• Published 16th May 2014
  • 1,750 Views, 53 Comments

Savior of Eternity - Secrets and Lies



The final journey of the Immortal Man.

  • ...
4
 53
 1,750

2

(2)

Far north, a thrashing storm rumbled through the ranges of the Icicle Mountains. A behemoth of an atmospheric disturbance crashed over the jagged heights, giving way to torrents of thick snow and pelting ice. The warm sun had retreated behind the black veils that swept overhead, and along the narrow ridges swayed the faint flicker of bobbing lanterns. A company of equine scouts, garbed in heavy sets of birch-dyed cloth and thick iron braces, slogged through the deep slush towards their intended goal.

The wind whipped against them, trying to push the hardened soldiers off of the cliffside and into the shadowed ravine. They would not give up so easily and would not cease until they reached their destination, for these were the finest Royal Guards. Their mission was to spy on the enemy capital, which by the leading pony’s map was just above the towering peaks they hugged.

Rumors had surfaced that the Griffons were forming an army. Allied nations and northern outposts had seen large legions of foreign creatures enter through the hollowed routes towards Gryphus. Word had been sent to Canterlot, and Princess Celestia placed Princess Luna in charge of assembling the appropriate reconnaissance team to seek out the Griffon's intentions. To lead this squadron, Luna hoof-picked the son of the once famed Six Star General of Harmony, Gallant Steed. Gallant had performed many roles throughout the Royal Guard, as well as serve in many missions in and away from his home country. He was an excellent solider and superb leader; and though he is no General yet, some suggest that even he is far superior than his father in many ways.

The group of scouts rounded the corner of the cliffside and the leading pony pointed out a large plateau that stretched out from the mountain’s face. This was the secret terrace used many times by previous Equestrian scouts and they had a firm belief that the enemy knew nothing about its location. It was a perfect spot to build camp and begin spying into the enemy capital; for on the far end of the rising rock face was a steep drop which evened out into a crater-like bowl of sprawling mountains where the capital city rested.

In a few hours camp had been set up. Along with a number of large tents that were painfully staked down through the snow and into the mountain itself, multiple fires were started in large oven-like frameworks which kept the flames alive even during the blizzard around them. Night was approaching, but some of the pony scouts had ascended the side of the low-sloping mount and began peering over using spy glasses and telescopes. What they could see unsettled them, for indeed the reports were true. The city was buzzing with activity, filled to the brim with creatures of all sorts. Though the storm obscured many of the mountains’ peaks, the basin where the mountains crowded around the capital city was lightly affected by the encroaching blizzard, making it more visible from a bird’s eye view. A single earth pony guard carefully trekked down from the rocky perch and made his way into his leading captain’s tent. The silver coated stallion hastily walked in and informed the higher-ranked pony of his findings.

“Gallant, sir,” the earth pony properly greeted. The pegasus looked up from a few parchments he was reading over at a table in the tent’s far corner. Gallant had undressed himself of his armor and cream colored clothing, and his natural coat was revealed. He was pale black, akin to a storm front and almost in the same hue as his mother’s coat. His mane was buzzed, leaving behind only bits of blonde stubs. His tail was cut short, jagged and sharp. His wingspan was impressive for a pegasus stallion, much like his height as well. His frame was built like a work horse, and his jaw was strong and narrow. Gallant was nearly identical to his father in Valiant’s prime, and because of this Valiant favored him more than his other offspring.

Gallant approached the scout, responding in a firm voice, “Yes, officer Steadfast?”

“The reports sir, they’re true. The entire city is filled to the brim with armed soldiers and more keep pouring in by the hour.”

“Are they all griffons? That would be hard to believe they could amass an army of sufficient size, even from every griffon outpost.”

“From what we’re able to identify, there are more than just griffons accumulating in the city. We’ve spotted hounds, stone trolls, even equines sir.” Gallant’s eyes jerked towards the officer before him. He was visibly alarmed by this discovery and felt no need to hide his concern.

“Ponies? Were they bare flanked?”

Officer Steadfast hesitated, “We couldn’t tell, we could mostly just make out the shapes through this storm. Until the storm clears up we won’t have true identification on them.”

