• Published 22nd Jun 2014
  • 2,868 Views, 34 Comments

A Little Piece of Heaven - SolidFire



A chance encounter between Rainbow Dash and Spitfire blossoms into what none would ever expect.

  • ...
8
 34
 2,868

We Don't Need Them

We Don't Need Them

Rainbow woke with a pounding headache. Light stabbed her eyes like burning lances. She tried to move, but quickly noticed any effort to do so would be futile because of the mare that lay on top of her. She groaned and pressed herself into the floor of her home.

"Not so loud, Rainbow," Spitfire whispered. To Rainbow, it felt like a scream.

"Speak for yourself," she grunted. Spitfire pressed her hooves over her ears.

"Rainbow, I was whispering."

"It sure didn't sound like it. Come on, get off of me so we can get some hangover food."

"Uggh. I don't think I'm ever going to drink again. Ever," muttered Spitfire.

"You say that now. In a week you'll be just like me. At the local bar."

"Is that a challenge?" Spitfire asked, not as enthusiastic as normal about accepting it, but still enjoying the prospect.

"Yes. I challenge you to sobriety," Rainbow said with a hoof on her head.

"For it to be a challenge, we both have to be involved."

"Fine. First one to drink loses." Rainbow spat into her hoof and cringed at the noise she had just made. Spitfire repeated the actions. The two pressed their hooves together incredibly slowly. It was going to be a long day.


Around four hours later the couple had finally gotten it together enough to head into town. It wasn't the most pleasant trip into town, but they still wanted to enjoy the day while they had it, before they had to make a trip to Cloudsdale to open up to their parents about their relationship. Spitfire seemed incredibly nervous about that, but she didn't say much. Rainbow figured she was just uncomfortable with the idea and thus ignored it. They quickly spotted three young fillies bouncing around town square. Never one to miss a chance to have her ego stroked, Rainbow flew right towards the orange one in the center. Spitfire sighed and followed suit. She'd have to pull Rainbow away from Scootaloo at some point.

"Hey there Squirt!" Rainbow called out. Scootaloo's ears perked up. Sweetie Belle and Applebloom sighed.

"Hey Rainbow Dash!" Scootaloo responded, obviously ecstatic to see her idol.

"Howdy Rainbow Dash," Applebloom said, albeit less enthusiastic. Sweetie Belle opted to nod politely.

"How's it hanging, Cutie Mark Crusaders?" Rainbow asked with an ear-to-ear grin.

"It's awesome, Rainbow Dash!" Scootaloo pushed her way past Applebloom so she was the one in front of Rainbow. Rainbow laughed.

"You guys get your Cutie Marks yet?"

"Not yet, but we're close!" Sweetie Belle chimed in.

"Yep! Any day now the three o' us will be runnin' 'round with flank decorations! At least that's what Big Macintosh says."

"All he ever says to us is 'eeyup' or 'eenope'," Scootaloo grunted. She then turned back to Rainbow. "You gonna do some awesome tricks?! Can you do a Sonic Rainboom?!"

"I think I could give you a little show." Rainbow said with a smirk. Spitfire put a hoof around Rainbow's neck.

"I think somepony needs to step away from her ego stroking so we have time to get to Cloudsdale before sundown. Remember Rainbow, we have plans today."

"Oh yeah. Sorry Squirt, I'll have to save the show for a later date."

"I'm sorry, but I must ask you what in the hay you think you're doing with my daughter?" A stallion with a deep green coat stepped between Rainbow and Scootaloo. He was calm and collected, but something about him made Rainbow uncomfortable. The ‘I'd really like to punch you and I'm not sure why’ kind of uncomfortable. Rainbow took a step back.

Best to at least find a reason to hate him before deciding to do so, she thought to herself.

"Chill guy, I was just talking to her. I've gotten to know Scootaloo pretty well since she started hanging out with my friends’ little sisters."

"Scootaloo, I don't want you anywhere near these fillyfoolers, you understand?" asked the green stallion.

He's ignoring me while insulting my lifestyle choice to his daughter. Do I need another reason? Rainbow's displeasure was evident in her expression. Scootaloo lowered her head.

"Yes, Dad."

Rainbow was about to let her temper explode before she felt a hoof on her shoulder.

"Rainbow, he's not worth your time. Like you always say, haters gonna hate."

"Yeah, but-"

"Rainbow, let it go."

"But he's a total dick!" pressed Rainbow.

"Excuse me?!" Scootaloo's father did NOT like what he was hearing.

"How about you mind your own bucking business for once!" Rainbow snapped back.

"I will NOT allow you to talk back to me like that!"

"Oh yeah? What are you going to do about it?"

Before Rainbow could create any more of a problem out of the situation, Spitfire flew into the air and picked her up. She struggled to hold on as Rainbow attempted to free herself and attack the stallion below her.

