yes" I said calmly looking at the ground.

She came out of her attack position and went to a more calm one her eyes even seemed relaxed.

“ My name is Twilight Sparkle, the librarian of this town, and I am his caretaker. Follow me and I will take you to him."

I was thrilled to be one step closer to achieving my goal.She nodded her head to show the way, she started walking and I followed behind her. I was slowly earning her trust which was a good thing. I was going to conquer my greed.

Conquering my greed is a good thing...right?

-------------

(Spikes point of view)

--------------

Me and rarity had just finished the orders she needed done, and were now cleaning up after ourselves. Usually Rarity would pay me back by giving me a gem or a kiss on the cheek, but tonight none of that mattered. Tonight I had something else planned. If only I knew how to tell her.

"Spike?" I was interrupted by a voice.

I looked up to see rarity staring at me with a quizzical look. Apparently I zoned out for a little bit, and was standing in the middle of the room looking at the floor like an idiot. I quickly shook myself room my trance and focused my attention on the task at hand.

"Spike, is everything alright?"

"Yeah Rarity, I'm fine thanks for asking." I gave her my best fake smile hoping it would buy me a little more time.

Lucky for me she bought it and I was in the clear. A few minutes of thinking about my next move quickly turned into a few hours, and when the cleaning was over I still had no resolve. Rarity was beginning to escort me out the door, I decided that it was time. There was no procrastinating , excuses, or chickening out.

This was it this was the night that would either turn out in my favor or destroy me.

I could feel the doubt in my mind already.

-------------

(Rarity's point of view)

-------------

I was escorting spike to the door where I planned to give him the nicest gem I had in the shop at the moment, I stopped him with my hoof, getting his attention and then proceeded to levitate a blue ocean sapphire over to him. I had been harboring this gem for quite a while and knew now was as good a time as any.

His face was adorned with a overjoyed expression and drool began to leak from his mouth. He was clearly starstruck by the beauty of the gem. As the gem levitated closer to him he outstretched his arms to grab it. After a minute of looking into the gem spike managed to look away and redirect his attention to me.

"Thanks Rarity"

A smile crept on to my face as I walked over and engaged into a hug with him.

"Your welcome" I said still smile

"Give me more!!" He demanded

"Pardon me??" I asked shocked at his gesture.

"I said more!!" He said turning to me.

His eyes had turned from his normally slit shape to a completely black pupil. This was bad, this was how it was on his birth day. This needed to stop now.

"No!" I resisted

He was taken back from his answer obviously not expecting this response.

"What!?!?!"

"I said to stop!" I screamed at him.

"Arghhhh!" He yelled before leaping at me.

-----------

Garble point of view

-----------

A piercing scream filled the air as a crash follows it. Me and the librarian rushed towards the sound. Along the way we could here the towns pony screaming and running in the opposite direction of the crash. As we ran I could only imagine what could have done that crash and who it was that made the scream.

When we arrived we came face to face with a large purple dragon. He had no wings and was clutching a white unicorn in his right claw. The librarian must of knew who this unicorn was because she was slowly losing her perspective of the situation. That meant I was the only one who was capable of stopping this guy from destroying the town.

I went for a charge only to be swiped by his spiked tail, sending me back hundreds of feet crashing into an old cart. I quickly got up and ran back towards the dragon only to be swiped at again, but this time I was fortunate enough to get out of the way.

I jumped up to throw a punch only to make contact with his claw being thrown through the air crashing in the recharge of the once boutique. I was laying on the ground from my massive headache I now had when a blue glint caught my eye. Is that...no it can't be. Can it?it was a gem laying under some ruble. But it wasn't the fact that There was a gem that peeked his interest,but instead of what type it was.

I brushed away the ruble to get a good look at it, and sure enough it was a blue ocean sapphire. It is extremely dangerous to dragons to make physical contact with due to its magical propertied feeds off of a dragons doubts and fears making it almost deadly to most. Luckily I'm a special breed of dragon that is immune to magical diseases and illness's, meaning I can touch it.

If this dragon touched it, then that would explain his tremendous growth spurt. And the only cure from touching it was to eat it. If I was to save this town, then I would have to get him to eat it.

