• Published 7th Mar 2014
  • 7,401 Views, 93 Comments

Riddle Me This - Zaphod



Twilight Sparkle received a strange note in the mail. There was no doubt that it was Rarity who had penned the curvy script gracing the letter, but the riddle that lay tauntingly alongside her greeting was quite the mystery. Twilight loved mysteries.

  • ...
14
 93
 7,401

Chapter 5

Twilight had a plan; she was sure of it. It was… it was… Oh, Celestia, what was it?! She had walked into the Carousel Boutique as the epitome of a mare on a mission but now she could practically feel the confidence draining out of her. She had to salvage this situation somehow. She cleared her throat. “Well, uh, here I am.” Smooth as silk, Twilight.

Rarity giggled airily. “Here you are indeed. There’s no need to be so nervous, Twilight. We’re both friends here.”

Twilight smiled sheepishly. “I’m that easy to read, huh?”

“I like to think I have a discerning eye for these types of things.” She winked and stood from the couch. “Would you like some tea, dear? It could help calm the jitters.”

“Yes, please. Green, if you have it.” She relaxed as Rarity moved to the kitchen. It was absurd. Twilight couldn’t remember a time she was left utterly incapable of speech quite like this one. It was one little question, so why was it so difficult?

“So,” she heard her friend say from the other room, “what’s on your mind?”

Come on, Twilight. Just say it. Say it! She gulped audibly. “I… I wanted to talk to you about the riddles, in truth.”

“I had a feeling that’s what this was all about. Just a moment and I’ll be out with the tea.”

Twilight tapped a hoof distractedly. What was she going to say? ‘Hey Rarity, those riddles were kind of ambiguous so I want to ask if you love me’? Make it about her own feelings and come clean to the mare?

“Here you go,” Rarity said, levitating the teacup until it was grasped in a lavender aura. “So. Pick my brain. What would you like to know?”

Maybe I’ll start simple and work my way up to the harder questions. “How long have you planned for this game?” Twilight asked. “Obviously you had to not only write them, but convince our friends to help you distribute them.”

“I’ve been tossing this idea around for a while now, but only just put it into motion this week. Believe it or not, I wrote all three riddles to completion in the span of a single day.” Rarity took a sip of her tea pensively. “As for asking for help, you know how Pinkie Pie is when it comes to games and fun. How could she say no?”

“And Fluttershy?”

“She did, admittedly, require a bit more effort. The reason she came to see me today was that she was deathly afraid of spilling the secret and disappointing me. Unnecessarily, mind you; I could never be angry at her, let alone for doing something for a friend.”

Twilight took a draught of her tea. The words sounded genuine, but something didn’t quite make sense. “Call me crazy, but that seems like a serious reaction for just giving up the fact that she had a riddle. This is more than just a game, isn’t it?”

“Perceptive as always.” Rarity’s smile tightened. “You’re right, of course; there’s more to it than that, but I’m afraid telling you would give away the prize. Sorry, Twilight.”

“Why lead me on like this, Rarity?” Twilight asked. “You’re my best friend, and that will never, ever change. I thought you could trust me enough to tell me what’s going on.” She paused. Her words turned to bile in her throat as she realized another problem. “But in the end, I’m no different. I’ve been hiding something from you for a while, too.”

“...” Twilight was about to apologize for being so curt when Rarity spoke up. “I think… that it’s time for you to read the third and final piece of our game.”

“Rarity, I don’t—”

She felt a hoof lay itself against her side. “Please. Everything will make sense then. I promise.”

Twilight gazed deep into the wide, pleading eyes of the mare next to her. If ever there was a time to trust her friend’s words, it was now. She gave a single nod. “Okay.”

Rarity held her tongue as Twilight broke the seal and unfurled the final riddle. She let her hoof fall from Twilight’s shoulder, resting it on her own lap. “All the cards are on the table now. The way forward is in your hooves, Twilight. Whatever you choose, just… please don’t hold it against me. If you could, please read it aloud.”

”Well, here we are at the end of our little game. I apologize if it feels like it went by far too quickly, but perhaps that’s a compliment to your brilliant problem solving skills. Admittedly, this letter will seem rather foolish if you haven’t solved the trio of riddles in one day. The downsides of waiting until the last minute, I suppose.

If you haven’t quite pieced it together by now, then I apologize again for being so vague with my clues. The truth is that there was more to this little plan than fun for its own sake. I have no doubt that you will have questions and since at the time of this writing, I don’t know if we have met face to face, I’ll do my best to clear the air, so to speak.

