• Published 18th Feb 2014
  • 13,271 Views, 615 Comments

Splashdown - Cyanblackstone



As Luna begins to learn about Earth and its various-- problems, Charlie Duke has much bigger problems. He's now the only qualified xenologist on Earth, and the Russians want him. And they're willing to go to great lengths to get him.

  • ...
63
 615
 13,271

Chapter 10: Agreed

Author's Note:

So, three things besides this brand-new chapter.
1) I've decided to offer my services as a proofreader, editor, beta reader, and critic to anypony who desires. Just PM me and we'll talk.
2) I've posted a new oneshot, Dreaming While You Sleep. Check it out!
3) As an incentive for 2), if that story gets over 500 views (or 100 faves, either/or), I will immediately skip my usual writing schedule/rotation and write another chapter here. E.G, I don't write in my 2 other fanfics and 2 original stories, and instead write this, which means you'll get more sooner. I'm a devious little writer.
Enjoy!

--Cyan

“What?” her host’s voice echoed through the door. “Does it have to do with our imminent demise?”
“Yes, it does,” Nightmare Moon said. “You’ve faced something like this before, haven’t you?”
“I have,” Luna replied. “And you don’t stand a chance.” She sounded smug.
“Then you will die with me,” Nightmare Moon sighed. “Are you really going to be that stupid? The only chance either of us has is to fight it together.”
Luna harrumphed. “At least I’d be free of you.”
“And then what would happen to your human friends?” Nightmare Moon examined a mental hoof nonchalantly, despite the fact she didn’t actually have a mental hoof and even if she did, Luna couldn’t have seen it. It was a matter of bearing, and bearing affected voice. Everypony knew that.
Luna’s scrunched muzzle could be heard (again, despite the fact that she didn’t actually breathe; the mental realm was a strange construct at times) as she drew in a heavy breath and let it out. “Fine. How are we going to work this?”
“It’s already attacking my mind,” Nightmare Moon said. “I can hold it off for a little longer; while it’s preoccupied, burn its vessel. Then it will have to break off or reveal itself.”
Luna stiffened. “Kill the human?”
“There’s nothing left of his mind, Luna. He died when our assaulter used him as a stepping stone to us.”
“How crude,” Luna said distastefully. “But again, I suppose he always did lack magical tact. I agree to your plan so far, but there’s only one problem.”
“And what’s that?” Nightmare Moon asked, one hoof poised to open the lock.
“What happens afterwards? There’s two of us in this body, and there’s only room for one.”
Nightmare Moon felt her spell beginning to unravel. “No time to fuss over the details!” she urged.
“Details? That’s more than a detail,” Luna protested.
“Again, we don’t have time for this, even if it was so important as you insist it is.” Nightmare Moon rebutted, throwing the door open. “The spell is ending! We can talk about this later.”
“Oh, and we will,” Luna promised darkly as she stepped forwards.
“I’m looking forwards to it, dear Luna,” Nightmare Moon laughed as the spell failed. “I find our “discussions” so much fun. But for now, go!”
And with that, Luna cast her first barrage of spells just as the second-last defenses shattered.
Several spells hit a shimmering golden barrier, absorbing into the field, but under the well-put-together attack, it shattered, allowing one, final hex through. The spell hit, reducing the man’s—puppet’s—head to a fine ash and removing his brain as a staging point. As a side-effect, his jacket burst into flame and began to burn hungrily.
The assault slackened, and then dropped off. “I see you’ve gotten your act together, Nightmare,” the attacker chuckled. “Well done. I’ll be seeing you later.
“I’m afraid you’re outmatched, though; this little fight was really just to get you to destroy the puppet—nothing but a skirmish, if you will. If you’re fast enough, you might get a little tidbit. Level the playing field, perhaps a titch. I do love games—but not fair ones!” He laughed crazily. “Have fun, dear little cousin!”
He left with one further statement: “Let the games begin.”
Nightmare Moon quickly slapped a blanket freezing spell onto the burning body, quenching the flames, but as she did so, the magical fields stretched, finally bent beyond their limits. The magical duel had completely drained the nearby fields, and their inflexibility caused some serious backlash.
For any other beings, the field would have been unusable long ago. Desperation and millennia of experience, along with decades of practice, allowed one to draw on a field far beyond the usual. But using magic with a field of that sort could cause some very serious problems, as it literally siphoned the field away and weakened it.
It had never happened before, on Equestria. The field had been drained, and occasionally even depleted for years at a time. Even Equestria’s greatest mages, however, had never seen such an event. In fact, they’d never even theorized it.
The magical fields broke.
There was an almost-noise like a rubber band snapping, but a hundred—a thousand—times louder, and everyone on board winced as it bypassed their ears and stabbed into their brains, scouring away what little magic was held within and leaving everyone with varying degrees of headaches.
However, it was much worse for Nightmare Moon and Luna, for they were at the center of the tear and their minds were infused throughout with magic. She only had enough time to see Luna get hit—the poor mare had been blindsided, unaware of Nightmare Moon’s spell— and realize what was coming before it was upon her.
With a flare of purple sparks, the magic tore at her—Luna’s—their—horn and the mind beyond as it retreated and took with itself every vestige of magic from every last inch of the USS Hornet. As armed naval personnel and Marines began to pour out onto the deck, leveling their guns at everyone and everything except the President, the alicorn fell to the ground, smoke curling from her horn and ears, eyes wide open and glassy.