Without questioning anymore I stood up and sprinted to try and get him to eat it. He quickly reacted and tried to step on me with his giant claws.

He then tried to bend down and bite me. I took advantage of this and grabbed his snout where I proceed to throw it down his scaly throat.

After he swallowed the gem there was a flash of light that nearly blinded everyone on the scene. After it died down and everyone managed to focus their vision a purple figure was revealed. He was in a daze probably not sure where he was.

"Spike!!" The librarian and the unicorn yelled as they ran to hug them. I stood there very awkwardly and pretended to by busy, but was un successfully doing so.

His attention went to me where his smile turned into a scowl. And he stared daggers at me like I had just committed a crime.

"You!" He said coldly

He began to charge at me but his tail was caught in a aura of purple magic. He turned around to face his caretaker.

"Why is he here!" He yelled

"Because he wants to conquer his greed and would like you to be his teacher." She said maintaining her calm voice.

His scowl slowly faded into a dumbfounded look.

"Really?" He said turning towards me.

"Really." I said looking straight at him.

"But, what about when you made fun of me and chased me for not breaking the Phoenix egg?"

I sighed; I knew this would come up but I secretly hoped it wouldn't. It was a. Regrettable day but I just hope he can look past it all in the future.

"Look spike, I just want to start over from the beginning." A said looking down already knowing he would reject my request.

I looked up to see a claw lingering in front of me waiting to be shook. Spike was standing there with a grin on his face.

"Hey there my name is spike what's your name?" He said giving me a wink

I was glad we could start over and maybe even be friends,and I knew it would turnout for the better. So I shook his hand.

"Names garble" I said smiling

"Say garble, you want to go get some gems to snack off of and then begin our first lesson?" He said

"Sure thing pal" I said before we started walking off toward the library side by side.

-------

After the several mouths, I was able to conquer my greed. During that time I realized how bad I really wanted this change. I realized how bad I wanted to conquer my greed. And with the help of my new friend spike and his six friends,I had finally gotten to where I want to be. I was free from my greed.

My name is Garble and I am a greed free dragon

--------

Greed,

Greed is the thing that can consume the best of us.

It's also thing that we are meant to conquer

Comments ( 19 )

not bad but should have been made into a longer story a lot of wasted potechal as a one shot

4016770 Well you see it was for a contest and its supposed to be a one shot and between 1000-3000 words.

And I do not plan on making a sequel anytime soon

4016790 well that's a wast of an origanla idea

4016842 yeah we'll to be honest, I just wanted to test the waters with this one and see what others thought of it first.

Love dragons and this story

To be a better dragoooooooon! AT THE GALA!

4016842 even if it wasn't a one shot I wouldn't know where to go with this story.

4034257 try having garbel prove he wishes to change. cut out the spike ose gree this you did and also maby a reconnoiter with his old gang

4035387 good idea.

I might revive this story but I want to see how it does. And if I do revive it, it would have to be a sequel because of the contest

Thisnwas good but could have been longer and had a better reason for why Garble was immune to the gems magic. You earn a like. :moustache:

4666641 the reason it was short was because it was for a contest. The contest rules stated that it could be no longer than 3000. Otherwise I would have made it longer.

4667129 yep, oh and congratulations on the feature.:moustache:

Nice job :)

Some Murphyisms that slipped through, gotta love spell check

very reason( i )was going [ I ]
My name ( ) Garble [ is]
off. Usually I (wold ) [would }
(soon) I reached [caps]
later (rarity) appeared [caps]
front of (Me) [no cap ]
feelings for ( rarity ) [cap}
lines we started (t ) work [to]
speak with (spike0 [cap]
way (spike) has [cap]
Me and (rarity0 [cap]
up to see (rarity0 [cap]
escorting (spike) to [cap]
into the gem (spike) managed [cap]
gem laying under some (ruble) [rubble]
I brushed away the (ruble) [rubble]
"Look (spike,) I just want [cap]
my name is (spike ) [cap]
Names (garble)" I [cap]
Say (garble), [cap]

good story keep going.

Login or register to comment