• Published 16th May 2014
  • 1,751 Views, 53 Comments

Savior of Eternity - Secrets and Lies



The final journey of the Immortal Man.

  • ...
4
 53
 1,751

1

(Part 1)

The wise man does not expose himself needlessly to danger, since there are few things for which he cares sufficiently; but he is willing, in great crises, to give even his life - knowing that under certain conditions it is not worthwhile to live.”

- Aristotle

(1)

“Pinkie... Pinkie...” the whispers echoed through the vacant caverns of blackness. “Don’t cry for me... Look up there... When you look up at the stars at night... I’ll be looking up at the same ones... You’ll never be alone...”

The pink pony calmly awoke. Her eyes met with the dark-pink bedroom ceiling above, speckled with green glow-in-the-dark stars and planets. She felt unmotivated, empty from the hole in her heart. Slumber had brought her no energy and she didn't want to leave her bed. She desired to sleep on, to continue to listen to the faint whispers of a past she so desired again. This wasn't her choice, she had to keep going. She had been for thirty-three years.

__________

Pinkie Pie skipped out of the front door of Sugarcube Corner and bounded down the steps onto the grass. Her fluff of curls bounced with each hoof fall as her tail swayed behind her. Pinkie had a body that seemed to never age, still visibly brimming with vigor, the same she had since she was a filly. Her eyes met with the cloudless sky above, the eastern sun shining low through the trees. The mountain wind swept through the valley and into her hometown. She closed her eyes and took in a heavy breath of fresh air. She smiled and waved to each neighbor she passed, singing a simple song as she went along,

“It’s a wonderful day in Ponyville

and it’s a wonderful day for Pinkie!

Smile’n faces and delightful ponies

are all it takes to feel me up with glee!

I can’t express with simple words

what fantastic feelings I have.

But what I can say

just brightens my day,

I’m feeling higher then the birds!

I love my friends, they’re like family to me!

I love this place, I’m loving all I see!

You can’t hold me back, cause I’m feeling free,

and without it all, I wouldn’t be Pinkie!”

The pink pony rounded the corner of a new convenience store and in the distance spotted the Ponyville Library, still standing strong after years of wear and tear. As she ambled along, humming still in tune to her previous song, she couldn't believe the amount of progress around her. Her small village in the valley had sprawled out much larger, yet still it kept to its simple, rustic and quaint ambiance. She entered the treehouse as if it were her own abode and was promptly greeted by her beloved friend.

“Good morning, Pinkie,” the studious, purple librarian mare warmly welcomed. Twilight Sparkle still took delicate care of her old home in Ponyville. Even though she was a princess with her own agenda and duties, she still came by on the weekends to work in the old tree. She couldn’t resist the simplicities and sentimental longing that the library brought her. The smells, the atmosphere, everything that stimulated her senses could be rediscovered here.

The alicorn pony herself was unlike Pinkie in the fact that she had aged more so than her friend. She now wore glasses, which linked together behind her slightly faded mane. A vibrant stripe in her mane and tail had grown dull over time and now was a pale violet hue. This faded streak in her hair was concealed from her friends by her own magic; she was very self conscious of her looks and for good reasons. Besides these physical features–and a few wrinkles below her eyes and jaw–she was still the same pony she once was.

“Hi-ya, Twi! Gotta get some more cooking books!”

The aged librarian chuckled, “Right!” She turned to levitate certain books off of their appropriate shelves while saying, “I forgot you were on that mission still.”

“And that mission is to memorize all the recipes in all the cooking books in Ponyville!”

“Well I hope you don’t forget your passion for partying in all this research you’re doing.” Twilight turned and before magically hovering the books over to Pinkie, she stopped and remembered something.

Twilight articulated, “Aren’t you forgetting something?” Pinkie blinked, searching her brain for a moment on what she had forgotten.

“Oh! Right! I forgot my saddlebags! Silly me!”

“No, Pinkie. You forgot the books you borrowed three weeks ago. They’re overdue!”

Ohhhh... right... Sorry about that. I must have forgot! I’ll be back lickety-split!” She raced out the door and returned to her gleeful stride as she continued singing,

“It’s so wonderful in Equestria

and it’s so wonderful to be alive!

