• Published 20th Feb 2014
  • 427 Views, 2 Comments

Geode - Kipakuta



Jasper and Centre have had their share of difficulties and obstacles, but they support each-other through good times and bad.

  • ...
 2
 427

Hidden Beauty

"Caprillette!" The gray unicorn flinched at the sound of her mothers' voice. She slowly strode out of her room and into the main room of the small abode. "I am very disappointed."

"I can explain, mother," Caprillette sniffled. "I tried, I really did."

"Year after year, You have taken that class, and you have given them the same results every time," Her mother replied. "By now, the ponies that were in the first class with you know at least a dozen spells. Your classmates are a third your age, and they have manage to pass the test."

"I just cannot use magic because-" Caprillette began.

"-because of your broken horn?!" Her mother finished. Caprillette flinched. "The mark of your real sire. Maybe you should go and find him! You're useless here."

"Mother, I can try to lived as an earth pony does," She pleaded.

"Do not overstep your boundaries, Caprillette," The older unicorn sneered. "You can barely lift a trowel with your magic. I do not foresee you having any success with growing crops or tending animals."

"But I can still pick up, carry and haul things," Caprillette said.

"Go down to the beach and wait for me," The older unicorn instructed. Caprillette nodded, then slowly shuffled out the door.

- - -

Caprillette stood up as she noticed her mother approaching. The older unicorn had several auras carrying various items: A few ropes, a food-pot, two waterskins, a thin wool blanket, a few heavy logs, and some wooden poles. "Mother, what is all of this for?" Caprillette asked.

"My intention is to correct a mistake that I made a long time ago," Her mother replied. "Be silent, be still, and observe." Caprillette sat in the shadow of a tall rock pillar, watching as her mother used the poles, rope and logs to make a raft. The mature unicorn would pause occasionally to take a sip from one of the waterskins, or wipe some sweat off her brow.

During the whole activity, Caprillette felt an unpleasant gnawing in her stomach, different from hunger. She tried to speak to her mother a few times, but the mare would silence her by making a slapping motion. The time passed in silence, with the sun sliding across the sky over the northern horizon and the tide slowly creeping up the sand.

Once the mare had finished the raft, she placed the food-pot, blanket, and remaining waterskin on the, then pushed it partway past the waterline. "Caprillette, I am giving you one last chance to justify your life," She indicated the raft. "Seek out your father, and maybe he will teach you how to use his kind of magic." The mare spat.

"My father..." Caprillette climbed onto the raft. "Is this really the only way?"

"You may find him, or you may not. It is his whim to decide," her mother replied. "But you no longer have a place here." The mare turned away, giving the raft a kick as she departed. The tide pulled the raft partway along the wash zone, before receding fully. A second wave and backwash pulled the raft out fully into the water. As it passed through the mists that swirled around the land, Caprillette began bawling.

- - -

The amount of food and water that she had been given would normally last for ten meals. Assuming three meals a day, it seemed that the intent was for starvation to begin around noon of the fourth day. By rationing only enough to fight off the pangs of hunger, Caprillette managed to stretch the supply to a week. The blanket, while intended to provide some protection against the cold night air, had gotten soaked, and never fully dried out. Day by day, she noticed the path of the sun and moon getting higher and higher.

She had just finished the last of the water, when she heard something splash nearby. "It ain't no good to be floating around this far from shore." A mare called. Caprillette dropped the waterskin and stared at the other pony. "Ya got lost or something?"

"You gave me a fright," she began. "If it would not inconvenience you terribly, I am in need of food and water."

The other mare swam forward, then placed a flippered foreleg on the edge of the raft. "You sound like you just stepped out of a Post Discord novel, but I can get you to some vittles." She gave a short cackle.

Caprillette took a step back. "What manner of being are you?"

"Oh this?" The other pony replied, waving the limb. "I'm a Mera, the tribe of water."