From the other side of the mountain boomed a roar that bellowed across the ranges. Its bass gently shook the foundation below the ponies as it echoed out beyond their range of hearing. The two ponies waited and listened more acutely to see if whatever made the noise would sound again.

“Dear Celestia,” murmured the officer, “what was that?”

“A beast of some kind,” Gallant remarked as cold as the weather outside. “Something foul and bent towards ill will.” He returned his gaze back towards the earth pony and promptly ordered, “Return to your post. See if you can’t find whatever made that noise.”

“Yes sir. Right away, sir.” Steadfast trotted out of the tent and without delay, joined the other scouts above the ridge. Gallant began to feel uneasy and nervous about this operation. He had been in worse situations before where the enemy had the advantage, but this was different. He couldn’t place a hoof on it, but whatever it was that was making him tense up and become skittish had surely shaken him to the bone. Then he remembered quite suddenly, he had an exact pinpoint on the cause of his mysterious fear. He remembered what his father had told him once, once when he was just a colt.

Valiant Steed had told him stories of the Icicle Mountains and the lands further beyond Equestria. He spoke of the beasts as old as the great mountains themselves that lurk in the dark corners of their world. That they were driven mad by their immortality, so they continued to harm, to grow, to be always hungry and always thirsty. No bountiful land could cease their appetites and no sea could quench their thirsts. Every step they made upheaved earth around them. Every breath of theirs is toxic and every claw can tear away the mightiest fortifications. It were these old fears that broke him down, that caused Gallant to fret. These mysterious stories that his father swore were true, and many knew of his father to be honest to his word. He eased closer towards the light of the fire, feeling the heat sooth his weary body.

Steadfast rejoined his group asking the other two scouts, “Did you hear that noise awhile ago?”

“Yes,” one answered in a somber tone, “I’m not quite sure what it was. I’ve never heard anything like it.”

“Whatever it was,” stated another scout, “I’m sure we could take it. We’re Royal Guards for Celestia’s sake, we’re trained to take on the vilest of vile. Besides, we have technology on our side.”

The officer unequipped his sidearm and spun it around in his hoof. He stopped and held it before him, his eyes taking in the contours of the firearm. It was a wide barreled pistol, coated in shined brass and refined iron. Its trigger guard encompassed the hoof while the gun’s shape was formed to hug the the lower half of the forearm. A revolver mechanism–which held eight separate chambers–wheeled around the front of the trigger, holding led bullets that would fire as fast as a pony could pull the trigger. It was an old technology first devised by the griffons, but adapted to suit the finger-less equines.

Steadfast expressed, “You mean unreliable magitech weaponry. Crossbows and swords are more dependable then those devices. There was a reason Equestria had banned magitech for so long and in some places still do. Even simple magitech items such as flashlights have a chance of spontaneously combusting, blowing your foreleg clean off. I’d rather just use gun powder like the griffons use, but nope, we had to stick with our underdeveloped and cheaper source of energy.”

“Suit yourself,” the stallion replied bitterly, placing his pistol back to the holster around his hoof. “I’ll be the one firing first before you all get the change to load your outdated weaponry.” He chuckled to himself as the others drew quiet, continuing their watch on the city below.

During the night, Gallant retrieved from his personal satchel a strange orb as dark as the night sky. The polished sphere glinted the faint flames of the fire close by, revealing the perplexing inner design that swirled slowly like an imprisoned hurricane. He held it in his hooves, looking deeply into the crystal ball. Gallant focused as the pattern across the orb swept along faster. A faint, amethyst glow began to seep through the clouded sphere, its tint washed over Gallant’s bleak face.

A whisper resounded through the orb as it flickered with hidden magic, “Gallant, how are things going?”

“We made it through Black Pebble Pass. We’ve arrived safely thanks to the Cartographer’s Pen you lent me, Princess Luna.”

“That’s good to hear. I’m surprised communications between our Oracle Orbs are coming in so smoothly.”

“Indeed. I called you to inform that our previous information has been confirmed. The Griffons are amassing an army of multiple creatures. From the looks of it, they’re forming a single alliance. We could have a very nasty war on our hooves if our assumptions are true.” There was a moment of silence between the two before Luna spoke up again.

“I knew this would come...”