Happiness and beauty all around me,

all of this and more is for what I strive!

It can’t get much better then this,

I know for a fact that it can’t!

Raise your head up high

and shout towards the sky,

take in all the amazing bliss!

I love my friends, they’re like family to me!

I love this place, I’m loving all I see!

You can’t hold me back, cause I’m feeling free,

and without it all, I wouldn’t be Pinkie!

She made her way to her room to grab her saddlebags and lent books. As she held the bag open and swiped her hoof across her dresser, sweeping the books into her bag, one fell off the edge and onto the floor.

“Shoot a monkey!”

She arched down low towards the side of her clothes drawer and noticed her book. The pony reached for it, but she halted her action as her eyes took notice of something odd that hid behind the back leg of the dresser. She instead reached her foreleg out beyond the cookbook and gently snagged the cloth object. Pinkie immediately recognized it as she pulled it out carefully; her joy was sapped dry upon its touch and sight. What she held in her hoof was a dusty blue mane ribbon. It was crinkled and almost forgotten; it had slipped behind her dresser long ago.

With her other hoof, she reached and grabbed the toppled book, placing it gently along with the others in her bag. Though she didn’t read them, she borrowed them to make it seem like she was motivating herself still. Pinkie was very depressed as of recently, her sadness grew with each passing year. She hid it well though, too well that even her friends knew nothing about it–excluding Rainbow Dash. The cyan pegasus, who once journeyed far to see her lover, could sense the misery Pinkie was fighting with. Though Rainbow was now busier than ever, living the dream as a Wonderbolt. She stayed in close touch still with her pink friend, often talking about Zack in private.

Pinkie sighed as she strapped the saddlebag closed and threw it atop her bedspread. She then sat on her bed and stared deeply at the strip of cloth that meant so much to her. She stroked it sweetly and lilted softly,

“But sometimes I forget

how all this came to be.

And sometimes I wonder

if he still thinks of me.

And I miss him dearly

and not a day goes by,

that inside it hurts me

that he doesn’t write to Pinkie Pie.”

With a strange burst of self confidence, she shot up from her bed.

“But I got to believe!

There has to be a reason!

I know he’s got to be somewhere!

I just can’t stop and grieve!

I must keep up till I’ve won!

I know for a fact he’s out there!

So as long as I live

and if there’s a beat in my heart,

I’ll keep on going strong

and as long as I do my part,

I know it won’t be long

until I have you in my arms!”

Her elated ambitions resided as quickly as they came as her eyes fell back onto the old mane bow. She flopped back down on the bed and sadly smiled.

“But... but please hurry please,

my heart can’t take another day.

Your sight would be an ease,

would you come quicker if I say:

That I love you still,

after all these years.

All that I now feel

are all these old fears.

I’d like to believe

that somewhere you’re still around.

But I can’t conceive,

that I’ll get up from this down.

Oh, please come back.

Return to me, my Zack.

So I can give you the best-est best friend hug a best friend could pack!

Oh Zack... I miss you... so... much...

Her head leaned on the door to the library, not wanting to enter but to flee back home and cry in her room. The ponies who trotted by didn’t seem to care that much seeing Pinkie resting her head on the door to Twilight’s old home. They thought that she was just being her silly self and she was glad they thought that. The pink pony stiffened up and forcibly contorted a smile on her face. She took a deep breath and entered the tree.

“Here they are, purple smart!”

Twilight turned from sorting books from a nearby dolly. She noticed Pinkie had brought her saddlebags and books, and replied, “Great! Just put them on my desk and take your new books I set out for you.”

Pinkie began to bounce over to the table. With a sudden ‘pop’ she felt something stab her hip as she stopped bouncing and rubbed the side of her aching flank.

“Ouchie!” The pony rubbed her pain-stricken hind-leg, trying to ease the discomfort.

Twilight took notice of her friend’s injury and questioned with concern, “Are you okay, Pinkie?” She walked over to try and help the pink pony, but Pinkie managed to limb over to the table.

“It’s okay,” she answered as she plopped down at the desk. “My legs have been acting all funny for awhile now, even funnier than I am! I wish they’d stop being so dumb!” Twilight sat down across from her and honestly spoke her mind.