"But I have always been told that unicorns are the water tribe," Caprillette replied. "For all the good that does me." She muttered.

"That's actually considered a heresy," The Mera said.

"A heresy? That would mean an alternative," Caprillette mused. "If your breed is the tribe of water, then what is the unicorns' element?"

"Fire," The Mera replied. "Your breed used to move the sun and the moon."

"That was before Discord rose up and unleashed chaos on the empire," Caprillette sighed. "Where might he be found?"

"I would suggest looking in Canterlot," The Mera replied. "Last I heard, The Princess keeps him there."

"Pardon? A Princess?" Caprillette splayed her ears. "How is it that she keeps him there? He is said to be Chaos incarnate."

"Well, eleven centuries ago, The Princesses, Celestia and Luna, gave him a whooping and sealed him in stone," The Mera replied. "What a fun little brouhaha that was."

"How is that possible? My ancestors fled to avoid his madness," Caprillette said, disbelieving.

The Mera gave a shrug, "Best place to start would be to ask the Princess directly," She climbed up onto the raft. "Canterlot would be about four days away, with my pods' help."

"I will need food and water for the trip," Caprillette replied.

"We'll take care of that, just trust in us," The Mera replied. "Sand Dollar." She held out a fin.

"Caprillette," She replied.

"Yeah, I was wondering about your horn." Sand Dollar peered at the unicorns' forhead.

"It is a blemish put upon me, marking me as one of Discords' childer," The unicorn replied, lowering her gaze.

"Who came up with that idea?" Sand asked.

"My community," Caprillette replied.

"Why are you out here, again?" Sand questioned.

"I was sent out by my mother," Caprillette replied. "To find Discord, or befall whatever whimsy he would impart upon me."

"Sounds like you need to get educated, and fast." Sand Dollar said. "We'll see to it that you get help, filly."

"Thank you," The unicorn smiled. "For being my first real friend."

- - -

Caprillette was informed that she had sailed past a continent where she could have landed and gotten aid. With a quick detour back to it, the pod managed to convince some of the land dwelling ponies to provide food and medical assistance. The crude raft was ditched for a catamaran boat, which was faster in water, and had more space for supplies. After being treated for sunburn and salt abrasion, Caprillette was given some clothing and a waterproof cloak.

She was transferred to the protection of a nomadic pod. Taking turns pulling the boat, the Merae followed a current that ran roughly parallel to the south shore of Neighsia. During the trip, a few would swim alongside the boat, and chat with Caprillette, informing her of basic details of the last millennium.

By noon of the second day they approached the shores of the Edjer Krala wild-lands. The sight of dragons soaring overhead inspired both awe and some fear. On several occasions, they watched as dragons dove into the water, resurfacing moments later with large fish in their jaws. One of the Merae shared a quick geography lesson, naming the nearby Caliphate of Saddle Arabia. The Mera present the option of traveling through the domain and saving a day of travel, but the lack of river routes prevented the pod from coming along. Caprillette chose to remain with them, not wanting to be alone again.

When evening rolled around, they sought shelter in a nearby bay. With help, Caprillette managed to set up a tent and campfire. Resting under a padded blanket, she thanked her friends. At their suggestion and with their guidance, she offered a prayer to each of the Royal Sisters.

The next morning, she disassembled the campsite, packed things as best she could, then boarded the boat again. At mid morning, the group entered the strait that divided the dragon lands from the Buffalo Prairie. "Not too much further," One of the Mera said. "The worst is behind us now, so you can rest easy."

"I am uncertain as to the truth of that," Caprillette called out. "Even when we do reach civilization, I may be treated as I was before."

"Listen, I promise you that not everypony is as mean as your tribe was," The Mera replied. "I've got cousins up in this sea, and even some on land."

"Yes, you have mentioned that your kind are much like a single family, spread out around the oceans." The pod slowed. "Be there something the matter?"