You see, I haven’t quite been feeling myself lately. Many nights I would lie awake, unable to find solace in dreamtime. My stomach twists and turns without hunger, and I’ve been feeling an overbearing amount of longing.”

Rarity couldn’t quite meet Twilight’s searching eyes as she looked up. A question seemed to be hanging on the tip of her tongue, but no query came. “Don’t stop now, darling. The point of the whole thing has yet to come.”

”It was a discomforting feeling, to say the least. But as the days went on, I began to realize the most peculiar thing. When I thought about finding a special somepony, the longing did not go away. In fact, as I mentally imagined the types of mares or stallions I would normally find captivating, I couldn’t bring myself to feel interested. ‘What is wrong with me?’ I would frequently ask myself. At times, the feeling was so miserable that I was too distracted to continue working on dress orders. Not even our group get-togethers could stave off the feeling.

So imagine my surprise when you visited me alone out of the blue one winter afternoon. I remember the day clearly: Snow had blanketed our quaint little town overnight and you appeared at my door in a knitted hat and scarf, looking for all the world like you had just gotten into a brawl with a particularly angry snowpony. ‘A snowball fight with Spike,’ you had said with a laugh. ‘In which both sides had unanimously agreed to a truce.’ But it turned out that he had gone off to play in the snow with my sister and her friends, so you were left on your own. To ease the boredom, you wanted me to join you for a quiet reading day in the library. I distinctly remember promises of hot cocoa and a warm fire helped sway my decision.

“I remember that day!” Twilight declared suddenly. “I still say Spike cheated during that snowball fight! I definitely saw him melt a snowball or two before they hit him!” She sighed, reminiscing on the day. “And then spending the whole afternoon with you only made it better. Much as I enjoy reading alone, sometimes you just want someone else there to share the journey.”

Rarity smiled, the day vivid in her memory. “I don’t know if you remember, dear, but you nodded off with your nose in some biography on Starswirl the Bearded.”

Twilight blushed. “I hope I didn’t snore.”

“Not at all. In fact, you barely made a peep even when I lifted a blanket over you or when Spike carried you upstairs that night.”

I was always confused how I ended up back in bed that day! Of course, I should have expected such a kind act from Rarity and Spike, Twilight thought with a grin. She turned her attention back to the letter, continuing where she left off.

And as we sat there that day, basking in the warm glow of the fireplace without a care in the world, swapping stories and poking jokes at one another, I came to the stark knowledge that I hadn’t felt the pang of longing for the entire day. Not once. Now, I may be dramatic at times, but I’m not blind to my own emotions. I recognized it as I was finally dozing off easily in my own bed for the first time in weeks. I had feelings for you, Twilight Sparkle.

Now, one might think that it was a passing fancy. A crush on a pony I knew and respected well enough to call her my best friend. There were days that even I doubted it myself, so I vowed to get a second opinion. Applejack may be many things that I would deem uncouth, but there is no doubt that she listened to me when I needed to get the secret off my chest. Of course, as you would imagine, she recommended time and again that I just go up to you and confess.

At times, I really wanted to do it. To run over to the library, throw caution to the wind and let you know how I truly felt. Most days, I was terrified. Silly the thought may be, I was worried that if you didn’t feel the same, I would drive something between our friendship. That the wonderful bond between us would end because silly, stupid Rarity couldn’t help falling for her best friend.

So consider this my way of telling you. I’m sorry if you feel like I’ve led you on, Twilight. I never meant for anyone to get hurt during this, but it was so much easier to get everything down on paper than to pony up and come clean. I’ve composed a final riddle—or maybe it’s more of a poem—with a very important question.

A long road behind us, but longer ahead,
if you’d answer one question for me:
My dearest, and most lovely Twilight Sparkle,
Would you be my special somepony?


Twilight’s shoulders were shaking and her face was already wet with tears. She let the letter fall out of her hooves and onto the floor.

“Oh no,” Rarity whispered as panic set in. “No, no, Twilight please don’t cry. I’m sorry, I’m so sorry. I’ve made this difficult for you and now you’ll never look at me the same again! Celestia, what have I done?!”

She was about three seconds from bolting up the stairs and locking herself in her room when a most peculiar sound caught her attention. Surely her brain was playing tricks on her, because there was no way the giggles bubbling from the mare next to her were real. Rarity could only watch, stupefied, as the giggles grew into chortles, which exploded into full-blown gales of laughter. She was entirely unprepared for the purple princess to launch herself, wings outstretched, and catch her in an embrace.

