• Published 26th Oct 2011
  • 42,743 Views, 972 Comments

Those Blue Wings - Tchernobog



A bad cold causes a teleportation spell mixup, with uncomfortable consequences for two ponies

  • ...
59
 972
 42,743

Author's notes

...43 weeks ago. That's at least how long I started this. Wow.

First off, I apologize for the lengthy delay. Blame one of the commenters for suggesting a "photo finish". I liked the idea so much, I wanted to finish the fic with art. So I contacted one artist, who accepted, but before he could start work on the pic, his RL work got very, very busy. I waited a month before we both decided that it would be best to look elsewhere (he hasn't done any art in months now :( )

I then found my current artist, who as you can see did a magnificent piece for a photo finish, indeed.

Anyway.

What a journey this has been. My inspiration for this was seeing numerous... NUMEROUS "Dash loses wings" fics at the time, and then seeing several body swap fics. I basically thought... well, what about meeting them mid-way? I haven't seen that before.

Little did I know that the "twilight messes up a spell" and "dash loses wings" things was fairly frowned upon by prereaders and so on. Still, my first chapter got through on EQD.

None of these chapters, up until chapter 6 or so, were planned. I just wrote down what came to mind, and what me and my numerous prereaders brainstormed. Then one of my prereaders spent so much time and effort into looking at stuff, and we spent so much time brainstorming that he practically turned into a co-author. So since then, chapters 7 and onwards began to turn into something I feel was of higher quality, but still mostly me writing it on the fly.

Chapter 8 and onwards were outlined, planned and hashed out in advance, THEN written. Though many changes happened and revisions were done before the chapters were published.

For example, chapters 11 through 13 used to be one single 12.6k word chapter. The outline had 16 bullet points, with sub-points for each.

...by the time I hit the third bullet point, the chapter was already at 5-6k words. It kinda got out of hand XD


And you know what the scariest part of all this? My "plan" initially stopped at chapter 7. Rainbow and AJ would fight, Dash would run away. AJ would go chasing her and they'd make up in the same chapter.

I am so glad my prereader/coauthor talked me out of that.

However, this does leave one issue.

Chapters 7 onwards are, in my eye, of rather high quality. Especially 11 onwards. However, in comparison... chapters 1 through 6 are not. After submitting Mood Wings to EQD, I realise that those early chapters would not pass the muster of current pre-readers.

So I'm gonna revise them. Not a complete re-write, but more an expansion, an addition of content to early chapters to make the overall story better. I want to bring the quality of those chapters up to par with the later ones. I'll likely add another author's note later to update you all when those edits are done, as I'll be tackling it one chapter at a time :)


Thank you all for reading, and I must thank numerous people for prereading.

Obscurica, for prereading/brainstorming since early chapters. Synfony and Moltare likewise.
Whiteout, likewise an early prereader and brainstormer. And great help with AJ's southern expressions :P Go comment on both of their pages, they need to get writing! :D

Kits, for prereading/commenting on some of the later chapters. Was a great help, even if he likes the heathen Pinkiedash ship. Hmph!

And finally, Macdjord for being a prereader extraordinaire and at this point, practically a co-author. I write the fic, but we both have the ideas, and he does the edits. Considering these later chapters, and Mood Wings... I say we make a good team, no?


Thanks to all the artists I commissioned to make the art for the various chapters, or those who let me use existing ones. I feel it injected a bit more life into the chapters :)


Please, if you have any questions, ask them in the comments. I'll respond to what I can :)

Comments ( 115 )

1179931
And was that some Fluttermac there at the end, or just shipping goggles?

I think this might be the best response: dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/Fluttershy_lolface.png
I like leaving it up to the reader ;)

And yes. That joke? It's been building ever since twilight's eureka moment in chapter 6 dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/shrug_Twilight_Sparkle.png

I can understand the wings, but why did you also swap the tails? That always struck me as a bit odd, but then again, no one ever said magic made sense I guess. :twilightsmile: Only real 'question' I had, I quite enjoyed everything else.

Heathen Pinkiedash? Yeah, everyone knows Pinkie belongs with Twilight.
scranton.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw2647-gendospike.jpg

1179939

Honestly? To put in a bit of equality. Just swapping Rainbow's wings reeked too much of other "Dash loses wings" fics. It put too much emphasis on Dash alone, I felt. Adding the tail let AJ 'lose' something as well, even if it was just a minor thing.

If that makes any sense :)

Now that its finished I can put it on my '3 Stories you absolutley must read' list on my user page. Only third place but the other two are really good.

1179950

Makes sense, can't really strip an earth pony of anything, not like you can a unicorn or a pegasus...except maybe making Pinkie lose her Pinkie Sense or something. AJ doesn't really...wait a second, I just imagined AJ losing her accent to Rainbow :rainbowlaugh: that would be awesome. Great story though! Been following it since near the beginning, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, even though TwiDash is best ship.