"A question, friend," another Mera called from the other side of the boat. "How have we treated you?"

"You have been most helpful, gregarious, talkative, and-"

"Now multiply that by about million," The Mera smirked. "That's us. That's our friends, landed kin, and the Princessess themselfs."

"I am deeply regretful. I did not mean any harsh rebuke," the unicorn said. "I have never before encountered this amount of goodwill." She spoke in a more respectful manner.

"Anyways," The Mera softened his tone. "We won't be staying long. What we plan to do is to situate you with another pod. You might be a little nervous, but just keep in mind that we're all kin."

"And this other pod, they will escort me to Canterlot?"

"As close as they can," The Mera said. "Canterlot is on a mountain, a little ways inland. What they can do is get you to a city that has a direct route to it, and a harbour."

"Like a road that goes from the harbor to Canterlot?" Caprillette wondered.

"Yeah, think of it like that."

- - -

Once the other pod arrived to aid Caprillette, the trip through the Mareterraneighn Sea passed without incident. They kept to the shoreline on the right, noting the occasional buffalo camp or settler town. As time passed, the camps became fewer, and the towns more frequent, and larger, marking the transition to the freestate territories. Night descended, and lights appeared at several places along the coast, illuminating the larger cities and towns.

Having taken frequent naps during the day, Caprillette felt more alert and confident. They entered the Gulf of York, and one of the Merae pointed out a cluster of lights in the distance. "That's Manehattan. We should be there before too long."

"Should we stop somewhere and set up our campsite?" Caprillette asked.

"Not a good idea," The Mera replied. "Don't worry though, We've got a friend who can help. Just give it three more hours."

By the time the boat landed on a beach, Caprillette felt ready to collapse from exhaustion. The Merae managed negotiations with the landowners, and a room was offered. Although she felt faint, Caprillette kept her focus on the dark green unicorn stallion. Something, some sensation indicated that this pony was important.

A pair of earth ponies helped her into a large building, and up a spiral ramp to a bedroom. She was undressed, then helped into bed. Though she was happy to be in a warm bed again, she still felt like she was on a raft, bobbing at sea.

- - -

She was awoken by a knock on the door. "May I come in?" A mare called from the other side.

"You may," Caprillette replied. The door opened, and a pink unicorn entered.

"I trust that you slept well. They tell me that you've been adrift for two weeks." The mare replied. "I am Aurelina LaRoullette." She held out a hoof.

"Caprillette," came the reply.

Aurelina embraced the other unicorn. "How horrible that they would name you because of your deformity. Come, we must find a new name for you,"

Caprillette hesitated for a moment. "Wait, I did see a green unicorn last night. Can you take me to them? I feel as though I must meet with them again,"

"My husband, he is very busy with other matters," Aurelina replied. "But come now. You must eat so that you may work."

"My magic is weak, though," Caprillette indicated her horn. "Have you any tasks I could perform without its use."

The pair headed along the halls of the Chateau, and Aurelina explained. "I would imagine that you want something that doesn't require much socializing. Perhaps you could help with the administration. It's more about handling things than ponies."

"Yes, I would like that," She stopped and looked at one of the posters on the wall.

"Do you like it?" Aurelina asked. "My husband knows of many attractions for guests to visit," She moved over to another poster. "Like the Canterlot Centre for Performing Arts."

"Do you have a centre here?"

"No, but we have an ampitheatre, and a cabaret." Aurelina replied.

"The word has a certain feel to it." She stared off into the distance. "Centre. It's like 'sent her;'"

"Maybe Fortuna sent you to us." Aurelina replied.

"Pardon? Who is this 'Fortuna.'"

"She is said to be Discords sister, one who is more subtle and precise with her chicanery."

"I would like to have that as my name. Centre. The word just sounds right."

"Then we shall make it happen," Aurelina replied.

Comments ( 1 )

I wish this had not been cancelled. It got off to a great beginning.

Login or register to comment