• Published 23rd Mar 2012
  • 9,024 Views, 696 Comments

The Parliament of Dreams - Wheller



In a world where no one gets cutie marks anymore, what happens when a young unicorn gets one?

  • ...
42
 696
 9,024

Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Kelso slowly opened her eyes and took a look around. Her heart began to race as she initially didn't realise where she was. Then she remembered, she was in Viola's flat, and she was lying in Viola's bed. She glanced down at the floor to discover her black fedora and matching overcoat lying haphazardly on the floor. She sat up and took a look around the room, slowly discovering that she wasn't here alone. Viola was laying next to her, under the covers, propped up against her fore knee, and resting her head on her hoof.

'Hey there!' Viola said with a smile, and planted a small kiss on Kelso's shoulder. It took Kelso a few moments to process what had happened between the two of them, and then she began to turn bright red from embarrassment. 'What's wrong? One night stands not your thing?' Viola asked.

'Um... well, no, I wouldn't say they're normal for me...' Kelso said as she set her head back down on the pillow.

'Well, to be fair, they're not really for me either', Viola said with a smirk. 'I've had a few, but with my job, I don't really have much opportunity to get close to people', she said as she laid back down and got comfortable, stretching out her forelegs and gently rubbing Kelso's shoulder. 'Do you regret it?' she asked.

'I...' Kelso began. 'I... I don't know if it was a good idea...'

'Oh probably not, but that's not the point!' Viola said with a grin. She eventually pulled the covers out and hopped out of bed. 'I need to check on a few things', she said as she pulled her coat over her. 'You can go ahead and use my shower if you like, and there's food in the kitchen if you’re hungry. I'll be back in about an hour or so', Viola said. She winked at her and trotted out of the bedroom, Kelso heard the front door open and then shut again, now she was by herself, and she was able to think about what had just happened. She looked at the clock that was sitting on the bedside table. 0136, five hours since she and Viola...

Oh come on Kelso, she thought to herself. She was being ridiculous; she had just had sex with Viola Auditore. There wasn't anything inherently wrong with that. It certainly hadn't been Kelso's first time, nor would it be the last, though it did have the distinction of being her first time with another mare.

Not that Kelso was against that either. Gender didn't matter, Kelso supposed what did matter was the fact that Viola had used to be her boss, and maybe that was odd. Though, Viola had stopped being her boss three months ago. Kelso pulled the covers off of her and climbed out of bed. She trotted into the bathroom and discovered that Viola had a laundry machine. That had to have been nice, Kelso's own flat didn't have one, and her building didn't have laundry facilities either. It must be nice, not having to make a weekly trip down to a Laundromat, using machines that thirty other people had used before her. Kelso trotted back into the bedroom and pulled the sheets off the bed, figuring that she might as well. Viola would probably appreciate it. She balled the sheets up and dragged them into the bathroom and loaded them into the laundry machine, adding the soap and starting it up.

She glanced over to the shower, she had to admit, and one would be nice right about now. She trotted over and fiddled with the knobs until water began to stream out from the nozzle. Kelso stuck out a hoof and waited a moment for the water to warm up before stepping in.

The warm water running over her was very relaxing. Kelso had not realised how stressed she had been. What with what had happened at FutureTec, and Mister Happy, and that she might not have been able to complete her case. The water was relaxing, and she breathed deeply, letting the warm air fill her lungs, and then letting it out.

Determined not to use up all of the building's hot water, Kelso kept her shower brief, despite how nice it felt. She shut off the water and stepped out, grabbing a towel to dry herself off. She stepped over to the mirror and looked at her reflection. On the opposite wall, hanging from a hook, was one of the half circle large mane combs that were popular with earth ponies and pegasi. Kelso grabbed hold of it with her teeth and tilted her head to brush it through her mane, and then her tail. Eventually satisfied, she returned the comb to its place on the wall. She exited the bathroom and felt the chill of cold air against her damp coat, causing her to shudder. She picked her overcoat up off the floor, putting it back on and headed out into the lounge and/or kitchen. Viola had left an apple on the table, Kelso’s eyes fell upon it, it was a ripe Granny Smith, and it looked delicious. Kelso took a bite out of it, and oh it certainly was! Ponyville had always been known for their apples.

