• Published 19th Feb 2014
  • 1,547 Views, 67 Comments

The Mailmare and the Watchmaker - Kaf_Kraked_Poni



How far will Ditzy go to keep one stallion happy? She'll do just about anything to make her new friend, Time Turner, feel welcomed. Even lie to him.

  • ...
4
 67
 1,547

I Brought You a Letter!

The mailroom of the Ponyville Postal Service lay in shambles. Completely littered with postmarked envelopes, unsigned packages, and partially-consumed muffins, of the lemon surprise flavor, mind you, the intriguing little pegasus mare stationed at this section of the office tried her best to pick up after herself. It would seem, however, that every time she bent over to tidy up a stack of papers, the ones behind her would somehow find their way back onto the floor.

“Stupid letters,” Ditzy Doo sighed, grabbing the mail with her mouth. As she drooped her head, her haunches rose into the air, causing her tail to flutter about and smack into another stack of mis-alphabetized messages. “Oh… Oh no,” she whined, staring at the new layer of litter on the ground. She ruffled her blonde mane and rubbed her derped face. For a moment, her eyes aligned correctly, but after a few seconds, they adjusted to their normal position.

“Ditzy! Ditzy Doo!” a voice boomed from the adjacent office. The abrupt summons startled the mare, and she crashed into a pile of parcels positioned unevenly around each other. “Ms. Doo, what on earth are you doing in there?!”

“Uh… I’m trying to find today’s deliveries!” Ditzy shouted back, scrunching her face at the incomprehensible sea of white and occasional paper-brown.

“It’s a wonder that you’re still able to keep your job, given how disastrously messy you are,” the voice said again, this time from the doorway.

Standing in the office now, with a bemused countenance, was a light orange pegasus stallion. His short, green mane tufted out from the back of his neck and spiked up at the top of his cranium. He wore the traditional mail uniform, yet his name tag held three engraved stars under his title, something Ditzy envied with all her might. He wasn’t considerably large, but the stern glare plastered over his face was enough to force Ditzy Doo out of her letter pile and into attention.

“I’m sorry, Mr. Tangelo, sir!” she cried out, leaning over to grab a set of letters. The ones she had stashed in her carrying tote slipped out now, gliding over her head and onto the floor. Mr. Tangelo accompanied each one to the ground with his eyes.

“Ditzy,” he said in a softer tone, not as oppressive, yet still kind of scary, “how many times have I told you that you need to wear your uniform inside and outside of the office?”

“S-sorry, Mr. Tangelo… I guess I forgot again,” she said, lifting the mess off of the floor.

“Yes, that happens a lot as well,” Tangelo muttered under his breath. “Regardless, I need you to stop wasting time here as I already have today’s deliveries prepared for you.”

“You do?!” Ditzy cried, speeding over to Tangelo. Her sudden burst of wind pushed all of the remaining letters onto the ground, as well as uplifting the piles already strewn about on the floor.

“Yes,” Tangelo sighed, putting on a smile. “It would be good for you to… get some fresh air. Not to mention, you are one of the faster mailponies in our department. I figure, even if you are seven minutes behind schedule, you can make up the time.”

“Seven minutes?!” she shouted, glancing at her watch. “But my time says it’s 7:38!”

“When was the last time you had a battery in that thing?”

Ditzy stared at her supervisor for a moment before blushing.

“Oh, my bad,” she said, chuckling nervously afterwards. Tangelo rolled his eyes.

“Don’t worry about your previous engagement, I’m sure we can sort it out at a later time, assuming you’ll actually be on one then,” he remarked, turning away from her and trotting back to his office.

“Don’t worry, Mr. Tangelo,” Ditzy said. “I’ll get these taken care of and be back in time to clean up my mess!”

“I’m sure you will,” Tangelo said, pointing to the large bag on the floor. He entered his office and politely shut the door.

Ditzy was too busy preparing for her routes to hear any of Tangelo’s muffled screams and whatever else he was doing in his office now. She had slipped on her vest and slung the bag of letters over her shoulder, making sure to proudly display the shiny mailpony badge on the outward strap. This was her favorite part of the job, and for good reason too.

“Time to go see all of my friends!” she shouted, taking off rather smoothly this time. She flew out of the building in the clouds and into the the warm, sunny sky. She took in a deep breath, soaking in all of the amazing beauty that her quaint little town had to offer. Upon her exhale, she giggled with excitement and took off.


