• Published 17th Feb 2014
  • 35,136 Views, 1,840 Comments

Headless, not Heartless - Thadius0



Most people wouldn't think dressing up as an optional boss would land them in Equestria. Most people would be right. Most people aren't me. Most people still have their bloody head!

  • ...
110
 1,840
 35,136

Chapter 8 - Headaches are a part of any new community

Do you have any idea how hard it is to house a horde of ponies, even a small one?

Do you?

It's damn hard.

I escorted the herd towards the Everfree ruins and told them they'd be safe there, but I literally could not join them. Because I would snap the rope bridge like a twig.

I told the djinn to look after the ponies, especially in the 'getting fresh food every day and clean water' department.

Of course, the djinn brought the seeds from whatever foods the ponies ate to me.

My goal was different.

While the ruins would be good for a temporary measure, we would need something a bit more modern. Something where foals could grow up, where families could settle down.

Something where I didn't have to make a damn bridge and hope and pray it didn't collapse before I walked over it to access my charges.

So for a little while - I want to say at least four days - I was working near the base of a mountain on making housing for the ponies.

Helps when you don't need to sleep and only require a bit of rest after using psynergies in methods they were not intended to be used for.

Finally, after that long, I'd gotten quite a bit of housing done. Enough that the ponies wouldn't have to worry about sleeping in the ruins anymore.

Ten houses would be able to hold them all until we got the rest up, right?

I'd even cleared a field in preparation for a farm, and stored the seeds in a sack nearby!

And there was still so much more to do.

I sighed as I looked around, and motioned a Jupiter djinn close. Tell them that the basics of this town are done, and I would like them to come here.

The djinn nodded and took off towards the ruins.

-----

I should have learned by now that nothing ever goes my way.

The ponies fell to bickering and arguing as soon as they saw what I'd managed to get done and saw that it was not enough.

Apparently, I'd taken charge of ponies who quite enjoyed their privacy, and could not imagine sharing living space.

And while a stallion with an adoptive daughter could make a very good case for their own home, so could everyone else.

The only ones winning their particular cases were the dragon and the manticore, although to be fair, nobody was arguing with them.

It seemed like another case for my direct intervention.

Will you all just SHUT IT!

Hey, I never said I had to be polite about it.

Yes, I realize that the amount of houses I got done are not enough for everyone to have one. I intend to remedy this, eventually. Until then, horror of horrors, you'll have to share them. I wanted to go over how this is going to work.

I pointed towards the cleared field and the seeds first. The seeds the djinn have been bringing me have gone here, to this field. Those of you with a talent for farming, this is where you come in. Those of us attuned to Venus will be able to aid you eventually, but until then, it'll just be me helping you provide food for them all.

A few earth ponies in the audience nodded. I moved towards one of the houses.

This is your standard four-walls, floor, and roof arrangement. I haven't had time to get furniture made. I did put in a rudimentary water system, and thanks to Douse and the supposedly untameable weather, we'll not run out of water for any of our needs.

I got a few grumbles at that, and I raised my hand. Hey. It's not gonna be easy. I got the basic outline of a house done. But I can't manipulate energies to provide the details.

A gray unicorn mare came forward, her mane and tail a spiky yellow that her eyes matched. "Well, big guy, I can help with laying electrical lines, but we'd need a way to generate the power. In fact, we could use a utilities department."

I tapped my sword thoughtfully. Well, I have an idea...

-----

All was quiet in Ponyville.

It was only the middle of the night, after all. Most of the ponies were abed.

That is, except for two unicorns, one pegasus, one griffon, and a suit of armor.

We were making our not-so-stealthy way towards Town Hall, in search of some form of document that would tell us who they usually used for utilities work.

"Sir, with all due respect, we could probably do this a lot faster without you here."

"Yeah," the griffon pitched in, "And with a lot less noise."

And your talking is stealthy? We're here, by the way. Someone check the front door.

The unicorn mare gave the handle a quick turn. "Locked," she proclaimed. "I don't suppose you have a technique for picking locks in your arsenal of psynergy?"

I scoffed. This is why we have a pegasus and a griffon. You two, check the windows on the upper floors. My bet is somebody forgot to lock one of those.

They nodded and took off. Two minutes later, the griffon opened the front door from the inside and bowed slightly. "Welcome to Town Hall. Let's see if we can't find that information."

A few minutes worth of looking through the papers in the mayor's desk finally yielded results. "Guys, look. Two hundred bits paid to Crossed Gears of Gears and Co. for adding the latest house to the town's water and electrical grid."

Good, now are there any maps included with that document?

The unicorn mare pulled out a map of the town which had a house highlighted and electrical lines drawn in. I pointed instead at where they all connected. Two teams. One goes to find this Crossed Gears and bring him back to the community. Frostfall, Flare, that'll be you. The djinn tell me you've mastered Sleep, you may need it to keep him down. Meanwhile, Talos, Moonfire, and I will go here, to where the generator is, and we'll study it.