“B-but I thought we were in good terms with the Griffons? Centuries of signed treaties that insured peace now means nothing to them?”

“Peace has meant nothing to them and we knew this, and I knew that the Griffons would eventually seek out revenge since we drove them out of Equestria almost a millennia ago. A close... friend of mine had traveled inside the enemy capital and saw the rising power.”

“If we knew this, then why didn’t we go on the offensive years ago?”

“This could not be avoided if we were to have struck first when they were still gathering their masses. If we would have done so, then their allies would have had the opportunity to attack us. We’ve held peace for many years, but now our luck has ran dry it seems....”

Below the terraces where the ponies spied from crept a gathering of what appeared to be moving rocks. Underneath the rocky disguises were griffon soldiers, armed heavily with close-range weapons and twisted swords sheathed to their hips. They silently climbed upward, approaching the ponies and under their sight. The enemy knew of their arrival, a flanking maneuver was in process from every side of the once secret terrace. From a far peak were the two leading officers in command of the griffon units. One was situated on his stomach, looking through the scope of a two meter long rifle, the other was peering through a pair of brass binoculars, clutching a small, rounded pistol in his hand.

They both were garbed much like the other hidden griffons, excluding the rocky back piece to their apparel. Their hind legs were fitted in loose and dark forest green clothing with flexible iron plates around their joints. Their chests were garbed in the same hued cloth, while underneath were heavy rings of chain mail that coated their arms. Black capes as dark as the shadow of a mountain whipped behind them and were linked around their necks. The leading captains atop the mount wore no helms, but the others were equipped in thick iron caps that also banded pieces of flexible iron sheets over their face as mouth guards. Thick rimmed goggles with silver lenses covered their eyes to protect them from the elements. This pliable armor not only protected the griffons during harsh weather and warfare, but gave them a fierce and menacing look to the much smaller equine.

The flock of griffons stopped their ascension a mere meter away from the oblivious ponies atop the ridge. They waited for the signal to attack by their leading commanders atop the far off mount. The rifle wielding griffon scanned the plateau, searching the encampment for their leading officer, but to no avail. He maneuvered his head away from the bronze scope and looked towards the other griffon next to him.

“I don’t see the leader. They’re usually wearing different armor or clothing, giving them a distinguishable appearance over the others. He must be in a tent.”

“Right...” The standing griffon removed the binoculars from his eyes and flicked his other wrist, detaching the pistol barrel from the trigger mechanism. He then took from a pouch on his side a single, red ball and loaded it into barrel, promptly flicking it back up and securing the barrel back to the small gun. He pointed the firearm towards the dreary sky, overlooking the soon-to-be battlefield one last time.

“It doesn’t matter,” he calmly averred, “He will show his face when the ambush commences.” His claw pressed down the release mechanism and a sudden blast flew forth from the muzzle. A single flare whizzed through above the mountains, lighting the snow and ice in a blood red tint. The equines were startled upon seeing it and their attention was taken towards the brilliant light.

Without warning, a few of the ponies who were near the edge were suddenly grabbed by the claws of the underlying griffon soldiers hanging on the cliffside. The stallions were jerked off the side and sent over the steep bluff into the gray realm below. The griffons at once took to the skies and began dive bombing their targets. Shots were fired on both sides as the equestrian war horn sounded. The blast filled the ridge and all the equines in the encampment were on high alert.

Gallant looked up from the Oracle Orb and stated, “That sound? The Canterlot horn!” He peered back into the sphere and quickly stated, “We’re in danger, I must go, my Princess!” He hastily flew over and placed the orb away. Rapidly he adorned his armor and grabbed his weapons, readying them for battle.

Snow and ice, mixed with the gun smoke and sparks filled the air around them. Pegasi met with the griffons in air over the encampment in close quarter combat. Earth ponies as well as other griffons raced behind cover and boulders, firing at any enemy they came across with bolts and bullets. The clash of iron and crash of shield echoed through over the terrace as each side madly fought for dominance. Earth stallions kicked, bit and rammed their way through the griffons, their strength was beyond the enemies when it came to sheer force and stamina. Unicorns shot beams of vibrant magic that seared the armor and flesh of the mythical creatures. Pegasi drifted and twisted through the air, pursuing and being pursued in aerial combat.