Kelso heard the front door open, and she looked up in surprise. ‘I thought you said you were going to be gone for about an hour?’ she called out.

There was no answer.

‘Viola?’ Kelso asked, as she trotted over to look at the door. ‘Viola? This isn’t funny, where...’

Kelso stopped dead in her tracks, the apple that she was eating fell to the floor. Standing in the open doorway was a pegasus mare, grey coat and a forest green mane. She was clad in an orange space suit and her eyes... her eyes had no life in them as they stared at her. Kelso realised that she had seen this pony before. This was the mare that Viola had nearly run over three months prior.

The mare opened her mouth and let out a high pitched, blood curdling scream that brought Kelso to her knees; she threw her hooves over her ears trying to block it out. Her vision began to blur as she struggled to keep focused on the mare.

The space suit wearing pegasus stepped forward, dragging her hooves as she walked towards her. Kelso struggled to get back up, but the mare let out another scream that knocked her back down. Kelso fell backwards, trying her hardest to keep her ears covered.

The mare stood over her and raised a hoof up to strike at her, but suddenly, she looked away, as if something was calling to her. The space suit wearing pegasus looked back at Kelso and let out another scream, before disappearing in a flash of light.

Kelso struggled to keep consciousness, she didn’t know what had happened, or why she was having such a hard time keeping her eyes open, but whatever it was... it was an uphill battle, and she was losing.

As Kelso’s head fell back upon the floor, her eyes could stay open no longer, she was out before she hit the ground.

...

‘Kelso?’

Kelso’s eyes opened, and she discovered Viola standing over her looking incredibly worried. ‘Viola?’ Kelso asked as she tried to sit up. Her head was throbbing and she let out a cry in pain as it felt as if someone had just jabbed a needle into her brain.

‘Come on now, easy does it!’ Viola said simply as she helped Kelso get to her hooves. She walked her over to the sofa and the sat her down on it. ‘Wait right there’, Viola added as she trotted back into the kitchen, and returned a few seconds later with ice. She gently pressed the ice pack against Kelso’s head, allowing her fellow mare to take it in her own hooves.

‘Thanks’, Kelso said with a small smile, followed by a grunt of pain. It hurt to smile.

‘Are you all right? What happened?’ Viola asked.

‘I... I don’t know... I don’t remember’, Kelso said, struggling to think about the events. ‘I was in the kitchen... I heard the door open, I walked over to it... and then nothing’. Kelso added with a frown. ‘There aren’t any of Kirsk Zazz’s thugs still running around are there?’

Viola shook her head. ‘All of them are either dead or in prison at this point’, she said with a shrug. ‘And it doesn’t look like whoever it was broke in, the door was unlocked when I got back’.

‘FutureTec? You think maybe they know about what we’re doing?’ Kelso asked.

‘Possible, I wouldn’t be surprised if they spied on us, all four and a half million of us!’ Viola said with a frown. ‘Regardless of who did it, you were attacked, there can be no quarter given when someone hurts one of my detectives!’ she said, smacking her foreleg against her hoof in anger.

‘Viola... I’m not one of your detectives...’ Kelso said with a frown.

‘Maybe not right now...’ Viola said as she began to dig through one of the pockets of her coat, she pulled out a small booklet at opened it up before her. ‘But if we’re going to take down FutureTec, you’re going to need some real authority’, Viola said, and passed it over to Kelso.

Kelso opened it up and discovered that it was her old PPS identification badge; she couldn’t believe what she was seeing. She looked up at Viola in shock.

‘Your job in the Serious and Organised Crime Group is yours again... if you want it’, Viola said. ‘Kelso, you were a damn fine detective and an honest copper as there ever could be. You showed me the light, and with you back, we can make the SOCG honest again, what do you say?’

Kelso looked down at the badge, and then back up at Viola and offered her a smile. ‘After today? I’d be stupid to say no, I accept... Guv’, Kelso said with a wink.

Viola offered her a smile in return. ‘Welcome back to the Ponyville Police Service... Detective Sergeant Kelso’.