1179950 1179959 It makes sense, considering that AJ can use her tail for all sorts of stuff. An example would be lassoing. I doubt that RD's tail is able to do that.

It was certainly a very beautiful story. I enjoyed the sense of tension throughout it, and the ending peace between all parties. And Luna was especially entertaining with her trouble-making ideas.

Nicely done. :twilightsmile:

Looking forward to whatever you write next!

1180069
Revisions come first :) but I do have a story in mind next... that I think will be great fun ;)

I do not approve of appledash shipping,most of the time :ajsleepy: BUT ILL READ THS FOR IT'S REVIEWS :rainbowwild: :rainbowkiss: :twilightsheepish:

Congratulations on reaching completion man!
Onwards and upwards!

I need a way to describe this...

SENSATIONAL!

Replace the words before the 'Sensational' part with 'OMG, STORY UPDATE!' and 'It's complete :D'

This was an amazing story. You captured the relationship between Dash and AJ very well from the very start of the problem. They were confused, conflicted, and worried about their futures, but you slowly made them come together from this upset and it developed into a well thought out and highly detailed romance.

But what made this story also flow was how you kept everyone else in character. Pinkie Pie and Twilight I think were the best secondary characters.

Between the well thought scenes and emotions, I can easily say this is the best RDxAJ fic out there and you deserve all the praise for it.

I hope to be just as good as you in writing someday in the future. Till then, I'll be sure to take what I've learned from reading this and apply to my own fics.

Hope to see more work from you soon.

Also, I give you these:

farm4.static.flickr.com/3214/2496988324_84f523501a.jpg

Truly a fic worthy of three championships.

Rated Out

1180112
Glad I could help! Shipping in this setting is wonderful (admittedly dependant on the ship mind you). It just makes you feel so good :)

1180176
I'LL CONVERT YOU YET! dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/Rainbow_Dash_lolface.png dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/Applejack_lolface.png

1180267
Thank you kindly. As I've mentioned in many responses to people, characterization and believability was what I was striving for above all. I'd like to think that I've gotten the hang on Dash and AJ, but hearing that Twi worked out so well too is great to hear. Pinkie Pie was... tough. I still don't think I've gotten a very good hang of her.
Thanks for the praise :rainbowkiss:
And from what I've read of your RDxAJ fic... I'm not worried. Well, apart from your update speed dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/misc_Pinkie_loool.png . But I can't wait to see where you go with it :)

I can't believe this is the end, this was the first fic I started reading and now it's over:fluttercry:... I really hope you'll write a fic as awesome as this one, for all the good times this fic has brought me THANK YOU!

1180374
I do have one project in mind once i finish revisions of the early Blue Wings chapters, and I have ideas for something else after that :)

1180379
dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/Pinkie_Pie_lolface.png
I regret nothing!

1180395
Really? I think I made her quite tame compared to a billion other fics that make her utterly random and fourth wall breaking... something she really isn't. Then again, Pinkie isn't for everyone ;)

you sir have won the internet

5/5 :moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

i wnt moar tho :raritydespair: but thanks for the ride and i loved the story

Very lovely! Been following since it began and truly worth every step. I shall eagerly look forward to seeing the edits.

Congrats! You wrote an amazing story. Awesome from beginning to end, and I have no doubt you'll just make it more awesome. We have an AppleDash flagship!

But now there's a suspicious lack of AppleDash on EqD. . . You'd better get writing again soon. :rainbowlaugh:

Ahh... I really enjoyed this fic. Been following it from when it was first posted. Congrates and finishing and finishing well. Now Applejack and Rainbow can fly off into the sunset.

1179939
It's because he wanted to have AJ's tail "twitch" before the implied sexytimes, just to make Rainbow Dash feel awkward about earth Pony tails.

You'll never convert me, PinkieDash OTP

But I will pair outside my OTP

I tried starting this, but found the early writing was just extremely stilted in places, and I stopped around chapter 3.

I look forward to the revisions.

There is no such thing as mistakes; only happy accidents.

While this phrase is somewhat enigmatic, it serves the purpose of what I'm trying to convey. You took a relatively simple tale and turned into a world full of wondrous things- all because of one 'happy accident'. And I wish to say thank you for putting pen to paper, as 'twere; and giving us a glimpse into that world.

1181485
I hope not to disappoint! I do feal that the first three chapters are quite awful compared to what I have now. Hence the rather urgent need to revise XD

1181532
Well. Luna does name them dew wings, but being a princess, she's powered them up a little. And gave them an extra touch ;)

This was an absolutely amazing, heart-wrenching and wonderful story. One of the best of the fandom. You should feel proud.

1181860
I don't think she'd mind either dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/Rainbow_Dash_lolface.png
Who knows, now that Luna has shown it to be possible, Twilight might just do that~

This was the second fic I ever read (as much as what was available at the time anyway), so you are rather responsible for this brony. Thanks for helping me convert with your story. :twilightsmile:

:pinkiegasp::rainbowhuh:<<<- HEATHEN!? What is this?! I don't even...
J/k. Best. Appledash story. EVER!

a3V

So it's finally done.