“Pinkie, it’s normal that your legs are starting to hurt... We’re getting old, we can’t be the same lively young mares we once were.” Her words were a hard pill to swallow for the both of them. Even though Twilight knew and accepted this obvious fact, she hated saying it out loud. She hated it even more for telling her friend such a remark.

“I... I understand...” She looked up and added, “It’s starting to scare me. Like I use to know everypony’s name in Ponyville, but now I’m starting to forget them! I can’t remember them all or their birthdays! I’ll even forget that I had planned a party on a certain day for a certain pony and have to rush around to get everything together!”

“I’m becoming forgetful as well," Twilight added. "I now need to write better schedules for tasks that I use to remember without trying.” She reached over and placed a hoof on Pinkie’s shoulder, “This is just life... We can’t avoid this, but just know that you’re not the only one.”

Suddenly, something crashed into the room in a whizz of yellow and blue. Stray papers and books were blown about the wind that followed. Twilight groaned aloud and placed her hoof over her face.

“Rainbow Dash...” she turned towards a pile of books she knew the pegasus was under and dryly asked, “Can you knock for once?”

From the kitchen pattered in Spike the dragon to see what the commotion was. As he exited one room and entered into the main lobby, he banged his head on the door frame as he usually does. He entered carrying a bowl he had been mixing ingredients in, wearing a light-pink cooking apron. He had grown much taller over the years, yet was still very small for a dragon of his age.

Spike questioned aloud, “What’s going on, Twi?”

“Just Rainbow Dash–”

“–being Dashie!” smiled the ecstatic pony, who snapped into a much more happier–but fabricated–mood.

Rainbow popped her colorful head out of the mound of tomes. Her mane was noticeably less vibrant as it used to be. What once was an array of pure colors was now slightly washed out, though still resembling their original hues.

“Twilight,” Dash pleaded before her, “I need to know when the next–” She stopped when she realized Pinkie was here. She lightly smiled and circulated, “Hello Pinkie. What are you doing here?”

“Oh, just picking up some cookbooks... to read...”

Rainbow knew the truth behind those books and nodded, “That’s good...” The cyan pegasus jumped out of the pile and kept flight a meter above the treehouse floor. Her Wonderbolts’ uniform could clearly be seen now that her body wasn’t obstructed by books.

She returned to her previous question towards Twilight, “The new Daring Do comes out today! Do you have it? It’s supposed to be the last in the series!” She grabbed the sides of her friend’s face and shook it. “Please tell me you have it! Please!” Dash was enveloped by an aura of magic as her body was pushed away from the purple pony.

Twilight cleared her throat and hesitated, “Well you see... I forgot to order them on time.” She halfheartedly grinned and gave a light chuckle, watching the pegasus mare tense up with frustration.

“Twilight! How could you! I thought you were a diehard fan of A.K. Yearling?”

“I am! I just forgot, that’s all. I’ll send out an order form today and they should arrive... in eight to sixteen business days.” The pegasus landed on her haunches and sighed in defeat.

“I can’t believe you forgot. You could have sent that message using your unicorn magic, no sweat! Heck, I could have sent it!”

“Then you should have!” spat the alicorn princess.

“I would... if I knew how to work a tube.”

“Tubes are easy!”

Pinkie scratched her head, “What’s a tube?”

“You know,” Rainbow answered, “those things that were installed all over Ponyville a few years back? Those brass-looking pipes you stick message containers in and they shoot off towards the tube station where they go out all over Equestria?”

Twilight gave a relaxed simper, “Oh, the marvelous steam innovations of the earth ponies. The Transit Universal Bulletin Envoy.”

Spike shrugged, “But that doesn’t even make sense.”

“At least they tried. That’s all that counts.”

Pinkie shrieked with surprise, “I can’t believe I forgot that! Twilight! Make it stop!”

