• Published 22nd Jun 2014
  • 2,870 Views, 34 Comments

A Little Piece of Heaven - SolidFire



A chance encounter between Rainbow Dash and Spitfire blossoms into what none would ever expect.

  • ...
8
 34
 2,870

This Could Work

This Could Work...

"Rainbow? Rainbow, wake up." Applejack was pleased to see her friend, albeit a might confused. What was she doing sleeping under an apple tree?

"Huh, what? No, I didn't touch the monkey's banana, just because I was hungry doesn't- Oh, that was a dream wasn't it?" Rainbow shook herself to get rid of the early morning confusion. Applejack facehoofed.

"Why are ya sleepin' under mah apple tree?" Applejack inquired, to which Rainbow blushed.

"I... uhh... kinda... had wingboners... last night... and-" Rainbow stammered before she was interrupted.

"And ya couldn't flap yer wings ta fly home," Applejack laughed. "What had yer wings that solid?"

Rainbow's blush intensified at her friend's inquiry.

"I think I have a marefriend now," Rainbow mumbled. Applejack stepped back. She had joked about it before, but she never once actually expected her friend to be a fillyfooler. Not that she actually cared, but it was news all the same.

"Well, congratulations Rainbow! What's her name?"

Rainbow, by some power unknown to her, managed to blush even more.

"Spitfire..."

Applejack held back a chuckle.

"The Wonderbolt? Ya sure this ain't one o' yer weird dreams again?"

Rainbow shot a glare at her friend before realizing what she said had sounded a little absurd.

"No, I'm serious. I was trying a new trick last night. I asked Pinkie to help me, so obviously it didn't go as planned."

Applejack winced.

"Ya alright sugarcube?"

"Yeah I'm fine. However, I'll have to remember not to listen to Pinkie when she suggests using her party cannon to launch me." Applejack facehoofed once again.

"Ya never were the brightest pony, Rainbow."

Rainbow chuckled.

"It worked out I guess. I ended up crashing right into Spitfire's house. We went out flying, and when we were done with our races—which I won—she kissed me. I'm going to see her tonight as well."

Applejack wasn't sure what to think. She could tell when somepony was telling the truth. Right now... Rainbow was telling the truth.

"Well golly Rainbow Dash, best a luck ta ya! While yer here, wanna help out a little? Ah have a lot of chores ta do today before the storm, and-"

"Umm, AJ? Not that I wouldn't want to help, but I'm on the weather team. I have to make that storm."

Applejack chuckled.

"Ah guess Ah forgot about that. Well, Ah'll let ya get goin' then. Ah'm sure ya got a lot of work on yer hooves today."

"Umm, AJ?"

"Yeah Rainbow?"

"Think you could keep kinda quiet about me and Spitfire? For now at least? I'm not sure how it'll work out and-"

"Rainbow, ya know Ah can't keep a secret. Nopony's gonna think any different of ya and-"

"Not for me, for Spitfire. I know about how the public views homosexuality. If it gets out, even in Ponyville, that Spitfire's fooling around with a mare, a lot of problems could come for her."

Applejack would have been surprised by Rainbow's gesture if it weren't for her crazy loyalty towards ponies she cared about.

"Ah'll do mah best Rainbow."

"Thanks AJ."

"Yer welcome Rainbow. Now don't ya have a job ta get to? It's a quarter to nine."

Rainbow swallowed hard. The weather team started in fifteen minutes.

"Well buck! Alright, gotta go. Thanks again AJ!" Rainbow sped off before Applejack could return the courtesy. The farmpony laughed. It didn’t really surprise her that Rainbow was a fillyfooler. She didn't really expect it, but it made sense. Not that it mattered to her. It wouldn't make a difference in her friendship with Rainbow Dash. That's all that she cared about.