“Hey, thanks, Ditz,” Rainbow Dash said, patting her on the head.

“Rainbow Dash, I told you I don’t like it when you do that!” she replied, flapping away and straightening her mane.

“Aw, lighten up, Ditzy. I’m just showing you that I appreciate ya,” Rainbow said, knocking her lightly in the foreleg. “So, you just about done then?”

“Yeah,” Ditzy said, doing a loop in the air. “I got one last letter to deliver and then I gotta go back and clean my room.”

“Clean your room?” Rainbow Dash scratched her head.

“My office! Mr. Tangelo said it’s a mess,” she replied.

“That shtick, huh? Well, I better not hold you then,” Rainbow said, hoof bumping her friend. “Good luck with Mr. Tart when you get back.”

“Huh? Who’s Mr. Tart?” Rainbow gave Ditzy a light tap on the shoulder and chuckled.

“And that’s why you’re my favorite mailmare,” she said, flying away. “I’ll meet you at the Cider Slider later!”

“Oh, ok! Thank you Rainbow Dash!” Ditzy shouted, waving at the vanishing blur. “But who’s Mr. Tart?” She hovered in the air for a little bit before laughing suddenly. “He can be a bit sour at times,” she giggled, flying towards her next destination.

She glanced down at the letter in her hooves and studied the address intently, trying to figure out where exactly it was located. She didn’t recognized it at all. According to the postal code, however, it would be located just in the center of town. Ditzy descended, coming to a halt and decided to trot the rest of the way.

“Let’s see,” she sang to herself, looking down at the address on the envelope and back up at the buildings. “2003… 2004… Oh, 2005! This is the place!” Now that she had arrived, she remembered where she was. It was a while since she came to this particular side of town, however.

The building itself was rather old, and from what Ditzy could recall, it had been abandoned for quite some time. She lifted her head, staring now at the sign on the side of the wall. “Time Turner,” she read. Above the name plate was another sign that read, Timey Wimey: A Preferred Watchmaker “Yep, it matches the letter!” She opened the mailbox and placed it inside, turning around to leave.

A thought entered her mind though, at the last moment. She lifted her foreleg and saw that her watch had not moved from its original position, despite the fact that she had been out for a few hours already. She faced the shop again and smiled. That would be perfect! If she got her watch fixed, Tangelo wouldn’t have to worry about her being late anymore. She proudly congratulated herself for her idea, bowing in front of the store at an invisible audience.

“Are you quite all right?” a light voice said from behind her now. Ditzy shouted, jumping into the air before planting face-first into the ground. Her wings remained flared open, slowly resuming their folded position as she brought her head off of the grass.

“I’m sorry,” she squeaked, covering her face still. “Please don’t tell Mr. Tangelo I was dancing around.”

“I… I don’t know a Mr. Tangelo,” the brown earth stallion replied, offering to help her off of the floor. “I’m sure I wouldn’t, even if I did,” he added.

“Oh, that’s a relief!” Ditzy cried, shaking the dirt off of herself. The stallion backed away, avoiding any loose debris that might have fallen on him. “Hi, I’m Ditzy Doo. I’m a mailmare here in Ponyville. I don’t think I’ve seen you around before.” She extended her hoof out to him.

“Time Turner, a pleasure, Ditzy,” he replied, reluctantly accepting the handshake. He looked directly at her eyes, wanting to say something but also feeling the urge to not point out her… seemingly perplexed complexion.. “I uh… I just moved here, about a week ago.”

“Time Turner? So you’re the one I just delivered a letter to!”

“I have mail?” Time Turner asked, trotting over to his mailbox. He opened it and removed the envelope from inside, examining the return address. “Ah, I see,” he said. “Well, thank you, Ditzy Doo.” He smiled, bowing a little before opening his front door and entering.

“Oh, wait!” the bubbly mare shouted, grabbing the stallion’s attention before he could disappear.

“Yes?”

“Your sign says you’re a watchmaker, right?” She noticed his hourglass cutiemark and pointed to that as well. Time Turner glanced at his name plate and then back at Ditzy.

“That it does,” he replied. “I am a watchmaker, though nowadays I mostly fix watches and work on specialty commissions.”

“Do you think you could fix mine? It’s busted and I kind of need it for work,” Ditzy said, shaking it robustly next to her ear. She glided over to Time Turner and did the same next to his head, startling him suddenly. “See, I think it needs like a battery or something.” Time Turner grabbed her hoof and studied the object on her wrist.