Spike ambled over and rested at the table, “Relax, Pink. I didn’t even know they were called tubes until today. I use to call them–” He abruptly stopped talking as he belched out a wisp of magical vapor. The emerald smoke condensed before him and from it appeared a scroll with Celestia’s royal seal stamped on it. The ponies were quite surprised, it had been a long while since anyone had received a letter from the Princess by this means of communication. Everyone in the room wondered what it could be about as they hushed themselves and watched Spike slide a long claw between the seal and parchment. He unraveled it and read aloud,

“My dearest Twilight,

I would like to schedule a meeting with you this afternoon between the hours of eleven and twelve. It is crucial that you appear in my presence between these times. My request is urgent, and if possible, practice your arrival via long range teleportation.

Sincerely,
Princess Celestia”

Rainbow looked over at Twilight and slowly questioned, “‘Long range teleportation’? I didn’t know that was a thing.”

Twilight blushed, “Well, it is. I’m still not the best at it.”

“I thought you had to know where you were going to teleport? How would you know where to go when you can’t see your destination?”

“That’s for teleportation at short ranges.” She began to explain her reasons thoroughly to the others, “Long range teleportation is entirely different. Starswirl was a master at it–for he invented it and named it Siphonic Relaying, or for short, Siphoning. You see, it’s possible to warp the properties of the magical currents that travel between the troposphere and stratosphere so that one could–”

“Twilight, it’s eleven-twenty,” coldly remarked Spike.

“Oh, well I guess I’ll be off.” She sat up from the table and made her way to the door, but before getting too far away, she turned towards Pinkie. “Hang in there, girl friend.” Pinkie softly smiled in response.

Spike, Pinkie and Rainbow Dash watched outside of the library as Twilight readied herself. She focused deeply on the invisible magic field above her, connecting her magic with the currents above known as Ley Energy. Once she had a firm link, all she had to do was visualize certain features of the area and go. In an instant, her body evaporated into a purple mist and was shot towards the sky in the blink of an eye. All who were watching were amazed to see her preform such advance magic as if it was nothing to her.

“Well, that was exciting,” the unimpressed dragon expressed aloud. He perked up upon smelling burnt food and cried out, “Oh gezz! My cake!” Rainbow laughed out loud as Spike raced back inside.

As she recovered from her fit of laughter, she asked Pinkie, “You want to go get some ice cream or something? I can tell you’re a little... you know...”

She smiled and answered, “No thanks, Dashie. I think I’m going to head home and–”

“Wallow in sadness?”

She nodded in affirmation, “Wallow in sadness...” Rainbow Dash took towards the skies, but before flying off, she turned back towards Pinkie.

“If you need a pony to wallow in sadness with you, you know who to call.” She winked and took off to meet another passing pegasus pony as Pinkie watched from the ground. The two pegasi halted before one another and hoof bumped.

Rainbow addressed her burnt orange coated friend, “How’s it going, Autumn Skies?”

“Pretty good actually.”

“How’s your dad?”

“Valiant’s doing okay. Celestia sent him a prototype clockwork wing straight from Manehattan. I hope that soon he’ll be able to fly again, that would be awesome!”

“Totally! But I thought magitech machinery were banned in this region of Equestria?”

“They are. But my dad says since he served Celestia for so long that he can get away with some magitech stuff. Oh hey, want to go push some clouds or something?”

“Heck ya! Let’s go!”

The two sped off beyond Pinkie’s sight, but she was glad she stuck around to hear about Valiant Steed. As she walked back home, she thought more on that stallion then on Zack. She doesn’t get to see Valiant or Gale often anymore; even when he retired, he was always running around with his kids. He had three foals; the oldest was Autumn Skies, who’s now part of the Ponyville Weather Patrol. The middle foal named Gallant Steed works as a Royal Guard scout, serving currently outside of Equestria. Out of the three, he is the most like his father in almost every way. The youngest–and to Pinkie the sweetest child of theirs–is Sunny Days. He was timid, shy and very caring; and he and Fluttershy had become good friends over the years.

Just a few steps away from Sugarcube Corner’s porch, a wagon cut across her path filled to the brim with apples. Big Macintosh was pulling the trailer that Applejack and the now the fully grown Applebloom sat upon. Applejack had let loose a little bit over the years, letting her blonde hair down and putting away the cowgirl hat that was eventually given to Applebloom. They were in a hurry and didn’t have time stop and chat, so they merrily waved at Pinkie as they passed.