"Let me at him! I can take care of that jerk!"

"Rainbow, please. We don't need any more trouble. Just let him be."

"But-"

"Please." Spitfire's soothing voice calmed Rainbow. Well, enough to prevent her from attacking the hateful stallion below.

"Fine."

Spitfire released her grip from Rainbow.

"Come on, let's get to Cloudsdale and get our chores over with."


Rainbow and Spitfire landed just down the street from the home of Spitfire's parents. Spitfire put a hoof on Rainbow's shoulder.

"Rainbow, before we go in there, I want you to know that this could get very ugly, very quickly."

Rainbow cocked a quizzical eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"My parents are incredibly old fashioned. My dad runs a family business and my mom has barely left the house to do anything other than go grocery shopping since they married," explained Spitfire.

"Alright, and your point is?"

"They hate homosexuality. With a passion. Hay, they hated my decision to join the Wonderbolts. Especially my father. He wanted to hook me up with this awful stallion so I would ‘have the life I belong in.’ What a crock of shit. I'm ready for whatever they say in there. I know it's going to be painful. I know they're going to be rough, and they'll more than likely disown me completely. I want you to just hold your tongue and let it happen."

"No. I'm not just going to sit there and let them hurt you. They can say whatever they want about homosexuality, but they will not-"

"Rainbow, do this for me. It will be a lot easier this way. Please Rainbow, don't step up to defend me, just this one time," pleaded Spitfire.

Rainbow was now faced with a dilemma. She could do what came naturally to a loyal mare like herself and stand up for her marefriend in the event of a verbal assault from her parents, or she could do what her marefriend wanted her to do and be loyal by holding her tongue. Holding of the tongue most definitely didn't come naturally to Rainbow Dash. Rainbow took a deep breath and exhaled. She knew what she had to do.

"Alright, I'll keep my mouth shut. Can I talk back if they say anything to me?" asked Rainbow.

"No. You know as well as I do that once you start, you won't be able to stop."

"Fine."


Spitfire took a deep breath before knocking at the door to her parents’ house. She could do this; she had to do this. An older looking mare answered and Rainbow did a double take. She was the spitting image of Spitfire.

Hehe... *Spit*ting image of *Spit*fire. I need to write that down. Rainbow managed to contain her chuckle.

"Spitfire? Honey, what are you doing here? Please, come inside! And who's your friend?"

Spitfire was about to break the news when Rainbow interrupted.

"Name's Rainbow Dash." As she introduced herself, she planted a hoof on her chest and took a triumphant pose, eliciting a giggle out of Spitfire's mother.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Rainbow Dash. Oh my, where are my manners? Please, stay for dinner! Your father is going to be so happy when he gets home!"

A loud ping sounded from the kitchen.

"Oh my! That must be the eggplant! Please, make yourselves at home while I go finish dinner! Spitfire, it's so great to see you again, we have so much catching up to do!" With that, Spitfire's mother scurried off to the kitchen.

"Rainbow, what was that? I was going to make this short and painful, not long and painful!" Spitfire hissed.

"You know as well as I do that you would regret it if you didn't get one last happy moment with your family. Even if they're going to ruin it for you about halfway through," Rainbow responded. Spitfire's ears drooped.

"I... you're right. I'm sorry Rainbow. I shouldn't have snapped at you."

Rainbow kissed Spitfire on the cheek.

"It's cool. You're nervous, I get that. Whatever happens, I'm here for you."

Spitfire smiled. "I know you are, Rainbow."


"So, what's it like being the captain of a town's weather team, Rainbow Dash?" Spitfire's mother asked.

Rainbow Dash gave a cocky grin. She put her forehooves behind her head and leaned back.

"It's a pretty demanding job, but somepony's gotta do it. Might as well be the best flyer in Equestria."

"You mean most confident," Spitfire joked, although the look on her face told Rainbow to knock off the arrogance. Rainbow didn't notice.

"Yeah, that too. When you're as good as me, it's hard NOT to be confident."

Spitfire and her mother facehoofed simultaneously. Before Spitfire could punch Rainbow, they heard the door open. A large pegasus stallion with a scarlet coat and black mane and tail walked in with a smile on his face.

"Good evening honey, how-" His eyes fell on the two younger mares that resided on the couch. His eyes went wide.

"Spitfire? Is that you?"

Spitfire gave him a weak smile.

"Yeah Dad, it's me." She got up and hugged her father. "It's good to see you again."

Spitfire's father pulled away and took notice of Rainbow Dash.

"Who's your friend?"

Spitfire glanced at Rainbow. Rainbow grinned.

"Name's Rainbow Dash!" she said while jumping to her hooves.

"Wait, the mare who performed the Sonic Rainboom at the Best Young Fliers competition?!" Spitfire's father was incredibly excited.