“Please,” Twilight said as she caught her breath, mirthful tears still streaming down her face. “Please tell me this isn’t a joke, Rarity. That would be just about the cruelest thing you could do to me right now.”

“Er… no,” she admitted, hesitantly wrapping her arms around Twilight’s middle. “No, I was quite serious. That would have been quite the effort to prank you like that, were I to even degrade myself to such behaviour.” She pulled back slightly, searching Twilight’s face for any hint of displeasure. “You’re not angry or bothered by my confession at all?”

Twilight giggled like a schoolfilly, affectionately nuzzling Rarity’s cheek with her own wet muzzle. “Angry? How could I possibly be angry at you?”

“Well, the whole swearing my love for you suddenly is a good place to start.”

A hoof cupped Rarity’s cheek, keeping her attention fully focused on the mare in front of her. “I think you’re gonna be pleasantly surprised at my answer. You remember how I mentioned I was hiding a secret of my own?”

“Well, yes,” Rarity spoke slowly. “But what does that have to do with… Wait. You mean…?” Her eyes widened, sparkling with newfound hope. The energetic nods from Twilight cemented the feeling of utter joy that spread outward from her heart. “Oh, Twilight!”

Rarity couldn’t help it; she threw her arms around her love. She could never have imagined her plan would turn out this well! All those nights spent lying awake wondering when she’d find the one for her, and the bubbling spring of affection she felt whenever her friend was near; it was all so incredible that she couldn’t help the few tears that were rolling down her cheeks.

“Hey now,” Twilight murmured, stroking Rarity’s mane. “You told me not to cry, so the same goes for you! This has been the best day ever and I don’t want us to sully it with tears!”

The unicorn sniffled, levitating a tissue from the coffee table. “I’m sorry. I must look a terrible mess now.”

“You look beautiful to me.”

“Stop it. You’re just saying that.”

“I mean it,” Twilight insisted. “I don’t think there’s been a single day where I thought you weren’t absolutely breathtaking. I even wrote a poem—eep!” She covered her treacherous mouth with her hooves, but it was far too late for that.

“Oh ho? A poem dedicated to me?” Rarity fluttered her eyelashes. “Well now, you can’t leave me in suspense after saying that. Could you read it to me?”

“I, uh,” Twilight stammered, desperately racking her brain for a way out. Unable to properly think of one, she sighed. “Alright, but… just don’t laugh, okay?”

“I wouldn’t dream of it, darling.” Rarity sat back on the sofa, keeping her attention on Twilight. “Let’s hear it.”

Her mane shines like grapes in my favourite jam,
Her voice reminds me of a harpsichord.
I think she’s divine,
I wish she was mine,
That mare who helped us beat Discord!

“...”

“...” Somehow, I’m getting the faintest sense of deja vu, Twilight thought to herself, waiting anxiously for some kind of response. “Um, Rarity?”

“Pfffft!”

“Oh, come on! First Spike and now you?!” Twilight huffed, crossing her forelegs immaturely, “That’s it, I’m giving up on poetry forever.”

“Twilight, what in Celestia’s name persuaded you to rhyme the words ‘harpsichord’ and ‘Discord’?” Rarity let a few giggles pass despite her better wishes. “Nevermind. I’m sorry for laughing, dear. It was a lovely poem and I’m flattered you cared enough to write it for me.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Twilight grumbled.

Rarity giggled at the princess’ sour disposition. A devious plan came to mind as she leaned close, nibbling the tip of Twilight’s ear. The effect was instantaneous as Twilight lit up like a Hearth’s Warming tree, wings flying open. “Don’t be such a grump, dear. Now come, we’ve got work to do before tomorrow!”

“Tomorrow?” Twilight stood, watching Rarity head toward the staircase. Much to her chagrin, some rather naughty thoughts gave their say on the type of ‘work’ they would be doing. “What do we need to do before tomorrow?”

“Why, make you a one-of-a-kind stunning dress for the Hearts and Hooves Day party, of course!” Rarity glanced over her shoulder with a grin. “We’ll be the talk of the town when we show up in matching ensembles!”

“What?!” Twilight blushed, trotting after her new marefriend. Goodness, it felt great to call her that. “Rarity, you don’t have to do that for me!”

“Pish posh,” Rarity replied, waving off the suggestion. “I’m allowed to spoil you a little bit, Twilight. Now, I’ve already got some designs in mind, but the hard part will be the colours. What could bring out both of our coats? Perhaps a pale blue or…”

Her voice trailed off as she stepped into the workshop. Twilight smiled as she climbed the stairs carefully, sighing contentedly as the door swung closed behind her.