I admit, due to the length between updates I've actually had to reread the story a few times to get myself reoriented.

I wouldn't mind getting an excuse to read this again.

Please Tcherno tell me that you gonna make a Sequel or something like that!
like....first date....get more in the realation....could be great!
of course...after you rewrite the first chapters if you want
is just that....when a story is So Great as your...is alawys nice see a sequel whit more things.....
sorry if I just beging a botter XD, is just that I Really love this story of yours! XD

I must comment and say the "Twilight messing up on a spell" and "Dash losing her wings" you covered with a simple, yet brilliant, idea. I made Twilight sick, and the theory of unicorns being sick hinders their magical performance, was a fa-nominal idea. Being that she was sick, having it disrupt her magic, goes against the ideas of Twilight no messing up a spell. She is very capable of using magic herself, but the complications that come to her is what makes her magic uncontrollable. Using this, and combining it with the idea of Dash losing her wings, you were capable of creating one of the most magnificent fan fictions I have ever read. I really couldn't see how Dash would be like without her wings, but you helped me visualize this idea. Your characterization was spot on, and that is another reason I love this story. The first thing I ever look in a story is characterization; I love it when people can get the characters exactly, or nearly so. Sometimes, I will excuse some of the off character stories because they have a reason, and it leads to my second thing I look for in a story: the plot. The story, the idea behind it, and the plot of the story is what I love to see. I enjoy reading some outlandish stories because of how creative they are. Lastly, I look for visualization because I always want to feel like I am part of the story. (Yes, I am a grammar-nazi as well, but that is the least of my priorities.) Those Blue Wings has covered these three things significantly, and I am happy I came across such an amazing story. Thank you for sharing this idea with us. I will be looking forward to your future stories to come.:ajsmug:

From hell, to you, and back again,
Soto Konoha

So.... What's next?

One word: Awesome

A wonderful end to a great story. Well done! :3

It was an awesome read and I look forward to the revisions. :ajsmug:

Well, this has been a hell of a journey. I'm not usually a fan of this particular ship at all, I am also NOT a Dash fan and tend to avoid stories focused on her, but something about the first chapter just kind of grabbed me, so I decided to stick with it. And I am most definitely glad I did. This was a beautiful story from start to finish. You accomplished the impossible here my friend-you actually got me to give a damn about Rainbow Dash, and for that, I salute you.

pictures.mastermarf.com/blog/2011/110704-derpy-usa-550.jpg



Oh, and to anyone claiming hints of FlutterMac at the end, I say only NEIGH. To me, it seemed like a growing platonic friendship and nothing more (and I'm NOT just saying that because I OTP TwiMac).

Oh boy when I asked if this is 'still alive' I never thought of it being so close to end, but oh well. Everything ends one day.
Well written, I hope you are not planning to stop writting more fan-fics when this now ended..you have some imagination there :).

1191378
I dunno, you tell me! :pinkiehappy:
And if you see any issues with stuff, please comment/send feedback too :)

1191538
Thank you :) is there anything in particular you liked? or disliked? :) pray tell!

1190735 My favorite is The Rainbow Effect by AquarianPoet. It was the first story I read on FimFiction, and it was the story that got me to join. Also, it got me to believe in the AppleDash ship. I already liked AppleDash before, but the way she wrote the story made their feelings seem believable towards one another. She has amazing visualization and characterization that is just mind blowing. The plot, like I said earlier, is noses away from being believable. It does have a clop in there, and I was really worries about reading it. I read it anyways, and it only added to their affection for one another. Yeah, that's my favorite AppleDash fiction from the very beginning of ever reading fan fictions. cdn.broni.es/images/emotes/mlp-prainbow.png

I had started your story back when it was about three chapters, but I managed to stop catching updates after a while. When I saw this story reappear, I was so happy! :pinkiehappy: And now it's done! :pinkiesad2: Oh, well, it was still a ride!
And what a ride it was! I laughed, I cried, I cheered. Don't let it stop here, buckaroo. The world needs your stories! Keep writing, for us, for you, for Equestria! :raritystarry:

I'm pretty sure you're outnumbered on the heathen ship opinion there.

I'm Fairly certain, but will have to get to a real computer to check, that I passed this chapter one because it wasn't Twi fucks up a spell because she sucks at magic. It wasn't Dash loses her wings and tries to off herself. It didnt depict any of the actors as incompetent or stupid, which is the main reason Twi fucks up a spell is so hated. Cross and arrow and Lost and Found both pull off twi spell derp without makin her seem incompetent. And lo and behold, there isn't a huge backlash against them.

I won't say I dislike appledash as a concept. Rather I dislike te fact that there seem to be two stories that everyone writes. Thanks for not writing those. It was a fun read. I guess you'll contInue on with more of 5th best dash ship. I do look forward to serig what else you come up with.

Also, the game

Login or register to comment