"And saved Spitty and two of the other Wonderbolts in the process!" Rainbow gloated. Spitfire's father frowned.

"And that awful Unicorn... Why did you save her?" he asked, mood darkening.

Rainbow seethed with anger. Nopony disrespected her friends like that. Spitfire tried to stop her, but it was too late.

"Watch it buddy, that 'Awful Unicorn' is my friend! She-" Before Rainbow could continue, she felt a hoof on her shoulder. She turned to see Spitfire with a pleading look. Rainbow's ears drooped.

"I'm sorumandifbgogkkmmmmm," Rainbow grumbled. Spitfire's parents gave Rainbow a look that could only be described as saying ‘the buck are you on?’ Spitfire sighed.

"That's her way of saying she's sorry."

"It's... interesting..." Spitfire's mother said.

"Yeah... she really is..." Spitfire didn't notice her slip until Rainbow gave her a light kick to snap her back to reality. It was too late. Her parents had noticed the way she had looked at Rainbow while saying those words. And her tone of voice. It was her mother who spoke up first.

"Spitfire? Honey, how do you know Rainbow Dash?" she asked.

Rainbow and Spitfire exchanged a knowing glance. It was now or never. Rainbow wrapped a wing around Spitfire's back and Spitfire sighed softly.

"Mom. Dad." She took a deep breath. "Rainbow is my marefriend. We've been together for a few months now. I wanted you guys to meet her."

Spitfire's parents were mortified. They didn't know what to think. Their daughter, their one and only daughter... was a fillyfooler. A disgrace to the family.

"Get out," her father said. His tone of voice seemed cold enough to freeze the air around him.

"Dad, please. We're-"

"I didn't ask for your input, I told you to leave. Now go."


Spitfire fell back on her haunches on the street, tears streaming down her face and pattering softly onto the road. Rainbow sat next to her.

"Why didn't they scream, Rainbow? Why couldn't they have insulted me? I could have handled that, I was ready for that. But just kicking me out?" She stamped her hoof on the clouds she sat on. "Why were they so bucking cold?!" Tears continued to flow from her eyes as she began to scream. "I could have been pissed if they were jerks! Why didn't they do anything but kick me out?!"

Rainbow wrapped a wing around Spitfire and pulled her in. She wasn't good at comforting ponies who needed it, but it killed her to see her love in so much pain.

"Spitfire, they WERE jerks. They just kicked their daughter out of their house for no other reason than her sexual preference. They're two of the biggest jerks I've ever met. I would have kicked him in the face if you would have let me."

Spitfire leaned into Rainbow. She smiled as she felt Rainbow's lips press against the top of her head.

"Right now I kinda wish I did let you," Spitfire grumbled.

"Can I? Because I can still find their house again. I would love to beat them both into the clouds if I can."

Spitfire chuckled.

"As much as I love your desire to defend my honor, I'd rather not have you get arrested."

"Damn," Rainbow pouted.

Spitfire chuckled again before pressing further into Rainbow.

"My parents hate me." She felt tears coming again, but fought them back. "What do I do now? Who do I go to when I need somepony? Who can I count on to always be there for me? Who-" Spitfire was cut short by a pair of warm lips pressing against hers. She melted into the kiss. Rainbow always knew how to calm her down. Which was odd, given how irritating Rainbow could be. When they finally parted the kiss, the couple gazed deep into each other's eyes.

"I'll always be there for you, Spitfire. You can always count on me. You don't have to know what to do without your parents, because you don't need them. We don't need them. We have each other, and that's all we need."

Spitfire was touched beyond what she thought was possible. She pressed her lips against Rainbow's and felt passion beyond anything she had ever known. Immediately after pulling away, she rested her head against Rainbow's chest.

"Rainbow, no amount of apologizing could ever tell you how sorry I am for what I just said. I love you, Rainbow Dash. I just hope you can forgive me for not seeing what's right in front of me." To Spitfire's surprise, Rainbow simply laughed.

"Spitfire, of course I can forgive you. I love you too, more than I could ever tell you. And to think we've only been together for such a short time."

"Yeah... it really is amazing." Spitfire's heart was pounding in her chest. She loved the mare in front of her with everything she had. She was going to make this relationship last. She was going to-

"So, Spitfire. Want to skip visiting my parents tonight and go straight to the sex?" Rainbow asked, waggling her eyebrows.

-smack that idiotic mare so hard she would be in a coma for a month.

Author's Note:

Holy heck, I'm sorry I haven't updated this in forever. I've been beyond busy with preparations for the University of Minnesota and work.

Disclaimer once again. I don't take any credit for this story, for it is an approved re-post by the original author and the site's staff. Also, this entire story had to be re-formatted, so if you find any errors, please point them out to me.