“It’s an older model, that’s for sure,” he commented. Her placed the letter in the satchel over his back and removed the watch on Ditzy’s wrist. “Let’s see if I maybe have a spare battery.”

“Thank you! That would be great!” she shouted. Time Turner opened his door, allowing Ditzy to enter before him. She stepped inside the musty building and coughed a little, holding a hoof up to her muzzle. “Sorry, my bad.”

“No, it’s quite alright,” Time Turner replied, shutting the door. He trotted over to the window and opened it. “I’ve still got plenty of unpacking to do, not to mention I haven’t really cleaned out the place yet.” He placed Ditzy’s watch on the counter in the front of the shop and squeezed through a crevice created by two towers of boxes.

“I remember this used to be an old horseshoe shop,” Ditzy said, standing close to the window next to the door.

“Well, that probably explains the smell,” Time Turner chuckled, straining to remove a box from the top of a stack. He set the box on the floor and opened the following one, rummaging through its contents. Ditzy Doo stood quietly by the window, waiting for the stallion to find a battery. For a long while, there was nothing but the clatter and an occasional mumble from the occupied stallion.

“So, you said you just moved here,” Ditzy said then. “Where from?”

“Trotland,” Time Turner replied, pulling what appeared to be a small mint out from the box. He examined the object and began his return to the counter.

“Trotland? That’s really far away!”

“Yes, it is, isn’t it?” he replied, setting the watch battery down.

“It also explains the accent,” she added. He flipped Ditzy’s wristwatch over and muttered something under his breath. “Need my screwdriver,” he said, diving into the sea of boxes again.

“Well, why did you come to Ponyville? Didn’t like the cold?”

“No, no, I enjoyed the cooler temperature, actually,” he replied, returning to the counter. “I just needed a change of pace though.” He began unscrewing the back flap of the watch. Ditzy watched closely, making sure to memorize how to do it herself.

“I’ve lived in Ponyville my whole life,” she said then. “I was born in Cloudsdale, but I moved here because of all of the nice ponies, and because of my job.”

“I had heard that Ponyville was a rather friendly village,” Time Turner commented. “I haven’t met anypony officially yet, however.”

“Well, you met me!”

He looked up from his work and smiled at the wide streak of white that Ditzy held on her face.

“I suppose I have, haven’t I?” He installed the battery and began tinkering now with the gears within the device, making sure to check his own every so often. “Your watch is calibrated rather oddly,” he said.

“Yeah, it was stuck at 7:38 for a while,” she said, leaning on the counter now. She brought her face closer to the spectacle, nodding at the stallion’s adjustments. Time Turner perfectly set the dials and closed the flap. He set the watch down and leaned over to tighten the lid, but collided with Ditzy’s head the moment he bent over.

“Oh! Ow! I’m so sorry, Ditzy, are you okay?” he cried, grabbing his forehead.

“Y-yeah,” she winced, rubbing her head. “I got a thick skull.”

“I can tell,” Time Turner replied, rubbing his head as well now. “Just allow me to tighten this, and you can be on your way, okay, Ditzy?.”

“Kay, thanks,” she said, getting over the accident faster than the pony in front of her. Time Turner finished his little task and handed Ditzy her watch back. She strapped it onto her wrist and cheered happily at the moving arms. “Listen! It’s ticking, it’s ticking!”

“Yes,” the stallion chuckled. “That’s what it’s supposed to do.”

“Let me repay you,” Ditzy said, reaching into her pouch.

“Oh it’s fine, you really don’t have to,” Time Turner said, still rubbing his head. “The shop isn’t even officially open so—”

“No, it’s fine. This will help you!” Ditzy removed a bandage from her pouch and leaned over the counter, placing it on the stallion’s head. “You made me feel better, so I’ll do the same for you!”

“Well… that’s nice, Ditzy Doo. Thank you,” he replied. “The ponies here in Ponyville are nice after all.”

“Oh no, is it really 12:30?!” Ditzy rushed over to the door. “Thank you, Time Turner. It was nice meeting you!”

“The feeling was mutual, I assume you recall?” he replied with a smile of his own. “I guess I’ll be seeing more of you then?”

“Everyday you have mail!” she replied, exiting the shop. “Bye!”

“Good day,” Time Turner tried to say, but Ditzy was already gone before the words came out.