The pink pony stepped into the sweet shop and noticed that surprisingly enough, Fluttershy, Rarity and Sunny Days were sitting at a booth on the far side of the bakery. She was grateful to see the bunch as she skipped over towards them, trying to push out the pain in her back leg. Fluttershy noticed her approach and waved towards the pink mare.

Both Fluttershy and Rarity seemed like two different mares than when she had first met them years ago. Fluttershy had gotten over most of her bashful ways, but was still timid to try new things and was withheld in conversations. Her hair was of a lighter hue and cut a few inches shorter then when she was younger. Her mane, which still flowed beautiful even when shorter, was braided in certain spots and had flowers pinned close to her bangs. Rarity was sporting a longer mane which fell under a lovely ivory sun hat, and the color of her hair matched the same shade of purple as it did years before. A few wrinkles were visible under her eyes and cheeks, but still she was as pretty as she was years ago.

Sunny Days sat between them, nervous as usual. His azure blue coat and coal black mane and tail was highly attractive to the young mares, yet his stunted social abilities held him back from achieving a mare of his own. He was a stallion in his twenties, yet his future was more mysterious to him now than ever before. He had no long term goals, though he wasn’t lazy. He was care free yet held back; determined yet cautious. Though his brother pushed him to join the Royal Guard, he declined the offer and instead took up gardening. In time, he received his cutie mark in the appearance of the sun shining behind a healthy tea plant.

“Hey girls!” Pinkie said while approaching. She placed her hooves on Sunny’s shoulders and said, “Hey Sunny Days.”

“Oh, h-hey Pinkie P-Pie.” She had known Sunny since he was a foal and would often babysit him on the weekdays. All his life he had a speech impediment, and even though he never could get over it, Pinkie liked it. She thought it was cute and was much like a drum roll to every sentence. It fit his personality just fine to her.

Fluttershy spoke sweetly, “We were just talking to Sunny about a girl he likes. He wants to ask her out, but he’s to shy. I don’t blame him, I can relate.”

Rarity chirped up, “It’s obvious he has the looks and charm, but we most certainly have to get this boy out of his shell.”

“I invited Rarity here so that we could all pitch him ideas, and because I don’t have the best relationship advice. I’ve never actually been in one...”

Sunny looked over towards Pinkie and asked, “Do y-you happen to have a-any ideas, P... P... Pinkie?”

“Not a clue! But hey! Wanna know what makes my head concoct brilliant ideas? Strawberry milkshakes!” She turned and yelled towards the stallion at the counter, “Hey Poundcake! One strawberry milkshake over here!”

He looked up and noted, “You got it, P–”

“Make that four! Four strawberry milkshakes!”

He scratched his head and replied, “Oh, okay! Four strawberry milk–”

“No, wait!” The pink pony listened closely to Fluttershy’s whispers. She then reordered, “I’ll take three strawberry milkshakes and one vanilla milkshake... with a cherry on top!”

“Alright... Is that it?”

“Yep!”

“Okay, Pinks.”

Pinkie had a delightful time with her friends and had forgotten about her worries all together. It wasn’t until the night however that her depression crawled back towards her as it always did. In the hours of her loneliness, she wept into her pillow, clenching the blue ribbon tightly in her hoof.

It would repeat; the same activities, the same day, the same ponies, over and over again. Equestria didn’t seem as magical as it once was to her years ago. The adventures and antics she would get into with not only Zack, but with her friends seemed to have slipped away down time’s stream. Too much peace seemed to have killed the magic of each new day. Ponies began to forget the madness there was years ago, they thought that events like those would never occur again. Pinkie thought that she would find some strange and malicious excitement if something were to happen in her country which was intoxicated with tranquility, however she wouldn’t wish it so.

It was a love-hate relationship she had grown into with her day-to-day life. Deep down, she loved peace and stability as much as a sane pony, but also she desired more. To break away from the norm, to get out again, to venture out into the world Zack was in. Above all, she wanted to visit Zachary. She truly yearned to see the great expanse of the ocean as she did at Rhignes Rock. She desired this so greatly that this is what she dreamed about the following night. Endless waters–crashing and churning, rolling and splashing. It reminded her of what she missed in life, and that was the mystery and excitement of the future.