Gallant–now adorned in thick armor and equipped with multiple weaponry–galloped out of his tent to see what was happening. Chaotic and disorienting warfare filled the mountain and the pegasus leader raced for cover behind a few barrels of food. Officer Steadfast noticed Gallant taking cover and ran towards him.

The earth stallion slid behind cover and pleaded with Gallant, “Sir, you need to leave at once! This isn’t safe! If you leave now, you can make it out of the Icicle Mountains alive!”

“Dammit! Are you mad? I will not abandon my brothers!”

“But sir–” the two flinched for a moment when a nearby barrel of gunpowder exploded and sent a shock of energy over the snowy plateau. “–We vowed to risk our lives if ever a moment like this was to occur. Equestria needs you alive!”

In that moment, the Officer Steadfast convulsed for a moment as his eyes opened wide, giving a vacant expression. He fell forward without warning into the slush as Gallant was left dumbstruck as to what had happened to him.

The griffon atop the far off ridge blurted, “Son of a!” as he cranked the bolt handle back, expelling the shell and loading another. He adjusted his sight back on his intended target, the wind and heavy snowfall made it difficult to line up his sight with Gallant. The griffon steadied his hands and drew in a long breath.

Gallant soon noticed the bullet hole that tore through the iron coat Steadfast wore. Blood trickled down the contours of the armor and flowed through the snow below. Gallant looked up and noticed the lone peak far beyond, and using his judgment, he knew the bullet had to have come from atop that mountain. Blessed with his father keen eyesight, he noticed two figures atop the mount and quickly braced himself for another shot. A sharp sound sang through the air as Gallant withdrew his wings and shielded himself. The bullet forcefully ricocheted off of his iron plated wings, firing off into the distant mountains. The pegasus quickly took the skies and darted towards the distant mountain. The griffons atop the peak noticed this as the rifleman stood to his feet in alarm. He slapped the scope to its side and used the iron sights fixed atop the barrel for faster target alignment.

“I can’t get a good shot! The storm’s helping him conceal his approach.”

He other griffon had loaded a second flare and shot towards the area where the pegasus was advancing from. The red light flew forth into the air, Gallant’s location was soon discovered by the two. He barrel rolled through the air, taking an evasive maneuver as the sniper fired towards him. The shot whipped by as Gallant’s wings pushed harder toward the mount while also fighting to keep him steady in the blizzard. The sniper gritted his teeth and pressed forward a lever underneath the rifle. A spring loaded bayonet shot forth as the griffon pointed the firearm forward, ready for a close engagement. The other griffon withdrew a long and curved sword from his side, both were on the verge to strike the oncoming threat.

Gallant swooped down and curved his form around the thrusting rifle blade. His hoof came in contact with the sniper’s face as the other griffon rushed forward. Gallant vaulted off and over the sweeping sword arc and fell behind the two. Gallant threw out his hoof and aimed his crossbow repeater towards his enemy. Before the sword wielding griffon could turn to face his opponent, his back and side was struck with multiple bolts as Gallant cranked the crossbow side lever. As his ammo was depleted, the griffon fell lifelessly to the side as the other sprang forward, shoving the bayonet forward again.

Gallant spun away from the oncoming attack while withdrawing a small sword from his side, gripping it with one of his wings while the other acted as a shield. The griffon recuperated much quicker than his fallen ally as he swept the long rifle around, using it as a spear to battle his enemy. The two clashed against each other, dodging, swiping and thrusting their weapons. They spun around one another, protecting and parrying each other with metal wings and an iron rifle.

Finally Gallant aimed low and swung his blade towards one of the griffon’s legs. The pegasus stabbed through a crevice in the griffon’s armor plated kneecap as the lion-bird backed away injured. It fell to one knee as Gallant raced forward and swung his blade downward on the crippled foe. The griffon held out his rifle, deflecting the blade and jabbing the butt of the gun out, pushing away the sword. The force knocked back Gallant as the enemy twirled the rifle around and swiftly jabbed the bayonet upward.