"Sir, why are we ponynapping Crossed Gears?"

Knowledge of how a generator works is all well and good, but we need expertise. Don't worry, he won't be harmed. I'll even try to find a way to recompense him for his troubles.

The other four looked at each other and nodded.

-----

Hmm. An engine to turn a magnet, around which wires are wrapped...bah. I can't make much of this. I understand what goes into it, but I cannot understand the how or why behind its function.

I looked over at the spare generator and I was struck with an idea.

Say...they don't really need this one, do they?

The unicorn and griffon looked at each other, then looked at me. "Um. Are you sure that's wise?"

It probably isn't. But what if I promise we'll find a way to repay them once we've got our town up and running?

"That's...a little better, but I still don't feel right about it..."

Then how about this: We'll take it back to study and try to make our own, along with a few books. Once we have, we'll return them. I'll even leave a note!

The unicorn and griffon looked at each other, swallowed, and nodded. "Fine. But you're carrying it."

Wouldn't have it any other way.

-----
(Twilight POV - 3rd person)

Twilight woke up to another wonderful day in Ponyville. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, there was a note on her bookcase, and the smell of breakfast-

Wait, what was that about a note?

She levitated it over and began to read.

Dear responsible pony,

I am writing to you to tell you that your backup generator has been borrowed, as well as a local who is knowledgeable in these sorts of things. Both will be returned to you once we understand the principles behind the generator and can make our own.

A few books may also have been checked out as well, and they too will be returned. Eventually.

Sincerely,
Dullahan

There was silence for a few seconds, but anypony present would have seen the smoke rising from Twilight's mane.

-----
(Dullahan POV)

Methinks we can let him wake now.

Flare nodded and stopped concentrating. Crossed Gears slowly started to stir, and then he took note of the cadre surrounding him. Realizing this wasn't where he went to bed, he asked the logical question.

"Where the buck am I, and who the buck are you?"

Predictable. You're in the fledgling community of Newvale, and I'm Dullahan.

The pony gulped and slowly turned around to see me standing behind him. I put my hand over his mouth, forcing it shut before he could scream.

We brought you here for a very specific purpose, and it wasn't to yell. See, since we're new, we need the sorts of things any new community needs. Electricity, water. That sort of stuff. You understand, right?

The pony managed to nod once, and I loosed my grip slightly. So last night, we may have borrowed your backup generator, some books on the topic, and you. We need electricity at least if we're going to become a proper town.

The stallion looked over to where the massive machine was and gawped. "How did you carry that thing here?!"

I groused a little bit. Wasn't easy. Nearly passed out a few times on the way here, and you would not believe the branches it can get caught on.

I clapped my gauntlets together. Still! We could use your assistance in making our own electrical grid, good sir! And once we have, we'll return the generator and the books and you! So what say you?

The pony looked at the small pile of books, the generator, me, and then back to the books. "Fine, I'll help, but I'm not staying."

Most excellent!

I then turned towards the houses which were leaking slowly waking ponies and realized something that I had to tell them. Oh right. Okay you lot, gather round! Time you all learned this!

Eventually my small army was situated in front of me, and I called a djinn to me. Right, time for the basic information about a djinn life cycle. As you can see, all of them look alike at this moment. There is a reason for this. When a djinn starts its life, it has no name, nothing to distinguish it from any other djinn of its type.

A few ponies looked shocked at that and raised their hooves, but I overrode them. They may have given you names, but that is for your sake, not theirs. They have given you names they would like to have or names they think will be fitting one day. In truth, a djinn must earn their name. And they do so in a similar fashion to ponies earning their cutie marks.

Recognition lit up a few faces then. They must develop a power that no other djinn in their generation can do, that no psynergy of their alignment can do. Then, they must be named based on that power. Afterwards, their appearance will change to reflect this. The best way for them to go about doing this is for them to bond with a living creature and train with them.

The zebra shamaness came forward. "When you say bond..."

Djinn act as enhancers for those who possess psynergy. When you form a bond with one, then you add their power to yours. Quake can become Quake Sphere, Fireball can become Inferno. And so on. Greater powers become accessible, but the cost to use them is also greater.

She nodded and stepped backwards.

At least, that is how it is for these more docile djinn.

A ripple of panic went through the crowd as they realized what I was implying.

Wild djinn are another story. They already have a name, they already know what they can do, and all djinn can wield psynergy. Wild djinn may not bond willingly with another. They redefine the term fickle. You may need to prove your wits, you may need to chase them down. And sometimes...you may need to prove your mettle. Unless you know if a djinn is docile or wild, the general rule should be: don't approach it!

A pegasus near the back raised a hoof. "Why not?"

There are some who will not hesitate to attack wielders of psynergy in an effort to drive them off so that they may remain unbound.

The ponies finally nodded in acceptance, and I would have grinned. Now, who's up for a few hours worth of grueling exercises in psynergy usage?

A chorus of groans met my 'ears'.