Spitfire paced around the living room of her home. She finally had what she wanted within her reach, but at what cost? She could lose her job, her public image would be destroyed, some of her friends and family would likely break contact with her. Was it worth it? Was Rainbow Dash worth it? The night before she was ecstatic, and up until an hour before

they were supposed to meet she couldn't wait to be with Rainbow again. She stopped her pacing. Only one piece of an undeniable truth stayed in her mind. She would never know if she didn't try. That was it then. She was going to pursue Rainbow Dash. She could hide it from her teammates, for a while at least. She knew she could tell Soarin', and she planned to do exactly that. He was her oldest friend. They had grown up together in Cloudsdale, and they felt like siblings. She knew she could tell him anything and he wouldn't judge her for it. It was then that her doorbell rang. She had been waiting for that sound for the last hour.

"Door's open Rainbow." Rainbow Dash pushed open the door and stepped inside. Spitfire greeted her with a smile, which Rainbow happily returned.

Five awkward, silent minutes dragged by. Neither mare had much experience in dating over the last few years, especially not with another mare. Was there really a chance that they had something, or was it just some weird, once in a lifetime turn-on that led Spitfire to

mouthrape Rainbow the night before? Spitfire decided right then that they needed to have a conversation before they progressed.

"Rainbow, we need to talk about what happened last night," she began. Rainbow's heart sunk when Spitfire said that. Did Spitfire act without actually thinking? Did Spitfire really want to kiss her the night before, or was it just some impulsive accident?

"Uhh, of c-course. It happened kinda suddenly. I mean, if you don't really-"

"I want to date you, Rainbow. When I kissed you yesterday it was because I've been waiting to do that for months," Spitfire admitted.

Hearing that almost made Rainbow fall off the couch she was sitting on. Months? Her hero had wanted her for months? Rainbow wanted to see where this was going. "I've wanted to do the same for a while as well. And I want to be with you as well. It just happened so suddenly. I wasn't sure how to react."

Spitfire smiled at Rainbow's response and took a seat next to her.

"Then let's do it right tonight. We can make some dinner, watch a movie, and see where things go from there."

Rainbow liked that idea. Except for one thing.

"I can't cook to save my soul," she said sheepishly. Spitfire laughed.

"Well, in that case I'll teach you tonight." Spitfire took Rainbow's hoof and lead her to her kitchen. This night might actually work out after all, she thought.


Spitfire was indeed an amazing cook. Rainbow was hard pressed to think of a time where she had enjoyed a meal more thoroughly. Spitfire was happy to talk about flying over dinner. The two had gotten into a very long discussion about the lifelong passion that had consumed each of them. Eventually, Spitfire shifted the discussion to Rainbow's position as Ponyville's weather captain.

"It's a job that is either very appreciated or very disliked by the townsponies," Rainbow explained.

"Why wouldn't the townsponies appreciate what you do? You bring the weather to the town! You clear the clouds so the sun can shine on the town! Why would anypony dislike that?" Spitfire asked incredulously.

It was Rainbow's turn to laugh at Spitfire's remark.

"Have you ever complained about a rainy day?" Rainbow asked. Spitfire nodded, then understood her point.

"I rest my case." Neither of the mares had anything left to say about the subject, so they decided that was as good a time as any to clean up and throw on a movie. As the two watched the screen, Rainbow wrapped a wing around Spitfire's back. Comforted by the warm embrace, Spitfire rested her head against Rainbow's shoulder. It was in that moment that the mare's hearts began to melt for each other.

After the in-home date, Spitfire walked Rainbow to the door.

"We are definitely going to need to do that again sometime," Spitfire said.

"And maybe next time you won't fall asleep on me." Rainbow and Spitfire laughed.

"Sorry about that. It happens when I get lost in a moment with somepony."

Rainbow tried to hide how much it meant to her to hear that from somepony, but the blush on her face betrayed her emotions entirely. She tried to find words, but couldn't.

"So, wanna get together again Friday?" asked Rainbow.

"Sounds good to me."

"Alright. Goodnight Spitfire."

"Goodnight Rainbow. See you Friday."

Rainbow stood in the doorway for a moment longer. That moment was all Spitfire needed. She leaned in and kissed Rainbow. Soft, but passionate.

"There. That seemed a little better." Spitfire and Rainbow laughed. Rainbow turned and flew away. During the entire flight home, only one thought consumed her mind.

Next Friday won't come soon enough.

Author's Note:

Disclaimer again, I don't take credit for this story, as it is an approved repost from the original author, coupled with the permission of the site's staff.