The rifle blade impaled the pegasus as stood frozen atop the snow-covered peak. The griffon fired as Gallant was propelled off of the blade and towards the mountain’s edge. The stallion slid in the slush, wailing in agony and holding his hooves over his stomach where the blade and bullet entered. The griffon sat up and limped over to meet his enemy again. Gallant looked over next to him to see his fallen weapon and the griffon noticed his sneaking eyes. He stepped over and kicked the blade over the cliffside, then stamped Gallant’s head, raking his claws over the captain’s face. The griffon stopped torturing the pony as he noticed something entering the battlefield.

He pointed towards the camp, using his talons to affix the pony’s sigh towards the far off encampment. Gallant shuddered in horror upon the sight as his stallions were being overran by flocks of large rocs. They swooped down and slammed the ponies into the snow, using their sharp beaks to stab and bite them. The ponies had been overran by the enemy forces, Gallant couldn’t believe that all of this had happened in such a short time. The griffon noticed Gallant’s contorted face, expressing absolute dread and misery, and gave a toothy smile of satisfaction.

A single roc swooped down on the peak next to the griffon, its eyes glared down upon the dying pony. The griffon faltered over towards the large bird and spoke softly into its ear. The enormous bird of prey swooped up and took the pegasus into its talons. It then soared off and glided into the city of Gryphus as the remaining equine were killed off by the persistent griffon soldiers and rocs.

Down into the valley they sailed; the roc made its way towards the high castle in the center of the kingdom. Gallant was losing energy fast and in no way could his constant struggling free himself from the overpowering monster. As the bird made its way up the high keep, it stopped in the open air before long porch that protruded out of the angular fortress known as Kyanite Castle. Atop it stood a lone griffon, adorned in black and gold tipped feathers. His jade eyes were affixed on the bird’s prey as Gallant fought to keep his eyes open.

“You...” Gallant’s voice wavered weakly. “King Vallak... why have you done this? Why can there not be peace among our kind?”

Vallak slowly moved his sight towards the roc and the bird understood what the king implied with only his eyes. Its talons gripped Gallant as he let out a cry. The bones and his form bent under the strength of the beast and in a firm crunch his wing bones snapped. He wailed in suffering as he each fiber splintered and broke. The grip of the bird’s claws eased slightly, allowing Gallant to breath steadily once more. King Vallak gave a soft grin seeing the pony cling helplessly to his remaining life.

He spoke as soft and as cold as the snow, “Do you not think you could avoid my far sight? The age of equines is over. I shall turn the key and open the gates to a new age, an age much akin to old. Griffons shall rule again, and the ponies shall be stamped out of history itself.” He looked up towards the roc and spoke to it with commanding vigor, “Do away with this insect before me. Let the mountains swallow him.”

On those words, it took off and flew around in a wide circle back towards the castle. With gaining speed, it released Gallant as he was flung lifelessly forward. His body was dashed against the firm edges of Kyanite Castle. He tumbled against the rigged contours of the palace and rolled down the many steps that led to the front entrance of the castle. Upon the last of the five hundred steps, the pegasus stopped his descent–Gallant’s life was no more.

The roc swooped over and lifted the corpse in its claws, carrying it out of the city. As it ascended towards the wall of mountains, Vallak watched as the last Equestrian pony left his domain. Once over the ridges, the large bird released the dead pony as it fell through the veil of snow and ice, consumed by the storm. Gallant was bashed and beaten upon the cliffs until finally his body came to a halt along a lone rock that was jutted out of the mountain face. The snow began to quickly bury him, and he was soon to be swallowed by the mountain.

Vallak turned and made his way back towards the doorway back into his castle. In his grasp was the staff that gave him the power to rule over his and the other kinds that made their way into his kingdom. It was named the Afflicter, and it had chosen him as a vessel for both to pursue their equal schemes.

As they entered into the castle, the staff spoke through him speaking in ancient tongue, “The Ivory ones will find Gallant you realize?”

“Yes, I know. I want them to. They will send word back to their leaders. They will soon already know of the coming storm through the Oracle Orb.”

An hour had passed since Gallant had been left to rot on the cliffside. His dark hoof was all that remained out from under the snow; his whole was nearly devoured by the storm. From the gray of the blizzard appeared a phantom of a figure. A member of the Ivory Guard stood over the deceased captain. As another sweep of a heavy wind passed, the two were gone.